Fishing: Lobsters, or sharks

lunareklipse

I did some searching and didnt find much that went into detail like I have so I thought I would share my calculations Ive been doing in case anyone is curious.

I based this guide off my fishing level being at 78.

Im using my old character Leinhart1 (I want lunar back :( )

Ive been fishing a ton lately, and it gets very boring, in-fact, Im fishing while im writing this, lol.

Put simply, Lobsters are way better XP actually over double the amount per hour, and sharks are better money per hour, but not by a -ton-

To me fishing is certainly not the way to go if your looking to get rich. It can save you money if you want to spend the time, getting your own food. The higher level you are, the faster you can get some fish of course.

While being bored I started timing my trips from the bank, to the fishing spot, and then back to the bank, and taking averages.

I was fishing in the fishing guild, using the dock closest to the bank exit for all my times.

for lobsters it broke down as so:

my fast trip was 4:03 I would start timing when I closed the bank window, ended timing after putting the fish in the bank and closing the window.

the longest trip was 8:34 when I got a evil bob random that sent me to scaperune :/

on average I would catch a full load in between 5-6 mins so I went with 5.5 mins as the average time per trip

thats basically 11 trips in an hour, making that 297 lobsters.

thats 26,730 xp an hour and about 60k per hour, at between 200-210 ea

for sharks it went as so:

my fastest trip was 19mins

the longest was 19:50 no random encounters on this testing either. so it could go a bit higher

again I used an average of 19.5 mins

thats about 3 trips in an hour, making that 81 sharks in an hour

thats 8,910 xp per hour and about 70-81k an hour depending on prices, anywhere from 850-1000ea ive seen for cooked.

The break down

lobsters: 26k xp an hour / 60k gold per hour

Sharks: 8.9k xp an hour / 70-80k gold per hour

Im interested when sharks will become better xp per hour, but my guess would be around level 90 :/

Now my final conclusion is that:

I dont see fishing as ever being a profitable skill compared to others, even at 99 it probably wouldnt make as much as you could off runecrafting at half the level :(

However I think it would be nice in the long run to not have to spend money on food especially for doing barrows runs, pk'n, ect. ect.

If any of my stuff seems off, or if you have any ideas to add to it all please let me know :)

smallsig2.jpg

RS name- Lunar3klipse, banned 3-16-06: found out theres a new appeal system, I get an extra appeal, fingers crossed.

BTW: Ill give someone a serious dollar, if I can use more than 30kb for a sig size :/ its my hosting for crying out-loud.

• 3 months later...

The current price for cooked shark is 700 gp each probably because of all the auto-fishers.

So 81 sharks is 56,700gp.

Whereas 297 Lobster is 59,400gp.

This means fishing lobsters are better exp per hour.. but also, better money per hour. Which is pretty ridiculous. The cooked shark price needs to go back up otherwise all the legit fishers i think will soon stop.

Currently not active on RuneScape.

dazzuhsiggyfinal.png

not bad, but what about monkfish?

p.s. one would wonder why there are so many sharks in the world since they are such horrible xp. sup3rpur has a realization! autoers ftw!

1-800slayer.png

Retired after 2 accounts and 8 years of scapin...2 accounts over 2,000 total...may my life rest in peace

Brawl Code:5327-0581-3706

for lobsters i would suggest going into world 1 varock bank (the one away from aubury) and selling there because some people are willing to pay the 250 ea for lobs :).

geez why are raw lobs worth more then cooked?!?!?!?!?! makes it so much harder for legit players :wall:

for lobsters i would suggest going into world 1 varock bank (the one away from aubury) and selling there because some people are willing to pay the 250 ea for lobs :).

geez why are raw lobs worth more then cooked?!?!?!?!?! makes it so much harder for legit players :wall:

why are raw worth more than cooked?

because alot of ppl use raw lobs to train cooking, so they pay more for raw, because u cant train cooking with cooked lobs lol

I'm gonna be walking down an alley in varrock, and walka is going to walk up to me in a trench coat and say "psst.. hey man, wanna buy some sara brew"

walka92- retired with 99 in attack, strength, defence, health, magic, ranged, prayer and herblore and 137 combat. some day i may return to claim 138 combat, but alas, that time has not yet come

The current price for cooked shark is 700 gp each probably because of all the auto-fishers.

This means fishing lobsters are better exp per hour.. but also, better money per hour. Which is pretty ridiculous. The cooked shark price needs to go back up otherwise all the legit fishers i think will soon stop.

that wont happen because, not every1 will stop at once itll happen bit by bit, so the price will go back bit by bit as more fishers quite doing sharks, itll eventually reach a point where there are no more fisherman who find it unprofitable to do sharks and the price of sharks will reach a somewhat steady 900 gp or so

haha but what do i know, im f2p :XD:

thats probably what will happen though, over a few years

ironmdefault,demon%20x%20lord.gif

pure:demon_x_king

well... if you want fast food / money, tro to fish monkfishes instead... they are catched as fast as lobsters, are worth more, and give more xp per fish than sharks.,... ^_^ this makes them quite good, huh??

if you want xp, then if you are a high level, maybe monks, or just fly fish in shio village, as that is the fastest xp possible.

