All discussion here: Jan 2, 2006 - Rule 7 and Rule 9 Updated

JIMMIE

Firstly, before I get into the nitty gritty, I'd like to call your attention to this:

You must not reverse-engineer, decompile or modify the Game client software in any way. You must not use a modified/customised version of the client software. You must not create or provide any other means by which the Game may be played by others (including, without limitation, replacement or modified client/server software, server emulators).

As far as I understand it, this FAQ page hasn't been updated in several years. This turn of events only happened recently, but why is everyone so quick to ignore the fine print of their contract that they implicitly signed with Jagex? (And yes, you did sign a contract with them when you created an account with them.)

I'm sorry Makoto, but you misunderstand what a browser like SS is. It absolutely doesn't "reverse-engineer, decompile or modify the Game client software." It is not "a modified/customised version of the client software." It does not "create or provide any other means by which the Game may be played by others" and it is not "replacement or modified client/server software" or "server emulator" software. It accesses the game exactly the same way as any other browser like IE or Firefox does. That is why it has been legal all along.

The "grey" areas had to do advertising and adding unfair advantages. While the software itself did not disable advertising, it did allow the user to do so themselves which breaks the rules. So, even though the software didn't break the rules, it "encouraged" users to do so. It is arguable whether the "world switcher" feature gave users an unfair advantage. The creator of SS always argued that it didn't because you couldn't use the software to switch worlds faster (in crowded world situations, it is actually slower). But, it did keep you from having to get carpal tunnel syndrome from repeated clicking on the full world. This can be argued as giving an advantage because many players would not bother to try to get into the world if they had to continuously click over and over again. And also, if you couldn't get into the new world, you weren't logged out of the old one, so you wouldn't have to log back into it. That could also be considered an advantage. But, by bookmarking the world in IE, you get the same advantages, so this is all very debatable.

The fair trade laws of most countries (and internationally) abhor companies restricting third parties from creating products based on their existing product. It's a way of trying to "corner the market." This would be like GM saying that you can only use GM air cleaners in their cars. Lexmark lost in court when they tried to void people's warranties for using third party toner cartridges. I think Jagex comes very close to committing the same error when they try to say which browser can or can't be used with their product. But, the "newest" version of Rule 7 brings them back into better compliance with the intent of widely recognized fair trade laws, in my humble opinion.

Thanks for explaining that. BBC tried to argue the same point as Mokoto did earlier. SS wins again :P

77yLQy8.png

• Replies 651
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very good points! Also, anybody can resize their browser window to hide the adverts. I'm sure everybody that uses the internet has become completely immune to advertisements anyways. We see them everywhere, yet we've learned to completely ignore them.

I don't see a huge problem (for most people) in SwiftSwitch being modified to show adverts from Runescape.com. Most of us are just going to ignore them anyways.

Besides, it's only fair that way.

benchgy5.gif

Very good points! Also, anybody can resize their browser window to hide the adverts. I'm sure everybody that uses the internet has become completely immune to advertisements anyways. We see them everywhere, yet we've learned to completely ignore them.

I don't see a huge problem (for most people) in SwiftSwitch being modified to show adverts from Runescape.com. Most of us are just going to ignore them anyways.

The adverts are what pay for f2p. If you remove the adverts you remove f2p as well. Andrew said this himself.

The adverts are what pay for f2p. If you remove the adverts you remove f2p as well. Andrew said this himself.

In that case. DO Remove them! :)

Knowledge Talks| | Wisdom Listens

~~Heroes Get Remembered, But Legends Never Die~~

Vitafides.jpeg

Xbox Live & Playstation Network Name: Trojann2

Well, if we remove F2p then members cant buy what f2p gets:

Yews

Ess

...other stuff :-k

and im really confused about this. can u use SS? or can u not?

runey676.png

whatcolor_isblue.jpg

Yews

Ess

Not until its updated this weekend. Then it will be safe to use.

Yews

Ess

Not until its updated this weekend. Then it will be safe to use.

yeah... when this week end... cause its saturday now...

bppetrolsigfb6.png

Even on my death bed, I'll bare-hand that bloody shark.

Sunday is also a weekend. Basically, it's promised that you will be able to use it on Monday.

I personally don't use it, but I believe that's what was said.

sigbad0xt.jpg

Jack of all trades, master of thieving. 259th to 99 thieving. All stats 75+

Sunday is also a weekend. Basically, it's promised that you will be able to use it on Monday.

I personally don't use it, but I believe that's what was said.

no... i was wonderin what day it was for others... so i could get a bearing on when is the weekend...

bppetrolsigfb6.png

riakk... change your avvy... i just freeze up just by looking at it

I was going to eat hot dogs for dinner tonight. I think I will settle for cereal.

OPEN WIDE HERE COMES THE HELICOPTER.

what do you all have against it? please let me know!?!?!

ohh my.. i just started chuckeling when i looked at it.. its a good one :)

mementh.jpeg

The following statement is true. The previous statement is false. 60% of all statistics are made up 90% of the time

andrew i love you & want you to have my babys!!! <3:

Finally, I get to save the Earth with deadly lasers instead of deadly slide shows!

what is SS?

If you can't be bothered to read the 100 other posts answering this question then I will give you a different answer. SS stands for Snake Soup. :roll:

"A time comes when silence is betrayal" MLKJ

Speak your mind, but be civil.

Get mad, but do not rage.

Do unto others as you would want done to yourself.

"]doughnutt.jpg

Follow the doughnut to my blog! :D

what do you all have against it? please let me know!?!?!

ohh my.. i just started chuckeling when i looked at it.. its a good one :)

well thankyou! that was what i was trying to do have a funny avatar... but apparently not...

BTW isnt ss sour soup :uhh:

bppetrolsigfb6.png

Read the updates there, strider will update it when it is ready for use. *sigh*[/url]

Edit - Nevermind, Tip.it word blocker screws the url up no matter how I put it. :(

"]doughnutt.jpg

Read the updates there, strider will update it when it is ready for use. *sigh*[/url]

Edit - Nevermind, Tip.it word blocker screws the url up no matter how I put it. :(

What??? http://www.zybez.net ???

~Mr. Devnull

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

What??? http://www.zybez.net ???

~Mr. Devnull

No, I meant of course

"]doughnutt.jpg

Who needs to do that? Just use the official start site for SS!

~Mr. Devnull

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

SS has been updated :)

...stick that in your pipe and smoke it, SS haters 8-)

well said!!! its not evern that much different... ha! we did itz!!@#$%^&*(

bppetrolsigfb6.png

I second that! :D

I second that! :D

oi i second that! your 3rd pl0x :D ?

bppetrolsigfb6.png

Yay the new version is out. Not a whole lot changed. I'm glad to see it back. Dling it now :D .

Since the new version is legal to use then tip.it needs to allow me to access the official tip.it chat through SS. It's currently blocked.