Solar Death Ray!!

Nanosauromo

http://unitednuclear.com/isotopes.htm

;) Although it's $1,000,000 to get enough to poison someone :P

I don't want any elementary school science fair grade polonium man! Vladimir Putin hand-delivers mine!

That's so dumb. I'm wondering, would they really accept larger orders and could they ship it legally? A million dollars is nothing for thousands of dangerous people in the world. Polonium is an extremely lethal radiating substance as you'd obviously figure out.

They really can't ship anything outside of the US (not even mugs o.o)

smithie3.jpg

I just posted something! ^_^ to the terrorist...er... kirbybeam.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My friend gave me an old keyboard to melt. He's trying to win a contest to see who can destroy a keyboard in the most creative way possible. I'd say aligning 81 mirrors to focus the sun is pretty dang creative! :D I'm going to take a movie of this experiment, so y'all will be able to see the Deathray in action!

chompysigpleaseswork.png

You only have to type four extra keys for me to not think "ur" an idiot.

solardeathray.teensupergenius.com

Arnt keyboards made that special pastic that doesnt melt though? So all it will do is go black and smoke a little.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

http://www.solardeathray.com/about.html

Looks interesting...

As for your ray... WOW that looks sooo cool! If you were to put them closer together would that help? I dunno. What you've done so far looks wicked, keep us updated.

:o

Dude thats crazy :P

Paper wouldnt Burn eh?

Paper can be destroyed by my SDR, but not when It's covered in a layer of protective foil. Check the main post.

chompysigpleaseswork.png

At last, I have finally gotten flame! Proof that the Solar Death Ray can ignite cardboard:

cardboard8.jpg

FEAR ME NATURE FOR I AM NANO AND I HAVE MADE FIRE!!

chompysigpleaseswork.png

Yep, we did this at school. It is basically a concave mirror, yet less efficient. I guarantee that a decent proportion people saying 'Wow' on this topic atually have something very very similar to this in their own houses: A satelite dish. It's basically so that you can have a small, inexpensive reciever detecting intense signals, rather than a large, expensive reciever detecting weak signals over the surface area equivalent of the dish.

A project me and a few mates are working on at school at the moment is a teslacoil. Now those are cool!

gal_env_lig_03.jpg

tesla%20coil%20in%20all%20its%20glory1.jpg

See the bottles underneath? They are all filled with exactly the same amount of brine (Salt water), and are all connected by a wire. They act as basically a massive capacitor which will deliver a huge current when the spark gap voltage is exceeded. In basic terms, you plug your mains supply into a small coil of wire, and put that next to a wire with a large number of coils in it. This is basically a transformer, which steps up the voltage of your mains supply by hundreds of times.

This is then wired in Parallel to a High voltage Capacitor (The beer bottles). In parallel with the capacitor is a primary coil and a physical spark gap. When the voltage from the capacitor exceeds that of the voltage needed to breach the spark gap, the circuit sparks and the capacitor discharges through the primary coil. This primary coil then steps up the voltage again to secondary coil, with more coils on it than the primary coil. This secondary coil is then wired to a discharge plate or Torus, (the silver bit on top), wher it discharges to the surrounding air, the walls, or anything withing reach. This whole contraption means that an obscene voltage is discharged from the top of the Torus, making it extremely dangerous if you are anywhere near it and are earthed, and it also makes it extremely cool!

I wouldn't advise making one unless you know what you are doing, they are VERY dangerous, people can, do and have died from using them, the knacker any fine electrical circuits due to the strong electromagnetic pulse the emit, and the are very noisy. But damn are they worth it!

99/99 Fletching, 99/99 Cooking, 96/99 Strength

Hobgoblin11.jpeg

I think your insane #-o

I think Insane is Insane. That is his name after all...Just putting it out there.

Anyway, that project you are doing, Hob, looks awesome! Looks like something I might just take a sprint from 100meters away from it and just run and dive into it. Would probably hurt most likely though. #-o

Actually no, you would only get hurt once you touched the ground. If you threw something into it when it was discharging, it would not get fried, because it is not earthed. It only gets zapped if you have it attached to a wire that is touching the ground.

Hobgoblin11.jpeg

Good job. The experiment looks really good. I am glad you had success when creating and using it. I would like to heat updates on different materials you use and how they burnt. Very interesting.

You can't ever find a place that's nice and peaceful, because there isn't any. You may think there is, but once you get there, when you're not looking, somebody'll sneak up and write "(bleep) you" right under your nose. Try it sometime. I think, even, if I ever die, and they stick me in a cemetery, and I have a tombstone and all, it'll say "Holden Caulfield" on it, and then what year I was born and what year I died, and then right under that it'll say "(bleep) you."

I think I saw something like this on MythBusters, but theirs was huge. I forget what they were trying to light on fire. I think it was like a floating hut they built.

122 Combat : 99 Hits : 99 Attack : 99 Strength

97/99 Defence : 99 Fletching : 99 Woodcutting

oh how i love home-based projects.

me and my dad once made a trebuchet that could throw my 15 year old neighbour across the garden into a paddling pool (yes he's an idiot). he was fine afterwards and it was very funny.

Then there was the time me and my neighbours (theres 3 brothers, all roughly the same age) made an underground den in their garden. We dug a huge hole, made a load of walls then covered it with wood and fake turf. we then put some electrics into it, and had a heater and lightbulbs., and when winter came, it was perfectly safe as the earth was frozen solid. we slept in there for so long...

Also, the same neighbour once got a car bonnet from the local scrapheap, buffered it to perfection, and then we used it as a sled on the massive hill near where we live in winter. we got like 10 people on it at once, but someone broke their leg on it when he got it caught underneath as we were going down...

anyhoo, ace SDR, im looking forward to when you get a video up of something...

supernovasigst7.jpg

a bit off topic, sounds stupid but imagine if you got metal posts with 3 lazer pointers like this lazer.png

and made a big fence, i reckon that would look cool (tiberium sun :P )

nice mirror of death :lol:

JfvHV.png

798M9.png

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen." - Samuel Adams

My new site. [bETA]

Pompey, 'scue me for saying but that sounds like some serious redneck activity!

Mizand, that wouldn't work unless you added smoke, as you cannot see light unless it reflects off something. If you did it your way you would only see a red dot on each of the posts. If you added smoke though, the laser would reflect off the smoke particles into your eye and you would see it.

Hobgoblin11.jpeg

Pompey, 'scue me for saying but that sounds like some serious redneck activity!

Mizand, that wouldn't work unless you added smoke, as you cannot see light unless it reflects off something. If you did it your way you would only see a red dot on each of the posts. If you added smoke though, the laser would reflect off the smoke particles into your eye and you would see it.

Famous last words of a redneck: "Hey y'all! Watch this!" :P

Hobgoblin, you really make me want a Tesla Coil. :pray:

Punctuation.gif

"In so far as I am Man I am the chief of creatures. In so far as I am a man I am the chief of sinners." - G.K. Chesterton

mythbusters_solar.jpg

Mythbusters Ftw!

Prescription:

20%20dollar%20bill%20new%20-%20front%20&%20back.jpg

Print off a few of those and call me in the morning

Ahh, Counterfeit Money...Just what the Doctor ordered! :lol:

lol mythbusters own!!! :D