[REVISED] Assist System: Detailed Guide, Review, FAQ & More

qeltar

{People liked my first special report here on the Tip.It forums, so I am going to continue putting up report summaries of topics I think people will want to read about. My hope is that this can stay in General as it is about a new update and should be of general interest, and I will be here to answer comments or criticisms. Thanks. --q}

TruthScape Special Reports - Understanding the RuneScape Assist System

Note to readers: I have written a full report on the new Assist System, which is published on my site as TruthScape Special Reports - Understanding the RuneScape Assist System. It is too long (11,000 words) to reformat for the forums and repost in its entirety, so I am excerpting here portions from the FAQ and the page on myths and truths about this new feature. Those who want more details can reference the full writeup, including an introduction and general description, information on requesting and offering assistance, details on using the system with specific skills, a discussion of complaints and controversies, and finally, my suggestions, recommendations and conclusions. Enjoy! :)

The RuneScape Assist System - Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

The new Assist System (AS) is simple in concept, but can be quite tricky to understand because of all the skills it affects, and the various restrictions and limits on its use. Another factor is that there are so many misconceptions, false assumptions and silly rumors flying around that itÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s hard to figure out whatÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s true and whatÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s false.

To assist you (ha ha) in getting answers fast, IÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢ve included a list of frequently asked questions (FAQs) and answers related to the new feature. The list is broken into sections that roughly parallel the structure of this review, and some answers refer to other places in the guide where you can get more information if you want it.

General Rules and Restrictions

Q1-1: Can the Assist System be used for all skills?

A1-1: No, only 13 skills are supported: Construction, Cooking, Crafting, Farming, Fishing, Fletching, Herblore, Hunter, Magic, Mining, Runecrafting, Smithing and Woodcutting.

Q1-2: Can you do anything in those skills?

A1-2: There are specific restrictions and limits in how the skills can be borrowed, to prevent abuses such as cheating on quests.

Q1-3: How much assistance can I provide to others?

A1-3: ThereÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s a 30,000 XP limit per day in using the Assist System.

Q1-4: Is the XP limit 30,000 total or per skill?

A1-4: A total of 30,000 XP across all skills every 24 hours.

Q1-5: How is the 24-hour period measured?

A1-5: The game measures it from the time you first start assisting someone; it resets 24 hours after that point.

Q1-6: Can I use the Assist System to get special, quest or untradeable items?

A1-6: No.

Q1-7: Can the AS allow me to access a guild?

A1-7: No.

Q1-8: Does the Assist System work on F2P (non-member) servers?

A1-8: Yes, but only for F2P skills and items.

Practical Issues

Q2-1: If I reach the 30k limit can I still assist and just not get XP?

A2-1: No, you cannot assist at all when you have reached the limit.

Q2-2: Can I assist someone in, say, Smithing, and also smith items myself?

A2-2: No, you cannot work on any skills while assisting.

Q2-3: Can I do anything at all while I am assisting someone?

A2-3: You can use the various chat mechanisms, but thatÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s pretty much it.

Q2-4: What happens if I am assisting someone and they use a skill they already have a high enough level for?

A2-4: In that situation the person you are assisting will get the XP for the skill used, not you.

Q2-5: If I am level 40 Mining and I get assistance from a level 85 Miner, do I mine gold at the level 40 speed or the level 85 speed?

A2-5: The speed of the level 85 Miner who is assisting you.

Q2-6: How many players can I assist at once?

A2-6: Only one.

Q2-7: How far can I be from someone while continuing to assist them or receive assistance?

A2-7: The two of you must be within 20 squares of each other.

Q2-8: Someone requested help with Smithing and I accepted, but she said she couldnÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢t use my skills to do anything. Why?

A2-8: You probably didnÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢t click the large ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ãâ¦Ã¢â¬ÅSmithingÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬ÃâÃ

Qeltar, aka Charles Kozierok

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

Great guide. 8.5/10

I've revised my guide to reflect new information. Unfortunately, most of what I've learned over the last two days has to do with exploits and abuses of this system because Jagex yet again, won't implement a beta program or test thoroughly enough.

