The Future of Runescape

TheAncient

I don't know if anyone else has noticed this, but the number of people browsing forums and the number of people "currently playing" has been constant over the past few months...

1) I asked some younger kids about RS, and the general consensus for first time players is that "it has no point"... thus they quit/find better games to play.

2) With Jagex updating P2P with more and more complex, intricate updates, and not focusing on the framework of the game itself, RS is appealing to a slimmer and slimmer audience (level 90-126 P2P)

3) RS's major selling point used to be its relatively addictive free to play. But in comparison to other games, F2P has become simplistic and uninteresting.

Do you think these are a sign of RS's decline?

sigcopyaf.png

Ever wanted to find street prices of RS items? Check out the SPOLI Index

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

RuneScape is kind of in a paradox with it's players.

The players always want the opposite of what they are doing is the problem, and they rely on players to spread the word. I have never seen a RuneScape advertisement or commercial, and I doubt I ever will.

I'm not sure about the future, all I see is Jagex hopefully finding a way to rid of bots (hardly possible), and the immature kids maturing. Or that is what I am hoping to see, but once the immature players mature, there will be new immature players.

The good thing is: we will always have Tip.it.

Seriously, if it wasn't for the community here I'd most probably ahve quite by now. :|

This signature is intentionally left blank.

It will come to an end but right now we have over 500,000 Loyal memebers who will play 1+ years more. But with the updates it MIGHT draw some f2p in. But o well it's been fun :)

Click for My Blog

Runescapew44.png

b3e1cfada6.png

670th to 99 Smithing July 21st, 07 |743rd to 99 Mining November 29th, 07 | 649th to 99 Runecrafting May 18th, 08 | 29,050th to 99 Defence October 20th, 08 | 20,700th to 99 Magic November 8, 08 | 47,938th to 99 Attack December 19, 08 | 37,829th to 99 Hitpoints December 24, 08 | 68,604th to 99 Strength February 4, 09 | 27,983rd to 99 Range February 9, 09 | 9,725th to 99 Prayer June 8, 09 | 6,620th to 99 Slayer December, 12 09 | 4,075th to 99 Summoning December, 28 09 | 3,551th to 99 Herblore February 24, 10 | 3,192th to 99 Dungeoneering November 11, 10 | 146,600th to 99 Cooking December 29th, 10 | 11,333rd to 99 Construction June 7th, 11 | 16,648th to 99 Farming August 1st, 11 | 19,993th to 99 Crafting August 2nd, 11 | 89,739th to 99 Woodcutting Janurary 1st, 12 | 55,424th to 99 Fishing May 9th, 12| 60,648th to 99 Firemaking May 12th, 12 | 16666th to 99 Agility May 17th, 2012 | 24476th to 99 Hunter June 1st, 2012 | 57,881st to 99 Fletching June 1st, 2012 | All 99s June 1st, 2012 | 3183th to 120 Dungeoneering July 24th, 2012 | 2341st to 2496 Total level July 24th, 2012 | Completionist Cape July 24th, 2012

Well, being a F2P player I can't really look forward to the updates (at least not most of them), but what keeps me playing is having fun with skills. I've "quit" several times like some of us here but some how I always come back to it after a long break.

I think JAGeX realizes this to some degree and will keep RuneScape up for a while. All things come to an end, true, but RuneScape's end isn't going to be tomorrow or the day after.

Nul_Oblivion.png

Retired Member

I dont see runescape growing any more. Maybe p2p might get bigger, but f2p will decline. People can find other free games that are better than f2p runescape, thus less people will try runescape and get into it. I know that if runescape didn't have an appealing f2p when I joined, I never would have gotten members. My parents would never have paid for a game like that right off the bat back then.

You say that the amount of people is steady. Well, for me that is enough reason to assume that RS is not seeing an end yet. Because that are still a LOT of players that are playing.

It's true, it's not the exponential growth like we have seen before. So what?

Jagex makes enough money to not quit with updating.

ltjemightyro9.png

Retired.

You say that the amount of people is steady. Well, for me that is enough reason to assume that RS is not seeing an end yet. Because that are still a LOT of players that are playing.

It's true, it's not the exponential growth like we have seen before. So what?

