My issues with Athiests.

Giordano

Well, it's true Atheists don't preach publicly in the streets as some Christians, but they still have that right, don't they? As long as nobody forces me (or tries too much, to the point of being annoying and perhaps offensive) to believe anything, I'm fine with them. Also, for example, Agnostics believe, if I'm not mistaken that some things like the existence or absence of God(s), Life after Death, etc. are inherently unknowable due their own nature, especially since nobody has any viable proof. That means that they accept both Theism and Atheism as two possible realities, and thus we should be open minded toward other points of view.

In a perfect world...

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What? Isn't that the real, actual point of view of Agnostics? I'm just saying they do, or at least should in order to not to be the biggest hypocrites ever, support open-mindness.

This signature is intentionally left blank.

What? Isn't that the real, actual point of view of Agnostics? I'm just saying they do, or at least should in order to not to be the biggest hypocrites ever, support open-mindness.

Yeah that is what agnostics really believe in. I think what he was saying was that in a perfect world everyone would be agnostic.

wwidas6.jpg

As a strong Agnostic speaking, yes, that's the point of view we hold.

The credo I stand by is thus: I don't know, and neither do you. I'm open-minded to both sides of the debate, but as the strongest kind of Agnostic I find no purpose in examining the supernatural, at least beyond the extent of daydreaming and randomly pondering about the subject.

Yeah that is what agnostics really believe in. I think what he was saying was that in a perfect world everyone would be agnostic.

But that would be boring :P .

And for that matter, I find that weak atheism is just as good as agnosticism, I just hold a higher preference for the latter.

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

As a strong Agnostic speaking, yes, that's the point of view we hold.

The credo I stand by is thus: I don't know, and neither do you. I'm open-minded to both sides of the debate, but as the strongest kind of Agnostic I find no purpose in examining the supernatural, at least beyond the extent of daydreaming and randomly pondering about the subject.

But that would be boring :P .

And for that matter, I find that weak atheism is just as good as agnosticism, I just hold a higher preference for the latter.

I am basically the same as you in reference to my 'label.' It is true, however, that you, like me, are a weak atheist too. Either that or you actually believe in a god, which is fine, of course. Any lack of belief in any god equates to a weak atheism in reference to that god. All Christians are at least weak atheists of all gods but the judeo-christian god. As Dawkins states, "I just go one further."

I am basically the same as you in reference to my 'label.' It is true, however, that you, like me, are a weak atheist too. Either that or you actually believe in a god, which is fine, of course. Any lack of belief in any god equates to a weak atheism in reference to that god. All Christians are at least weak atheists of all gods but the judeo-christian god. As Dawkins states, "I just go one further."

True, though I make the division when I look at the basic statements of each. Basically, between

1) I lack belief in a god

and

2) I don't know, you don't know, and neither of us ever will

I prefer the second choice. Hate referencing the accursed, abominable SAT's, but it's like those questions that have two right answers, and you have to pick the one that's more right. That's what I'm doing- both descriptions describe my point of view, but strong agnosticism does it better :P .

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

True, though I make the division when I look at the basic statements of each. Basically, between

1) I lack belief in a god

and

2) I don't know, you don't know, and neither of us ever will

I prefer the second choice. Hate referencing the accursed, abominable SAT's, but it's like those questions that have two right answers, and you have to pick the one that's more right. That's what I'm doing- both descriptions describe my point of view, but strong agnosticism does it better :P .

Fair enough.

Shove a cork in it, lock the topic and throw away the key, seriously I am so sick of hearing crap about religion that I death glare x10 anyone in real life who's mentioned it in the past fortnight.

Oh not another person who gets their internet life mixed up with their social life! :P

Just Joking. :--)

By the way on topic, a lot of athiest out there don't respect people's religions, in fact a lot even despise the thought of someone believing in their faith and rejecting the world's way of thinking. Just another bit of hypocrisy, when they expect us to believe their theories are fact, even when they aren't proven.

