Tip.it Times Presents: Realistic Games? No thanks.

MPM

Personally, I have always preferred Runescape over these new graphic-heavy games.

I own all the latest consoles, and a fairly high-spec pc, and yet I still prefer to play Runescape in my free-time.

My computer is used pretty much for Runescape, work and surfing the internet, despite a stack of pc games on the shelf. And as for my consoles, two of them are literally gathering dust, with the most played being the Nintendo Wii, not because of graphics, but because I enjoy the games themselves.

I played Runescape more-or-less as soon as it was out, and have been playing it ever since. I took a brief break earlier in the year, and never found a game to match it in terms of game play.

I like the freedom of choice given, and the ability to do what you like, when you like, the players and the competitiveness, as well as the constant availability of new features.

Most people laugh when they look at the game's installed on my computer.

I have no game's with decent graphics, I merely have snes, sega genesis and gameboy emulators and roms of all the games I own, plus Lord of the Realms 2 and transport Tycoon (Now that's rubbish graphics ;))

When these games were made, developers couldn't wow people with the graphics, they has to wow them with the gameplay, and it worked.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also think people should play the game they like the most and stop trying to bash other for playing other game because the graphic or gameplay is less appealing to them.

For some reason the people who play WoW are too immature to respect other people game choice.

Stephleref.png

I personally enjoy my xbox 360 alot more now with titles such as bioshock, halo3 and gears of war. But the thing that keeps my coming back to runescape is deffinately the sense of achievment and the peer to peer system.

x_runes.png

99 Runecraft - 99 Fletching - 99 All Melee's 1800+ Total

I realise this was meant to be more comical, but still...

Runescape isnÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢t alone in this theme of utter ridiculousness. Look at games like Pokemon, how is it that the wild Pokemon havenÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢t formed together and declared war on the humans?

That's actually explained in the storyline to Diamond and Pearl.

What exactly is the premise for Super Smash Brothers Melee, I love the game to death but did they even try to put a story in it?

It's basically meant to be representative of a boy's wild imagination when playing with toy soldiers. In the opening the SSBM, there's clearly a real hand that grabs hold of the Mario toy, after which it comes to life and starts 'fighting' other toys.

Okay seriously now guysÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ãâæ what exactly is the point of Tetris?

No Tetris = no gaming industry. Tetris was the first ever game to actually consider contruction over demolition, everything before that had been a wild shoot-em-up and blow-everything-in-sight kinda game. This really helped attract a whole new kind of gamer to the market, and indeed launched Nintendo and the portable games console into the gaming world.

I agree with the whole thing about RuneScape though. Hence why I'd never call it an RPG as opposed to an adventure game. :|

P.S.: Give me your Super Smash Bros. Brawl friend code! You don't have to tell me your name but I just want the satisfaction of fighting the infamous Editor. :P

tetris has no point at all. just wanna clear that up.

and, as the proud owner of a wii, i agree that gameplay > graphics. i mean, i still play my n64 - not because the graphics are good (obviously, they're horrible by today's standards) but because the games (super smash bros, zelda: ocarina of time etc) are TONS OF FUN.

and although this really has nothing to do with the article, i'd like to take this chance to say this:

wii>360>ps3

and

ds lite>psp s&l

just sayin'.

has anyone considered the possibility that lauren1211 is homosexual? anyone, anyone at all?

i dissagree, ZELDA owned all of them, and they all had a good storyline, mario was a great sidescroller game, and i think that tetris, well thats the first game i ever owned for gameboy!

I mean Yes i play runescape for FUN, like i do any other game, but runescape is a MMORPG something that mario-zelda isnt, they fall under diff categories. I like runescape 2 because u can feel a little better when ur rank does go up a bit.

But in the end a game is just a game :)

-mega-

Yup games are not realistic, in fact part of their appeal (or at least some of them) is a complete escape from reality, even though some parts of them seem like they would fit in the real world.

In GTA, you can shot be several times and not die (if you died after one shot the game would be too hard and not very fun), you can find chain saws and other weapons just lying around in the streets oh and if you kill enough people the army gets sent in and you can steal one of their tanks (sometimes).

But GTA satirizes modern life in many of it's elements. Look at the car ads, they satirize somewhat common opinions, politcal positions, and the cultural obsession with sex (that last one it satirizes quite often, and there is sexual innuendo everywhere). I remember a radio ad that satirized anti-smoking campaigns (this is paraphrased, from my memory)

Sometimes when you're on the street you hear this:

"Man I think I'll have a smoke"

"Hey man put that out there are kids here"

But the converstaion should go like this

"Man I think I'll have a smoke"

"You murderer I might have kids one day" (gunshot)

It then proceeded to suggest that they wipe out smoking permanently, I don't remember the exact words though, I couldn't stop laughing.

Anyway one of my favorite games is hitman: blood money, it is advertised as being more realistic then its predecessors and it some ways it is but there are still some unrealistic things about it. In fact I remember a thread '1000 things I've learned from hitman' where we would bring up all the unrealistic things and plot holes about the game in a humorous way. It was hillarious and it passed 1000 (with some repeats). Now I don't care that it is unrealistic, in fact I hope they don't address all the problems and make the next hitman game too realistic beacuse then it would be too hard and not as fun.

