All discussion here: Jan 2, 2006 - Rule 7 and Rule 9 Updated

JIMMIE

Just wondering...

To all of you who choose not to use SS, why don't you?

(And don't say "because it's illegal." It will be legal this weekend and it was legal prior to the rule-change)

I choose not to use SS because for three reasons:

1. I value my hard disk space; doesn't matter how small you say it is, I can get the exact same functionality out of a browser. Sure, it might not have all the fancy stat lookups and what have you, but it makes me feel much more secure than trusting someone who wrote it specifically for RuneScape.

2. I don't agree with the concept of a worldswitcher. If it were so simple I'd bookmark things in Firefox.

3. More than half the time I'm online, I'm using LINUX (Ubuntu 6.06/6.10). Since it's using IE technology, using anything related to IE on Linux is both pointless, a waste of time and a burn of finding out that Wine won't support it.

(And no, I have never used SS. I never plan to either.)

EDIT:

I've scanned SS and I've gotten nada.

Technically, a keylogger is NOT a virus. So a virus-specific scan may not pick them up.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

• Replies 651
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Technically, a keylogger is NOT a virus. So a virus-specific scan may not pick them up.

The good ones, will. :wink:

Knowledge Talks| | Wisdom Listens

~~Heroes Get Remembered, But Legends Never Die~~

Vitafides.jpeg

Xbox Live & Playstation Network Name: Trojann2

I said "virus-specific" scanners, not "virus scanners". Of course a couple of decent "complete" scanners out there will pick them up.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg

Just wondering...

(And don't say "because it's illegal." It will be legal this weekend and it was legal prior to the rule-change)

I value the security of my account over a few extra options. While SS may not have anything that will steal my account, I feel safer not using it. Things can happen, i.e. the tip.it forums problem last year.

Also, I don't have a problem having firefox open in another window, with tabs to calcs, hiscores, forums, etc.

As for mIRC, I'm not much of a clan type person, so that's no benefit to me.

If Jagex ever made a perfect update, there would be players complaining about nothing to complain about.

[hide=My Stats]Jake_Corsair.png[/hide]

I said "virus-specific" scanners, not "virus scanners". Of course a couple of decent "complete" scanners out there will pick them up.

Sorry, but I find it quite stupid to only VIRUS scan somthing that you think could have a keylogger. Just my 2 cents.

Vitafides.jpeg

lolz anti virus software picks up keyloggers. Jagex even says to get a good virus software to get rid of them. keyloggers arent ment just for runescape. the millions of dollars made in stolen bank accounts means that virus fighting software will get rid of them.

also if you have even a decent firewall, it will pick up and block the programs attemts to send off the information.

Americans love to fight. All real Americans love the sting of battle.

George S. Patton

1242631666.png

lolz anti virus software picks up keyloggers. Jagex even says to get a good virus software to get rid of them. keyloggers arent ment just for runescape. the millions of dollars made in stolen bank accounts means that virus fighting software will get rid of them.

also if you have even a decent firewall, it will pick up and block the programs attemts to send off the information.

No...If you have SS added to the Allow list, it will go right through. Granted if they programmer (NOT SAYING SS HAS A KEYLOGGER) was smart enough and didn't just put a keylogger in the installer, so that it wouldn't send the info out with the SS name for the computer...

In other words, The installer would put a keylogger on your computer. And not just be embedded in SS and send the info as you play Runescape using the same things that it sends out. Not a whole other seperate program installed.

Vitafides.jpeg

Sorry, but I find it quite stupid to only VIRUS scan somthing that you think could have a keylogger. Just my 2 cents.

To be specific, I scanned it with AVG Free, CA Anti-Virus and Webroot Spy Sweeper and got nothing.

And I've scanned my computer multiple times with AVG Free and Spy Sweeper (CA Anti-Virus freezes my computer when it tries to scan) since I downloaded and installed SS and i've gotten nothing.

R.I.P The Old Nite. Heroes get remembered. But Legends never die. You were truly a Runescape Legend

newbankofrsyq0.gif

Just wondering...

Because we somehow manage to sum up the energy to click the "World Select" button at the top of the screen.

Seriously, okay. You're slightly inconvinienced, get over it and get a life. This barely changes ANYTHING.

I'd rather spend less than 5 minutes downloading and installing it so I don't have to spend 5 minutes screenshotting, cropping, and uploading every single screenshot I take (which is a lot). I couldn't care less if the world-switcher feature was removed for it (though people like you seem to think all SS is is a world-switcher). The RS highscores also won't tell you how close you are to the next level of a skill, nor do they allow you to look up someones stats quickly when needed. What's wrong with convenience?