Please, eels, don't mix atheism with science. The two are completely different. Just because atheists often accept science dosen't make science atheistic.

Don't even bring science into it. That's just a way for one side to justify themselves over the other. Both sides believe in science, for Pete's sake.

Untitled.png

My heart is broken by the terrible loss I have sustained in my old friends and companions and my poor soldiers. Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won. -Sir Arthur Wellesley

Shove a cork in it, lock the topic and throw away the key, seriously I am so sick of hearing crap about religion that I death glare x10 anyone in real life who's mentioned it in the past fortnight.

Oh not another person who gets their internet life mixed up with their social life! :P

By the way on topic, a lot of athiest out there don't respect people's religions, in fact a lot even despise the thought of someone believing in their faith and rejecting the world's way of thinking. Just another bit of hypocrisy, when they expect us to believe their theories are fact, even when they aren't proven.

Please, eels, don't mix atheism with science. The two are completely different. Just because atheists often accept science dosen't make science atheistic.

Don't even bring science into it. That's just a way for one side to justify themselves over the other. Both sides believe in science, for Pete's sake.

Who says I was referring to Science. :P

Your both write either way, though its an easy mistake to make Warrior. :wink:

And science belongs to neither 'side'. I was responding to eels use of the phrase 'thier theories.' The theories he is presumably talking about aren't atheistic any more than gravitation or the germ theory of disease is.

I am very tempted to make a topic with this title:

"My issues with people who argue about science and religion".

Srsly guys, this is old. Faith is a personal matter, so believing or not believing is a personal thing, and does not need to be discussed.

mergedliongr0xe9.gif

Sig by Ikurai

Your Guide to Posting! Behave or I will send my Moose mounted Beaver launchers at you!

I am very tempted to make a topic with this title:

"My issues with people who argue about science and religion".

Srsly guys, this is old. Faith is a personal matter, so believing or not believing is a personal thing, and does not need to be discussed.

Some of us like to argue whether it is useless or not, and to an extent it is probaly healthy :thumbsup:

mybest_1.jpg

-All sigs by me.

[My Gallery]

I have nothing against Athiesm as a whole, but I hate with a passion, people like my brother who bring it up regularly.

I constantly have to intervene fights between my mother and brother about religion. My brother, without fail, always goes the route of "There's no facts to God, and how stupid people would have to be to follow it." My mother isn't exactly good at arguments, so it's usually just my brother seeing how angry he can make her. One thing that really gets my goat about my brother, is the fact the he brings up fairly regularly that "The bible tell's people to kill us," To which I have to remind him that he lives a comfortable life, and no one has ever attempted to kill him. My brother, who complains endlessly about how he hates christians forcing their view on people, constantly argues that his "Logic and Reason" is the way of life and that we should follow it.

Again, I have nothing wrong with athiesm as a whole, because I'd be prejudice if I did, but people like my brother, who, day in day out read articles on "How athiests are being treated badly" and "Athiest is prosecuted for this that and whatever" on the internet, and it being a major part of his life, along with politics, if you ever talk to me, don't talk to me about either of the subjects.

That's enough about my rant on ignorant athiests, some of you guyses are alright, but the minority that aren't and make it a large factor of you're life have not my respect, whether they want it in the first place.

:)

In one corner, we have the PEOPLE WHO ATTEMPT TO FIND REASON AND LOGIC IN THE WORLD.

In the other corner we have the PEOPLE WHO BELIVE WHATEVER A 2,000 YEAR OLD BOOK TELLS THEM TO.

Who will win this ultimate deathmatch?

chompysigpleaseswork.png

You only have to type four extra keys for me to not think "ur" an idiot.

solardeathray.teensupergenius.com

Atheism is the absence of belief and thus there is nothing to push onto people. An atheist may pick apart and expose the flaws in a religious belief but has no belief system of its own to convince others of.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

The thing is, i think it depends on the age of the person and how much the know about the subject.

