Tip.it Times Presents: Realistic Games? No thanks.

MPM

Cool article, you are right, i once reccomended Runescape to one of my friends and at the moment he entered tutorial island he told me "What happened to the graphics?", I cant force him to play Runescape but, shouldn`t he see if its fun before prejudging?

Juansuper10

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with the article.. in part. It confuses two issues.

First is the matter of graphic realism, and here he hits it on the head. No, it doesn't matter to me what the little men and dragons look like, not at all. My first online game was a text-based adventure MUD -- no graphics at all. It was a lot of fun.

People who think graphics matter most are the same ones who have to wait for a book to come out as a movie because they lack imagination.

The second issue, though, is GAME realism, and here I feel RuneScape is very often lacking. There are too often no consequences for one's actions, like the example given of hacking a man to death in front of a guard. There ARE games where alignment is tracked and if you do evil things then pretty soon you are treated as the evil person you are. There's a glimmer of that in RS -- if you attack townsfolk in Miscellania you lose 'favor', for example -- but not enough.

~q

Qeltar, aka Charles Kozierok

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

I like the artice, and although it is well written, I have to disagree with it.

You cant seriously tell me you wouldn't rather play

[hide=This game]halo3new07032.JPG

halo3703.JPG[/hide]

over

[hide=This game]DeviousMUD.gif

DeviousMUD2.PNG[/hide]

Crysis > Halo

There was an article in Popular Science about this, it was talking about how when the graphics get "too" realistic, to the point where they are almost human, people tend to look for minor imperfections and mistakes, or something like that.

I've never seen (or heard of) Crysis. And it makes sense that they would do that. I mean, in runescape you're not going to say "That grass is too grainy!" when the grass is just a huge patch of green.

You never heard of Crysis? It's coming out to PC soon and even the biggest fans of other FPS games admit Crysis is far superior graphically. I can't really even explain how awesome the graphics are, and screenshots don't do the game justice, you need to see a full motion HD video. Anyway, let me put it this way.

-The game is sponsored by nVida (since you need about $2000 of their graphics cards to play the game)

-The game is sponsored by Windows (since it is the first real game to use Direct X 10, which means XP users have to buy Vista to play it)

-Essentially no PC in the world today can play the game at max quality. The makers predict that it will take two to three years until a store bought PC can play the game in it's highest quality.

Oh, and good article, never thought about Runescape like that before. :)

crysis.jpg

That is an actual screen shot of the game! Crap thats good graphics! Actually, thats not good, thats insane.

This was a good read. I agree with it. I personally don't care about graphics. For example, I play Kingdom of Loathing. That game has no graphics whatsoever, just a bunch of stick figures and some strangely drawn monsters. Yet this draws people to the game. Why? Because of a good gameplay. The game needs to have a good gameplay value. If a game has the best graphics in the world, but has a horrible of playing, people probably won't play it.

[hide=long quote]

halo3703.JPG[/hide]

over

DeviousMUD2.PNG[/hide]

Crysis > Halo

There was an article in Popular Science about this, it was talking about how when the graphics get "too" realistic, to the point where they are almost human, people tend to look for minor imperfections and mistakes, or something like that.

I've never seen (or heard of) Crysis. And it makes sense that they would do that. I mean, in runescape you're not going to say "That grass is too grainy!" when the grass is just a huge patch of green.

You never heard of Crysis? It's coming out to PC soon and even the biggest fans of other FPS games admit Crysis is far superior graphically. I can't really even explain how awesome the graphics are, and screenshots don't do the game justice, you need to see a full motion HD video. Anyway, let me put it this way.

-The game is sponsored by nVida (since you need about $2000 of their graphics cards to play the game)

-The game is sponsored by Windows (since it is the first real game to use Direct X 10, which means XP users have to buy Vista to play it)

-Essentially no PC in the world today can play the game at max quality. The makers predict that it will take two to three years until a store bought PC can play the game in it's highest quality.

[/hide]

crysis.jpg

That is an actual screen shot of the game! Crap thats good graphics! Actually, thats not good, thats insane.

Woow! Is that a game! Looks amazing!

