Swimming or jogging?

Achilleus

I used to swim frequently, was best at brestroke, close to best at butterfly. Then I got ill, and found out I was allergic to chlorine. Any time I am in water for longer than ten minutes I get really bad eczema and tonsilitis.

I now do jogging a bit, I feel that swimming is better over time, jogging also helps get stamina up. I would do both as you said.

Your allergic to chlorine eh? Some pools now put salts in.I know that your thinking, zermg teh salts burn mah eyez. Dont worry, they dont. I thought it was pretty cool. Maybe you can get back into swimming?

Almost all the time I've been in a salt pool I've been really ill and I normally go in salt pools while I'm on holiday so it really sucks to be on holiday in good hotels and on safari.

Aw, now thats no good. I wish i could go on holiday. :(

If they wanted to pick the worst torture they could for hell, it would be continuous running. I hate it oh so much. but I'm still on the XC team, gotta stay in shape so i at least have a long shot at making the basketball team.

but anyway, just to lose weight I'd say running, probably more than 2 miles though that doesn't seem like much. When you start its really really hard. and then it gets easy, so you run more, which just makes it hard again. it always sucks but its good for you.

Look its rob!

im on my schools cross country team and i run like 5-7 miles 6 days a week and im gettin in such good shape its insane i love it
QFT! Cross country is the most fun I ever have running, and I'm rounding into excellent shape at a good time. If you swim hard, however, it is just as good for burning fat, I think. Make sure to keep a waterbottle nearby, just because it sucks to run out of energy in the middle of a workout.

x9whitey9x.jpg

The code in my sig should say 1032 not 0132.

I wish I could swim :(

You're afraid of water...why not swim in a pool filled with jello, or another water-like substance! (just kidding)

On topic: jogging for weight loss, but swimming for converting weight from fat->weight from muscle.

mrE.png

"We will certainly not be gaining money or members with this update. Instead, we are doing this for the good of the game, which is as dear to our hearts as it is to you."

- JAGEX, December 13, 2007

To lose weight, I'd say jogging, but like everyone else here has said, swimming works more muscles.

I wish I could swim :(

Everyone uses thongs while swimming, so what'd be the fun of it?

OT: Swimming builds muscles, and muscles are even heavier than fat, so, for losing weight, jogging would be better, in my opinion.

This signature is intentionally left blank.

I used to swim frequently, was best at brestroke, close to best at butterfly. Then I got ill, and found out I was allergic to chlorine. Any time I am in water for longer than ten minutes I get really bad eczema and tonsilitis.

I now do jogging a bit, I feel that swimming is better over time, jogging also helps get stamina up. I would do both as you said.

Your allergic to chlorine eh? Some pools now put salts in.I know that your thinking, zermg teh salts burn mah eyez. Dont worry, they dont. I thought it was pretty cool. Maybe you can get back into swimming?

Our pool has salt, but it's treated with chlorine as well, just in smaller amounts.

QFT! Cross country is the most fun I ever have running.

Then you've never fully competed o_O.

Then again, I have exercise induced asthma (tends to go away after a season of soccer training, but if I take even a month off it comes back), so my perspective of my experiences with cross country may be a little off >_>.

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

As for everyone saying that swimming works all the muscles, ya, I guess, but you're not exactly holding your weight up when you swim, in contrast with running :P .

It's not holding yourself up that helps, it's getting your heart pumping. Both jogging and swimming will do that but jogging will focus the workout on your legs and swimming will distribute the workout between your arms, chest, and legs. Swimming won't be as intense on your legs, but you'll still get a good workout.

Mmmm, swimming can be very intense. If you're just swimmings laps, then it won't be, but I can hook him up with some swimming programmes that will get him results. An example of a set we would do at training would be;

20x100 @ 1.30 (20x100 metres at a minute thirty) decending, so by the last one you're pretty much sprinting, my heart rate used to get up to about 190 sometimes. I remember this one dude puked 'cause he was going so hard, haha.

But even as a swimmer, we did do alot of running. 11 training sessions a week, six in the morning, and five in the afternoon, afternoon ones were broken up as an hour on land and an hour in the pool. Hour on land, sometimes we'd go for runs, or do push-ups pulls ups and work with medicine balls.

Man, I really need to get back into swimming, gotten a bit out of shape of late. All those pies and beer, haha.

ledzeppelin1jl6.jpg

Stop playing Runescape.

Quit that quite along time ago, Thankfully, Actually I have quit all computer games except Pro evo 4 which I play with mates who come round

Also I have a long school day so thats why I would find it hard to do both

I live with my aunty and she won't let me go jogging in the morning for some odd reason?

I have school from 9-3.30, I get the bus home, get back around 4, I have to work for 2 hours till 6 (I am in sixth form), Then I can go and do excerise.

I guess I could do both but my main question really was, whats the best one?

I'm guessing theres pros and cons for both

And thanks for the Workout scheme, I'll tell you guys how I'm getting along :)

P.S Only been 1 week and already can see signs of weightloss yay

But even as a swimmer, we did do alot of running. 11 training sessions a week, six in the morning, and five in the afternoon, afternoon ones were broken up as an hour on land and an hour in the pool. Hour on land, sometimes we'd go for runs, or do push-ups pulls ups and work with medicine balls.

Wow, thats insane, ya'll must have been in incredible shape.

I started running again last week. I am in terrible running shape because I have only been lifting weights the past few years. Two miles had me hurting lol. My girlfriend has been laughing at how bad I am since she is one of those little cute marathon runner types. I'm more the jumping/fast twitch kind of person so distance running kicks my rear.

Ambassadar.png

a little of both also stretch and do jumping jacks, pushups, curl ups, and watch your diet also try to get to sleep earlier it helps out if your going to be exercising alot

452436.jpg

In the time of peace prepare for war-General Patton

Dsk805 lvl 139 6* mage

Blink182lover lvl 100 7* mage

Founder and Current clan leader of: PunkRock Lovers(rank#4)

a little of both also stretch and do jumping jacks, pushups, curl ups, and watch your diet also try to get to sleep earlier it helps out if your going to be exercising alot

Started doing 60 situps a day

Also can do 15 press ups in the morning then again at afternoon, Might do it again as well at night..so thats 45 pressups

Yes I know that rubbish, I am fat so :-$ lol :P

Fartlek is great for getting fit and great way to burn fat. Its a highly recommended way in which you can burn fat through recovering while still exercising.

Read through it, I'd highly suggest it if you want to lose weight, and get fit during the process. :wink:

Sorry if its already been suggested.

Started doing 60 situps a day

Try doing less, but with weights. When I do situps I usually have a 25-pounder on my chest, so I can get more out of less sit-ups.

Though they don't work the exact same regions, I still find leg lifts to be much more effective though. I don't get tired with regular sit ups, with weights it takes a bit... but those leg lifts really push ya.

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

JOgging in my opinion.

I started about 2 years ago and I've gone from being able to jog 2 miles to being able to jog 12 miles

But on the other hand I'm a bad swimmer so I can't judge.

Also, you should ask your Aunty why you aren't allowed to swim or run in the morning. I unserstand if it's a bad neighbourhood, otherwise tell her to get over it, and you'll be fine. Because exercise is much more beneficial in the morning as it speeds up your metabolism for the rest of the day. Which = more food burnage.

ledzeppelin1jl6.jpg