Photographic Proof of a Black Hole?

The Dark Lord

Lol... the white light surrounding it proves it is not a black hole. White light would NOT appear in a black hole - hence why it is called a black hole. The gravity is so strong, light gets turned completely into heat and is stored as a tiny, yet extremely hot, black substance in the black hole.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hm. I expected some of those Britney Spears no-panties pics. Creepy.

I've seen some black holes pictures...one in Guiness, maybe? Very interesting stuff.

:shock:

Omg can he say that? :lol:

newsigzl2.jpg

^Sir Jem 05-The Bunny Drinking Blog?^ Click it!

tetsupportsig2.jpg

Black holes are powerful enough to trap light - anything in its event horizon is lost. Therefore, it is not possible to "see" a black hole. What you see is a space where light cannot be seen. However, there are a few different boundaries to a black hole. There is one that not even light can escape from. But as you go farther out, you can guess at different theoretical boundaries, such as the boundary light can escape from but, for example, a neighboring star can't.

So, it happens that sometimes the gasses from a neighboring star are "eaten" by a black hole, which would look something like this.

Actually, while that image is photoshopped, it's quite realistic. Because of the way a black hole affects light, you would indeed see something like that if you were close enough to observe. It's "light lensing", and can be seen in rather smaller amounts around the more massive planets, and neutron stars.

That looks a lot more realistic than the other one, because this one is actually explained.

C2b6gs7.png

I think this is a frame from a GIF animation on a wikipedia page I saw a while ago. that is what it would look like though, the light bent around the black hole in certain places.

Black holes are called black holes because they are invisible! You can't see them! The only way to know if a Black Hole is present is the light from the material being sucked in by the black hole. The hole is so dense that it even sucks in light, once the light gets inside, black holes have like a ring around them of stars and debris and stuff. A black hole also gives off a kind of radiation that scientists can measure with ceartain instruments. Black holes were already proven to exist by the way...

blackholeoo9.jpg

Black Hole^^^

Not all black holes are surrounded by planets etc. the kind you're thinking of are supermassive black holes, which are thought to be the centers of galaxies. Black holes do give off super hot matter though, some accelerated to near light speeds =\

fishing.gif

It is impossible to get a photograph of a black hole. Top of my science class ftw?

A black hole is an object with a gravitational field so powerful that a region of space becomes cut off from the rest of the universe - no matter or radiation (including light) that has entered the region can ever escape. As not even light can escape, black holes appear black (resulting in the name for these objects).

While the idea of an object with gravity strong enough to prevent light from escaping was proposed in the 18th century, black holes as presently understood are described by Einstein's theory of general relativity, developed in 1916. This theory predicts that when a large enough amount of mass is present within a sufficiently small region of space, all paths through space are warped inwards towards the center of the volume. When an object is compressed enough for this to occur, collapse is unavoidable (it would take infinite strength to resist collapsing into a black hole). When an object passes within the event horizon at the boundary of the black hole, it is lost forever (it would take an infinite amount of effort for a rocket to climb out from inside the hole). Although the object would be reduced to a singularity, the information it carries is not lost.

While general relativity describes a black hole as a region of empty space with a pointlike singularity at the center and an event horizon at the outer edge, the description changes when the effects of quantum mechanics are taken into account. The final, correct description of black holes is unknown (it requires a theory of quantum gravity).

What I'm trying to prove is that it is not possible to get the light required to get a photograph of a black hole, unless you were outside the event horizon, which can be miles in diameter, so you still couldn't get the light to travel to that point.

tifsbti6oi.gif

It is impossible to get a photograph of a black hole. Top of my science class ftw?

A black hole is an object with a gravitational field so powerful that a region of space becomes cut off from the rest of the universe - no matter or radiation (including light) that has entered the region can ever escape. As not even light can escape, black holes appear black (resulting in the name for these objects).

While the idea of an object with gravity strong enough to prevent light from escaping was proposed in the 18th century, black holes as presently understood are described by Einstein's theory of general relativity, developed in 1916. This theory predicts that when a large enough amount of mass is present within a sufficiently small region of space, all paths through space are warped inwards towards the center of the volume. When an object is compressed enough for this to occur, collapse is unavoidable (it would take infinite strength to resist collapsing into a black hole). When an object passes within the event horizon at the boundary of the black hole, it is lost forever (it would take an infinite amount of effort for a rocket to climb out from inside the hole). Although the object would be reduced to a singularity, the information it carries is not lost.

While general relativity describes a black hole as a region of empty space with a pointlike singularity at the center and an event horizon at the outer edge, the description changes when the effects of quantum mechanics are taken into account. The final, correct description of black holes is unknown (it requires a theory of quantum gravity).

What I'm trying to prove is that it is not possible to get the light required to get a photograph of a black hole, unless you were outside the event horizon, which can be miles in diameter, so you still couldn't get the light to travel to that point.

^^ your post

wikipedia:

While the idea of an object with gravity strong enough to prevent light from escaping was proposed in the 18th century, black holes as presently understood are described by Einstein's theory of general relativity, developed in 1916. This theory predicts that when a large enough amount of mass is present within a sufficiently small region of space, all paths through space are warped inwards towards the center of the volume. When an object is compressed enough for this to occur, collapse is unavoidable (it would take infinite strength to resist collapsing into a black hole). When an object passes within the event horizon at the boundary of the black hole, it is lost forever (it would take an infinite amount of effort for a rocket to climb out from inside the hole). Although the object would be reduced to a singularity, the information it carries is not lost (see the black hole information paradox).

