All discussion here: Jan 2, 2006 - Rule 7 and Rule 9 Updated

JIMMIE

The main reason why jagex wants to ban 3rd party is because stupid ppl cannot secure their own accounts and crying out loud after they getting hurt. This is nothing to do with most of 3rd party clients, but because we have plenty of low IQ players in game, jagex simply decide to ban it. SS DOES NOT give any unfair advantage, it gives convenience and pleasure to play. like most of other people said, try it once and see what advantage it gives to you.

lol U do know that convenience is a Advantage right? lol

Jagex wouldnt go after fan sites becuase u dont have to download possible corupted files to use them.

Sirhappy2002.png

• Replies 651
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The main reason why jagex wants to ban 3rd party is because stupid ppl cannot secure their own accounts and crying out loud after they getting hurt. This is nothing to do with most of 3rd party clients, but because we have plenty of low IQ players in game, jagex simply decide to ban it. SS DOES NOT give any unfair advantage, it gives convenience and pleasure to play. like most of other people said, try it once and see what advantage it gives to you.

lol U do know that convenience is a Advantage right? lol

Jagex wouldnt go after fan sites becuase u dont have to download possible corupted files to use them.

It does not give an ingame advantage, and that is what counts. Nothing on SS makes your character any better then the characters around you.

I have never tried SS. Quite frankly, from what I've read here, after it has been updated, I think I will give it a try.

When I play RS, I always have another browser with Tip.It forum, Tip.it Site on some guide, world map, fairy rings map, calculator (sometimes 2), notepad and what have you open. It would be nice to see some of these things combined. I don't understand what is so terrible about the tool.

However, Jagex really should put some time into exploring the fanmade stuff and endorse the good things. I don't see why they spend so much time on their knowledge bases, when they could just acknowledge some fan sites (e.g. by giving Fansite of the Month rewards or something like that).

Even after the update, we will continue wondering if Jagex really is OK with SS. They will never do an official statement for this and we will never be really, exclusively sure, never ending this discussion. Jagex should work together with the fansites. This could only prove to be advantageous for both sides and the players, who would be guided away from the nasty keylogging stuff.

I don't use SS, because it crashes when I do world select, but I think it gives you an unfair advantage in automatically trying to get into full worlds. Besides that it's really cool. It doesnt steal your password or something and has handy tools.

getfirefoxmo6.gif

Happy 2007. It's going to be an exciting year...

Yeah, two days into the year they piss off hundreds of thousands of players. High five!

wrong.

two days into the year they piss off hundreds of thousands of rule breakers. High five!

Until January 2nd, those people were NOT rule breakers!!

truevamopcopynh4.gif

When I Have It, It's the World's. When I Don't Have It, The World Is Mine.

[bleep], I'm sick for four days and I come back to see third party clients banned? >=O
"were" banned. They have to follow strict guidelines now. Strider is updating ss and it will be legal this weekend.

But once its done being updated would it be worth using it? It may be so [bleep]ed over that by the time it is released it will suck. just a thought.

"A time comes when silence is betrayal" MLKJ

Speak your mind, but be civil.

Get mad, but do not rage.

Do unto others as you would want done to yourself.

"]doughnutt.jpg

Follow the doughnut to my blog! :D

[bleep], I'm sick for four days and I come back to see third party clients banned? >=O
"were" banned. They have to follow strict guidelines now. Strider is updating ss and it will be legal this weekend.

But once its done being updated would it be worth using it? It may be so [bleep] over that by the time it is released it will suck. just a thought.

I doubt it. The only thing I could see being taken out is the 5 load for full worlds. It will just be minor things I believe.

I doubt it. The only thing I could see being taken out is the 5 load for full worlds. It will just be minor things I believe.

Well only time will tell.

"]doughnutt.jpg

Well only time will tell.

yeah im abit curious about this update aswell...

bppetrolsigfb6.png

Even on my death bed, I'll bare-hand that bloody shark.

really doesnt affect me.. I usually have several tabs going in Firefox, each with a different world for fast switching... pointless rule change IMO.

Always Rollin' in RSC

Do you love Harry Potter ?

sdik 3 evah yeht ,ynnig seirram yrrah

I have never tried SS. Quite frankly, from what I've read here, after it has been updated, I think I will give it a try.

When I play RS, I always have another browser with Tip.It forum, Tip.it Site on some guide, world map, fairy rings map, calculator (sometimes 2), notepad and what have you open. It would be nice to see some of these things combined. I don't understand what is so terrible about the tool.

However, Jagex really should put some time into exploring the fanmade stuff and endorse the good things. I don't see why they spend so much time on their knowledge bases, when they could just acknowledge some fan sites (e.g. by giving Fansite of the Month rewards or something like that).

Even after the update, we will continue wondering if Jagex really is OK with SS. They will never do an official statement for this and we will never be really, exclusively sure, never ending this discussion. Jagex should work together with the fansites. This could only prove to be advantageous for both sides and the players, who would be guided away from the nasty keylogging stuff.

The first line you wrote is where Jagex have made the massive error. They do not recomend using ANY 3rd party software, but this whole incident has made people more likly to use them, when they were aiming to get less people to use them.

