Botting in Runescape

Awolo

Note: I don't bot and never will. This thread is simply to inform how bad the botting problem has actually gotten.

While lurking Tip.It's forums for a long time, there have been many botting threads which didn't make since so I believe it's time to shed some light on the topic. To get this info I visited one of the 3 main botting websites(this one was the smallest). Here's a list of information I found.

Dungeoneering can be botted. The main script is used by over 100,000 people and the paid version is used by over 20,000. In the best progress report, the guy was getting over 90k exp/hr. The maker of the both bots claims that they are 100% safe to use as you won't be reported. The creator of the paid bot claims to have almost reached 120 dungeoneering 100% botted.

Minigames can be botted. There are Mobilizing Armies bots, Castle Wars bots, FoG bots, Soul Wars bots, Pest Control bots, Livid Farming bots, GOP bots, Warrior's Guild bots, Magic Training arena bots, Fight Caves bots(not sure if it did Jad for you, couldn't find enough info), Barrows bots, Sorceress Garden, and to finish it off they even have a few bots that farms kills for the tier 6 duel/pk hats. All of these bots have a significant # of users.

EVERY SINGLE SKILL is botted, slayer/dung included.

There are frost dragon bots. The main PAID bot has 2,000+ users.

This bot site's forums have more active users than RuneScape's home website.

There are currently 2042 users online. 1304 members and 729 guests.
RuneScape's home website forums only have 587 active users as I'm currently posting this. This was probably the most amazing thing I've found. Also
Threads:88,023Posts:1,044,818Members:285,801Active Members:122,943

Keep in mind this is the statistics of ONE site. This is actually smaller one compared to the other two main sites. Keep in mind these are just facts to raise awareness of the amount of users using bots.

Main point of why this is important(quoted by Six FootOne)

People complain about botting because this activity in the game will shorten the lifespan of runescape. Eventually all new players will just be competing with bots, and do one 2 things. Join in the botting, and soon realize they are not even playing the game and quit, or quit because they can't compete. People play to show off. That's why skill capes were so game changing. It's always been about bragging. Go back to the old arcade days of video games and look at the highscores. People sat in arcades trying to get a highscore so their name would be imprinted on some machine. Sure some play for themselves but i don't think that minority would replace the loss of player who like to show off. All the people that care for their personal achievements will quit, and then everyone else botting their personal achievements will realize it doesn't even matter anymore. I am not trying to be a doomsayer and claim rs will end soon. But i think it's pretty clear that having a HUGE botting problem like this will ruin the community and the game. Especially when you mention botting problems in other games, just look at silk road.

I don't think turning a blind eye on botting would be doing you any good either. It's like watching your neighborhood fall apart. You can sit there and ignore the problems, but after a while you will release where you live is a waste land and it's time to move. And i do understand no one wants to see a new bot thread every week, but i think it's better people talk about it in the open rather than having an elephant in the room. So while it may be true what we say has no merit to Jagex, excuse us for trying.

A note from the Moderation staff:

Following the feedback on this thread where the staff asked the userbase how threads about botting would be handled in the GD area, the concensus was to leave it unpinned and just direct other botting threads here. This is the approach we have since taken, and have repeatedly directed users who have made other threads about botting to this one. If you do not see these threads, it's because after a few days of being locked (giving both the readers and the topic creator ample time to realize where they should be posting) they are then removed from the index to leave GD as uncluttered as possible.

So please, feel free to use this thread for discussing botting matters. PM a member of the Moderation staff if you have any questions or suggestions--this change was brought about by listening to user feedback, so don't feel like we've stopped listening just because we're putting it into practice.

While lurking Tip.It's forums for a long time, there have been many botting threads which didn't make since so I believe it's time to shed some light on the topic. To get this info I visited one of the 3 main botting websites(this one was the smallest). Here's a list of information I found.

