Tip.It Times Presents: The Nightmare of Customer Service

oddfaery2

This week's Tip.It Times has been released. Feel free to discuss the article or post any comments. If you have any criticism, please make sure it's constructive! :D

The Nightmare of Working for Customer Service

Hugh_Mannity

From reading the forums, it would appear that Jagex has a customer service problem. I'd hazard a guess though that many people who get their issues sorted out without trouble don't post to the forums. "Hey I had a problem because my account was banned for no reason, but Jagex fixed it for me in 3 hours!!!" is not the sort of message you read often...

Click here to read the rest of this article.

tipitcrewex8.jpg

Proud to have gotten 1800 skill total before access to fishing guild

Why make a house when you can rob one?

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice and interesting article. Might I just add that most of the time I get a good informative rpely from Customer Support.

Keep up the good work.

Retired 8th October 2007 | 99 Fishing | 99 Cooking | Owner of a Red Mask and 2 Santa Hats |

Am I havining deja vu?

I swear I can recall readin the the first few paragraphs before

Same here. I guess Hugh_mannity must have posted this somewhere on the forums before submitting it as an article.

I've not had much issue with Customer Service. Most I've done is ask a few questions on gameplay. Sometimes I got replies and sometimes it was a form letter that had a tangential relation to my question.

As for problems, nope, not one. I've not been hacked, I've not been scammed in long time, I've not had a black mark, I've not been banned.

I agree with the article. For 5 dollars a month you're getting alot of entertainment. In addition, most the complaints about CS is by those with axes to grind. CS's job is made even more difficult by the huge number of children that are players.

As for a corporate shake-up, no. It may be growing fast with immense member and advertising revenue coming in, but that does not mean we need to be subjected to the bottom line corporate jerks. Think Jagex would keep members at 5 dollors a month once they get a CEO who sees only dollar signs? I'd be worried.

nukemarine.png

Learn how to Learn Japanese on your own - Nukemarine's Suggested Guide for Beginners in Japanese
Stop Forgetting Stuff for College and Life - Anki - a program which makes remembering things easy
Reach Elite Fitness - CrossFit

Am I havining deja vu?

You're right to have deja vu, because it has been posted before.

http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?t=422202

Who could forget a great intro (one that is completely 100% true) like that? I've already read it and I would have thought most of us had.

i'm f2p and so i don't expect anything from customer service, because i don't pay their salaries. However when he mentions that people who pay $5 a month and feel they are entitled to $5000 worth of support, he is very very wrong. First of all, $5000=gross exageration. Second of all, the customer is always right. If I pay for a service, or a product, we can argue about which of these 2 RS is at a later date, I expect to have absolutely no hassles. When I start having hassles, the value of that product lessens for me.

The focus does not need to be on those accounts who have their problems cleared up quickly, but in fact needs to be where it is... on those people who are unfairly banned and then have a nightmare dealing with customer service and don't have their accounts unbanned at all or for a long time.

It is the squeaky wheel that gets the oil, but it's also the squeaky wheel that needs the oil. I suppose the point I'm trying to make here is that when someone pays for a product, and they don't like the after sales service, it is their right to [bleep] and complain all they want, and to demand better service. That is the name of the game in sales, and any good salesman will tell you that in order to ensure future sales to the same customer, attention has to be payed to the after sales support, and to fixing any problems you as a salesperson may have indirectly caused, or even problems that just kinda happened and were in no way the fault of the customer.

Keep in mind I'm f2p and so I expect no customer service, I'm just annoyed at the Jagex business model that has unsatisfied customers, with just causes. On the other hand, if you did something wrong and Jagex banned you, deal with it and stop whining.

Good to see that Tip It times is still producing the odd article which Jagex MAY view as critical of their services (which you have every right to do might I add).

I don't think I'm alone when I say that when the article of a few weeks back was removed from the archives, I feared that every article thereafter would be biased and "sucking-up" to Jagex as you tried to keep in Andrew's good books. But no - I've been proven wrong which is good, because criticism is the first step to improvement.

