Tip.it Times Presents: Letters to the Editor #7

MPM

Just read it, and some interesting views by the two writers.

I very much agree with what is being said, and it makes you wonder and contemplate if it is, infact, more fun to be a 'newbie' whilst playing.

- Iqrg

The journey has begun, and it is a path I must walk.

Just read it, and some interesting views by the two writers.

I very much agree with what is being said, and it makes you wonder and contemplate if it is, infact, more fun to be a 'newbie' whilst playing.

- Iqrg

It seemed to me like that was the case. 3 years ago, when I started playing, the game was awesome because it was so big, and there was so much to do, and so many things to explore and try out. Now in the last few months, I spent 2 hours a day making very boring money to afford all the stuff I need for slayer.

These letters were boring and irrelevant as they usually are.

If you think this is a matter for discussion you should vist my topic about the Tip.it Times and the Letters to the Editor here:

http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?t=700535

As my topic was about the letters to the editor it was unjustly moved to the website discussion forum. As this thread is also about the letters to the editor I believe it should also be moved to website discussion or my topic to be moved back to general discussion.

Thank you for your time

~Gorgonzolach

Sig.jpg

I pretty much agreed with the letters, I've played for over 4 years now, and I must say I've started playing too much (except I canceled my membership to focus on college applications). I used to enjoy doing a little skilling, merchanting, barrows, etc, then breaking it up with a quest or two. Well, now merchanting's boring, I have to wait a couple weeks for a new (usually short/easy) quest to come out since I've done them all, and my skills are at a point where I have to make a serious time commitment to them. I've noticed myself putting more and more time into the game, and while it's fun, it really is a waste. Now, come winter break I'll probably be back frittering my life away... :?

I can say for sure that I wouldn't be playing this game now (or beyond a few days in fact) if it wasn't multiplayer. I have "wasted" so much ingame time talking to other people about all sorts of stuff, which in fact isn't really a waste, but far more valuable (in regards to real life) than getting that level or new item. Trust me, getting the latest and greatest item (or oldest and still greatest in the case of phats) is cool for awhile, but it gets boring...I recently wasted an entire day selling random items and upgrading my yellow phat to a red one...as soon as I got the red I logged off, because the whole process had made me frustrated. And now? I wear my black cav ~90% of the time anyway :roll:

Bottom line: Play the game if you enjoy it, but don't get too focused on such and such an item or skill, and don't forget your friends (online and in real life), they matter more than anything :wink:

Blooblyblobl.gif

Legends quest completed at lvl 47 on X Legendre X

#3056 to 99 firemaking, achieved on July 4th, 2007.

Tied for #1854 to 99 farming, achieved on September 3rd, 2008.

Nice articles, but I do have a few things to say to the first person (Alloran24?)

* F2p range is bad because fletching is p2p and thus the arrows are not worth the effort

* If you only mine smith and fight anyway, p2p indeed doesn't offer much more

* It would if you'd do more (minigames, herblore (potions really can be handy), better weapons -> more fun fighting otherwise too-hard monsters, etc)

* Reasons for older gamers to stick around include (but are not limited to):

*more mature players (if you find them) - many of my best friends on RuneScape are adults, and they're all p2p, at least partly because of the high number of kids in f2p

*less begging - sure it happens but I've seen more of it in f2p

*less crowded/more servers - don't you just get a headache of a chatscreen that just keeps scrolling? p2p has a number of quiter servers

*more challenging quests/gameplay (bosses etc)

*skills that are more linked to eachother (farming -> herblore, slayer -> herblore/farming (lots of seeds/herbs drops), etc)

*more magic (f2p magic is not that powerful, not to mention the higher cost of the higher runes)

*fun ways of training (various minigames that offer lots of xp such as trouble brewing and pest control)

I'm really not trying to make anyone join p2p, but please do if you feel like it :D

Anyway, I do not think that p2p is not worth it, nor is it expensive compared to other paid games (in fact, at 5 bucks a month it's not even expensive without comparing it to other games, unless you're a kid you probably give out more to other things - like food and electricity and heating)

harold_king.png

Playing RS since Nov. 2002 (but with various breaks)