:shame: :^o

some matter can actually escape the black hole, at near light speeds, in the jets of incredibly hot and fast matter ejected from the black hole at the opposite sides of the singularity.

fishing.gif

some matter can actually escape the black hole, at near light speeds, in the jets of incredibly hot and fast matter ejected from the black hole at the opposite sides of the singularity.

Actually... there is stuff that can escape the grasp of the black hole, but its not matter. Its anti matter.

It is known that at some points in time, some matter just comes into existence, and with it, some anti matter. Now if this happens near a black hole, a certain effect starts to happen. The matter does go into the hole, but the anti matter comes out of the hole. This gives it the effect of radiation.

I probably said something wrong, but this is what i can gather from a documentary i watched. Seriously, unless you are on the level of Stephen hawking, no one here has the know how of how a black hole actually works. The only way to figure it out is through theoretical mathematics.

mergedliongr0xe9.gif

Sig by Ikurai

Your Guide to Posting! Behave or I will send my Moose mounted Beaver launchers at you!

Black holes are collapsed stars, and thus, they're inside of galaxies...Kinda' hard to get a picture of that. We'd have to find one in our galaxy and then get a good picture of it.

I don't know of ANY "real" pictures, only artist renderings.

The popularity of any given religion today depends on the victories of the wars they fought in the past.

- Me!

1178057789773.jpg

Pretty manga girls :) one of my weakness...

Anyways, that's so photoshpped that it can be part of a gallery in deveiant art... Seriously, I highly doubt about the existence of hi-res pictures of black holes because their distance in relation with the earth.

firmatemplariokz5.jpg

http://darkluniux.blogspot.com

Behold my blog! Thou shalt visit it and rejoice!

Black holes are collapsed stars, and thus, they're inside of galaxies...Kinda' hard to get a picture of that. We'd have to find one in our galaxy and then get a good picture of it.

I don't know of ANY "real" pictures, only artist renderings.

It's impossible to get a real picture, as many have said, light escapes it. Our photographic sensors work on the simple logic that visible light is reflected. If the light is being pulled in, and then compressed into a singularity, it is impossible to get a picture.

But, it is possible to observe black holes by the stuff going around it.

mergedliongr0xe9.gif

Sig by Ikurai

Your Guide to Posting! Behave or I will send my Moose mounted Beaver launchers at you!

^^ your post

wikipedia:

(exactly the same)

:shame: :^o

I'd like to take this moment to declare an official "ownt" on alyssal's first sentence.

If you'd shown us you used a source, there'd be no problem. But c'mon, don't just cut and paste to try and make yourself look smart :| .

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

ok....ok....ya caught me! Trying to make myself smarter than I actually am #-o You owned me there. Oh well......I proved a point didn't I? :wall:

It's cool man, y'still got a special place in my heart. <3:

thesip2.jpg

It really has

Black holes are called black holes because they are invisible! You can't see them! The only way to know if a Black Hole is present is the light from the material being sucked in by the black hole. The hole is so dense that it even sucks in light, once the light gets inside, black holes have like a ring around them of stars and debris and stuff. A black hole also gives off a kind of radiation that scientists can measure with ceartain instruments. Black holes were already proven to exist by the way...

blackholeoo9.jpg

Black Hole^^^

That looks more like a quasar to me.

http://content.answers.com/main/content ... ration.jpg

They're very young galaxies powered by very powerful black holes.

you cant see black holes. its that simple

no light can escape them. there for you cant see the hole itself

if you look at the spread of start and see a large patch with nothing, there is possibly a black hole there

i wont go into more detail for fear of breaking someones brain

I'm gonna be walking down an alley in varrock, and walka is going to walk up to me in a trench coat and say "psst.. hey man, wanna buy some sara brew"

walka92- retired with 99 in attack, strength, defence, health, magic, ranged, prayer and herblore and 137 combat. some day i may return to claim 138 combat, but alas, that time has not yet come

if you look at the spread of start and see a large patch with nothing, there is possibly a black hole there

:lol: Dude, this isn't a hard concept to understand :lol: .

Anyways, it's already been stated about fifty times on this thread, so there's no need to be redundant :-$ .

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

lol at you thinking you are smarter than everyone else.

I said it on the first page, the fifth post. About 3 out of every 4 posts since have also said it. It is by no means a hard concept to understand.

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

Excuse me for a moment here, I need to pick up the pieces of my brain that fell out.

blackholeoo9.jpg

Black Hole^^^

That looks more like a quasar to me.

http://content.answers.com/main/content ... ration.jpg

They're very young galaxies powered by very powerful black holes.

Eh most quasars aren't galaxies, they're extremely fast moving stellar bodies. They move near the speed of light, and are thought to have been created during the big bang. the only reason we know that about them is because they're so bright, that we can see their light from the very outskirts of the universe, and it's red shifted (light shifts to the red end of the spectrum when it travels over great distances). If it were a quasar of this type all we would be able to see of it would be a red point of light.

that's an artistic rendering, right?

fishing.gif

Excuse me for a moment here, I need to pick up the pieces of my brain that fell out.

Lol, me too. =P~

:P

Lol, me too. =P~

Not again D: