Tip.It Times Presents: Anything Goes

Kiara_Kat

This week's Tip.It Times has been released. Feel free to discuss the article or post any comments. If you have any criticism, please make sure it's constructive! And remember - this is a guest article, so please be considerate of the author's feelings when you post. Inconsiderate comments and heavy flaming will not be tolerated. :D

Anything Goes

by Sausageman10

Honour, and its antonym "No Honour", are expressions you see bandied about a lot wherever PKers talk about their exploits or post screenshots of their kills. But that's not all: the Rants Forum is swarming with PKers complaining about how their prey got away or how Jagex is "helping the noobs": phrases like "safer noob", "prayer noob" and "tele noob"...

Click here to read the rest of this article.

Remember, the SEARCH button is your friend. Use it!

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was a great article, one of the best ones in my opinion. I don't understand why players try to come up with honor codes when the wilderness is the one place in game where dishonor is allowed. I am an abyss runecrafter and I have to deal with the wannabe pkers who can only attack players who are no prepared to fight back. I understand that there is no "honor" in this type of pking, but that's part of the wilderness. As an abyss runecrafter I have to deal with these sub par pkers, but that comes with the territory.

Yeps. Calling people dishonerable for a reason (E.G.) Like them calling you a noob. Then you calling them a dishonerable person. It's the goodness.

\\Ray

I dont need a siggy no moar.

Good article. Beat those cocky 'honourable' PKer's back down to size. Anythning does go-which is part of the reason I prefer the duel arena (can't get jumped by 30 ppl) but that being multi attacked thning is the only reason other than that is there isn't much profit in the wildy TBH. Duel arena i can make millions.

Honourable PKErs feel free to lose to me in the duel arena or the wildy. Dishonourable Pkers feel free for a good fight-in the wildy anything goes of course.

PS learnt my second useful lesson from the 'DID you know..' Section. The other useful one was last week

img.cfm?img=41871

Yeah...Some people just go out of their way to ruin other peoples fun.
Sounds like Jagex to me...

AMAZING so true i always feel presured into not taking tellies or all bst stuff

theres is another kind of anying player the ppl who run up to you and say "fight?" then complain whn i check their stats on high scores and find out they have some realy high lvl skill like 99 mage/ range (or mabe even str :ohnoes: ) i mean if u want to fight me atck me dont xpect me to skull when you can clarly kill me with ease <.<

siggykilljoyfulykomppsmg6.jpg

I consider the whole article to be a very "main" way of thinking about pking.

There are several reasons for this:

the only reason to take tele runes is if you have no choice but to run from a fight (which only takes you about 5 secs to do anyway)

The only reason to safe or use protection prayers is because you want the other player to do it too, and therefore want to make it impossible for either of you to kill the other one

The only reason to wear proselyte and use d scim when you have 45+ def and 70+ attack is because your too poor to afford to die, in which case you shouldn't really be pking anyway.

All in all, if you feel bad enough about losing your items that you have to tele and safe, you really shouldn't be pking anyway

p.s running ftw, i dont see anything wrong with that and i pk alot on my pure (everyone does it anyway)

I confound I, check out my vids at:

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=IConfoundI

and my first vid:

"These rules and ideas contradict the most important point of the wilderness: anything goes."

"The PK world needs to realise that the wilderness isn't the Duel Arena with dragons. There are no rules."

By repeatedly telling them what to do, you are attempting to say that there is/should be a rule against making their own rules. But, that contradicts the two quotes from your article above.

I think that your analysis of why they come up with their rules is extremely biased and short-sighted. Yes, they are mainly about not running away/using super cheap items. But to say that it's merely because "they" want "your" items doesn't make sense, people gaming the system for their personal benefit would just continue running away/using cheap items. These honor rules were intended to make pking more exciting for all involved-- I would say they succeeded in that very well for a time and less well as the community grew to a size too large for these rules.

Personally I would not derive any enjoyment from the world 18 pking scene, and am not a fan of their rules. But since it is the wilderness and anything goes, it would be insupportable hypocrisy to go any farther than that in condemnation of what they are doing, as it is all within the game rules.

I strongly agree with the article; the wilderness is for killing people, not for "honor", and anything that can be done to kill players and stay alive should be done. People who don't do everything they can to win the fight are the noobs.

whatcolor_isblue.jpg[r]

Hi, I'm the guy who wrote this article. I'm glad most of you seem to like it.

In response to a couple of comments...

I consider the whole article to be a very "main" way of thinking about pking.

Yes, I don't use pures and so this article is from the perspective of a main, talking mostly about fights between mains (which is where most of the "honour" rules seem to crop up). I don't know about fighing from a pure's perspective, so this article doesn't deal with them. Sorry! :(

The only reason to wear proselyte and use d scim when you have 45+ def and 70+ attack is because your too poor to afford to die, in which case you shouldn't really be pking anyway.

I have 25m in the bank, but on the rare occasions that I go full-kit melee fighting I prefer to wear proselyte, partly for the prayer bonus but also just to annoy. I'm not too poor to avoid to die, I just don't see the point in spending three times as much money on marginally better defence bonuses. The best way of getting rich is not to waste money where you don't have to.

By repeatedly telling them what to do, you are attempting to say that there is/should be a rule against making their own rules. But, that contradicts the two quotes from your article above.