ANOTHER BOTTING THREAD WOOT WOOT

Dungeoneering can be botted. The main script is used by over 100,000 people and the paid version is used by over 20,000. In the best progress report, the guy was getting over 90k exp/hr. The maker of the both bots claims that they are 100% safe to use as you won't be reported. The creator of the paid bot claims to have almost reached 120 dungeoneering 100% botted.

Of course he claims they won't get banned. Otherwise nobody would spend money on it.

Minigames can be botted. There are Mobilizing Armies bots, Castle Wars bots, FoG bots, Soul Wars bots, Pest Control bots, Livid Farming bots, GOP bots, Warrior's Guild bots, Magic Training arena bots, Fight Caves bots(not sure if it did Jad for you, couldn't find enough info), Barrows bots, Sorceress Garden, and to finish it off they even have a few bots that farms kills for the tier 6 duel/pk hats. All of these bots have a significant # of users.

If anything half of those bots are a good thing for me and other legit players. Bots in Mobilizing Armies don't fight back and I can get 2 points per game instead of 1. I rarely play the other mentioned minigames so I can't really say them being botted affects me.

There are frost dragon bots. The main PAID bot has 2,000+ users.

Cheaper Prayer training :thumbup:

This bot site's forums have more active users than RuneScape's home website. There are currently 2042 users online. 1304 members and 729 guests. RuneScape's home website forums only have 587 active users as I'm currently posting this. This was probably the most amazing thing I've found. Also

Threads:88,023Posts:1,044,818Members:285,801Active Members:122,943

Because the RSOF suck.

And I couldn't care less that other players bot. The only things that annoy me are the gold farmers. (They are the ones that ruined the market)

Owner of a comp cape since February 11th 2012.

To clarify - I believe the number of people you claim to use the bot is the number that have downloaded that bot? That doesn't mean that they actively use the bot. Plus a single person who wishes to bot on multiple computers must download the bot multiple times.

As for the number of users online on the rsof - that is calculated very differently to most forums and only includes people who have actively clicked to move to a new page within the last few minutes. If you are reading through a thread you will stop being on the list before you reach the bottom of the page. Most other forums not only include people who are passively reading the forums, but also those who have just left their computer with them viewing the forum for a few hours.

Also, at almost 120 dg, 90k xp per hour is laughable.

Rest of that stuff is nothing new.

P.S. there is no such thing as a 100% safe bot.

To clarify - I believe the number of people you claim to use the bot is the number that have downloaded that bot? That doesn't mean that they actively use the bot. Plus a single person who wishes to bot on multiple computers must download the bot multiple times.

As for the number of users online on the rsof - that is calculated very differently to most forums and only includes people who have actively clicked to move to a new page within the last few minutes. If you are reading through a thread you will stop being on the list before you reach the bottom of the page. Most other forums not only include people who are passively reading the forums, but also those who have just left their computer with them viewing the forum for a few hours.

Also, at almost 120 dg, 90k xp per hour is laughable.

Rest of that stuff is nothing new.

P.S. there is no such thing as a 100% safe bot.

You don't understand though. They can run that bot 24/7 which is around 2,160,000 exp a day. Do you get 2m exp while dunging daily? Doubt it. To everyone else, doesn't it bug you that someone can train and get higher stats/levels without even putting effort into it? The prestige of 99s is almost nothing now, almost to the point if you don't have a 99 you're counted as a noob.

Edit: You also talk about how the number of downloads doesn't reflect those who use the bot. Well, why would they download the bot then? That's still a huge number for one bot and considering this one only one for the major bot sites, theres a lot more downloads for the other bots on other sites.

Mod Edit: removed quote chain.

If you haven't noticed, rs isn't played for fun anymore. Go suggest something fun in a thread in h&a. I dare you.

Edited by Kimberly
See post note.

If botters are missing out on the grind *i mean fun* of runescape then why are you angry at them?

