All discussion here: Jan 2, 2006 - Rule 7 and Rule 9 Updated

JIMMIE

Before I get into good ol' rhetoric here, I'd like to state that if this client took on the normal functionality of a browser - meaning no extra toolbars, no stat lookup, no NOTHING, make it behave just like a browser, then and only then would I not see it as a 3rd party client advantage.

What's wrong with convenience?

Convenience at the cost of violating a rule/exploiting a grey area? Alright then. I won't debate it with you beyond that point.

To Makoto. I respect your decision not to use SS or any other client, but i can see you not always respect others decisions to use any client. Security is in my and your hands, and i do not wish that someone else will take care that for me.

Thanks for respecting my decision, but under no premise am I aruging about security. I'm only debating about the long standing rule that Jagex has written (and enforced so many times) that is being trampled over. You can tell me it wasn't against the rules because it didn't give you an advantage, but it was meant to. It makes things somewhat convienent, as muggiwhplar said himself. Convenience can be seen as an unfair advantage to those of us that don't trust this source.

If you have never tried SS, as Muggi said, you should try it. It has no keyloggers. I was very hasty about trying it at first but eventually tried it. I was kinda freaked out so I scanned it in it's [Caution: ExecutableFile] file, nothing, I scanned it 5 times with 3 different programs as well as my computer, nothing. Also, the creator, Strider, does not even play anymore. He would not give up the good name of his program for a few measly pixels for a game that he doesn't even play. Plus, he is a very nice guy who just wants to make the gaming experience much better for everyone. I am a security nut when it comes to my account's safety so you can take it from me that that is program is safe. Once you try it your pretty much sold to it. After about 30 minutes of using it I was amazed, thinking "why did I not try this before???!?!?". Once the program has been updated, I advise everyone to try it. You WILL love it.

Again, I care not for security, but for the integrity of the rules that Jagex has set before us. Doesn't anyone really pay attention to those anymore? Or is everyone still hell-bent on looking for a loophole to keep using this program?

Why ae people constantly comlaining about SS and other economizing 3rd parties. Some like autotype just help if your a slow typer! I type 30wam and i have dial-up. I could really use auto-type and SS, but noooo people have to complain and out-right abuse these softwares to get us people who really need these 3rd parties seperated from our much needed programs! I say that the Falador Riot yesterday in world 27 helped smack the over-critical sytem on the cheek! If that doesn't help than only one thing can, if all users stopped paying for even a month it would slap down the people that hate thes systems and it would say to Jagex's face "No SS, No Money!"

If you type 30WPM, perhaps you should take typing courses. People pay secretaries somewhat near $13.75/hr if they type over 55WPM or even higher. You can also always upgrade your internet line to DSL at least. Lastly, this is what Mod Burgess had to say about the rioters:

. . . I said that we did not listen to anyone who thought it was appropriate to make their point by causing trouble.

We did listen to those who made their points in a mature and helpful way.

In short, those who tried to help us were allowed to. Those who tried to cause trouble were punished. . . .

If all unfair advantages are to be taken away then take my cannon my Mage Short my Ibans Staff and my Dragon Dagger and throw them away! I say all those opposed to SS try it for 1 day and come back and tell us its unfair! They can't they'll be using it everyday after that because it helps and if they still believe it's unfair tell the fine give me your Barrow's armour, your Dragon weapons, and your ability to Thieve, use shortcuts, and visit far-away places and then lets talk because to Free Players those are advantages that they don't have! If any of you SS haters want to talk let's talk =; ! And noone can say those aren't advantages because can you get to high levels as a F2P? Well can you? No so just hush :shame: .

1. The medium-high level gear you've described (Mage short, Iban Staff, Dragon Dagger) all were earned through hard work using the LEGITIMATE way, NOT through a third party.

2. The abilities that I have acquired throughout the game are a direct result of me training them up tirelessly, and not through a third party.

3. If you want to be a high level, you're stuck with two options: Do it the long way or become a member. This again, has NOTHING to do with a third party client.

Have you ever tryed it? From the way your sounding you haven't. It did not, and soon it will not break any of Jagex's rules (at the moment it does because they updated it, however it did not before). It just brings helpful tools closer together. I certaintly could survive fine without the program but it just makes the game more enjoyable for all that use it. It gives zero ingame advantages in any way.

• Replies 651
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No. I have never tried it.

------

Reread your entire post and then explain to me the contradictory statement that I bolded out for you.