Jagex makes enough money to not quit with updating.

jagex are a business after all but who wouldnt be happy with the size of the game we have.i cant see it stopping anytime soon

tifsdac6mc.gif

The way I look at it, RuneScape is either at its zenith or at its second Renaissance. The zenith comes in when you are right - there hasn't been much more than 230K players on at one given time (compare this to a bit of a year ago when 200K was something unprecedented, or two years ago, when 100K was a milestone).

Its growth is only stimulated by the opinions that everyone seems to have plenty of (read: Rants forum), and until key issues such as macroing and real-world trades are resolved, we might see a serious dip in activity come 2008. It might not hurt to shut the boards down once in a while when a group of people disagree adamantly with an update, and feel the need to spam it all across the world (SS, Pest Control, et al).

The second Renaissance comes because members sit in a very good spot - levels are becoming worthwhile to get, challenging quests and minigames are coming out, high level updates are coming out (well, towards the end of this year anyway), and there is some incentive to keep playing the game.

Of course, every now and then, a change of atmosphere is in order...

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

Or, this is all untrue, and your just over-doing it a bit.

Asking some little kids isn't really a great way to predict the future of runescape, especailly when RuneScape is dumb to 6 people, and an absolutely awesome game to 1 person, 6-1.

RuneScape still offers you a lot more things then other online games do, you can be F2P for however long you want, more quests then some of the other games, two years of playing in F2P and you still won't be done with it. ::'

Rs still has a lot of kick in it.

Very interesting things there sseli. :-k

Yes, Jagex does need too update the actual framework of Runescape, not just it's content. As for me, I'm not sure if I would stay or leave runescape with other people starting to leave. :?

No longer playing Runescape, I caught the WoW bug.

RS istn getiin any new members thats why Rs will die in a year maybe sooner.

Because the players who play it still play it bu twill quit soon or later. and it isnt gettin any new members runescape willd ie and in the end like died out with maybe some players but just a few.

For now it still runs good. but i personly rhink the f2p world can get some new updates to make things intresting for new players and still playin f2p players.

[PS] ye thanks to tip.it runescape runs even more now !

"Why should i fear Death!?""I know the guy !"

Love gives you courage, being loved gives you strength

hasero.png

5million peps total

1 million members

4million f2p..

it might be steady for you

but do you monitor the online players 24/7

and the online player counter in the main page isnt upd8ted every seceond :P

Me and the wise old man go way back.... he was a foolish boy back then.

My crystal armour idea.

ITs not near the end...not yet

if they get desperate they could always hint of a RS3 to keep people playing :-w

If Jagex do plan on RS3, it will probably revive Runescape. But even that will only last for 4-6 years.

No longer playing Runescape, I caught the WoW bug.

if they get desperate they could always hint of a RS3 to keep people playing :-w

If Jagex do plan on RS3, it will probably revive Runescape. But even that will only last for 4-6 years.

Depends what software they upgrade to. If they keep changing their game engine every 6 years, and the graphics get better, people will play, there are dozens of thousands of people who play only for graphics. :-#

Depends what software they upgrade to. If they keep changing their game engine every 6 years, and the graphics get better, people will play, there are dozens of thousands of people who play only for graphics. :-#

You make a good point, I tried WoW for a while but returned to Runescape very quick. Why? Runescape has a few things other MMORPGs will never have:

- A Economy on its own, Runescape has a good economy; fansites keep complete databases of this prices.

- Good forums, the forums of Runescape are one of the best of their size. With many forums like Stories and Roleplaying I doubt Runescape will die soon.

- Good community. Even though you hear people complaining about autoers, noobs etc, Runescape has one of the best communities around.

whatcolor_iswhite.jpg

I'm kind of sick of these "Z0MG THE RUNESCAPE WRLD IS G0NNA END!!!!" threads. Unless 3 big meteors hit the Jagex offices, destroy all the servers and the suggestions cabinet, they will not run out of ideas any time soon. There are more and more people playing, and fine while some are immature, everyone makes it seem that RuneScape only has immature players playing, which is totally ridiculous. They will just expand on current skills, add new ones, improve the graphics, new quests, new races, new mini games, new monsters and you get the point. Fine, it will eventually end, just like everything does, but when it does, it does, and that's that.

Retired Tip.It Crew Mapper.