Here are the main abuse issues:

Low-Levels Getting XP at High-Level Speeds: If a low-level player asks for assistance from a high-level but then does something he already could do, then the low-level gets the XP, but operates at the speed corresponding to the more experienced playerÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s level. The high-level doesnÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢t get XP so there is no limit on how long this can be done, allowing low-level players to gain XP much faster than they should. This seems to work for Cooking, Fishing, Mining, Woodcutting and most other skills.

For example, suppose I am level 41 Fishing. I ask for ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ãâ¦Ã¢â¬ÅassistanceÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬ÃâÃ

Hmmm....

I need a new siggy, get round to doing it later.

Probably.

Thanks for that, very well written. Most of the complaints I have heard about it where totally pathetic. Sure when I read the front news post I though they had made a major mistake..... but I went into game to try BEFORE I complained..... turned out there was nothing to complain about.

However it has not totally removed trust trades, I would guess people will still trust trade for recourses such as mass bow making or fish cooking..... we will see no change in how the system works there are the whole reason they get a friend to do it is so they can spend their time else where...

But having said that they are usually done between good friends anyway.....

This update offers no way in which to effect the economy unless people used it's hype to price manipulate, again we just see lots of player who can't adapt to change.

I kinda hope you do something similar to this at the end of the month for the grand exchange, as it will almost defiantly cause even more rants. I suspect it does have the power to effect the economy in some way (no idea what direction) purely to the fact that people will be trading differently..... I will wait (I think it will be great though!)

sig2webzx7.jpg

Q3-6: I used the AS to plant an herb seed above my level
Ok, I know this is a very small issue, but you CAN get more farming experience than before using the assist system. Since farming involves planting and waiting, you can assist multiple people in planting and harvesting crops, and get more experience/time than you would normally. This is because all of those people are waiting for their crops to mature in parallel, meaning that the time to wait for the new crops is divided by the number of people you are assisting.

I realize that the exp from this type of farming is relatively low, and it would take a concerted effort to even set something like this up, but it is something that you can do now that you couldn't do before.

I really do like and use the assist update, this is just a small note that I felt should be pointed out.

rs0.jpg

Q3-6: I used the AS to plant an herb seed above my level
Ok, I know this is a very small issue, but you CAN get more farming experience than before using the assist system. Since farming involves planting and waiting, you can assist multiple people in planting and harvesting crops, and get more experience/time than you would normally. This is because all of those people are waiting for their crops to mature in parallel, meaning that the time to wait for the new crops is divided by the number of people you are assisting.

I realize that the exp from this type of farming is relatively low, and it would take a concerted effort to even set something like this up, but it is something that you can do now that you couldn't do before.

I really do like and use the assist update, this is just a small note that I felt should be pointed out.

Thats an interesting point actually..... had not considered that, they will either view it as an over site and fix it.... or see it as "creative training" and allow it....... hummm

I suppose with good enough friends that same trick can be pulled with power training construction and runecrafting (to a 30k a day limit)

sig2webzx7.jpg

You should change Myth #4 to this

Myth #4: This is going to make the economy crash!

Truth #4: We hear this after every update, and itÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s always hysterical nonsense.

If I had 5 gp for every time I've heard that silly nonsense, then that would cause the Economy to crash! As weÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢ve already seen, this update really changes nothing about how items are made, so how could it make the economy crash?

:lol:

10/10 XD

sig.jpg

Truth #4: We hear this after every update, and itÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s always hysterical nonsense.

If I had 5 gp for every time I've heard that silly nonsense, then that would cause the Economy to crash! As weÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢ve already seen, this update really changes nothing about how items are made, so how could it make the economy crash?

10/10 XD

Now now.... if you think how often it's said Qeltar would have the ability to crash the economy :P thats allot of 5gps!

sig2webzx7.jpg

Now now.... if you think how often it's said Qeltar would have the ability to crash the economy :P thats allot of 5gps!

Theres another 5 gp for him =D> :lol:

I haven't tried the assist feature since I don't play anymore. But I don't see any negative side effects except for the players who don't understand how it works.

sig.jpg

I am... Very impressed. I went to your web, and read some articles. The only thing I see is you saying there was nothing bad about farming - I have already let about 4 of my friends follow me around in my farming round, and we are making a lot of money growing rannars. I like it, but it's not really fair. This is not borrowing a skill!

This should not exist! And I would like a spirit tree, if we could use any part of farming. As much as any potted plant cannon be traded, their seeds can. (even though spirit seeds cannot be traded :-$ )

That's what it takes to be a hero, a little gem

of innocence inside of you that makes you want

to believe that there still exists a right and wrong,

that decency will somehow triumph in the end.

--Lise Hand

Thanks for the kind words and feedback.

I just made a small change to the article on my site to discuss the Farming aspect and agree that it is something you couldn't do before. I don't feel it's really a practical way to power-level farming so I didn't consider it something that needs fixing, but it should be recognized as something new.

Oh, and I liked this idea too. :D --

10/10 XD

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

Now, now, I think that's a little pesimistic! I plant cad's, because they give much XP, and some profit. Anyway, in planting it, you get 107xp. if you have 9 friends, that's 1070 xp, per plant. Now, if you use the assist system for picking, that's 120XP per herb, and at about 7 herbs average, with 10 people, that's 8400XP. AT EVERY PATCH! In total, one round of farming like this would be 47350XP, which is, unfortunalt, more than what you can get with the XP cap. Still, if it were possible, that would be 37880XP per hour, with 9 friends. You said that's too hard to handle? How about 4 friends! That's 18940XP every hour, compared to your 3788 xp otherwise! So, In conclusion, all you need to do for a free 30k farming XP while making your friends PROFIT! Is have, in two rounds, one with 4 friends, and one with 3, for 30k XP. When people are paying 15gp per Farming XP, I think it's VERY reasonable to say that the farming part of this was the biggest part of the update.

Please forgive my biased attention to farming. It is truly the best skill!

That's what it takes to be a hero, a little gem

of innocence inside of you that makes you want

to believe that there still exists a right and wrong,

that decency will somehow triumph in the end.

--Lise Hand

Now, now, I think that's a little pesimistic! I plant cad's, because they give much XP, and some profit. Anyway, in planting it, you get 107xp. if you have 9 friends, that's 1070 xp, per plant. Now, if you use the assist system for picking, that's 120XP per herb, and at about 7 herbs average, with 10 people, that's 8400XP. AT EVERY PATCH! In total, one round of farming like this would be 47350XP, which is, unfortunalt, more than what you can get with the XP cap. Still, if it were possible, that would be 37880XP per hour, with 9 friends. You said that's too hard to handle? How about 4 friends! That's 18940XP every hour, compared to your 3788 xp otherwise! So, In conclusion, all you need to do for a free 30k farming XP while making your friends PROFIT! Is have, in two rounds, one with 4 friends, and one with 3, for 30k XP. When people are paying 15gp per Farming XP, I think it's VERY reasonable to say that the farming part of this was the biggest part of the update.

Please forgive my biased attention to farming. It is truly the best skill!

Yes and if I still played that much I'd try to go find a high level farmer to farm with so I can plant higher level herbs. :mrgreen:

Nice FAQ.

Excellent work Qeltar!

One piece of information that could do with clarification is the multiple runes from a rune essence part. For instance if a lvl 44+ rcer is assisted by a lvl 91+ rcer, does the lvl 91+ get the XP? (as the lvl 44+ can already craft nats) and does the lvl 44+ get the double nats?

In other words do you have to be under lvl 44 to get assisted double nats?

Obviously, this theory would then extend to other runes.

TTFN

Try my fully-graphical

copper_forum.png

RuneScape Equipment Bonus Calculator

at http://www.copperdragon.org/

Thanks for all of the feedback.

I don't cover issues like double nats for those who have 41 RC, or whether someone using assistance chops wood based on the WC axe he owns versus the one owned by the assister, because I don't know the answers to those questions. They are good ones and hopefully I will figure out the answers soon.

Incidentally, I just revised the guide specifically to cover another issue I saw raised on the RSOF: there's an XP limit for assisters but not assistees. This makes no sense and directly contributes to the begging/harrassment problem -- if anything, there should be an even smaller XP cap on those asking for help.

signew2.png