New 2H animations

Screwball

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK first of all to everyone who thinks real 2-handed words were heavy and cumbersome, they were not. They weren't giant metal clubs with sharp edges; they were light, nimble and even flexible weapons, not much different than the shorter 1-handed "arming swords." In fact, 2-handers were specialized for thrusting, to pierce the plate armor which had replaced chainmail. They were an adaptation to advancements in armor. It was the previous generations of shorter swords which were slashing weapons; they were adapted to the chainmail of that period. This is a pet peeve of mine; the entertainment media has portrayed swords inaccurately pretty much everywhere, and RuneScape is no exception.

Anyway, I think I've discovered at least part of the motivation behind these animations. Those of you who know how to "moonwalk" in RS, try it with a 2H equipped. Your character now actually steps backwards and turns his head to see where he's going, rather than simply gliding backwards while doing the forward walking animation. I guess Jagex noticed the moonwalking fad and decided to adopt it, in a sense, which is pretty cool of them I guess.

I am F2P-only and therefore all my statements will reflect that and should be read accordingly.

OK first of all to everyone who thinks real 2-handed words were heavy and cumbersome, they were not. They weren't giant metal clubs with sharp edges; they were light, nimble and even flexible weapons, not much different than the shorter 1-handed "arming swords." In fact, 2-handers were specialized for thrusting, to pierce the plate armor which had replaced chainmail. They were an adaptation to advancements in armor. It was the previous generations of shorter swords which were slashing weapons; they were adapted to the chainmail of that period. This is a pet peeve of mine; the entertainment media has portrayed swords inaccurately pretty much everywhere, and RuneScape is no exception.

Unless I'm mistaken (which is likely; I'm just speculating), 2h swords are more based on claymores, and as such are appropriately animated. It's possible that Jagex is simply messing up their facts, but I thought they were going for more of a celtic bash-your-head-in claymore-ish style.

Anyway, I haven't used a 2h in over a year, but I do enjoy the new animation.

chesssigtexttipitlt0.jpg

Stunning signature created by the one and only My Boggy.

Just like Columbus he gets murderous on purpose

I like how the cape becomes wavy when wielding a 2h...Looks cool.

A stupid lvl 39 that is nowhere to be seen on the hgihscores said the cape wave was members only. :boohoo:

POG3.jpg

Pretty much what Dragon said.

Thread terminated.

I guess that means I'm the thread Terminator?

No Tip.Iters were harmed in the making of this post.

I honestly cannot comprehend anyone not liking it. It is easily my favorite animation - the way you run, walk, attack, block and the waving of the cape... I love it.

I really hope to see improvements to various other weapon animations now.

sigraniiixx.gifEye-X.gif

blg.giff2p.giftfsn.gif

[spoiler=Stats:]Updated December 22, 2011:

Total level - 1442 - 170M+ XP , Combat level - 115

Combat skills: Attack - 90, Defence - 99 (24.45m+ XP), Strength - 90, Constitution - 99 (16.42M+ XP) Ranged - 99 (13.32M+ XP), Prayer - 60, Magic - 99 (13.25M+ XP)

Non-Combat skills: Cooking - 99 (13.80M+ XP), Woodcutting - 99 (31.95M+ XP), Fishing - 90, Firemaking - 99 (24.82M+), Crafting - 90, Smithing - 90, Mining - 85, Runecrafting - 60, Dungeoneering - 85

I like it a lot, I hope they update the other weapons too.

This isn't entirely true. I'm not aware of any 2h sword that is better with stabbing than slashing. Many, like claymores, longsword, katanas, greatswords, sabers, etc were meant to outreach shorter weapons, and be strong enough to act independently of a shield. And all weapons i mentioned were primarily for slashing anyway. Only older, smaller swords relied on stabbing techniques, since it would be easier to swing a blade at someone than thrust at them.

I think the rs 2h is based on a cross between a greatsword and a claymore. It has the 2meter+ size of a claymore, but is blunt and broad like a greatsword.

And seriously, how would you get a 1m-2m sword through a person, short of charging them like a spear? It would be much more practical with slashing (although the crush aspect is rather unrealistic).

I agree it evolving to be used against chainmail part though. It annoys me how chainmail is so woefully understated in runescape, while it is really far more efficient than the ancient plate armor. It was also far more expensive to make than platemail due to the difficulty in making the mesh.

Life is a joke. Yeah, I don't get it either.

I really like it.... cant wait for the other weapons to get updates! It really makes the character look more...... heroic somehow...... The only thing i don't like, is that the cape moves. i like how it moves (i'm jealous....), but i saw a few scammers out there today saying: selling moving capes, 1k!Jagex better move fast to update everything else, or at least warn everyone that they arent special moving capes, and just a graphical update.

P.S. I forgot to mention. I was running next to someone with a 2h sword, and i noticed that the running looks alot more realistic.

Penguin Power!

MSSW3sig.png

^The last great war of the Wilderness....

Yeah, I don't have a cool signature, so the MSSW3 sig will have to do....

P.S. I forgot to mention. I was running next to someone with a 2h sword, and i noticed that the running looks alot more realistic.

Yeah eveything looks great with a 2h sword now! And walking/running actually looks like you're pushing yourself forward with your feets, not just floating away! I really hope they update all weapons that way at some point :D And I also love how each different attack style has it's own animation! and the way animations arent broke by attacks that much anymore

Quest cape obtained at combat level 83, march 07.