OT: Lovely read, I even agree with it.

EDIT: Found another amazing pic, it's kinda large though:

[hide=click for pic!]Crysis.jpg[/hide]

When everything's been said and done, more has been said than done.

All skills 80+

angel2w.gif

People definitely play RS for it's player interaction. Would you keep playing to get 99 RC with no one to show off to?

I've come to realise I keep play RS to show off my skills/items, even though I find the feeling somewhat passive while playing. If RS was a single player game, I would be playing games like Diablo 2 since that game has a more visceral gaming experience than RS's showing-off experience.

No longer playing Runescape, I caught the WoW bug.

Graphics have to be taken into context of the game. High quality graphics would add nothing to RS, other than creating problems for servers and people's computers.

Just imagine RS with graphics from Second Life ... that would look stupid!

And Tetris is a (potentially) never-ending yet changing jigsaw puzzle. It has much the same point as clicking on a tree lots of times ... to suck away time.

WARNING: Prone to ramble ... but you probably already know that!

truffoo.png

1% F2P : 99% RL

If the article is about "wasting updates" on graphical changes, I disagree. I love the art that the new graphics team is taking, plus they are a separate entity from other teams working on quests, skills, and the like. The new updates are giving various areas of the world their own flavors.

Untitled.png

My heart is broken by the terrible loss I have sustained in my old friends and companions and my poor soldiers. Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won. -Sir Arthur Wellesley

[hide=long quote]

halo3703.JPG[/hide]

over

DeviousMUD2.PNG[/hide]

Crysis > Halo

[/hide]

crysis.jpg

Yeah, the beta is awesome, but I have to play in (incredibly)low detail on my laptop, because I still need 500 dollars more for my new pc...

Mario part was pretty funny :lol:

I have to agree that sometimes I play games just because they're so outrageous. I'm a Nintendo fan and that article made me realize that almost none of their games are realistic at all :XD:

Guitar_by_Lemeja123.jpg

When talking to anyone who doesn't play runescape but has seen it once, the first thing they come up is this: "Do you play that game haha? The graphics are like nothing, you can count the actuall pixels!"

I mean yes, graphics are a reason to play a game, and sometimes I wished rs had a better engine for better graphics, but would that change the way I enjoy it? It might make more things possible, offering a wider variation of quests, miniquests and something like the GWD released recently.

But the reason I play rs is just for the fun (even though that's getting less now with the community getting less mature). Back when I started to play rs, about 4 years ago rs had something special already, no one cared about the graphics as back then most games weren't very high detailed as they are today. Back then most people wouldn't comment on the graphics of rs, but the game world changed, both in graphics and storylines, concerning graphics RS has been at a standstill forever, off course there were some improvements but it's getting nowhere close of what the 7gen consoles have to offer, what else can you expect from a browser based game?

What people - who don't play rs - should bear in mind is that you shouldn't play a game because the graphics are really great and a nice storyline. A game having only a nice storyline and/or offers many ways to play the game (lots of skills to train, various minigames etc. in this case) can give just as much please, or even more than a game that has a weak storyline but ok graphics.

It probably has to do with what some of us are used to play, but even when I'm playing games such as halo or medal of honor, I always reckon I enjoy it much more when I get behind my computer again and log onto runescape.

Says it all :D

Decent article although I don't agree with some parts of it. I do, however, agree that graphics aren't the only reason to play a game, there's the gameplay, feel of the game and other factors to consider too. But to me graphics can make a game what it is although not in all circumstances. For instance the Halo game series is renouned for having quality graphics but still being a thrilling and fun game to play because of the multiplayer options etc. The Runescape graphics aren't terrible, they're still decent and provide some good gameplay. I doubt I would even have given RS a chance if I first started playing RSC.

Initially when you start up a game you look at how good the graphics are to get an idea of how good you think the game will be. If they don't look that great then your less likely to give the game another chance. Good graphics attract players and good gameplay (among other things) keep them attracted.