The original article was quite intriguing. I was impresed to see how the author felt that RS could be addicting and obsessive. Especially of mere graphical items. The posted letters in response to the article were equally interesting and thought provoking on my part. I personally play the game just to play the game. I don't spend hours on end high alching just to get my mage up. I would prefer to play CW and enjoy the game than sit and waste hours after hours trying to raise my mage for 99 skill. I farm to grow herbs, which I transform into pots, which I either use or sell depending on my mood. I don't make a habit out of it. I stopped selling runes, just so I can use the runes myself. For me, RS is just strickly entertainment, and I prefer to keep it that way. I don't know if I will "quit" anytime soon. Yes, it can get boring and I think that is why i am good to play for 1-2 hours straight before I need to stop. I usually have my private chats to friends and only add people who are worthy of decent conversation. I rarerly chat with other players in game and even during CW I end up turning off my chat because of the immaturity of other players. Yes, the word "noob" annoys me! And that is why I don't interact with other players in the game unless I know you from other RS-related sites. For me, I just want to play the game. Enjoy it for what it is...a game. That's all. The day may come when I feel..."Time to quit," but for now, I just want to enjoy it. I even had to stop reading the rants section on all RS-related sites and forums. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion of the game. Sure Jagex is shooting for a younger crowd...it is, afterall, a gaming business and that's what a business does...finds ways to make more money. I don't blame them. But I still enjoy the game foor what it is...a game. the choice is ultimately yours...continue or end, but keep in mind, it is...just a game. And I know some adults that still enjoy playing..."the game."

~A lil mage goes a long way~

I'm really not trying to make anyone join p2p, but please do if you feel like it :D

Anyway, I do not think that p2p is not worth it, nor is it expensive compared to other paid games (in fact, at 5 bucks a month it's not even expensive without comparing it to other games, unless you're a kid you probably give out more to other things - like food and electricity and heating)

Speaking as an adult....he's right. And that is why i try to look for the more maturer crowd of players to enjoy the game with. Good luck to all of you seeking the same. feel free to add me, or contact me via tip.it or other rs sites if you see (PS: google works wonders...try it, you might find me).

~A lil mage goes a long way~

What is real life? Real life is the things that people do that make rational sense. That includes eating, being in a shelter, making those things or making maoney to do those things, and procreating (doing it just for fun is not rational, and yet thats the reason most people do it). Real life does not include music, fiction, or video games, or indeed most of what constitutes culture, and what people enjoy doing. Real life is the part of life robots can do, so why not let them do it and then we can be human? I personally have not been playing runescape as much as I used to, but that is because runescape is pixels, and I prefer role playing games that don't involve pixels (or any board either). When your life is centered around living a fantasy, does the fantasy become real? Not according to my previous definition of real life, or to the people who always talk about "real life". But the fantasy is my life, in fact most people are living a fantasy life, think about it, why is it you do things that arn't rational? It's probably because of a cultural construct, which is the same as a fantasy. Maybe we need to change the definition of real.

Culture is a story people tell themselves about themselves and in doing so give meaning to their lives.

whatcolor_isblue.jpg[r]

What is real life? Real life is the things that people do that make rational sense. That includes eating, being in a shelter, making those things or making maoney to do those things, and procreating (doing it just for fun is not rational, and yet thats the reason most people do it). Real life does not include music, fiction, or video games, or indeed most of what constitutes culture, and what people enjoy doing. Real life is the part of life robots can do, so why not let them do it and then we can be human? I personally have not been playing runescape as much as I used to, but that is because runescape is pixels, and I prefer role playing games that don't involve pixels (or any board either). When your life is centered around living a fantasy, does the fantasy become real? Not according to my previous definition of real life, or to the people who always talk about "real life". But the fantasy is my life, in fact most people are living a fantasy life, think about it, why is it you do things that arn't rational? It's probably because of a cultural construct, which is the same as a fantasy. Maybe we need to change the definition of real.

That wasn't confusing at all.

I would put a cool link here but I don't know how.

I read the times article and I wasn't too impressed, didn't think much of it, however, after reading the response articles I thought about it a bit and realized that, I too, have become purposeless. I've played RS for about 6 years or so and have always pretty much enjoyed myself. I worked on random skills. I'm not a high level combat player and I've done most of the work without buying my skill levels. So, it's taken me a really long time of working to get to the levels I'm at now.

When I'd get bored with one skill, I'd move to another for awhile, then switch again. Repeat cycle. However, in the past month I've found myself incredibly bored and am finding my logins are spaced many days apart instead of everyday. Maybe it was the month of fishing monkfish I did recently or the 2 weeks I spent smithing. I'm unsure what has caused my recent dissatisfaction or lack of caring about playing. I logged in tonight for the first time in two days, killed 4 hill giants for my slayer assignment..got bored..logged off.

