Tip.it Times Presents: Realistic Games? No thanks.

MPM

Strangely enough, Runescape is the only un-realistic game I play. Everything else must be full on real as it can get... thats why I have a wheel and pedals for my PS2 and A pro joystick for my flight sim.

Salamoniesunsetsig5.png

8,325th to 99 Firemaking 3/9/08 | 44,811th to 99 Cooking 7/16/08

4,968th to 99 Farming 10/9/09 | Runescaper August 2005-March 2010

Tip.it Mod Feb. 2008-Sep. 2008 | Tip.it Crew Sep. 2008-Nov. 2009

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good and thought-provoking article. Thankee.

I cannot even estimate the hours I have spent playing NetHack, Angband, and Omega. All ASCII based graphics, ugly as sin, but totally engrossing.

And someone would call RuneScape un-realistic? Dearie dearie me.

How can you have any disagreement with such an affordable game? And Jagex acually care to maintain and update this game. Wonderful.

I like the artice, and although it is well written, I have to disagree with it.

You cant seriously tell me you wouldn't rather play

[hide=This game]halo3new07032.JPG

halo3703.JPG[/hide]

over

[hide=This game]DeviousMUD.gif

DeviousMUD2.PNG[/hide]

well nobody said devious mud has great game play, because nobody has played it #-o

halo sucks by the way :|

First, not to be rude or anything but this article is horribile here are some reasons why:

1) Games like Halo are very well selling (look at the lines or in the newspaper about sales)

2)Halo is very well graphics, a plausibile storyline

3) (I hope these pictures work, have not acquired the hang of it)

Which would you rather play?

[hide=This game Crysis]crysis.jpg[/hide]

OR

aero-blasters-3.png[/hide]

Loi86.png

halo3703.JPG[/hide]

over

DeviousMUD2.PNG[/hide]

well nobody said devious mud has great game play, because nobody has played it #-o

If halo sucks how come your name is malo2?

Loi86.png

First, not to be rude or anything but this article is horribile here are some reasons why:

1) Games like Halo are very well selling (look at the lines or in the newspaper about sales)

2)Halo is very well graphics, a plausibile storyline

3) (I hope these pictures work, have not acquired the hang of it)

Which would you rather play?

Depends which one I find more fun. No duh, if I find going around and shooting aliens for hours boring in Halo but like doing quest in the old Mario games, I'd prefer the mario games even if the graphics looked horrible

unorclanpixelsigzu1.png

Thanks to the amazing talent of Jopie211 for the sig!

Finest Fist of Guthix Strategy Guide

nice read tetris has no point lol

~Loot

tatris does have a point it is...ummmm well :-k it is that you have to well ummm move blocks or do stuff like move blocks you can also move blocks and if you want to you can move blocks see it does have a point ha now give me a pie go pie YAY :XD:

halo3703.JPG[/hide]

over

DeviousMUD2.PNG[/hide]

<*slaps malo2, rather hard*> :x

Dude, we are all playing the 3rd incarnation of "Devious MUD". <.< It is called "RuneScape", but it is still based off that, and in essence is that! :| Please, before you say stuff like that, think! =;

~Mr. D. V. Devnull

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

I felt it was a very one sided argument.

Games can be so much more than just 'fun', they can be immersive and inspiring. Just like not all movies are great for getting you excited, many games are loved for their stories, and their ability to pull you in.

Graphics can do this, and can also enable a lot more different styles of gameplay, look at games like portal. The next gen isn't just about graphics, it's about physics and raw power, look at games like Ninja Gaiden two or Mass Effect, when you 'cleave' somebody in half in NG2 that'll really get your adrenaline pumping, which will make the game that much more exciting and enjoyable, and when you land on a new planet in ME and you have unique plants and trees that give that planet it's own identity or when you dock in a space station and see all kinds of life forms walk it corridors all completely believable, I for one now I'll be estatic I can explore those planets, space stations and whatever else I may find whilst exploring Biowares masterpiece.

Edit: Oh and that's a pretty poor shot of Crysis, it looks like they turned off the AA :-s

[hide=A different Crysis Screenshot]crysis068.jpg[/hide]

[hide]

halo3703.JPG[/hide]

over

DeviousMUD2.PNG[/hide]

[/hide]

If halo sucks how come your name is malo2?

I don't think his name has anything to do with halo. Malo created his runescape account many months before the first halo was released.

• 3 weeks later...
The real reason of Tetris is to play it on your cell phone under your desk in French Class, duh.

I second that

Sure gameplay is important, But u cant say u haven't ever wished u'd see ur rs charachter pull out a sword, do an awsome 360 flip, then slash some ugly demons head off

To be honest, I think that you should still be able to tell that it's a game. I mean like sure, you've got a controller, or a joystick in your hand, but if I see footage, I don't want to have to stop and think "Is that a game, or real life?" I really am not bothered about graphics, gameplay is what it's all about.

Imagine, a game world 6x the size of any other, on the Xbox 360/PS3/Wii. But, it's got graphics little better than the PS2/Xbox/Gamecube. Half the gaming community would regard it as the best game ever. The other half would complain about the bad graphics and boycott it completely. People are stupid. :)

~A227

1.png

2.PNG3.PNG4.PNG

|My poem!|New RS suggestions|CAD (13+)|Reserved|

Grrr, my sig doesn't work as well as it should.

• 1 month later...

So get this, my computer's been broken for months and I haven't been able to get online til recently, so I was reading all the articles I missed when I found one terribly insulting error that, God willing, someone has already pointed out.

THE LEAF DOES NOT GIVE YOU A CAPE!!! IT MAKES YOU SPROUT A RACCOON TAIL AND FLY!! :wall:

Some people these days, I swear. :shame:

Black coffee is my ally, green tea is my friend. Excuse me, I need to use the bathroom.

Don't call random people noobs. You've got nothing to gain and teeth to lose.

Insanity runs in my family. We get it from our parents, but it's not hereditary...

You can't spell slaughter without laughter.

You who stand against the darkness... get the **** out of my way!

Nowadays games almost seem to easy or boring. But if you think of games like Mario Brothers (the arcade version) those are great games that are hard. Evryone waited for halo 3 and i got people in my class saying they beat it the next day! The point of a games is to satisfy your phsycological (did i spell that right) needs. And by playing a game that is fun to you is important. Evryone is harping on me because i play runescape and they playe world of Warcraft. I like Runescape right now. Ya sure grphics are crappy but thats a game that I like. Tetris is a game people played back in the day. Those were the games they had back then. SO to sit back and say those games are crap is just saying you don't aprecitate how far we have come in our gaming technology. But therefore I will continue to play Runescape based on the expierences i have in the game.

Nintendo303 - A Gamers Community (Currently Being rebuilt)

Dudes..I own and so does Miley Cyrus

Tbh, I enjoy the graphic updates only because it is a change of scenery. I really don't care how nice they look, but rather a change from the bland, boring looks. Other than that, I feel graphic updates are useless ::'

However, in some games, such as Halo, graphics are important. When sniping, it is essential to see a clear image and precision in order to shoot them in just the right way so you can obtain another kill.

Other than those occasions, I completely agree with your article.