A few things about RuneScape...(A long read)

Kuroi_Ame

We are being sheltered.

Chat

When someone signs up to play RuneScape, they have to sign an agreement that they are thirteen years or older. If this is true, as I beleive it is, why is there a chat filter that blocks some of the following unecessary words:

[developmentally delayed]

turd

gay

a hole (litterally a hole, not abbreviated)

geek and nerd used to be

suck(s)

and many more that six-year-olds say!

The censor is so bad, that most of the time, half your sentance will be blocked and the person you are talking to will be like huh?

Another thing, why can't we type more than a certain amount of spaces? Does Jagex think our minds can't come up with more than 60 characters?

Quests

Have you ever done a recently-released quest that made you think? I mean really really made you think? Do you remember that "super-hard" quest released a few months ago? Contact was the name. Did anybody find it "challenging?" I certainly didn't. I was disappointed. I expected at least Desert Treasure hard. The newer quests are even dumber and easier.

Skill "teachers"

I'm a veterin in this game, so to speak. I've played for several years, back when there were no skill "teachers" that gave out free arrows and runes, then told you what to do. I played when there was challenge in this area of RuneScape. I played when I had to ask players how to make flour and bread and such. It wasn't easy, but it was FUN. This part doesn't matter to me, I'm not jealous of how easy it is for new players, I feel sorry for them, that they don't get to experience them.

Wilderness "ditch"

What is up with this? Who asked for this? Who needs this? How is this helpful in the least? The message that popped up before the ditch, I though, was enough. Now, they go build a freaking ditch across the Wilderness! I don't even remember, without rereading the update message, what the reason was. This doesn't change anything between the Wilderness/World line. Before the ditch, you would get a warning message one time that would stop you before going any further, and with the ditch, it's the same thing. The only difference is that it slows things down, not by much, but it slows things.

Random Events

Everyone gets them all the time. Their purpose is to slow down macroers. But it's backfiring. All the honest players are being hurt in the process. No one can just woodcut and look at the forums. The "relaxing" skills, such as woodutting and fishing, are anything but. When I fish, every inventory, I get a, "I need your help, Pjtomboy!" or "Ello der, Pjtomboy!" or "Greetings, Pjtomboy." And this is literally every inventory. I'm currently mining, while writing this, and got a Rock Golem. They throw stuff at you, now. This doesn't slow down macroers any more than regular players. We are suffering for Jagex's problem. Jagex can't get rid of all the macroers, so they invent new random events. What does this do? Stalls them. What would be more usefull, in my opinion? Adding monsters that attack low levels. Most macroers are level 3-17. Of course, they will then be forced to raise combat. That would slow them down. Way down. As for the honest players..most of us are higher level and it won't bother us at all. I'm not saying this is the best solution, because it's not. It will slow down those of us that want to be "skillers" that are level 3 with 99 everything.

RuneScape is popular. Too popular. People are scamming other players, so they can be better. People are stealing passwords, friends are hacking friends, one guy commited suicid over it. People steal accounts, then sell them on Ebay, or whereever to make real-life money. For some, it's their way to make money. There's nothing Jagex can do about this. It's the player, this time.

Rares

This is what I hate the most. Not just anyone can get one of these. Masks are my favorite, I would love to get one to wear, they look so neat. But I'm afraid. I don't want to die due to lag and a random event, thus losing it. I also don't want to clean my bank for one. Partyhats are nice, too. Today, most newcomers are smart. They realise this: it makes no sense to charge 500M for something that looks the way it does and has no purpose, and is worth 2gp to the store. Rares are necessary, though. They're the top of the economy. They're the most expensive and flexible items in the game. They're required. But, they're useless.

I've had people ask me, "Why do you make so many noobs?" And my answer always is, "I'm looking for a challenge." It's not challenging to do anything anymore. Making accounts from scratch gives me that fresh-start feeling that I miss. I like feeling new to the world, being forced to look at the world map to find out where I am. I guess you could relate this post to that of the dragons post a while back. That summed up EVERYTHING I felt about RuneScape now. I feel like I've beaten the game at level 100 with a 1624 total level!

wiseoldmanv2jpgvx2.jpg

do u wow?

Cassiius|Level 70 Night Elf Preist|Runetotem

Sambora|Level 37 Tauren Shaman|BurningLegion

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

trytherants forum...

bpkwolfen.png

99 Fletching 99 Cooking 99 Thieving 99 herbloree 99 magic 99 crafting 99 smithing 99 attack 99 strength 99 defence 99 hitpoints

99woodcutting 99mining 99 fishing 99 firemaking 99 hunter 99 prayer

Wow. That sums up my entire stand on RS.

