Should a members only skill be opened up to f2p?

doswillrule

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

omg another stupid f2per wanting to get more content just because they dont pay 5 dollars every month. -.-

it has been stated before by jagex but i will repeat it for you

From here on out, there will be no major updates given to f2per's. That includes skills, quests, etc.

Yes that is a quote go to the archive on the rs forums

Yeah, this seems to be the opinion of most people when concerning the addition of p2p features to f2p. May I remind you that some people truly can't afford the $5 (ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâã3.20 in my case) or aren't allowed to become members. And I stick with farming, although I'm open to other suggestions.

Then you're just out of luck. Jagex is not running a charity. The only purpose for F2P is to make people want P2P. So, they're not going to give F2P another skill. Sure it would be fun for F2P, but it's not going to happen.

I agree. It's tough on, for example, kids whos parents won't let them pay for membership, but Jagex has no obligation to that. they are a company, and they must make money. Also, if they can afford to have a computer with a good enough interent connection to play runescape, they can probably afford £3.20 a month.

hot_lips255.png

Signature your in it put backwards this read to enough smart were you if.

Did you know that 78.45% of statistics are made up on the spot?

hot_lips255.png

[Removed - Site sends spam and requires personal information to recieve results] Bluelancer

No. But this doesn't mean Jagex is wrong to make a skill available to F2P. They are shooting themselves in the foot by doing that.

If a skill is resource gathering, like woodcutting, mining and fishing, then I say a definite no. It is potentially beneficial for members to have F2P gather cheap resources for us, in skilling and economical terms.

As for kids that can't pay, sorry, this is a sad excuse. We aren't talking about food, we see a homeless kid that is close to starving, then we do help them, or we aren't human. But we are talking about a non-essential game here.

Templar Guardians

When are trying to lend something, the word to use is borrow. Not barrows, which is a mini-game.

No. I'll explain why.

Let's take fletching for example. The first couple levels would be okay, since only shafts could be made, which requires F2P- only items. But how about making bows? Jagex would need to make bow string -> flax -> Catherby -> Taverly F2P, which is a bit much. This would greatly affect the price of many raw/complete materials (magic/yew logs, bowstring/flax, (u) bows/complete bows, etc.) which has already been greatly affected by RWT'ers in the past and present.

Next, hunter. Hunter is just out of the question. Getting the hunting items in the first place would need dozens of changes to be made, such as making the desert F2P, Yanille -> surrouding areas F2P, hunting locations F2P, and so on. It's just not a possible skill that can be made F2P.

I can probably go on and on about why every skill can't be made F2P, but I am lazy ( :^o )

rook_2222.png

F2P for life :D

I haven't read through the WHOLE thread, so I'm sorry if I'm making a redundant point but...

If any member's skill should be opened up to f2p, then it's fletching. I could never understand why Jagex allowed f2p to make their own runes (for magic or whatever), but not allow them to make arrows for their bows? This wouldn't even require the introduction of anything totally radical if they just limited f2p to making arrows only (as they already have access to knives, feathers and logs) as they would only have to make arrowheads smithable by f2p.

Probably would be a good idea if they only allowed up to addy, as that is the best ammo a f2p aquired bow can fire.

Tbh I think this only makes it fairer... well, either that or make all of RC member only so mages have to buy their own ammo too. (Hopefully this would also result in only one type of ess \' )

Two years ago (ok, maybe three), people were talking about increasing the kinds of bows and ammo in the F2P world. Of course that did happen.

Lots of people say there is a disadvantage to range because rangers can't make their own weapons. This is hardly true. Bronze - Steel arrows will still do incredible damage if your range stat is high enough. Sure, mithril and addy arrows are very expensive, but you can still do major damage with steel or iron.

Also- Did anyone mentioned the fact that F2P cannot make chaos or death runes?

If they were to open up fletching to F2P, they would also have to open up chaos runecrafting to F2P as well.

...... Comments?

My position on Fletching is that it should stay P2P and my reason is clear. Range does plenty of damage with bronze arrows. You can do more damage with bronze arrows on F2P than you can with mind runes. :) At 60 range, bronze does a max of 8- addy does a max of 10.

jirenma2001.png

Now I know the majority of you are advocating for F2P fletching. thats fine and all. I'm P2P myself and I can see how this would help, but honestly lets get to the point, rarely- I really mean rarely- do you see a person smithing addy arrowheads. I think most people with 75 smithing are P2P anyway.

Now, who says herblore wouldn't work? Obviously it's a member's only skill, but at the moment, the only potion available in F2P is a strength potion. I would say, open up herblore to F2P.

In fact, why not open up Taverly to F2P. Easy enough, you could have a guard or wall or something at Burthope and White Wolf Mountain, and also restrict access to the dungeon where you bless the meat for the herblore quest...

The only point to make is that I would only recommend keeping herblore at a max of level 30. No anti-poison, no Guthix balance potion, and nothing above a defense potion... and of course allow these potions access to F2P. I can't even sell my attack potions on P2P, so I don't think the economy will be effected at all. IMO this will open up a new economy. Newbies and devout F2Pers eager to use more potions.

...Comments???

jirenma2001.png

I somwhat agree.

I am P2P and this is not that I dont like F2P.

I think that non-members should have more skills as when my membership expires I stop playing runescape because I have nothing to do (done every F2P quest).

I dont agree because members pay the whole idea of membership is that you get extra features that non-members dont. So this would slightly annoy me and cause some players to unsubscribe.

My username is jamesrules90 NOT jimmyjames227.

897093.gif

Click here to feed me!

A nice undieable one!!!