Very nice read

P.S Tetris has no point :lol: :roll: :thumbsup:

Click for My Blog

Runescapew44.png

b3e1cfada6.png

670th to 99 Smithing July 21st, 07 |743rd to 99 Mining November 29th, 07 | 649th to 99 Runecrafting May 18th, 08 | 29,050th to 99 Defence October 20th, 08 | 20,700th to 99 Magic November 8, 08 | 47,938th to 99 Attack December 19, 08 | 37,829th to 99 Hitpoints December 24, 08 | 68,604th to 99 Strength February 4, 09 | 27,983rd to 99 Range February 9, 09 | 9,725th to 99 Prayer June 8, 09 | 6,620th to 99 Slayer December, 12 09 | 4,075th to 99 Summoning December, 28 09 | 3,551th to 99 Herblore February 24, 10 | 3,192th to 99 Dungeoneering November 11, 10 | 146,600th to 99 Cooking December 29th, 10 | 11,333rd to 99 Construction June 7th, 11 | 16,648th to 99 Farming August 1st, 11 | 19,993th to 99 Crafting August 2nd, 11 | 89,739th to 99 Woodcutting Janurary 1st, 12 | 55,424th to 99 Fishing May 9th, 12| 60,648th to 99 Firemaking May 12th, 12 | 16666th to 99 Agility May 17th, 2012 | 24476th to 99 Hunter June 1st, 2012 | 57,881st to 99 Fletching June 1st, 2012 | All 99s June 1st, 2012 | 3183th to 120 Dungeoneering July 24th, 2012 | 2341st to 2496 Total level July 24th, 2012 | Completionist Cape July 24th, 2012

I agree with the article.. in part. It confuses two issues.

First is the matter of graphic realism, and here he hits it on the head. No, it doesn't matter to me what the little men and dragons look like, not at all. My first online game was a text-based adventure MUD -- no graphics at all. It was a lot of fun.

People who think graphics matter most are the same ones who have to wait for a book to come out as a movie because they lack imagination.

The second issue, though, is GAME realism, and here I feel RuneScape is very often lacking. There are too often no consequences for one's actions, like the example given of hacking a man to death in front of a guard. There ARE games where alignment is tracked and if you do evil things then pretty soon you are treated as the evil person you are. There's a glimmer of that in RS -- if you attack townsfolk in Miscellania you lose 'favor', for example -- but not enough.

~q

While I did appreciate the article, and that it's likely to provoke a lot of thoughtful debate (I actually will spend time reading all of this thread), I do agree that 'tracking' alignment, though with the ability to make amends (therefore change alignment) would make fore more realism.

'Realistic' game-play especially in terms of graphics, given RuneScape hasn't at least in recent times been the most compelling, is not the reason I suspect most would cite why they play RuneScape.

This is why issues of game-play are very important. No matter what you're views on game-play, it's certainly something players should give feedback to Jagex about since that's a major reason for many to choose RuneScape over the competition.

I'd love to get more feedback in-game on the alignment of my character, since I personally feel it such game features add important an dimension to what is meant to be an RPG.

Regards,

Fey.

feywarriorgreenlu9.gif

banneruh3.jpg

[hide=long quote]

halo3703.JPG[/hide]

over

DeviousMUD2.PNG[/hide]

Crysis > Halo

[/hide]

crysis.jpg

Yeah, the beta is awesome, but I have to play in (incredibly)low detail on my laptop, because I still need 500 dollars more for my new pc...

Look at the detail on this guy:

[hide=Big image]crysis-render-black-guy.jpg[/hide]

INSANE.

It's like I told a co-worker, who is looking forward to the Halo 3 release.

"My money is on that I could Pwn that game's arse in a day. I defy you to try and 'Pwn' PacMan on the Atari 2600 your first try."

Games used to be about having a fun time, and getting a challenge. Storyline came second to those. Though a close second. Graphics didn't matter so much. Now It's all this "OMG check out the graphexxxxx."

I still play my Atari, my Colecovision, and my NES. And I love it.

SNES was teh bomb too.

Eveyone prefers a different style of game!

Oh yeah, the point in tetris is to see how long you can go without getting a blue thumb!

(Did you know that the guy that made Tetris didn't get a penny. He lived in Russia and they had rubbish copyright laws, so someone just took the idea and made millions)