Quests should actually have storylines. They havn't released many other than the goblin series for a while.

"Ditch of Stupidity"

Randoms-- bunch of crap.

Our chat system is for 9 year olds.

Although about the skill tutors. They're their for people who are just starting, why be selfish about things, just because you had to go through hard times mean other newer players have to?

Agreed. Jagex treats all like young kids. They should remove the censor but make it if you swear, boom ban.

Runescape player since 2005
Ego Sum Deus Quo Malum Caligo et Barathum

I agree with you on the macroing part. On every game I have played in my life, they just implemened some gay stuff to try and stop autoers but then fair players had the same gay stuff.. IMO the only way to stop macroing in any MMORPG is to hire real mod that patrols the game to ban macroer. I mean, when a mod talk to you (even Player mod) it bypass any block you have on. Which mean, your public chat could be off, you would still see their words. Anyone not replying to a mod under 20 seconds is in my mind a macroer. But then they would have to pay those mods... whatever.

Hell+Raven.png

trytherants forum...

This isn't really a rant, it's more of a comment about Jagex. Which is why I put it here.

wiseoldmanv2jpgvx2.jpg

do u wow?

A few more things...

Why doesn't Jagex update things for high levels? The latest update was for like level 30-40. Why not 80+? For the spit a while back, why couldn't they made it a mith spit? Level 67 to make. I want to have to work to get this update. I can now know fully that I will be able to do every update Jagex will ever have to offer, with just a 1624 total. It's gotten to that point.

wiseoldmanv2jpgvx2.jpg

do u wow?

Just because you say it in real life doesn't mean it's nice :?

But that's not the point. It's gotten to a point where we can't even speak full sentances without half of it being blocked.

Off-topic...I like your avatar, lol.

wiseoldmanv2jpgvx2.jpg

do u wow?

Why does Jagex think that "gay" is a bad word? try saying the name of that show "qu33r eye for the straight guy"

censored!

:shame:

I think that we should be able to say words that are PG-13 at least.

Chat:

Honestly, what do you need to say any of those words for?

Like you said, "that six-year-olds say". If you are supposed to be over 13 to play, I hope you are somewhat mature enough to be over words like that. Most people that are 13+ use the words that should be censored, not the words you stated. So realistically, it shouldn't matter that they are filtered.

I haven't played RS in a few months, but I have never had any major problems with the censor. On occasion something comes up and it censors a word that it legitimate, but it is never something that I can't find a word to substitute easily.

Quests:

I agree that they need some harder/more challenging quests, but as I'm sure you have learned if you have played for a reasonable amount of time, this just won't happen. It's a rare occasion that Jagex releases a quest worthy of a challenge to anyone with a decently high level.

Skill Teachers:

Many people enjoy the aspect of learning a game on their own, but even more people get frustrated if they can't figure something out and end up quiting before seeing the true aspects of the game. By adding skill tutors, Jagex was able to pull in more people to the game that would continue playing past their first hours or two. This eventually translates to more members and more money. Who could blame them?

Wilderness Ditch:

It's their answer to the tons of messages that they receive daily regarding people being lured into the wilderness and killed while having millions on them. It is necessary? No. It's called common sense. But, from Jagex standpoint, it was an easy solution.

However, it would be nice to have an option in the tools menu to automatically jump the ditch. Though honestly I have never personally seen the ditch, just read about it.

Random Events:

They are a pain at times, but for me, it kind of breaks up the monotony of things. If there were absolutely no randoms, the autoing problem would be worse. Having random makes it so that only the better of programmers can make a program to auto. Unfortunately, that is still a lot.

Popularity:

Popularity is Jagex goal. It equals money. They do not want that to change, ever.

Rares:

They are what they are. I personally love them and not because of anything more then memories. I have quite a few, and every one of them (with the exception of a few santas) are from their corresponding drops. I have never sold a rare and never will, I don't even rare them but once in a blue moon. They will die with my account. I hold no value other then to remind me of the times I played. From my Phats to masks to bunny ears and so on.

I can't see how you feel you have "beaten" the game. There is so many possible goals to set in this game. I am 122 combat with whatever my skill total is stuck at. Have I even come close to beating the game in my mind? No. Have I become bored with the game and stoped playing? Yes. But I think there are still a ton of unfinished things I could do if I decide to play again.

sig1178ko.jpg

Sykoknight - 1900 skill total - 132+ combat

Fighting High Scores from late 2001 - Ranked 1894

Prayer High Scores from March 2002 - Ranked 749

Ya, I've been around too long.

It's ironic that Jagex states they don't allow people under 13 to play, yet they both know most of their players are younger than that and they cater to their (the younger members') needs, wishing to make more money. Sadly, if they don't please the majority, the youthful morons, they're out of luck, and they know it.

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

i totally agree with you!

all random events do is slow autoers down and mess things up for 99% of the players. they dont even stop them! they have code that gets right by the randoms! there usless.

there is more of a microer problem now then in classic and in classic there where for the most part no randoms unless you count fatigue.

and dont even get me started on the chat system!!

runescape is honestly becoming the joke of the mmorpg world

i totally agree with you!

all random events do is slow autoers down and mess things up for 99% of the players. they dont even stop them! they have code that gets right by the randoms! there usless.

there is more of a microer problem now then in classic and in classic there where for the most part no randoms unless you count fatigue.

and dont even get me started on the chat system!!

runescape is honestly becoming the joke of the mmorpg world

Classic had autoers as well, things have just grown in scale.

Firstly, the population in RS has increased by what, 10-20 times or more? That means the base population of autoers would most likely increase 10-20%. 100 autoers in classic would be 1-2k autoers nowdays.

Also, there is now a demand for autoers, a market for him. Sure, people bought money illegally in RSC, but it was not nearly as widespread as it is today. The more of a market for autoers, the more there will be present.

It is money to them, not RS money, but REAL money. It's like a job...no matter what Jagex does, they will find a way around it so that they can make their money.

Unfortunately their desire top make money only hurts everyone else that plays the game for the real reason, fun.

sig1178ko.jpg

Sykoknight - 1900 skill total - 132+ combat

Fighting High Scores from late 2001 - Ranked 1894

Prayer High Scores from March 2002 - Ranked 749

Ya, I've been around too long.

We are being sheltered.

Chat

When someone signs up to play RuneScape, they have to sign an agreement that they are thirteen years or older. If this is true, as I beleive it is, why is there a chat filter that blocks some of the following unecessary words:

[developmentally delayed]

turd

gay

geek and nerd used to be

suck(s)

Lets take it from the top.

Even though you say that these are things six-year-olds say, have you taken a stroll through your local elementary/junior high/high school lately? Just because your 13 doesnt mean instant maturity. I'm one of the lucky ones who matured at an earlier age and realise there's better things to life then running around screamin stupid stuff like a mindless idiot. The filter was put intoplace because some 13, 14, 15, even as old as 17-year-olds still use immature words such as those. My 17-year-old brother still walks around making poop noises with his mouth. Why? I dont know. Mature? You decide.

The censor is so bad, that most of the time, half your sentance will be blocked and the person you are talking to will be like huh?

Another thing, why can't we type more than a certain amount of spaces? Does Jagex think our minds can't come up with more than 60 characters?

I find this to be rather annoying, but id you shy away with things that come from immature words you should be fine. I dont run into this problem as much and as often as some people point it out to be

Quests

Have you ever done a recently-released quest that made you think? I mean really really made you think? Do you remember that "super-hard" quest released a few months ago? Contact was the name. Did anybody find it "challenging?" I certainly didn't. I was disappointed. I expected at least Desert Treasure hard. The newer quests are even dumber and easier.

Oh dear me, this is THEE most annoying thing of any. Part of the reason I stopped doing quests. When I see level 40's running through Monkey Madness like it's no other quest, it makes me sick. I remember the day when quests such as: Family Crest, The Grand Tree, Waterfall, and Temple of Ikov were actraully challanging! YOu had to be the best of the best to complete them. I did Family Crest recently and I killed the demon with 12 blast spells while hiding. HIDING! In the past a legends cape actraully meant something and symbolized power. Now it's treated as a piece of rubbish and a "decrative" artifact amoung obby and fire capes.

Skill "teachers"

I'm a veterin in this game, so to speak. I've played for several years, back when there were no skill "teachers" that gave out free arrows and runes, then told you what to do. I played when there was challenge in this area of RuneScape. I played when I had to ask players how to make flour and bread and such. It wasn't easy, but it was FUN. This part doesn't matter to me, I'm not jealous of how easy it is for new players, I feel sorry for them, that they don't get to experience them.