77yLQy8.png

To Muggi and Trojan2. You guys are those few rare people who understands whats going on. Thank you

On other news. Since at work tip.it is blocked i couldn't follow todays even. Anyways I'm glad to hear that Jagex did listen to people, particularly the ones with serious arguments.

To Makoto. I respect your decision not to use SS or any other client, but i can see you not always respect others decisions to use any client. Security is in my and your hands, and i do not wish that someone else will take care that for me.

As in debate for virus: I had change to scan this client with McAfee enterprise edition, Norton 2006, AGV, ad-ware lawasof, and zone alarm spybot. I couldn't find anything in SS from official site. However if someone will download fake client with built-in keyloger ... well they deserve to be hacked, banned and kicked out from Runescape community.

Congratulations to Jagex who listen to people, also to people who managed put smart arguments for and against 3rd party software.

1500+ total 89 cmb; 1600+ total and under 93 cmb.

02/04/07 reached all skills 60+ under lvl 90 cmb.

07/19/07 reached all skills 70+ at lvl 93 cmb.

Prayer is good for herbs

If you have never tried SS, as Muggi said, you should try it. It has no keyloggers. I was a little scared about trying it at first but eventually tried it. I was kinda freaked out so I scanned it in it's [Caution: ExecutableFile] file, nothing, I scanned it 5 times with 3 different programs as well as my computer, nothing. Also, the creator, Strider, does not even play anymore. He would not give up the good name of his program for a few measly pixels for a game that he doesn't even play. Plus, he is a very nice guy who just wants to make the gaming experience much better for everyone. I am a security nut when it comes to my account's safety so you can take it from me that that is program is safe. Once you try it your pretty much sold to it. After about 30 minutes of using it I was amazed, thinking "why did I not try this before???!?!?". Once the program has been updated, I advise everyone to try it. You WILL love it.

anf if your complaing how we ss users are getting unfair advantages... omg just get sss and get the same "advantages" your selves!!!!!!!!

bppetrolsigfb6.png

Even on my death bed, I'll bare-hand that bloody shark.

anf if your complaing how we ss users are getting unfair advantages... omg just get sss and get the same "advantages" your selves!!!!!!!!

That the best point to those people who don't wanna try SS but just complain.

you can always change pass one day, check out client, uninstall, scan you PC, change new password and see if anyone will do anything

1500+ total 89 cmb; 1600+ total and under 93 cmb.

02/04/07 reached all skills 60+ under lvl 90 cmb.

07/19/07 reached all skills 70+ at lvl 93 cmb.

Prayer is good for herbs

I have never used SS though i wanted to and the day I was getting it up pops the update...

I think macros should be removed and they do cause very unfair advantages but so does using a cannon on a rock crab or ddsing a poor noob in deep wildy so why don't we get id of those huh? Because they just give an advantage to money making and effective killing! Doesn't SS give the same if not less of an advantage?

Shoot the trees!!! 55 range (updated weekly)

barrows runs ever:1 Tunnel:Veracs

Goals: (range) 55/60 (attack) 53/60 (woodcutting) 68/70 (gold) 2.291m/3.5m

Why ae people constantly comlaining about SS and other economizing 3rd parties. Some like autotype just help if your a slow typer! I type 30wam and i have dial-up. I could really use auto-type and SS, but noooo people have to complain and out-right abuse these softwares to get us people who really need these 3rd parties seperated from our much needed programs! I say that the Falador Riot yesterday in world 27 helped smack the over-critical sytem on the cheek! If that doesn't help than only one thing can, if all users stopped paying for even a month it would slap down the people that hate thes systems and it would say to Jagex's face "No SS, No Money!"

If all unfair advantages are to be taken away then take my cannon my Mage Short my Ibans Staff and my Dragon Dagger and throw them away! I say all those opposed to SS try it for 1 day and come back and tell us its unfair! They can't they'll be using it everyday after that because it helps and if they still believe it's unfair tell the fine give me your Barrow's armour, your Dragon weapons, and your ability to Thieve, use shortcuts, and visit far-away places and then lets talk because to Free Players those are advantages that they don't have! If any of you SS haters want to talk let's talk =; ! And noone can say those aren't advantages because can you get to high levels as a F2P? Well can you? No so just hush :shame: .

I wanna be a lawyer when I grow up! \' :thumbsup: =D> =P~ :) :D :o :lol: :mrgreen: :XD:

SS Doesn't have an autotyper. So I'm not sure how this is able to be called a Macro Machine. :?

BTW, Zune, Want to NOT QUAD post again, Please?

Edit: Wow, Somone reported Wakka's latest post...Kinda sad, Why would you report that?