Now, i don't have a masters degree in theology... But i have made up my own mind, which is that i am an agnostic. If god someday would turn up and say hello, i would acknowledge his/hers/it's existence but i still wouldn't belive that their beliefs are right.

"Atheists claim Christians always push their believes to them when they are doing the exact, same thing to Christians?"

I'll answer this from my own belief: Have you ever seen anti-religious people crusading through country's and chopping off their heads if they don't agree to it?

Have they changed school subjects? (Kansas education.. hello)

Do we got missionaries going around and talking about anti-religion?

"Another thing I'll like to add to this, is when Atheists tell Christians to be open-minded. To possibily accept the idea that God isn't real, when themselves can't take the chance that God really exist?"

Until you can prove it by science and facts to me that god is real, i won't believe it.

But isn't hypocrisy then that religious people won't accept any other idea then that god is real?

-----

I don't know if i've contributed to the topic, but hopefully.

The problem i feel when talking about these deep and big subjects over the internet, is that you are somehow limited contrary to if it would be with people in a room.

J'adore aussi le sexe et les snuff movies

Je trouve que ce sont des purs moments de vie

Je ne me reconnais plus dans les gens

Je suis juste un cas désespérant

Et comme personne ne viendra me réclamer

Je terminerai comme un objet retrouvé

I've always seen atheists as people who have "looked" for god, then decided its a load of bollocks and stamped "don't believe" on their forehead. I dont think this gives them the right to try to challenge religious people on their beliefs, exactly the same way i dont think anyone should have the right to challenge someone on their political beliefs because in the end, you can't prove either way a "correct" answer.

I'm agnostic simply because i don't care enough about religion to look into it and become atheist, i'd rather look into things i can formulate a logical opinion about because religion is such a shady subject i'd never be able to make my mind up.

I think atheists are largely misunderstood in the broader community (especially in the U.S.). I personally see no need in defending myself as an atheist or being an apologist for atheism (because, of course, there's nothing to apologise for), so all you'll hear me doing is challenging misrepresentations.

The quote from the former president of the U.S. obviously wouldn't have helped things along in terms of atheists being an accepted group of U.S. society. I dislike him and his son. Him for condoning state sponsored theism and his son for condoning intelligent design. I could obviously word my dislike of them more strongly but that would just take this thread off the rails.

I think atheists are largely misunderstood in the broader community (especially in the U.S.). I personally see no need in defending myself as an atheist or being an apologist for atheism (because, of course, there's nothing to apologise for), so all you'll hear me doing is challenging misrepresentations.

The quote from the former president of the U.S. obviously wouldn't have helped things along in terms of atheists being an accepted group of U.S. society. I dislike him and his son. Him for condoning state sponsored theism and his son for condoning intelligent design. I could obviously word my dislike of them more strongly but that would just take this thread off the rails.

Yeah, I don't really see why atheists should have to justify themsevles, it's just a nice little video. :P

"Da mihi castitatem et continentam, sed noli modo"

To the original poster. I thought the way you worded that was kinda rude. If I was an atheist I would automatically be against you after reading that. You aren't going to get anywhere if you start a conversation by calling people hypocrites.

I'll answer this from my own belief: Have you ever seen anti-religious people crusading through country's and chopping off their heads if they don't agree to it?

I think you will find if you look at world events and history that there are many instances where this exact thing has happened.

For literal chopping of heads look to the French Revolution. To give you an idea of how extreme it got in 1793 a law was passed declaring all suspected priests and person's that harbored them to be executed.

You also had anti religious people killing people believed to be religious in the Spanish Civil War, Soviet Union, China, and probably most of the other Communist countries.

Ambassadar.png

Communist Russia.

Communist China.

Columbine attack.

Nero (actually this wasn't chopping of heads, this was burning at the stake... but you know).

And I haven't even thought about this yet.

What religion you practice, or what core beliefs you have, ultimately doesn't matter. It's all about attitude. Of what I've seen, athiests and christians often have the same kind of bad attitude, they're no better than eachother in my book.

2480+ total