Money Cap

Smapla

A recently locked thread stated that there is now no money cap in runescape. I at first believed this to be a simple error on the part of runescape customer service. Now I am wondering if perhaps a change has occurred. Since the update of the numbers changing color when certain amounts of a stacked item are placed together, could jagex have found a way to represent amounts higher than the previous cap different from before, but that allowed us to examine it as a number over 2.1 billion?

fishing.gif

you mean jagex updated from a 32 bit system to a 64 bit system?

yeah, that would make the cap suddenly SEEM to be endless.

for example, having a 64bit binary system would prolong the year 2038 problem by 290 billion years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2038_problem

that would work many wonders with the cap

um let me get this strait.

you think that by making the different colors, that jagex made it so that 1 orange = 10 yellow, etc, there by bi-passing it?

i dont believe so, i still think its 2.1bil, its been awhile since they changed it, and i think some rich guy or atlest jagex, would have stated that it has changed, and since i haven't seen anything, i dont think so.

changing from a 32 bit to a 64 bit on a game like runescape would mean having to basicly re-write the whole game, and also it would mean that it would take alot longer, to load runescape, which is exactly not what jagex wants to do, scrafic the small for the majority

legends2.jpg

Huh? :-s The first two posts confused me, and I have an IQ of 126. My brain hurts... :wall: #-o

Hyt Chat FOREVER

Killy_Da_Kid.png

Killy_Da_Kid.png

I have quit RuneScape. I have posted on the Leaving sticky saying so. Goodbye.

"Too late... my time has come... gotta leave you all behind and face the truth."

~ Freddie Mercury ~

um let me get this strait.

changing from a 32 bit to a 64 bit on a game like runescape would mean having to basicly re-write the whole game, and also it would mean that it would take alot longer, to load runescape, which is exactly not what jagex wants to do, scrafic the small for the majority

Umm, no.

We are not talking about changing the Java architecture from 32 to 64 bit. We are talking about changing the particular bit length of the integer which describes item amount in the bank/inventory.

It would actually require very small effort on the programming part, and would cause virtually no change in game speed. There might be a few weeks of testing for bugs and exploits, but that's about it.

Live free or die. First option is exhausted, so guess what remains?

I have been informed by jagex that the cap for any item will never be risen, they have many methods to make sure that it cant be broken. an intresting fact, if you did manage to go past it, it would start deleating other parts of your account.

The xp cap also has the same restraints, however it is set at 200M as it is a round number, it is not 2bil as the game records fractions of xp for some tasks, so the extra digit means it cant go past it.

sig2webzx7.jpg

If they would change the bank to 64-bit they should just do the entire game, they'll have to anyway soon. Everything is changing to 64 bit, I even have the 64 Edition of Vista (its cool, theres a lot of problems though...) If they change the whole game, I can still play so... YAY FOR ME!!!! :D :D :D

Pasty.png

By my calculations:

Current 36 bit gp cap = 2,122,317,312 (2.1bil)

A 64 bit gp cap = 569,705,352,862,367,744 (569,705 trillion)

(569 quadrillion)

Isn't it a 32 Bit gp cap not a 36 bit one?

mazurizi.png

I was actually thinking that perhaps they stored the number as one tenth (or similar) of the actual amount of gp in your bank, and then when it was examined, they added a zero to the end (or that random bit of gp from 1-9)

dunno, simplest answer is that the j mod who answered was just a complete idiot, or he wasn't a programmer, but rather a customer service guy or maybe an animator or something

fishing.gif

The current cap is 31 bits, not 32, as the values are signed integers (+/-) even though they have no need to be, as you cannot go into debt on Runescape.

32/64 bit environments make little difference, you can usually do 64 bit calcualtions in a 32 bit environment (in fact, with suitable arithmetic libraries, you can do arbitrary length calculations), or 32 bit ones in a 64 bit environment.