Hitman also satirizes modern life in its newspaper articles.

fathertime89.png

Smithing-48 strength-66 Ranged-47 Magic-55

Humor is reason gone mad- Groucho Marx

I am a nobody and nobody is perfect, therefore I am perfect.

wii>360>ps3

and

ds lite>psp s&l

just sayin'.

Why the hell did you have to bring this up? Why? It's all a matter of opinion and fanboyism nothing more.

fathertime89.png

Smithing-48 strength-66 Ranged-47 Magic-55

Humor is reason gone mad- Groucho Marx

I am a nobody and nobody is perfect, therefore I am perfect.

I think I found a typo, just letting you know so the editor can go fix it.

The cook watches in shock as the women then picks up the ManÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s wallet and corpse (bones) and then walks right past a nearby Guard and into a store where the storeowner greets him with a smile.

The storeowner should greet her, not him.

I would like to know how you can bitten hundreds of times in Dead Rising and never become a zombie....

No witty signatures for me :(

Lol, another Runescape hugger article.

Gaming shouldnÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢t always be about having better graphics or even better gameplay. Why do we all still play Runescape? It doesnÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢t have motion sensing and it certainly doesnÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢t have high definition graphics, but does that matter at all? What brings you more joy in Runescape: Working hard with friends and having a good time, or checking out the updated graphics in Varrok?

2480+ total

I like the article.

I'm a mom and what I look for in a game (or toy when my child was young) is "play value" - how many times will my child return to play with this again? I got disgusted with games that were "beaten" in a day and were worthless afterward - selling them second-hand returned less than 1/3rd what I paid.

Games like Zelda and Mario got played over and over again, even after the RPG storyline was "beaten", just for the heck of it and the fun of it.

What does Tetris offer? Tetris is hypnotic and somehow draws one in, not unlike plain old Solitaire that comes with windows. I bought myself a Game Boy and the first game I got addicted to was Tetris. :o It appeals to a different side of the brain, with a different motive: bringing order out of chaos, feeling like one has control. Probably brings on a whole different brainwave pattern, a soothing one. (I checked wikipedia and someone actually did a medical study about brain function playing Tetris, lol!)

gallery_28257_123_2330.jpggallery_28257_123_196.gif

it's a lot easier to get over yourself when you look at intelligence the same way you look at beauty, or height, or eye color: being smart is easy, but being good is hard ... being smart is handed to you, being good is handed to *nobody*.

Just so you know, this article sounded very opinionated. But thats just my opinion :P .

Fry guy, if you eat Nathen, I'm not gonna like you anymore!

Sorry, just saw the avatar, and had to say that.

Back on topic, this game really makes me question why I play Halo(halo 3 tommorow!!!) and Call of Duty, because when I think about it, I have more fun playing simple games. Now also, the great thing about Halo, is that it's almost like you're playing a Sci-Fi movie in the campaign, and you get to have fun in the multiplayer with friends, even though you can be with friends in Runescape. Call of Duty(1 and 2, didn't like 3), you are playing in a World War 2 comedy, and you sorta see what World War veterans went through....loosely. But you can also learn history from it, I actually went through the Cod 2 Single Player instead of studying for a test, and I got an A \' .

In simple games, like Runescape, we learn to not give up on goals, and that it's more fun to do stuff with friends, than be a loner. Because when we skill in Runescape, we get bored, but if there's a friend, it is really fun.

And in even simpler games, such as Tetris, we can play for hours, for some unknown reason....And even Zookeeper, a puzzle game for the Nintendo DS, which is basically Bejeweled with zoo animals. Lions look like blocks, so do alligators. Bunny's look like pink carebears, and monkeys are boxey heads with 2 rectangles. Yet, I have played the game for hours at a time, many times. And once again, I have no idea why.

And in conclusion, we see that simple games can be addictive, and it may seem simple, but if you can make a game such as Tetris, or Zookeeper, and keep people playing for hours, you have made a VERY complicated game. If the game were simple, you would play for a minute or 2 and get bored. Complicated games, or realistic games, are also appealing, as they can teach us things, such as how veterans fought in wars, and we can feel like were involved in a movie. So both types of games have their pros and cons, and the game that I play usually depends on what mood I am in.

Felt like I was writing an essay there, lol.

Mizzou is ballin'!

Illini are fallin'!

Kansas is dead.

thumb_mizzou-logo.jpg

"how is it that the wild Pokemon havenÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢t formed together and declared war on the humans?"

I can see it now, an army of Pokemon demanding equal rights and and end to the tyranny of the pokeball! :P

got to agree with what was said, I play games to escape the real world not to get dragged into a whole new level of authenticity

. I mean who wants to play Halo and suddenly have to have Master Chief stop for food and a loo break?

jagexvote.png :thumbsup:

[url=http://www.computerandvideogames.com/joystick/vote.php][img=http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q265/mr_moocky/jagexvote.png][/url]

"Suddenly a women in full armor runs up to him and cleaves him in half with a massive sword. The cook watches in shock as the women then picks up the ManÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s wallet and corpse (bones) and then walks right past a nearby Guard and into a store where the storeowner greets him with a smile."