Scherzo.png

I must agree. I once saw 4 lvl 3s with random names fishing. Oh well...

Owned_Nex.png

Dungeoneering isn't a skill.

I'm faster than bots at Sorceress Garden.

PM me if you want to chat. My PM is always off.

My keyboard is on fire. Want some?

i'm using lobbies for 99 because i tried fly fishing at shilo and found that i got about the same exp as lobbies because even though i caught them fast it was like 1500 exp per load and lobbies are about 2900 exp per load. so while i get the same exp for each, i get more profit from lobbies (who buys trout and salmon anyway? :shock: ). thus lobbies kick some fly fisherin butt

sonerohi.gifimage,p0wn,orange,lblue.png

Sorry, but nothing new hear. A lot of people know lobsters are faster XP, not as good money as sharks, and sharks are slower XP, and good money makers. Raw sharks are actually down to 650 each at the lowest.

Try to do more runs before you come up with an average amount of time it takes for a load of sharks/lobsters.

ok guide but monkfish sell 300 ea 120exp per and more cooking than lobs!!

anyways if you cant fish monks cuz of quest this is great way.

Whoever said "nothing is impossible", obviously never tried slamming a revolving door.

• 2 months later...
i'm using lobbies for 99 because i tried fly fishing at shilo and found that i got about the same exp as lobbies because even though i caught them fast it was like 1500 exp per load and lobbies are about 2900 exp per load. so while i get the same exp for each, i get more profit from lobbies (who buys trout and salmon anyway? :shock: ). thus lobbies kick some fly fisherin butt

not quite so, the money is neglegable on both anyway, fly fishign i much better exp because you can do 3-4 times more trips per hour than lobbies. it is faster exp

hi, nice calc's

but did you ever thought about power fishing on trouts and salmons at shilo village

u get a really fast load (caught 1.7k in 2 hours) which will make:

850 in 1 hour

450 trouts = 50 exp = 22.5k

400 salmons = 70 exp = 28k

50.5k exp at 1 hour

450 raw trouts 50 ea = 22.5k

400 raw salmons 70 ea = 28k

50.5k ea hour

RegardzZz O Skilling O

i started this account on 29th juli. on 5th august 2007 i reached 74 cooking. from 74 cooking u need to cook 100k lobsters. I cooked 1k/100k

ya, but I did the same thing for lobs vs monks, found that you can fish 1k monks 20 min faster than 1k lobs, more xp too

good guide for those unsure which to choose.

63herb3-1.jpg

Rofl. My chair has a fridge, a cooler, a toilet, a shower, and a barbecue bulit in.

Hey, I may have quite Runescape, but I just bought an XBOX 360 and play way to much COD4 with the Gamertag Lava Mage

• 4 weeks later...

1. Sharks will never be better exp per hour than lobsters.

2. Monkfish are better than lobsters or sharks.

3. For me, i can get roughly 55k exp an hour fishing, so it's not necessarily a slow skill, well, as slow as some people may assume.

4. At my current level, 95, i still refuse to fish shark as a source of income, as it is sabotaged by autoers/gold farmers, and i view monkfish as a better source.

That's my input on this.

P.S. Under 50k until 96 fishing \'

P.P.S As sharks do increase in speed as your levels increase, it's still very not worth the time, because for the time it takes you to fish 1000 sharks, you can fish much more monkfish, or even lobsters.

Buddysig.png

3,200 to 99 Fishing

Achieved August 25, 2007

Very nice guide!

But it takes long time to catch sharks, It doesn't makes any diffrence if i'm catching barbarian or if i'm catching with harpoon, right?

Anyway, i have fished like 10k lobsters and i sold 'em for 200ea that's 2m, soo it's a good way to make money, yes, but doesnt if you are looking for big, HUGE amounts of money, That's what you wrote yea i know.

Folköl Rydén

superb3rra.png

98% Of teenagers surround their minds with rap music, if you are open-minded put this in your signature.

sharks are like magics, no noticable difference between lv 70 and 99. so sharks will never be faster xp than lobbies

1-800slayer.png

Retired after 2 accounts and 8 years of scapin...2 accounts over 2,000 total...may my life rest in peace

Brawl Code:5327-0581-3706

Nice guide.

Monkfish are the best fish overall.

They are faster,more xp, can be sold for more than lobs, and heal more(if you are gonna cook them).

For fishing sharks: Im lvl 98 and there is a slight difference from when I was like lvl 76.

Join CastleWars Vengeance!

memberofcwvoj0.jpg

Drayasha.png