Great article too :)

On a side note, can you get Duke to write another one please? His articles are fantastic and I love reading about his predictions for the future prices of rares, and so-forth.

~Ian

newsig4ty.jpg

Retired Tip It Moderator | Zybez Radio DJ - Listen Here

I agree with this artical completely. Some people think that because they pay $5 a month, they have the right to do whatever they want and will have Jagex confine to their every whim. Well they are completely wrong.

I'm mainly talking about the forums, but this does comply to Customer Support too. Some people think that because they pay $5 a month, they have a right to swear, spam or simply ignore forum rules. Then they get banned and complain to Jagex saying "I paid for the right to use the forums, you can't just take them away!" I think it's said on the first page you get when you log into the forums (the one with the "Click Here to enter the forums" link) that the use of the forums is a privelage, not a right (or it's said somewhere). Being a privelage, rules must be followed or your privelages can and will be revoked.

Then there's the in game rule breakers. Those who are Free-2-Play players sometimes think that because they don't pay to play Runescape, they don't have to follow the rules and there is nothing Jagex can do. While for the most part, this is somewhat correct, Jagex is still doing all it can to prevent this. Eventually, Jagex may get so fed up with the Free-2-Play rule breakers that they may shut down Runescape to Non-Paying Players completely (like they did with Runescape Classic). Also, the more that accounts are banned, the more Customer Support queries Jagex will receive which will give them even more clutter in their job.

f475e02ecc.png

don't worry, you are going to "hell" anyway. wanna race to see who gets there first?

Officially reached 100 Combat at 1:33PM EST, June 14, 2007

First Dragon Drop: Dragon Chain (Dust Devils) @ 10:48PM EST, July 14, 2008, lv113 combat

I feel this artical hit the nail on the head, customer support has a very tough job I know this because I am a desktop support tech for a major Insurance company and you wouldnt believe the crap I have to take from people who created there own problems. So everyone out there just set back and relax and let the blame lay with the one who created it. :P

While I respect Hugh (and agree with what he's saying), I was a little disappointed to see that an old post was recycled as this week's Tip.It Times article.

I was hoping for some originality this week. Something to help us move past some old, worn-out controversies. Instead, an old post was dredged up, which I'm sure will cause old opinions to be dredged up as well.

Don't get me wrong. I loved Hugh's post. I just loved it a lot more a week ago.

some others seem to have seen it before, but I didn't :)

great article IMO, thumbs up on that

they should find a way to MAKE every player read the rules and guidelines before getting agreed, sadly I don't see a way in how that could be checked :(

cheers to the Jagexfolks and the hard work they put in this for my measily ÃÆââââ¬Ã¡Ãâì4,60 :D

~I'm Darkness~

10y3vig.png

proudtitan.png

While I respect Hugh (and agree with what he's saying), I was a little disappointed to see that an old post was recycled as this week's Tip.It Times article.

I was hoping for some originality this week. Something to help us move past some old, worn-out controversies. Instead, an old post was dredged up, which I'm sure will cause old opinions to be dredged up as well.

Don't get me wrong. I loved Hugh's post. I just loved it a lot more a week ago.

We have had a number of requests asking that we use the post as an article, and we agreed that it was a good idea. And I'm sure that not everyone has read the topic (as evidenced by the comments thus far).

It's also important to remember that not EVERYONE who uses our main site and reads the Times use our forums. They wouldn't have seen Hugh_Mannity's topic before, and we felt it was such a good piece that we should share with ALL our members, not only our forum users.

Remember, the SEARCH button is your friend. Use it!

Am I havining deja vu?

yes i read it too, in fact this is the very first tip it times article that i have read before it was released. woot for me i guess.

it was a good article, but it's length daunted me when i read it in the forumns, i got about 1/2 of the way done then went on to other horizons. i am glad it was made into a 'times article because i read those avidly. it gave me a chance to read the entirety of such a great post.

have a nice day, everyone!

tipitlessersigea3.png