Have you ever tryed it? From the way your sounding you haven't. It did not, and soon it will not break any of Jagex's rules (at the moment it does because they updated it, however it did not before). It just brings helpful tools closer together. I certaintly could survive fine without the program but it just makes the game more enjoyable for all that use it. It gives zero ingame advantages in any way.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

Exactly. ALL IT DOES Is like having tip.it open, Zybez open, mIRC open. And having ANY calculator you want AT THE SAME TIME! I personally wouldn't care if they removed the World Switching part, To be Honest.

Knowledge Talks| | Wisdom Listens

~~Heroes Get Remembered, But Legends Never Die~~

Vitafides.jpeg

Xbox Live & Playstation Network Name: Trojann2

Exactly. ALL IT DOES Is like having tip.it open, Zybez open, mIRC open. And having ANY calculator you want AT THE SAME TIME! I personally wouldn't care if they removed the World Switching part, To be Honest.

Personally, I'd be more comfortable if you ran mIRC, and Firefox/IE with tabs to each of those things. It may seem a bit crowded, but it's best to err on the side of caution.

What am I debating this for anyway...this is your account. Take your chances with it. Just don't tell me to try something out that I feel could very well jeopardise the security, integrity and legality of my account.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

Personally, I'd be more comfortable if you ran mIRC, and Firefox/IE with tabs to each of those things. It may seem a bit crowded, but it's best to err on the side of caution.

What am I debating this for anyway...this is your account. Take your chances with it. Just don't tell me to try something out that I feel could very well jeopardise the security, integrity and legality of my account.

Exactly, You let me use what I want, and Don't bug me about it. If I lose my account, I wouldn't expect you to expect me to come crying to you because "You told me so". I'm mature enough to make my own choices.

Vitafides.jpeg

No. I have never tried it.

------

Reread your entire post and then explain to me the contradictory statement that I bolded out for you.

Whats contradictory about it? It doesn't give unfair advantages in game, and thats what the rules state. Jagex made the rule against 3rd party clients because they believed they had keyloggers. They don't allow you to get into worlds faster, they dont contain autoing programs or anything that IS illegal. All they do is combine all the guides, calcs, highscores, and photocropping into one, easy to use program. Like Trojann said, it the same as having mIRC, tip.it, and all sorts of other things up at the same time, but all condensed.

If you would like to explain my contridictory statement, feel free.

I'm not one to break Jagex's rules, I respect there rules and when they are in place, I follow them.

If you don't like the program thats fine. I've done enough to know that it is safe and to know that it is a great tool to use. I always follow jagex's rules and am currently not using it. But once it is legal I will use it again.

hi everybody,

I made quit a long rant here in I try to explain why the amendment from rules 7 and 9 aren't very clever moves from JAGEX. If you're going to reply to this post please make sure you first read the whole post! I'm sorry if ÃÆÃâÃâÃ

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

What's wrong with convenience?

Convenience at the cost of violating a rule/exploiting a grey area? Alright then. I won't debate it with you beyond that point.

Before the rule change it never violated any rules or anything. It's being updated to agree with the updated rules.

To Makoto. I respect your decision not to use SS or any other client, but i can see you not always respect others decisions to use any client. Security is in my and your hands, and i do not wish that someone else will take care that for me.

Thanks for respecting my decision, but under no premise am I aruging about security. I'm only debating about the long standing rule that Jagex has written (and enforced so many times) that is being trampled over. You can tell me it wasn't against the rules because it didn't give you an advantage, but it was meant to. It makes things somewhat convienent, as muggiwhplar said himself. Convenience can be seen as an unfair advantage to those of us that don't trust this source.

It's not an in-game advantage. According to your definition of an "unfair advantage," talking to my RS friends on MSN or AIM would be an unfair advantage because I can talk without censors and without limits.

If you have never tried SS, as Muggi said, you should try it. It has no keyloggers. I was very hasty about trying it at first but eventually tried it. I was kinda freaked out so I scanned it in it's [Caution: ExecutableFile] file, nothing, I scanned it 5 times with 3 different programs as well as my computer, nothing. Also, the creator, Strider, does not even play anymore. He would not give up the good name of his program for a few measly pixels for a game that he doesn't even play. Plus, he is a very nice guy who just wants to make the gaming experience much better for everyone. I am a security nut when it comes to my account's safety so you can take it from me that that is program is safe. Once you try it your pretty much sold to it. After about 30 minutes of using it I was amazed, thinking "why did I not try this before???!?!?". Once the program has been updated, I advise everyone to try it. You WILL love it.