Vitafides.jpeg

Off topic sorta, but Strider doesn't play anymore? Aw, never knew that.

I saw him in-game at one of N0valyfe's last parties before he left though. :D

thats what I heard, I know he plays WOW now, he might do both.
My friend claims to know him in game and says he still plays, but I sort of don't believe him.

Quit RS, combat 104, total 1651

ugafan2009.png

Just wondering...

Because we somehow manage to sum up the energy to click the "World Select" button at the top of the screen.

Seriously, okay. You're slightly inconvinienced, get over it and get a life. This barely changes ANYTHING.

Bleh, please don't reply if you don't know what you are talking about.

SS is much more than changing worlds quickly. Loads of tools that make it great.

Quit RS, combat 104, total 1651

ugafan2009.png

Before I get into good ol' rhetoric here, I'd like to state that if this client took on the normal functionality of a browser - meaning no extra toolbars, no stat lookup, no NOTHING, make it behave just like a browser, then and only then would I not see it as a 3rd party client advantage.

What's wrong with convenience?

Convenience at the cost of violating a rule/exploiting a grey area? Alright then. I won't debate it with you beyond that point.

To Makoto. I respect your decision not to use SS or any other client, but i can see you not always respect others decisions to use any client. Security is in my and your hands, and i do not wish that someone else will take care that for me.

Thanks for respecting my decision, but under no premise am I aruging about security. I'm only debating about the long standing rule that Jagex has written (and enforced so many times) that is being trampled over. You can tell me it wasn't against the rules because it didn't give you an advantage, but it was meant to. It makes things somewhat convienent, as muggiwhplar said himself. Convenience can be seen as an unfair advantage to those of us that don't trust this source.

If you have never tried SS, as Muggi said, you should try it. It has no keyloggers. I was very hasty about trying it at first but eventually tried it. I was kinda freaked out so I scanned it in it's [Caution: ExecutableFile] file, nothing, I scanned it 5 times with 3 different programs as well as my computer, nothing. Also, the creator, Strider, does not even play anymore. He would not give up the good name of his program for a few measly pixels for a game that he doesn't even play. Plus, he is a very nice guy who just wants to make the gaming experience much better for everyone. I am a security nut when it comes to my account's safety so you can take it from me that that is program is safe. Once you try it your pretty much sold to it. After about 30 minutes of using it I was amazed, thinking "why did I not try this before???!?!?". Once the program has been updated, I advise everyone to try it. You WILL love it.

Again, I care not for security, but for the integrity of the rules that Jagex has set before us. Doesn't anyone really pay attention to those anymore? Or is everyone still hell-bent on looking for a loophole to keep using this program?

Why ae people constantly comlaining about SS and other economizing 3rd parties. Some like autotype just help if your a slow typer! I type 30wam and i have dial-up. I could really use auto-type and SS, but noooo people have to complain and out-right abuse these softwares to get us people who really need these 3rd parties seperated from our much needed programs! I say that the Falador Riot yesterday in world 27 helped smack the over-critical sytem on the cheek! If that doesn't help than only one thing can, if all users stopped paying for even a month it would slap down the people that hate thes systems and it would say to Jagex's face "No SS, No Money!"

If you type 30WPM, perhaps you should take typing courses. People pay secretaries somewhat near $13.75/hr if they type over 55WPM or even higher. You can also always upgrade your internet line to DSL at least. Lastly, this is what Mod Burgess had to say about the rioters:

. . . I said that we did not listen to anyone who thought it was appropriate to make their point by causing trouble.

We did listen to those who made their points in a mature and helpful way.

In short, those who tried to help us were allowed to. Those who tried to cause trouble were punished. . . .

If all unfair advantages are to be taken away then take my cannon my Mage Short my Ibans Staff and my Dragon Dagger and throw them away! I say all those opposed to SS try it for 1 day and come back and tell us its unfair! They can't they'll be using it everyday after that because it helps and if they still believe it's unfair tell the fine give me your Barrow's armour, your Dragon weapons, and your ability to Thieve, use shortcuts, and visit far-away places and then lets talk because to Free Players those are advantages that they don't have! If any of you SS haters want to talk let's talk =; ! And noone can say those aren't advantages because can you get to high levels as a F2P? Well can you? No so just hush :shame: .

1. The medium-high level gear you've described (Mage short, Iban Staff, Dragon Dagger) all were earned through hard work using the LEGITIMATE way, NOT through a third party.

2. The abilities that I have acquired throughout the game are a direct result of me training them up tirelessly, and not through a third party.

3. If you want to be a high level, you're stuck with two options: Do it the long way or become a member. This again, has NOTHING to do with a third party client.

s1L0U.jpg