I stand by my origional assumption that it must give an advantage to playing RS else banning it would not have got such an outcry, so must be against the rules.

And no, I will not try it, but saw several of the rants complaining that banning it made parts of the game harder. Those players clearly have used it and think that it gives them an in-game advantage.

(Any in-game advantage must be unfair, as those not using it dont have it)

If it wasn't a in-game advantage then why the hell is everyone getting there panties in a knot? :roll:

"]doughnutt.jpg

For heaven's sake, do you think Jagex would have listened to Strider if he hadn't made some valid points? And the other way around, Strider seems to really care about Jagex' opinion, he's updating the software as fast as he can, is he not? Looks like pretty decent communicating between two reasonable parties.

Of course SS would give you an advantage, by containing calculators etc. But it's not an advantage to be felt in the game itself. It would spare me pencil, papers, calculators and a clog of browsers. I've taken a look at the website of SS, and it looks perfectly balanced, adult and trustworthy to me.

And btw, I'm an avid fan of the rules implemented by Jagex; I would never want to break them. I wouldn't exactly be upset if SS weren't allowed anymore (since I've never used it before) - but if Jagex is OK with it, I don't see why I shouldn't try it out. Sure they disencourage it, because there are many malicious programs out there. Obviously, they don't feel SS is that.

If this means more people are going to try out decent, trustworthy 3rd party programs instead of random crap they find on the net, this is a good deal for Jagex as well.

I stand by my origional assumption that it must give an advantage to playing RS else banning it would not have got such an outcry, so must be against the rules.

And no, I will not try it, but saw several of the rants complaining that banning it made parts of the game harder. Those players clearly have used it and think that it gives them an in-game advantage.

There is no advantage in using SS. Players are upset because the game was more convenient to play. For example, I like to be able to hold my mouse over a skill display and see how much XP I need to get to the next level while I'm training. This is convenient so I don't have fo figure it in my head from the in-game display by subtracting my current XP from the Xp for the next level or typing it into a calculator. Convenience is all. It doesn't help me one bit to get to level 99 in that skill. Same with IRC chat. Sure, you can open two windows and resize them to display properly on the page everytime you start to play RS. But, it is much more convenient to just open one window and begin playing. No advantage whatsoever.

I have finally determined that those opposed to others using third party clients just think that others might be enjoying the game more than them and are jealous. That's the only thing that could explain their position and the false things they are saying.

EDIT:

P.S. I have taken to loading SS and resizing my IE window so that it fits above the skill display. That way I can still hover over them while I'm playing and check my stats. I can't check other's hiscores though, or use IRC without the SS window covering my game window.

If it wasn't a in-game advantage then why the hell is everyone getting there panties in a knot? :roll:

Because they don't know anything about SS

thats the thing! we have all these people saying oh ss is bad, unfair advantage etc... most of you dont know anything!!! if its an unfair advantage, advantage none the less, why dont you use this advantage for yourself... its your choicce! and its not even an advantage!!! its helpful... not cause we lazy... its just helpful having this utilities there with us...

bppetrolsigfb6.png

There is no advantage in using SS. Players are upset because the game was more convenient to play. For example, I like to be able to hold my mouse over a skill display and see how much XP I need to get to the next level while I'm training. This is convenient so I don't have fo figure it in my head from the in-game display by subtracting my current XP from the Xp for the next level or typing it into a calculator. Convenience is all. It doesn't help me one bit to get to level 99 in that skill. Same with IRC chat. Sure, you can open two windows and resize them to display properly on the page everytime you start to play RS. But, it is much more convenient to just open one window and begin playing. No advantage whatsoever.

I have finally determined that those opposed to others using third party clients just think that others might be enjoying the game more than them and are jealous. That's the only thing that could explain their position and the false things they are saying.

EDIT:

P.S. I have taken to loading SS and resizing my IE window so that it fits above the skill display. That way I can still hover over them while I'm playing and check my stats. I can't check other's hiscores though, or use IRC without the SS window covering my game window.

im with you on this... i fish ALOT... i love checking every 15mins, on the timer that shows how long your playing (handy), how much exp i have to get for nexty lvl... it also help with genie choices... i see theiving... i have 300 exp to next lvl... ill use on that! and im no lazy... definatley not... i use ss for conveinience...thats all it is...and if you dont like it go play your game while we play ours... we'll probably get "banned" anyway!

bppetrolsigfb6.png

Edit: I also like SS's music muter.

Also, If you need to turn Music off, with Windows XP. Open up your Sound Control and Mute "SW Synth" :)

Okay, cool. I'll try that. What sounds does muting SW Synth mute?

R.I.P The Old Nite. Heroes get remembered. But Legends never die. You were truly a Runescape Legend

newbankofrsyq0.gif

If its not an advantage then why is everyone getting so upset, you should be able to play like other people. :-w

"]doughnutt.jpg

If its not an advantage then why is everyone getting so upset, you should be able to play like other people. :-w

by other people so you mean ss or rs... cause that is where the problem lies

bppetrolsigfb6.png

by others so you mean ss or rs... cause that is where the problem lies

If SS is not an advantage then the new rule should not have caused the spam and riots that it did. Having things easier is an advantage, whether you want to admit that or not. :roll:

"]doughnutt.jpg