I said that there are no rules. I'm not saying people should "do" anything, or telling anyone to play in any way. I'm simply that they shouldn't act surprised or get incensed when other people take advantage of the fact that the wilderness has no rules.

Thanks for your comments! ::'

LBO/Sausageman10.

"Live as though you were to die tomorrow. Learn as though you were to live forever."

- Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi

I said that there are no rules. I'm not saying people should "do" anything, or telling anyone to play in any way. I'm simply that they shouldn't act surprised or get incensed when other people take advantage of the fact that the wilderness has no rules.

so you are saying there is/should be a rule against getting incensed or acting surprised? When you issue forth proclamations like "The PK world needs to realise that the wilderness isn't the Duel Arena with dragons. There are no rules.", you are indeed telling others how to play and what to do. Furthermore, if you take away that demand on pkers to change from your article, than your article is left as nothing more than "I don't like what pkers on world 18 say and do", which is just a somewhat pointless rant, albeit one i would personally agree with. However, the solution is just to ... not go into wildy on world 18 near edgeville, hardly an onerous proposition. So which horn of the dilemma do you choose? Are you hypocritically demanding pkers to change, or are you making a pointless rant that merely expresses a dislike?

I like this article. Like you stated if you are worried about people teleing and running get teleblock n entangle. I abby rc alot and I run into the few abby pkers who do teleblock then entangle because they know the rsk of trying 2 kill someone that all they do is run. I don't pk a whole lot but when I do I do safe eat which untill a month or so ago I had no clue what that was. Also you didn't say anything about hugging. But that can all be cleared up with entangle :P...Loved the article..

newbankofrsyq0.gif

Excellent article!

I think the whole "dishonour" thing comes down to a PKer's unwillingness to accept defeat. They don't want to accept that they've been killed or outsmarted, so they have to belittle their "victim".

Just a little psychoanalysis there. =P

3 words

Ah May Zing!

More words:

Absolutely fantastic article, have a gold star, o noes, its my last one, have a silver one instead :oops:

1-itemers ftw ::'

Jamje.png

null and void

The only reason to safe or use protection prayers is because you want the other player to do it too, and therefore want to make it impossible for either of you to kill the other one

That's why SMITE was released!

Everybody has a right to Pk in whatever gear hey want. Cheap, prayer boosting gear suits their purpose! You can always bail out if the bounty is not plentyfull enough for you! But then...."hey you have no honour" *irony*....

All in all, if you feel bad enough about losing your items that you have to tele and safe, you really shouldn't be pking anyway

And that, my friend, was the purpose of this article. To prove the wrongness of your vision. There are no rules, anything goes. We all have the right to (try to ?) PK anyone within wildernes boundaries. Nothing wrong with safing, teleporting or whatever!

YAY great artice BTW.

transcript80.png

Other data was removed when acoount got hacked...

Thats exactly what i try to explain to people in my school. all of them who pk call me a n00b or a def nub if i pray or use sara brew when i fight them. Who cares i'm just using everything i can to win whats the point in having protect prayers or defence potions if you are not ment to use them.

flygon%20king.gif

Flygon%20king.gif

addymmage,Flygon%20king.gif

i liike this weeks tip it times but being a non pker i cant say much

other then yes i think the wilderness is an all out battle between 2 or more people and if you want to pray do it if you wanna telly do it just go out and have fun

The_Firefox_sig_by_syndrome090.jpg

I recently started killing green dragons in the wildy, and had an instance where I died to a PKer that was prowling the edges of the dragon herd and picking off people who were low level. I was pissed, but I couldn't complain: I clicked the "enter wildy" button at the ditch, I knew what could happen.

I dislike the fact that they seemed to be fighting in a cowardly manner, but there are no rules in the wildy, so I can piss and moan all I want, but it's still legal. so I changed my strategy. I limit the amount of items I can't bear to be parted with to 3 (rune plate, legs and ddp++) and fill up the rest of my armor slots with cheap stuff that boosts my stats slightly. I get some pots, a varrock tab, some food, and full prayer. if I die, so what? I didn't lose anything valuable or irreplacable.

yeah, sometimes the wildy sucks. you don't wanna get PKed, you have some sort of goal, and it all goes to heck when you run across something you didn't plan for. this article was some good advice. be prepared to fight, don't complain about "honor," and if you need/want to be there but don't feel like PKing, make sure you don't have anything you don't wanna lose...

craggyp.png

craggyp.png

Fantastic article I must say. One of the best ever presented by the tip.it times.:D

I wasn't 100 % convinced before - I am now. In wildy, there are no rules.

99 ranged | 99 magic | 99 defence | 99 hitpoints

Remember, it's just a game

Feel free to add me on RS. :) Always ready for a chat.

If you can't kill someone before they get away, it doesn't mean they're a noob or "dishonorable". It means they're craftier than you are and maybe, just maybe, you're just not good enough.

I like this part the best. If you can't kill someone, and they tele, or run, or safe, or they pray even, it just means your not good enough to pk them, and you call insulting words to stop them from their own tactics making them weaker, and boom you've pked them.

The rest of the article is all too true.

thank you! gppd article

Don't you know the first rule of MMO's? Anyone higher level than you has no life, and anyone lower than you is a noob.

People in OT eat glass when they are bored.