Again, I care not for security, but for the integrity of the rules that Jagex has set before us. Doesn't anyone really pay attention to those anymore? Or is everyone still hell-bent on looking for a loophole to keep using this program?

But in your previous post I thought you said the reason you wouldn't use SS is because of security. If Strider (creator of SS) was looking for "loopholes," Jagex would address it and change the rules. Jagex and Strider made an agreement regarding the upcoming version of SS, so it's not like Strider was searching for loopholes.

And to Pulli23 - You can change your default browser SS chooses - it opens up websites in Firefox for me now instead of IE :P

77yLQy8.png

I don't think it' right to have SS yet it is extremely useful! Some (yes only some) 3rd parties are unfair but SS is just not 1 of those and I do not say my first sentence in contradiction I say it's not right because of rule 7. But other than that why not use it? I mean if people did use it a lot Jagex would be less compelled to ban it right? I haven't used it but maybe 1hr and I still enjoyed it. It helped me sell my yews on world 2 and helped buy some natures. It after that helped me pc to get 54 range so what's so bad?

Shoot the trees!!! 55 range (updated weekly)

barrows runs ever:1 Tunnel:Veracs

Goals: (range) 55/60 (attack) 53/60 (woodcutting) 68/70 (gold) 2.291m/3.5m

But in your previous post I thought you said the reason you wouldn't use SS is because of security. If Strider (creator of SS) was looking for "loopholes," Jagex would address it and change the rules. Jagex and Strider made an agreement regarding the upcoming version of SS, so it's not like Strider was searching for loopholes.

Exactly about the loopholes, JaGeX even Mentioned Strider on the MAIN PAGE. They Obviously were negociating with him...

Vitafides.jpeg

Off topic but supreme was angry earlier wasnt he??? grr 58 cb 58!

I don't think it' right to have SS yet it is extremely useful! Some (yes only some) 3rd parties are unfair but SS is just not 1 of those and I do not say my first sentence in contradiction I say it's not right because of rule 7. But other than that why not use it? I mean if people did use it a lot Jagex would be less compelled to ban it right? I haven't used it but maybe 1hr and I still enjoyed it. It helped me sell my yews on world 2 and helped buy some natures. It after that helped me pc to get 54 range so what's so bad?

We can't pick and choose, all 3rd party programs should be banned, end of story. Last I checked, being able to switch worlds faster than others is taking advantage of the system.

Metal fans, check out my band!

Poopingman.png

Still the King....

[Mod Edit: If you want to say something to Trojann that's not related to this topic, PM him. ~azn]

We can't pick and choose, all 3rd party programs should be banned, end of story. Last I checked, being able to switch worlds faster than others is taking advantage of the system.

It's like 5 seconds faster -.-

icecube7.jpeg

If u have dsl u can switch almost as fast so its not exactly an advantage yet true we cannot choose but it doent hurt anything.

Why has no1 mentioned rule 9???

You, like many others on this thread who use the same argument, don't know what you're talking about.

77yLQy8.png

The anti-SS users aren't doing so well in this debate. Ironically because most of them don't use SS or know anything about it :P

Exactly, They just try to point out the "Security" Issues, AKA: IRC Chat that Jagex doesn't like. I'd say if they wouldn't be scared and would try it, they don't even have to use their main RS account, and try it, They would love it. And I'm not totally sure, but has anyone else noticed how the Anti-SS users have pretty much used the exact same things just rewording them...? Yes, we have too, but we also have FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE with it. That's the difference people.

trojann2 your siggy angers me gretly pick the daggy u want and stick to it lol!

Do you have ANY CLUE what the Uzzisoft Random Sig Script is...?

Vitafides.jpeg

I agrre Pro-SSers are winning because we have proof that there's no effect let's see ur proof Anti's! Oh and Trojann2 nice questing.

I'll say it again, collectively for like the 50th time, it does not allow you to get into worlds faster. It also does not allow you into worlds that are full. Jagex set the 30 second limit onto the worlds to prevent this. You have to wait just as long as everyone else to switch worlds. It's not just about the world switcher either, the program has everything conveniently placed at your fingertips. MS paint, auto cropping for pics, calcs for everything, quest guides for everything, skill guides for everything, basicly, all the guides and cals tip.it has with a few more. This does not give ingame advantages which is what Jagex is against. There is nothing wrong with liking convenience. Muggiwhiplar is right is saying that the non-SS'ers are loosing this debate purely because they dont know enough about it to put up a good argument. They go mostly by what they hear.

Just wondering...

To all of you who choose not to use SS, why don't you?

(And don't say "because it's illegal." It will be legal this weekend and it was legal prior to the rule-change)

I value the security of my account over a few extra options. While SS may not have anything that will steal my account, I feel safer not using it. Things can happen, i.e. the tip.it forums problem last year.

Also, I don't have a problem having firefox open in another window, with tabs to calcs, hiscores, forums, etc.

As for mIRC, I'm not much of a clan type person, so that's no benefit to me.

well I always wonder why people pst things about security... Who knows what internet explore does (or firefox) maybe Microsoft (or mozzila...) collects all the passwords and just sells them to some hackers? - So why would you trust IE/FF more than any other home-made browser?

pulli23

The difference for me, at least, is that both IE and Firefox are distributed by actual companies. They have more to lose than just the reputation of their name. And just because I trust the big name companies, doesn't mean I should let my guard down and just use whatever is out there.

If Jagex ever made a perfect update, there would be players complaining about nothing to complain about.

[hide=My Stats]Jake_Corsair.png[/hide]

I'll say it again, collectively for like the 50th time, it does not allow you to get into worlds faster. It also does not allow you into worlds that are full. Jagex set the 30 second limit onto the worlds to prevent this. You have to wait just as long as everyone else to switch worlds. It's not just about the world switcher either, the program has everything conveniently placed at your fingertips. MS paint, auto cropping for pics, calcs for everything, quest guides for everything, skill guides for everything, basicly, all the guides and cals tip.it has with a few more. This does not give ingame advantages which is what Jagex is against. There is nothing wrong with liking convenience. Muggiwhiplar is right is saying that the non-SS'ers are loosing this debate purely because they dont know enough about it to put up a good argument. They go mostly by what they hear.

No. I've seen it used on several occasions.

Plus, if it wasn't faster, why would people use it? After all its called "SWIFTswitch" for a reason, eh?

Metal fans, check out my band!

Poopingman.png

Still the King....

Gotta go for a bit... before you anti-SS'ers post, please consider the following points made by both me and other people on this topic (I posted something similar to this earlier, yet few people noticed. I wish this was pasted into the original post):

SS does not allow you to get into worlds faster than someone not using SS. It allows you to log onto a different world as fast, if not slower. If a world you select on SS is full, you have to wait 5 seconds per attempt to select the world again. If you don't use SS, you can just keep reloading the world-select page faster than SS does. Even if a world isn't full and you log onto it, you still have to wait the 30 seconds to get logged into the game just like everybody else.

SS does not keylog people. It is hosted by Zybez/Runescape Community, which are very respectable fansites like Tip.It is. The creator of SS is retired and would not choose to ruin his reputation over pixels for a game he doesn't play.

Nobody is forcing you to use SS. It is only a tool of convenience. Using SS does not make you lazy, nor is it an in-game advantage over other players.

Before the rules update, SS was not illegal and using SS did not make you a rule-breaker. The rules have been updated and SS is currently illegal, however a new update which will make it legal will be released this weekend.

77yLQy8.png

Gotta go for a bit... before you anti-SS'ers post, please consider the following points made by both me and other people on this topic (I posted something similar to this earlier, yet few people noticed. I wish this was pasted into the original post):

SS does not allow you to get into worlds faster than someone not using SS. It allows you to log onto a different world as fast, if not slower. If a world you select on SS is full, you have to wait 5 seconds per attempt to select the world again. If you don't use SS, you can just keep reloading the world-select page faster than SS does. Even if a world isn't full and you log onto it, you still have to wait the 30 seconds to get logged into the game just like everybody else.

SS does not keylog people. It is hosted by Zybez/Runescape Community, which are very respectable fansites like Tip.It is. The creator of SS is retired and would not choose to ruin his reputation over pixels for a game he doesn't play.

Nobody is forcing you to use SS. It is only a tool of convenience. Using SS does not make you lazy, nor is it an in-game advantage over other players.

Before the rules update, SS was not illegal and using SS did not make you a rule-breaker. The rules have been updated and SS is currently illegal, however a new update which will make it legal will be released this weekend.

well said!!!

bppetrolsigfb6.png

Even on my death bed, I'll bare-hand that bloody shark.