buy or get yourself?

rareghoul1

alright, this thread is basically to ask you this, do you buy raw materials for skills or do you just get them yourself? i.e. buy 1k sharks for cooking or spend a week fishing them. naturally this seems this is a short answer thread, so put in your reason for not obtaining the materials yourself or not buying them. and list any exceptions to this.

i personally prefer getting my own materials. i prefer it because i'm usually poor, and i like having my skills get higher instead of my cashpile getting lower. of course, if i ever see a sweet deal at a bank, i usually buy it, wether to use it or just merchant it.

rare%20ghoul2.gif

rare%20ghoul2.gif

I buy.

Someone made a nice example on another thread:

In an hour of Rc you can get enough money to buy what you would get in an hour of woodcutting, fishing and mining, by example.

It really saves time to buy.

2480+ total

ALWAYS buy, lol.

I have no interest really in raising gathering skills, I would rather spend double what materials are worth than collect them lol. So if I want raw materials either to use or to raise a secondary skill with, I buy them.

well i dont skill much, but when i fletch, i mainly cut willow logs and fletch as i cut them, so i get double exp and save money \'

oh and how the hell did you get 1000+ plus posts since april? :-k

the forums really distract me, i can never get back on rs if i was away for 5 minutes, these forums just make me keep on posting. i guess i have a lot to say.... ironic. oh and highlanders, if you get the money to buy something you could get in an hour, saves time to get it yourself, as it might take a while to buy it.

EDIT:when the hell did my cooking get to 59? damn, i gotta look into that.

rare%20ghoul2.gif

rare%20ghoul2.gif

Depends.

I am a merchant/skiller in my ways. Never really got into the whole combat thing at all. It always comes down to which part of me wins out, the skiller trying to be as efficent as possible, or the merchant trying to make as much money as possible. For this reason I have not been able to actualy smith a bar in months. Smelting them makes me a profit, but smithing is one of the biggest money losses possible.

I must say most of the time the merchant wins out, so I gather most of what I use.

I only get for fishing & cooking, as well as 2nds for herblore, all others buy.

Strangely with WotLK so near, I wished I could delay it a bit to push through that last TBC content in MH/BT :'(.

I usually gather my own resources, though sometimes I do resort to buying to save a bit of time.

sigraniiixx.gifEye-X.gif

blg.giff2p.giftfsn.gif

[spoiler=Stats:]Updated December 22, 2011:

Total level - 1442 - 170M+ XP , Combat level - 115

Combat skills: Attack - 90, Defence - 99 (24.45m+ XP), Strength - 90, Constitution - 99 (16.42M+ XP) Ranged - 99 (13.32M+ XP), Prayer - 60, Magic - 99 (13.25M+ XP)

Non-Combat skills: Cooking - 99 (13.80M+ XP), Woodcutting - 99 (31.95M+ XP), Fishing - 90, Firemaking - 99 (24.82M+), Crafting - 90, Smithing - 90, Mining - 85, Runecrafting - 60, Dungeoneering - 85

Whichever makes me the most money in the least time. Simple as that. This means that i would just buy stuff because the time saved is valuable, but i usually try to train 2 skills at once. Like mining/smithing, wcing/firemaking, fishing/cooking, etc.

Whatever i do, it never turns out to be a loss to my bank deposit. I do hate parting with money.

Life is a joke. Yeah, I don't get it either.

Some skills I gather, other skills I buy. Such as food and Herblore, I gather. Prayer I buy.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

I look at it this way:

I can make 300k an hour. I am now going to spend an hour getting materials. Are those materials worth 300k?

If the answer is "no, they're worth 150k", then I could make money for an hour, and buy 2 hours of work, or I could work for an hour, and get 1 hours work.

If the answer is "yes, they're worth 450k", then I could make money for an hour an a half, and buy an hour's work, or I could work for an hour, and get an hour's work.

yeah, i mostly buy my materials, unless i want to train two skills. fishing and cooking is a big on ethat i never buy materials. I fish every cooked fish i have. but i do buy cooked fish, since i can cook, so that doesn't count

99 Fletching 99 Attack 99 Constitution 99 Cooking 99 Strength

Gamertag: H8tebringer

h8tebringer-siggy-bloodskull-1.jpg

It depends, there was a time, when I wanted to get skills up, and make what I called: pure money. This is where it is all profit. Yet this ended up taking a long time, and so I bought things that i knew I could make into something worth more, and so sped up my money-making times :D

Because as they say, time is money! :thumbsup:

tifsiggy.jpg

Thanks to Quarra for the awesome sig!

Xbox360 Gamertag = Tintin113

Fletching: Buying both bowstrings and yews. At this points I make my own nats.

Cooking: A mix - I might spend some time fishing the sharkies but if I wanted 99 I'd defenitely buy it.

Herblore:: I'd collect all ingredients for that. But again, if I would go for 99 I'd buy it (if I had the cash of course :P)

Prayer: I would without a doubt buy the bones.

Construction: Same counts for construction. I would make the items needed for the lower levels myself - but if I could afford 99 and wanted it I would buy it.

Crafting: I would buy crafting 80% of the time. Just too slow to get the stuff yourself.

Farming: Buy at low levels - if going for 99 I would have to buy the seeds.

Firemaking: I would buy this skill at all time.

Smithing: I'd also buy this skill. At least from now on (71 atm and 74 mining). Mining just seems pointless to me so smithing would have to be bought.

99 ranged | 99 magic | 99 defence | 99 hitpoints

Remember, it's just a game

Feel free to add me on RS. :) Always ready for a chat.