I agree that F2P has almost no idea what members is like until you start coughing up those $5 each month. It's for that reason they installed the Lumbridge Gnomecopters, so they can get a look at what's going on down there.

But, I don't think making skills open to F2P would help ... it would just become another F2P skill (with member benefits) and change nothing to how they see members. I would suggest giving each account a one-time 2/3/5-trial, so that can check out what it's really like. However, there would have to be restrictions, to stop cheaters and RWT from getting into members for free.

They could even expand it by allowing 1 day of members each 4 months (3 days per year).

Imo, every f2per either doesn't want to be p2p, or is constantly thinking "omg omg i wanna be member right nao"

Not really. I would like to be members right now, but I'm not incredibly upset that I'm not at the moment. If the new pvp worlds are members only however... :shock:

This is going to be like a lot of responses to this but... NO! If you want more of the skills just pay the $5 a month. F2P is just a trial and members is the full game. If you want to enjoy the game more then buy a simple membership. :wall:

as in my last post, i would like to say, i dont like the attitudes of people like you. :shame:

But it's true! Jagex relies on these memberships to keep the game running. Why do you think current f2p players have so many worlds(servers) now? Jagex have to pay for these servers, and they don't get their money from air - or high alch for that matter. It is true that some people want those skills part cannot afford to pay for it. But - without the member population paying, there won't be any f2p worlds - or RS for that matter. Because of this, it is right that those who want to use member skills would have to pay for membership.

MSSW4Banner.gif

speedquick.png

• 2 weeks later...

Fletching? That's making arrows and bows over and over again. If you want arrows, the monsters in dungeon of player security drop more arrows than you can shoot away during a training.

I go for construction. The estate agent is already in Rimmington and Varrock, the sawmill is in east Varrock, the gardenshop in Falador, the limestone mine is just off the border of free player world. Hey, members can make cash out of selling limestone to free payers... Who needs flatpacks in member world? Maybe there is a need by free players? Construction can be a money source to members if they see the opportunity.

The lower leveled rooms like garden, parlour, kitchen, bedroom, dining room, workshop and chapel are good enough. A F2Per don't need a throneroom, servant or any fancy stuff with goldleaf.

Good thing is, if a member choose to stay a month away from member world, he can still visit his own house and meet friends.

greedy44.png

I don't think that a skill should.

To be honest, it's because I am paying to play right now. 6$ a month is enough reason for me to say no. When I was f2p I had more than enough skills to play with. I would still lobby for bank space or something to that effect. Maybe new weapons, better than rune scim, but not as good as dragon weapons.

If a P2P skill became F2P, there would be a huge outcry, worse than the PKing wilderness. Fletching was one reason I became a member. I don't want to feel like my money was wasted on something I could have simply waited for.

top_lel_face.png

A new F2P skill is not needed.

People said it could be a demo. Like we should be able to level it to 20 or 30 then, "maxed" in F2P. If it should be like that definitely no! All F2P skills should be a able to be maxed at 99.

If one P2P skill should become F2P is should be Fletch. I mean, melees can do their own weapons, rangers cant. We can make bows up to yew and arrows up to rune. That would loosen up the range skill too. If rune arrows is to much in F2P, let the addy arrows be the max.

15fgg40.gif

^ CLICK FOR BLOG ^

This is going to be like a lot of responses to this but... NO! If you want more of the skills just pay the $5 a month. F2P is just a trial and members is the full game. If you want to enjoy the game more then buy a simple membership. :wall:

as in my last post, i would like to say, i dont like the attitudes of people like you. :shame:

But it's true! Jagex relies on these memberships to keep the game running. Why do you think current f2p players have so many worlds(servers) now? Jagex have to pay for these servers, and they don't get their money from air - or high alch for that matter. It is true that some people want those skills part cannot afford to pay for it. But - without the member population paying, there won't be any f2p worlds - or RS for that matter. Because of this, it is right that those who want to use member skills would have to pay for membership.

How about this, if f2p doesnt like what they have, they can play a different MMORPG...o wait...no other free to play MMORPG compares to runescape's f2p...

free to play is supposed to be a trial, not a different league of superhuman runescapers

1-800slayer.png

Retired after 2 accounts and 8 years of scapin...2 accounts over 2,000 total...may my life rest in peace

Brawl Code:5327-0581-3706

speedquick: Yes, but Jagex must have had another income before members have to the world. Otherwise they should have fell into the grave right away, apparently they didn't. And of course members shall have benefits, otherwise it would be no point in paying. But is thread is about, not if F2P shall have a new skill or not, if F2P should get a P2P skill, which one?

sup3rpur: No, F2P is not a trail. A trail is a period of time that has an end, at the moment F2P has not such a thing. I actually think Jagex depends on f2p. But that's another topic.

Skull_Emblem: Yes, that's very logical. Melees can make their weapons, ranger cant.

15fgg40.gif

^ CLICK FOR BLOG ^

sup3rpur: No, F2P is not a trail. A trail is a period of time that has an end, at the moment F2P has not such a thing. I actually think Jagex depends on f2p. But that's another topic.

Jagex has straight up said its a trial.

Also, jagex breaks even with f2p players, and based off of other gaming websites they dont need f2p. The only reason f2p is around is to keep the economy from crashing. AKA, cutting yews, and fishing lobsters/swordfish, mining coal.

F2p does not need another skill. There is a reason we are paying $5 a month. We SUPPORT a game we play.

1-800slayer.png

Retired after 2 accounts and 8 years of scapin...2 accounts over 2,000 total...may my life rest in peace

Brawl Code:5327-0581-3706