Noticed a mistake.

Probably not the best article. Sorry Tip.It.

Foogey.png

I <3 Gears of War 2.

Add me on Xbox Live and mention you are from Tif :D

I like the artice, and although it is well written, I have to disagree with it.

Well-written? Which article were you reading? There were numerous typos, grammatical errors, etc, etc, etc. Seriously, does anybody proofread this crap?

Just to clarify some points already raised:

Woman = singular

Women = plural

Him = masculine pronoun

No chesire i think we can safely say no-one really gives a damn about comma's and correct grammar here or even thinks about proofreading and critising other's for the most pedantic possible mistakes, we're here to talk about rs.

He/she/it has a lot of valid points, of course graphics aren't everything, but it's easy to see that games don't follow a set pattern, some games are for fun and some are more serious,

runescape is bad - but its a huge multiplayer game its never relied on graphics

PS3/xbox360 are incredible - but you aren't playing with 250,000 other players every time you play it.

I've actually debated this irl with friends, and I will always be in the gameplay>realism camp. It doesn't matter if the realism is graphical, physics or gameplay mechanics, if pushing the realism of a game detracts from the fun, then it hurts the game.

I'll use Halo and Gears of Wsr to illustrate; one of the things I love about Halo is that, while you can use cover in your stratehy, you don't have to. The games are balanced enough that you can go kamikaze and tear into a group of enemies using only melee attacks and still come out on top. Whereas in GoW, you're basically forced into using their cover system to survive. Realistic, yes, but I felt that it made the game slow, boring and tedious. And very annoying when an enemy sneaks around your cover and blasts you before you can even turn to see him.

In relation to RS, there have been a number of rants complaining that This Weapon is overpowered compared to real life, or That Armor is more powerful in real life and it's not realistic blahblahblah. My response is always (and yes I didsteal it from someone else) "You're complaining about the realism of a weapon you're using to kill mythical creatures with?" Granted, some realistic balance is necessary to keep the game fair and fun, but really, complaining that spears are too powerful compared to their rl counterparts, and then actually comparing their seperate attributes is a little silly and a lot trite. If spears were made uber-real, then no one would use them. With their "poetically licensed" embellishments, they're a little more legitimate as useful weapons.

Realism is fine to a point, but it shouldn't interfere with the fun factor of a game because once that happens the realism no longer services the game but hurts it.

cube347.jpg

Part of the Star Traks network. (^^Clicky!)

Irony: An amnesiac rediscovering they have an eidetic memory.

nice article,

premise of smash bros. i think i remember was a bunch of dolls manipulated by a hand to fight each other (just like a kid who has all of these caracters might play fight between them imagining they were actually fighting, we all did it. i had my lego people fight :P )

tetris had the most interesting point ever i think. it was developed as a training program for soviets for mental chalenges and quick thinking. it just ended up that everyone loved it

I have skipped most of the posts here just in case of flamers, because I don't want their opinions leaving me in "stupid grumble mode" all day long.

Now, for my opinion...

The Editor, well said. =D> I honestly could not have said it better myself. Put simply, if I couldn't escape reality with games, I'd be in a looney farm already. :|

<*Dives into RuneScape...*>

~Mr. Devnull

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

With a small point to Crysis a game noted for insane graphics (its better than real life tim!...............) that CANNOT BE PLAYED AT ITS BEST SETTINGS ON ANY COMPUTER CURRENTLY AVAILABLE.thats insane the [bleep]ers have started bringing out what in effect is a concept game. They are sucking our wallets dry people, revolt, just because some tool bankrolled idiots to make the most complex graphics ever doesn't mean we need to spend $90 on the resultant game. You graphix [bleep] are gonna cost us all a lot of money by pushing prices up on useless games that look pretty. The problem with demanding awesome graphics can be seen on the PS3, ALL of its games are pretty awesome looking, ALL of its games are horrible to play. If you want something awesome to look at go to Brazil and look at the rainforest, or if your too lazy buy an HD TV and watch a show about the rainforest. If you want a decent game then gameplay will always be the most important thing.

Edit: I am not saying crysis will suck, i am also not saying games with good graphics suck. I AM SAYING that when developers (especially the scummy ones) think that all they need to do to sell is have 'great graphics', then we suffer because we get deluged by awesome looking but awful playing games. If you don't think this is the case you obviously haven't been looking at the releases for consoles over the last 10 years.

I play runescape because its cheap (free if your f2p), can be played on any computer that has java (I don't have my own computer), is a very large and complex game so theres always something to do, and has a huge player community. I think it would be better if it had better graphics, but I'm not going to spend $500-$1000 on a computer just so I can play a game with amazing graphics. I also don't like consol games, I really prefer multi player online games that you can't ever really "win" but just keep going. I used to have a super nintendo, and I did enjoy that, because it was all about speed and accuracy, not wandering around aimlessly like most of the newer consol games seem to be. I still like games that are about speed and accuracy, especially multi player ones like GUNZ, which is my second favorite game, to runescape.

whatcolor_isblue.jpg[r]