Oh man the good ol' days. I spent a good few months just walking around having no idea where i was. Why? Because my brother told me I wanst allowed to use the world map. Now? There's a guide/map/walkthrough for everything. If I were Jagex i'd start making a whole new world. After it's finished have a quest where everyone could explore the new world. Quite frankly I think i've exhuasted all the excitement out every place in Runescape. The game is still fun but there's nothing new that I dont know how to do (with the exceptoion of quests)

Wilderness "ditch"

What is up with this? Who asked for this? Who needs this? How is this helpful in the least? The message that popped up before the ditch, I though, was enough. Now, they go build a freaking ditch across the Wilderness! I don't even remember, without rereading the update message, what the reason was. This doesn't change anything between the Wilderness/World line. Before the ditch, you would get a warning message one time that would stop you before going any further, and with the ditch, it's the same thing. The only difference is that it slows things down, not by much, but it slows things.

I beleive this was implanted to destroy luring, which I think it did

Random Events

Everyone gets them all the time. Their purpose is to slow down macroers. But it's backfiring. All the honest players are being hurt in the process. No one can just woodcut and look at the forums. The "relaxing" skills, such as woodutting and fishing, are anything but. When I fish, every inventory, I get a, "I need your help, Pjtomboy!" or "Ello der, Pjtomboy!" or "Greetings, Pjtomboy." And this is literally every inventory. I'm currently mining, while writing this, and got a Rock Golem. They throw stuff at you, now. This doesn't slow down macroers any more than regular players. We are suffering for Jagex's problem. Jagex can't get rid of all the macroers, so they invent new random events. What does this do? Stalls them. What would be more usefull, in my opinion? Adding monsters that attack low levels. Most macroers are level 3-17. Of course, they will then be forced to raise combat. That would slow them down. Way down. As for the honest players..most of us are higher level and it won't bother us at all. I'm not saying this is the best solution, because it's not. It will slow down those of us that want to be "skillers" that are level 3 with 99 everything.

I dont mind them actraully. The massive amounts of Gems and Genies i've gotten from hunting is wicked nice. I wish I got costume events though! I see how those attacking events could be a problem. I almost died to a rock golem once while multitasking (mining and reading the forums)

RuneScape is popular. Too popular. People are scamming other players, so they can be better. People are stealing passwords, friends are hacking friends, one guy commited suicid over it. People steal accounts, then sell them on Ebay, or whereever to make real-life money. For some, it's their way to make money. There's nothing Jagex can do about this. It's the player, this time.

I think Jagex should cut back on advertising and take some time to focus on customer support

Rares

This is what I hate the most. Not just anyone can get one of these. Masks are my favorite, I would love to get one to wear, they look so neat. But I'm afraid. I don't want to die due to lag and a random event, thus losing it. I also don't want to clean my bank for one. Partyhats are nice, too. Today, most newcomers are smart. They realise this: it makes no sense to charge 500M for something that looks the way it does and has no purpose, and is worth 2gp to the store. Rares are necessary, though. They're the top of the economy. They're the most expensive and flexible items in the game. They're required. But, they're useless.

I also fear rares. All my hardwork could be gone in a matter of seconds

I've had people ask me, "Why do you make so many noobs?" And my answer always is, "I'm looking for a challenge." It's not challenging to do anything anymore. Making accounts from scratch gives me that fresh-start feeling that I miss. I like feeling new to the world, being forced to look at the world map to find out where I am. I guess you could relate this post to that of the dragons post a while back. That summed up EVERYTHING I felt about RuneScape now. I feel like I've beaten the game at level 100 with a 1624 total level!

You're telling me. I use to make tons of noobs back in the day. Just low level pkers to run around. Seems the only "challenge" nowa days is Boss Monters and 99's. Turns out Boss monsters such as KQ, Dks, and the Barrows are all easily killed by yourself. I've even seen guides and videos of people soloing the Chaos Elemental. 99's are the only real challenge and they're not evne that hard. Just take lots of dedication

made0f12une.png

^^ClicK^^

"I backed my car into a cop car the other day

Well he just drove off sometimes life's ok

Alright already we'll all float on

Alright don't worry we'll all float on" - Isaac Brock

Days Hunting:4 - Kingly Imps Caught:2

Money Earned: 4.5-5m

I've always thought whoever does the censor at Jagex should be hanged..

The word 'Sex' is censored! How damn stupod, Runescape is 13+, and if you find reproduction offensive then you should be shot.

Yes, we all know how it could be used to make something offensive, but so can almost any word in the English language, grow up Jagex..

calvinandhobbessigedite.png

I agree with Rebdragon.