I don't speak to many people online, usually because I've found my runescape friends don't last long, either because they stop playing or the interest in conversations die out.

Am I playing other games? Yes...sorta. I'm playing my nintendo roms that I've owned on my computer for 7 years (M.U.L.E is an awesome game!) and I'm playing some family feud game online. I've also started playing at some other online game site that has those word games and such. I find these rewarding in a different way than runescape. Runescape: the reward was a personal one of seeing my levels go up and also of a sense of being a good player. However, that reward satisfaction just isn't enough anymore. I want something where I can use my brain instead of just clicking mindlessly for hours on end. Maybe it's the fact that a lot of the skills I've enjoyed training have now become a very big leap to the next level that takes way too long or too much gold to achieve. I don't want to have to sit there for 3 days and fish monkfish to get to the next fishing level. I don't want to have to wear my mouse out for 2 days to get to the next smithing level. I don't want to have to go out and sell what I've made by waiting for buyers to show up from forums or stand in the bank and announce my sales.

I have been seriously considering ending my membership for now, give it some time and then come back when I find the interest again. We'll see what happens...

Wow this is a longer post than I thought I would post and rather rambly (due to lack of sleep)..so I shall stop writing for now....and possibly playing..for now.

"it's frustrating when you know all the answers, but no one bothers to ask you the questions"

lostdreamer3.png

I agree with the second letter, and to a lesser extent, the first one.

Btw, the enter key is your friend, those blocks of text hurt :shock:

"300 programmers make their futile but glorious last stand against 1000000 angry players in The battle of Misthalin. They fight for honor, glory and new content sacrificing themselves so that their game may live on. This is Madness! This Is JAGEEEX!"

nice article!

its the same way i think about runescape :cry: .i'm like lets get 99 str :P then i start thinking 90 attk would be good too and o yea wat about all the food im gonna need :x . Then i started thinking 99 str would take me till next summer :ohnoes: and then i need to get mage and attk up too, its better to do smtn else rather than get bored and force myself all summer for that #-o .So atm im quiting runescapee for a while :thumbsup:

gabby_air.png

Best tip.it F.O.G. player =)

"No mercy for the weak, no pity for the dying, no tears for the slain"

I have always been a fan of the "letters to the editor" tip it times segment because every time a new one is posted it always hits a very good topic, i have to say the last few ones have been my most favorite of all with the "Your final runescape goal".

About three weeks ago i was randomly looking stuff up on tip it and decided, "you know what would really look cool?", the answer to which seemed so unacheivable, a dragon full helm/red h'ween mask, dragon chainbody, dragon plate legs, amulet of fury, rune boots, dragon square shield/dragon fire shield, abyssal whip, Rfd gloves (dragon) and an attack skill cape (t).

Now if you take them time to imagine what this looks like you'll probably see what i did, and just by visulizing that one thing i made a huge mistake in runescape, i had a goal :shock:

But at the time i didn't really worry about it i just said "well for all of this ill need about 65m and to levels to 99", having only around 4.2m at the time i thought that it would take a heck of a long time, i made a plan to rune craft i think about 250k nature runea, thats right 250k of them. Do you know how much time that would take??? months upon months, did i care if it ment playing obsessivly until i had acheived it? no, did i care if my social life was destoryed? no, when it really struck me was when i was in maths one day and i got a question, a simple question i had done a thousand times, and i coulden't get the answer i was stuck. It was clear to me then that playnig ruenscape so much was effecting my real life so badly that at this rate it would consume my life. So i quit for about a month, and in that month i had such a great time in life not having to worry about getting my goal or getting ranked in every skill or being better then someone else.

Today i went on to try something out, i tried to randomly enter the clan chat of runescape's highest ranked players, and guess what not all of them had clan chats. I think it is possible that they might just not have played since the update which would be good for them after acheiving all of those 99's, or is it possible that once they had no more goals they just quit, i doubt i will ever know and honestly i don't care.

Thanks for such a great letter this week i hope the next one is just as good. :D

4sDIn.png

Great letters, but to the person who wrote the first one: I was like that in the start when I got a membership too, being obbsessed and wanting as much as possible for the money. But it wore off after 2-3 months or so, and after that it's chill 8-)

[insert birds flying in a circle here]

Yes, that sig was annoying.

I've been playing nearly 6 years now and to be honest i find it rather demeaning that someone with a total level under 1000 and only a single month of membership believes they can speak on behalf of the majority of older players,

I don't play as much as i used to with that hardcore newbie feeling but i always manage to find something to do and enjoy myself