Music. Because of the Lyrics, or the Instruments?

woopidoo2

My father wants me to listen to music which have 'good' lyrics, listen to Christian bands. Now I have tried, but I dont like 90% of all those bands because I dont like their way of making music.

Do you listen to music, because you like the lyrics or more because of the instruments, and the rythm?

carsignatureis3.jpg

[http://woopidoo2.deviantart.com]

[Tip.it Moderator from Dec 10, 2006 to 03 Sep, 2008]

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mainly the sound of the music & the vocals. Lyrics are something extra on top. Although in the case of love songs I'd say it's the other way round. A beautiful set of lyrics really gets the tears streaming :D

ragenori9bosq4.gif

Thanks Venomai for this super sig and Kwimbob for the awesome avatar!

Hard to say. You don't listen to Dylan for the instrumentals, and you don't listen to Hendrix for the great lyrics. Of course there's more to it than lyrics and instrumentals. :)

Just listen what you want to listen. :)

21o4pav.jpg

Signature by Maurice Sendak

When the stars make you drool just like a pasta fazool, that's amore!

The combination. It's not always a perfect combination, and sometimes as Daan said, i'll ignore the lyrics but love the harmony, melody and sound of it, or vice versa.

To find a good combination of the two is often what makes a song special.

"Da mihi castitatem et continentam, sed noli modo"

Mainly the sound of the music & the vocals. Lyrics are something extra on top. Although in the case of love songs I'd say it's the other way round. A beautiful set of lyrics really gets the tears streaming :D

I agree, I think it is the sound of the music and vocals, if a song has good lyrics, its a plus.

3textsz2.png

< | Runehead | Learning Java Programming, Please PM Me Tips | Signature by Loaf2000 | >

i definately listen to music for the overall sound rather than the lyrics. i just downloaded a load of songs by a mexican rock band and it's all in spanish hehe.

although when the lyrics are generic and predictable it kinda puts me off sometimes.

vocals have to be good though, even if i don't think the lyrics are.

joshuatreenr9.jpg

I'd say both. Music to me is the instrumetation laying down a feeling and then the lyrics converying that to the audience through a message. I do like a good instrumental, however. 'ashes of the wake' by lamb of god (best instrumental ever in my opinion) and 'there will be no violins when you die' by IKTPQ are two that spring to mind.

Although great lyrics are really, nice (and what separate good bands from outstanding bands), it really is more about the overall sound. However, singing is a really big part of the overall sound. Take for example, Elton John. Most of the time, the lyrics in his songs are good, but even when there isn't much too them, the words are written for his voice. Often in music, the way the words and voice sound, are more important than what they are saying. His voice becomes almost more like another instrument.

For a contrasting example, take Guns 'n' Roses or ACDC. They could be singing the greatest words in the world, and have the best instrumental music (both do, actually have really good music), but the voices sound so bad that I really can't enjoy their music.

But like I said, lyric meaning is a bonus, and combined with everything else, make for the best music.

bestsiggycopy5bo.jpg

Mainly for the instrumental backing. I listen to music in other languages (usually without understanding a word), so, evidently, I pay more attention to the music than the lyrics. Hmm, which is why I'm such a huge fan of Phantom of the Opera. It always sounds good no matter which language it's performed in. But that's my opinion.

Do you listen to music, because you like the lyrics or more because of the instruments, and the rythm?

I take account to all factors. Music needs a rhythm, a pattern, a structure and a message in its own.

Instruments, vocals, lyrics, style, type, all those details support the specific kind of music.

Some genre of music doesn't need the same requirement of another genre {such as singing, lyrics, or vocals.} It can still be perfected and still be considered as music.

To sum up, you need to listen and notice all the factors to listen the entire musical play..

-=Aznhuskarl=- Cleric

-=20Cent=- Juggernaught

More to come...

Well, I can't choose. Can't help it that it's this easy for you, Shady.

And that wasn't the question btw, the question was:

21o4pav.jpg

Signature by Maurice Sendak

When the stars make you drool just like a pasta fazool, that's amore!

I listen to a lot of music that doesn't have any lyrics, and I enjoy them a lot. I don't know of any time I listened to something with just someone singing, and no instruments to back them up. I guess I'll have to go with instrumentals are more important.

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

Well, I can't choose. Can't help it that it's this easy for you, Shady.

And that wasn't the question btw, the question was:

That's what I said :| You have to choose either way