It takes away the prestige of the game. I remember when I used to look up to someone with a high level or a skill cape, and now everyone can just bot them and not work hard. I'm not sure why it bugs me, but it just does lol.

You admired someone who clicked repetitively for hours on end? The reason why bots are so common in runescape is because it takes no skill and because it is such a grind. What reason is there for playing legitimately except for your own view of self accomplishment?

You don't understand though. They can run that bot 24/7 which is around 2,160,000 exp a day. Do you get 2m exp while dunging daily? Doubt it. To everyone else, doesn't it bug you that someone can train and get higher stats/levels without even putting effort into it?

Why should I care that someone's so desperate for virtual 'achievements' that they get a program to play for them?

I play to have fun, not to be better than everyone else. The feeling of accomplishment when I complete a goal of mine/reach a specific goal is enough for me. ;)

Owner of a comp cape since February 11th 2012.

If botters are missing out on the grind *i mean fun* of runescape then why are you angry at them?

It takes away the prestige of the game. I remember when I used to look up to someone with a high level or a skill cape, and now everyone can just bot them and not work hard. I'm not sure why it bugs me, but it just does lol.

Not that it had much prestige to begin with, 99% of the game relies on repetive clicking patterns then skill. I see why its heavily botted.

Honestly the more i look at videos of people doing it, the more i think rule breaks (bug abusers, lurers, bot makers, etc.) are the only people in runescape who have actual skills in this game.

It takes a lot more work for one of those bug abusers to find a working bug then it does to get 99 in your pointless skill. Or a lot more skill to lure someone to the wild then it does to get 99 thieving.

If you believe this, why play this game at alll?

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

Not that it had much prestige to begin with, 99% of the game relies on repetive clicking patterns then skill. I see why its heavily botted.

Honestly the more i look at videos of people doing it, the more i think rule breaks (bug abusers, lurers, bot makers, etc.) are the only people in runescape who have actual skills in this game.

It takes a lot more work for one of those bug abusers to find a working bug then it does to get 99 in your pointless skill. Or a lot more skill to lure someone to the wild then it does to get 99 thieving.

Paying RL money for a bot and running it doesn't exactly take any more skill than repetitive clicking, which at least shows some sort of dedication to the game.

Mod Edit: Removed quote chain w/ a rule breaking post.

Oh right. Good to know there's a dg bot that never appears in the lobby area? Or a mining bot that never mines a rock? Or a slayer bot that never visits a slayer monster? Or a minigame bot that never plays a minigame?

Edited by Kimberly
See post note :)

Mod Edit: Removed quote chain w/ a rule breaking post.

Oh right. Good to know there's a dg bot that never appears in the lobby area? Or a mining bot that never mines a rock? Or a slayer bot that never visits a slayer monster? Or a minigame bot that never plays a minigame?

Yea cuz you are going to report everyone that comes into the dg lobby right?

Edited by Kimberly
See post note :)

It would take more skill for me to hack jagex undetected and max my account than it would to do either of those things, it still doesn't make it more respectable.

If you believe this, why play this game at alll?

Because its true for every game, whether its Pokemon or Call of Duty, Runescape or World of Warcraft

But you must play games?

Then they came for me

It would take more skill for me to hack jagex undetected and max my account than it would to do either of those things, it still doesn't make it more respectable.

Tbh, I'd respect you for that. It'd be pretty cool.

Theres a certain rotten potato you should look up...

Hasn't the person who stole that gotten their account banned already?

EDIT:

>Go to GOP in w61

>90% of the "people" there are bots

>Ragelogout because your entire team is hold bots and minigame is ruined

DG bots don't bug me as much because they don't slow down my floors.

Bots in there just make it easier to win. From what I saw the majority of bots pile the yellow team. Just have your friends and whatever clan reigns there now spam green.

Prepare to Die! Path of Exile RPG

1emk2e.png

"Think where man's glory most begins and ends, and say my glory was I had such friends." Yeats

Where's the fun in that? I just miss when botters weren't liked by the majority and now botting is pretty much accepted by the average player.