Jagex only has that 13+ clause so they can dodge possible lawsuits in the future. However, they are perfectly aware that the main demographic in the game is under 13. Hence the decreasing difficulty and increasing stupidity of the new content.

blackmageid8.png

I've always thought whoever does the censor at Jagex should be hanged..

The word 'Sex' is censored! How damn stupod, Runescape is 13+, and if you find reproduction offensive then you should be shot.

Yes, we all know how it could be used to make something offensive, but so can almost any word in the English language, grow up Jagex..

At first I thought their goal with the censor was to preserve a mature and adult community. Keeping the immature childish remarks out.

Now with the teachers, noobs, "dumbing" down the game and such I'm starting to think their goals have changed

made0f12une.png

^^ClicK^^

Even though you say that these are things six-year-olds say, have you taken a stroll through your local elementary/junior high/high school lately? Just because your 13 doesnt mean instant maturity. I'm one of the lucky ones who matured at an earlier age and realise there's better things to life then running around screamin stupid stuff like a mindless idiot. The filter was put intoplace because some 13, 14, 15, even as old as 17-year-olds still use immature words such as those. My 17-year-old brother still walks around making poop noises with his mouth. Why? I dont know. Mature? You decide.

How many times do we have to go over the "no, we don't think all younger kids are immature, but in general they usually are" explanation? Honestly?

I think Jagex should cut back on advertising and take some time to focus on customer support

But that's less moneyz for them :ohnoes: !

I just don't get rares, nor how they help the economy in any way, shape or form. They're just easy money... not much else.

You're telling me. I use to make tons of noobs back in the day. Just low level pkers to run around. Seems the only "challenge" nowa days is Boss Monters and 99's. Turns out Boss monsters such as KQ, Dks, and the Barrows are all easily killed by yourself. I've even seen guides and videos of people soloing the Chaos Elemental. 99's are the only real challenge and they're not evne that hard. Just take lots of dedication

Ya, I've goten pretty bored at the Dagganoth Kings :| . Maybe I'd still be playing if the hardest, toughest pack of monsters in the game weren't so f'ing easy to beat down.

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

I'll have to disagree with you or comment in some points.

Chat

[developmentally delayed]turd

gay

geek and nerd used to be

suck(s)

Does the current generation ever considering swearing to be offensive? It is now becoming frequently used words in daily and over usage of it makes it lose its meaning.

Agreed, Jagex needs to relax their censors a bit. It is apparently too strict and talking in game is not really very good now.

Quests

You sounded like you used a guide during questing which takes out the challenge of the quest. If you want to make quests that kill your brain cells, try doing mourning ends pt2 without a guide.

Random Events

Random events are useful in way that they can provide free clothing choices for what limited f2p has. It also helps to break the monotony of training the skill. I don't understand why you would be bothered over it. :roll: Putting lots of aggressive monsters everywhere is not a very good idea anyway, it's going to affect pure skillers.

RuneScape is popular. Too popular. People are scamming other players, so they can be better. People are stealing passwords, friends are hacking friends, one guy commited suicid over it. There's nothing Jagex can do about this. It's the player, this time.
If not for the majority of the players having a low IQ, would this even able to happen?

Rares

Rares should not be considered an item that you should use to brag about your wealth. Sure it's ok to take it out and wear sometimes, but most of the times it is only considered an investment to be kept in your bank and waiting for a chance to be sold for some extra money. It also serves to create goals for players to acquire them by their outrageous prices.

Strangely with WotLK so near, I wished I could delay it a bit to push through that last TBC content in MH/BT :'(.

How many times do we have to go over the "no, we don't think all younger kids are immature, but in general they usually are" explanation? Honestly?

But that's less moneyz for them :ohnoes: !

I just don't get rares, nor how they help the economy in any way, shape or form. They're just easy money... not much else.

Ya, I've goten pretty bored at the Dagganoth Kings :| . Maybe I'd still be playing if the hardest, toughest pack of monsters in the game weren't so f'ing easy to beat down.

I no longer fear barrows as I've realised how easy it is.

The saddest thing ever in the world is a sellout. Jagex use to be such a great gaming community. Andrew and the rest of the mods use to go around and play the game with you in RSC. They were part of the game!

I remeber the last time i've ever seen Andrew and Paul ingame was when Burthope games room was realised. They dont even bother to show up at new updates anymore. They've sold out and it's quite sad. They're no longer in business for the game and the players, but in business for the money.

made0f12une.png

^^ClicK^^