Huh? :-s The first two posts confused me, and I have an IQ of 126. My brain hurts... :wall: #-o

Even if you had 140 IQ it doesn't mean that you would have the knowledge to understand it. I really don't understand why people assume that when someone has very high IQ the person would know everything.

RaGetheGreat.png

Retired from RuneScape for as long as possible.

Now I am wondering if perhaps a change has occurred. Since the update of the numbers changing color when certain amounts of a stacked item are placed together, could jagex have found a way to represent amounts higher than the previous cap different from before, but that allowed us to examine it as a number over 2.1 billion?

i see, instead of introducing a new type of currency into runescape, they would simply program a new counting method.

basically, instead of counting in base 10, you could in another base. in my opinion to try to explain it to someone simply would take time, and a good demonstration. which i cannot really provide, at least not a good one.

when i was a boy in school, we would play trivia games between 1 half vs other half of the class in whatever subject we were studying. we always tallied the votes/score with slash marks, 4 |||| and then a diagonal slash(through the first 4) to represent groups of 5. think of RS's money originally, 2.1 single |'s, now since we have a way to say something like this(its been a while since i programmed, so lay off if its a bit sloppy)

Dim Value2 as Variant

if Value1 > 5 then

Value2 =Value2 + 1

Value1 = Value1 - 5

do until Value1 < 5

end if

this piece would be a small starting step into a long coding process of how to calculation $, and a way to display it. but now, your 2.1b max will automatically divide its self by 5 until it is less then 5, then it stops.

so basically instead of 2.1bil coins, it would still be 2.1bil, except now what this value is represented is really 5 coins for every 1

you would then display it like this or similarly

lblMoney.caption = value2 *5

now, i think this might display the amount of $ over 2.1bil correctly, but i have a doubt in my mind if it would work, just not 100% sure it would, but given time it could be debugged i believe.

i felt that was a bad explanation, if you didnt understand it dont worry. and dont ask me to explain it.

thats actually visual basic, i never did get into java. a very simple form of coding... and i just wrote it how i believe it should work.

im sure their is a java way to program that, since VB is actually like the baby sitter type of programming.

also that thread was a poll on who we thought had the most $, since he explained in an inappropriate manner that the $ cap did not exist anymore. i believe it violated 1 rule, confidential messages, and 2 violating player privacy, discussion a players monetary value really should be their choice, people always speculated R2pleasant and duke freedom's worth, but that kind of discussion should be private or with their permission especially on forum where this can be viewed in 2+ years later.

well for anybody thinks going to a 64 bit system is easy..

well yest it's easy - but it would also double the ammount of data storage! - I don't think it's worth that..

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

well for anybody thinks going to a 64 bit system is easy..

well yest it's easy - but it would also double the ammount of data storage! - I don't think it's worth that..

That would only be true with the current bank. If the system was revised so that your money stayed in the first slot, that space could be 64 bit, with the rest being 32 bit. There would still be a money cap in inventory though.

nh.jpg

well.. ok how does every1 that posted here know all this stuff about 32 and 64 bit i thought it had to do with color lol

everything is this world is limited, even in the virtual/cyber world things have limitations.

2.1bil is a max for some of the largest variables in programming.

coloration has nothing to do with it, but by changing the color, the game could could represent your $ via fractions

like, it says ok this is green, and that means like 1million i believe, then it says okay, any thing under = a fraction so you have 1.2mil coins, that becomes 1.2 now, multiply that by 2.1bil( now you see trillions could be possible)

however my above example was a simple yet incorrect example, i doubt any interger type variable could represent 2.1bil and more then 4 decimal place values. thats just a hunch tho

2.1bil is a max for some of the largest variables in programming.

actually, you can go 2.1b, its 2,121,276,323 or somethin like that. games like maplestory oso have this cap too, for example in their EXP system. actually, all games have this 2.1b or so cap, jus onli most players dont find out cos that number is probably impossible to reach unless ur some hardcore addict.