It's accepted because the pros of having bots in the game far outweigh the cons. Add to that the fact most people on this forum are over the "chop yews for money and xp, and buy 99 cooking for respect" stage where botting has a negative impact.

From the empty days of hope, deny the darkness
Follow my voice, we'll run far away from here

If only to hide, to escape this life
And live forever, forever in the sun

Where's the fun in that? I just miss when botters weren't liked by the majority and now botting is pretty much accepted by the average player.

It's accepted because the pros of having bots in the game far outweigh the cons. Add to that the fact most people on this forum are over the "chop yews for money and xp, and buy 99 cooking for respect" stage where botting has a negative impact.

If bots were positive surely jagex would just remove those things from the game (make the game more lightweight) and provide the items through the GE directly - they could just add a steady supply of X items an hour.

Really above attitude shows a pretty ignorant "cause it doesn't affect me directly it doesn't matter for me". I've got a good rhyme for that:

First they came for the communists,

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists,

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Jews,

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew.

Then they came for me

Maybe more fit:

Then they came for me

Then they came for me

^

The day bots can do Nex as a coordinated team without a hitch is the day that I will bot.

Goal justifies the means?

Are you trolling or that much of an egoistical person to only care about what you do?

Then they came for me

Just to let you guys know:

I'm going to be tidying up this thread a bit, so if you see your post go missing, please PM me instead of posting here :) It'll be the fastest way for me to be able to respond to you.

EDIT: Done!

Quick reminder:

Please remember to report rule-breaking posts rather than replying to them. It will save everyone the hassle of another silly flame war.

hzvjpwS.gif

Hi

After reading through this thread I got curious, so I did a search and quickly found the site which I think @Awolo is referring to and I must admit that I got a little very impressed with the vast selection of bots on offer.

I also must admit that nearly succumb to the dark side when I discovered that they do in fact offer a dung bot (I'll never be able to love playing dung as dung and I are like night and day)

also, I found the price-tag for purchasing a bot to be quite reasonable (a factor which surely won't help to decrease the bot population).

So even if I got tempted (and I sure did) then why didn't I take the plunge ?

Because, even if they claim that the bots can't be detected then I'm for one is not prepared to find out if this is really the truth or not as I find the stakes a little to high for my taste - i.e. why run the risk of getting my current account banned (I have had this one since I stated playing in 2005 if my memory serves me well) and loose the countless of hours just because I wanted to cut a few corners.

So eventhough I'm very impressed of what the bots are capable of I would just say:

Thank you, but no thank you.

Still I would very much like to watch a bot solving a quest and playing dung - in the name of science ofcourse \::/

Hi

After reading through this thread I got curious, so I did a search and quickly found the site which I think @Awolo is referring to and I must admit that I got a little very impressed with the vast selection of bots on offer.

I also must admit that nearly succumb to the dark side when I discovered that they do in fact offer a dung bot (I'll never be able to love playing dung as dung and I are like night and day)

also, I found the price-tag for purchasing a bot to be quite reasonable (a factor which surely won't help to decrease the bot population).

So even if I got tempted (and I sure did) then why didn't I take the plunge ?

Because, even if they claim that the bots can't be detected then I'm for one is not prepared to find out if this is really the truth or not as I find the stakes a little to high for my taste - i.e. why run the risk of getting my current account banned (I have had this one since I stated playing in 2005 if my memory serves me well) and loose the countless of hours just because I wanted to cut a few corners.

So eventhough I'm very impressed of what the bots are capable of I would just say:

Thank you, but no thank you.

Still I would very much like to watch a bot solving a quest and playing dung - in the name of science ofcourse \::/

Sadly there are people who give in to the temptations because they know if their account gets caught the only thing that happens is their xp get halved, or if it gets banned they bot it all back on a new account.

jpegsigtest.jpg