X-Box's Catching Fire?

runescapeloser22

My dad just came up to me and told me that he was watching TV and saw a news commercial about X-Box's randomly catching fires/exploding (when their like "blah blah blah... Learn more about this at 11.") so we googled it and found out that microsoft had a recall notice for the earlier versions of the original xbox's and my family definatly has an original version (we got it the month it came out) so we're wondering if this is true and worth sending in...

heres the link: Clicky

My dad just came up to me and told me that he was watching TV and saw a news commercial about X-Box's randomly catching fires/exploding (when their like "blah blah blah... Learn more about this at 11.") so we googled it and found out that microsoft had a recall notice for the earlier versions of the original xbox's and my family definatly has an original version (we got it the month it came out) so we're wondering if this is true and worth sending in...

This is old old news. Its just the power cable, and this was done almost two years ago. You are safe if it hasn't cought fire yet.

mergedliongr0xe9.gif

Sig by Ikurai

Your Guide to Posting! Behave or I will send my Moose mounted Beaver launchers at you!

This is old old news. Its just the power cable, and this was done almost two years ago. You are safe if it hasn't cought fire yet.

oh didnt notice the date, but my dad said he saw a news thing on it last night :uhh: so i guess we'll just have to watch :-#

oh didnt notice the date, but my dad said he saw a news thing on it last night :uhh: so i guess we'll just have to watch :-#

You can get a free power cord from them that alleviates this problem. We did and we hadn't even had problems with our previous cord.

summerpngwy6.jpg

ya this is old news it was with the power plugs they didnt have power surge thing son them and they could catch on fire

i was sent a free power coord from micrsoft since it was there fault and the send everyone one that there xbox was made before a certain date

a91e22ec.gif
Aefx(started 11/1/2002) Cb: 200 TS: 1900+
Bmms--Jr(Started on 1/24/06)(Banned 11/13/09 ) Cb: 119(pre-eoc) TS: 1700+
Bmms(Started 8/?/2001)(Banned 1/24/06 ) Cb: 101(pre-eoc) TS: 1350+

Anything with eletricity can catch on fire. Just need to happen under correct cirumstances, and XBox had the cord broken or something. (right?)

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

Almost as bad as the 360 scratching CDs beyond use if you lay the console down from the upright position while its running :-w
Dont all CD playing devices say not to move it once its playing something? If you did and got a scratched disk then its your own fault.

The recall notice was for ages ago and as far as im aware none actually spontaniously combusted just made burn marks where they got so hot.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

At first I commented in another thread, but I feel that this is important enough to deserve its own thread.

So, here's the deal. MS lied.

There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with the Xbox power cords. MS just had the recall to cover their butts (they had to do something, but recaling every 1.0/1.1 console would be way too expensive).

The real problem is the Foxlink power supply. There have been numerous reports of "loose power connectors" in xboxes, and the cause of this is that the solder joints on the PSU have actually broken where the connector mounts to the board, which can result in the xbox not powering on, or possibly even sparks, smoke, and fire.

this is a picture taken on one of MY OWN Foxlink 1.0/1.1 power supplies, and sure enough, the solder joints are broken. I checked another psu, they were broken too. So, although MS reports "about 1 in 10,000 failures", the problem is actually much more common, but usually has no results. The Foxlink PSU is a timebomb.

So, instead of taking the costly duty of recalling all older xboxes, what do they do? They give you a power cord with this huge GFI thing. This in no way will solve the problem, it is merely a bandaid. So, when your PSU sparks and shorts out, it just trips a switch instead of catching fire, but your xbox still doesn't work.

With the newer xboxes, you get a replacement power cord that doesnt look any different. Why? Because theres nothing wrong.

All of you with a 1.0 or 1.1, I would HIGHLY suggest checking to see if you have a foxlink PSU, and if you do, to resolder these 2 joints, a huge blob on em seems to fix the problem.

This was MS's uber-lame attempt at a coverup

Haha, could that be true, the above was found from a link on the page you supplied us with.

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/lofiversion/index.php/t361537.html

sig5235ro7.jpg

Almost as bad as the 360 scratching CDs beyond use if you lay the console down from the upright position while its running :-w
Dont all CD playing devices say not to move it once its playing something? If you did and got a scratched disk then its your own fault.

The recall notice was for ages ago and as far as im aware none actually spontaniously combusted just made burn marks where they got so hot.

that there is a good point almost everything with CD's say that

a91e22ec.gif
Aefx(started 11/1/2002) Cb: 200 TS: 1900+
Bmms--Jr(Started on 1/24/06)(Banned 11/13/09 ) Cb: 119(pre-eoc) TS: 1700+
Bmms(Started 8/?/2001)(Banned 1/24/06 ) Cb: 101(pre-eoc) TS: 1350+

Don't look at me, I don't even own one. However, this has to be a bigger deal that you're making it out to be:

http://www.llamma.com/xbox360/news/Xbox ... atched.htm

Metal fans, check out my band!

Poopingman.png

Still the King....

Don't look at me, I don't even own one. However, this has to be a bigger deal that you're making it out to be:

Or more likely, people making it into a bigger deal than it really is.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Or more likely, people making it into a bigger deal than it really is.

I don't think people expect their $60 game discs to get scratched this easily. If thats not a big deal, then nothing is.

Poopingman.png

Still the King....

Turn most disc playing devices on its side/upside down while playing and its likely to scratch. Thats why manuals reccomend against it. If you fail to abide by those suggestions then I have no sympathy

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

Turn most disc playing devices on its side/upside down while playing and its likely to scratch. Thats why manuals reccomend against it. If you fail to abide by those suggestions then I have no sympathy

Look at the game discs on the link I provided. Then go flip any other game console upside down whilst playing, or any CD player, the results will be nowhere near that magnitude. If noticible at all...

Poopingman.png

Still the King....

Look at the game discs on the link I provided. Then go flip any other game console upside down whilst playing, or any CD player, the results will be nowhere near that magnitude. If noticible at all...

It doesn't matter, don't flip it :|

phx.jpg

Gamertag: King Arizona

True that.

"Oh, let's move something that's spinning a $60 game disc a few millimeters above an abrasive plastic surface and pray that nothing happens!"

Then again, there are people that use lighters to check a gas can for petrol...

sigon4.jpg

handed me TWO tissues to clear up. I was like "i'm going to need a few more paper towels than that luv"

It doesn't matter, don't flip it :|

It does matter, haha. Very few people know about this "CD scratching phenomenon" that occurs when you flip any kind of CD player. That, friends, is why something like this is a big deal to 360 owners, they simply don't know/didn't expect this.

Poopingman.png

Still the King....

For the record, my Discman get's the most "flips" and knocks when I travel and it's playing and most of my CD's are perfectly fine :-?

Dunno how the xbox manages to scratch cd's up so :-\

For the record, my Discman get's the most "flips" and knocks when I travel and it's playing and most of my CD's are perfectly fine :-?

Dunno how the xbox manages to scratch cd's up so :-\

Difference in the drive.

Walkman you clip in the CD. Same with a laptop.

The Xbox and the 360 for that matter are like standard DVD-Roms that you'd get in a PC. You wouldn't move your PC about especially onto its side with a spinning CD inside would you?

About the Xbox PSU. I too have an early Xbox, I got my power cable about 2 weeks after the recall was made. This really is OLD news. Easily 1.5+ years.

dwmafianw7.jpg

Notoriously Trollish.