Why Jagex Why?

englandman66

Can someone answer me this.

The top ten spoken languages in the world are...

Mandarin Chinese

English

Hindustani

Spanish

Russian

Arabic

Bengali

Portugese

Malay-Indonesian

French

And Jagex makes Runescape German.

Why the Hell Did they make it German.

I understand that some of those languages aren't the weathiest countries and can't afford computers and etc.

But Spanish, French, Portugese, Russian, and some Arabic speaking countries

NEW TIPIT ACCOUNT-KNOTCH_BLADE

951471843knotch.jpg

Click For Bloggeh [Mage 55/55][Defence 26/40] Crafting[32/40]

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mandarin Chinese

English

Hindustani

Spanish

Russian

Arabic

Bengali

Portugese

Malay-Indonesian

French

I understand that some of those languages aren't the weathiest countries and can't afford computers and etc.

Germans have a harder time adjusting to english, they are also in europe closer to jagex, and runescape is biggest in european countries.

i will admit that before the german server the most spoken language i saw on the game was german(besides english), so perhaps they went not by percentage of total speakers, but the speakers who play runescape......i dont remember if they did a poll or not

clansig7.gif

Because german players play rs more than players who speak the other languages?

Becuase Jagex is European(English) and they wanted to cater to somewere closer to home for thier FIRST TRY at rs in another language?

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

Mandarin Chinese

Hindustani

Spanish

Russian

Arabic

Bengali

Portugese

Malay-Indonesian

French

The bold ones are the most likely to play RuneScape (not sure about Russia). Asian countries probably play Korean and Japanese games.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

Mandarin Chinese

Hindustani

Spanish

Russian

Arabic

Bengali

Portugese

Malay-Indonesian

French

The bold ones are the most likely to play RuneScape (not sure about Russia). Asian countries probably play Korean and Japanese games.

What ur not shure about Russia?

Come on I speak Russian I would love to have a server like that

If you do things right people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

Mandarin Chinese

Hindustani

Spanish

Russian

Arabic

Bengali

Portugese

Malay-Indonesian

French

What ur not shure about Russia?

Come on I speak Russian I would love to have a server like that

Yes but you also speak English. new language servers would be better for gamers who don't speak the main language of the current servers.

to be honest, the german servers are a flop, 1/2 of the users speak english. IMO jagex needs heavy german adertising to get german players.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

I enjoy how alot of you say Jagex is European based so lets go German because its in Europe

Last time I checked France, Spain, and Portugal are all closer than Germany to Cambridge.

NEW TIPIT ACCOUNT-KNOTCH_BLADE

951471843knotch.jpg

Click For Bloggeh [Mage 55/55][Defence 26/40] Crafting[32/40]

There are probably 10x as many people that speak German in the UK than speak any of the languages you listed* Almost all kids learn German at school here and very few learn the other languages you mentioned. So good luck getting a team of translators for that.

*Except French but hardly any French speaking people play.

Capone Sabre since April 2001.

99 Attack, Defence, Strength and Hitpoints Achieved January 2005. When it still meant something.

Capone_Sabre.png

Mandarin Chinese

Hindustani

Spanish

Russian

Arabic

Bengali

Portugese

Malay-Indonesian

French

Starcraft is a national sport in Korea. :D :D :D

Okay fine that's a bit of an exaggeration... but Starcraft is VERY popular in Korea lol. And when I visited Taiwan, Warcraft (Not World of Warcraft) is one of the most popular games there. I wouldn't be surprised if loads of people there play Runescape.

Jagex probably picked German because personally i saw the most players speaking german who couldn't speak english. People who i see speaking spanish, french or dutch more often know english. Out of the group of players who don't know english there is probably the most who know german.

Hameigh.png

Probably for the large dutch and German population that plays the game. Honestly, have you ever seen players speaking in French in RS?

Try a Canadian server. You'll see it sometimes, people from Quebec and (to a lesser extent) New Brunswic (provinces if you dont know canadian geography). since Quebec is offically the only french province and New Brunswic is the only bi lingual one. On any other server though no, you dont see french. Many of the peopel who speek those other languages also speek english, so its not a big deal for them.

I see people speaking Dutch more than i see people speaking any other non-English language, but really every person in Europe learns English as a primary subject at school, you'd have a hard time finding a European who couldn't speak passable English. So i don't think they need any different language servers, but its good experience for the company to work on a full translation.

I don't think that Jagex will make a Chinese/Portuguese(language) etc.. server because regardless of how many people speak those languages in the world that figure wont translate to people playing the game.

I enjoy how alot of you say Jagex is European based so lets go German because its in Europe

Last time I checked France, Spain, and Portugal are all closer than Germany to Cambridge.

The majority or french and spanish can also speak english.

Mandarin Chinese

English

Hindustani

Spanish

Russian

Arabic

Bengali

Portugese

Malay-Indonesian

French

Germans have a harder time adjusting to english, they are also in europe closer to jagex, and runescape is biggest in european countries.

Actually English deprived from the German language. You'll find many words in german that have much similiar spelling to their counterparts in english. Also considering the rules are a bit looser in grammar in English than German(e.g. setence structure, in german a statement must always come Subject, Verb, ect.), I don't think taking English as a second language in German should be as challenging as the other languages out there.

I think everyone is getting the wrong idea. German is just the first of many; jagex simply chose German to be first. You may find that popular languages will follow such as Spanish, Chinese(eek all the characters!), and French.

dangsig.png

By popular demand, this signature is back- however I currently do not have a blog up at the moment and if I did I wouldn't update it. Sorry, the sig links to nowhere :( .

Dutch+German and very common in Runescape. Also most people who speak french speak english.........

Click for My Blog

Runescapew44.png

b3e1cfada6.png

670th to 99 Smithing July 21st, 07 |743rd to 99 Mining November 29th, 07 | 649th to 99 Runecrafting May 18th, 08 | 29,050th to 99 Defence October 20th, 08 | 20,700th to 99 Magic November 8, 08 | 47,938th to 99 Attack December 19, 08 | 37,829th to 99 Hitpoints December 24, 08 | 68,604th to 99 Strength February 4, 09 | 27,983rd to 99 Range February 9, 09 | 9,725th to 99 Prayer June 8, 09 | 6,620th to 99 Slayer December, 12 09 | 4,075th to 99 Summoning December, 28 09 | 3,551th to 99 Herblore February 24, 10 | 3,192th to 99 Dungeoneering November 11, 10 | 146,600th to 99 Cooking December 29th, 10 | 11,333rd to 99 Construction June 7th, 11 | 16,648th to 99 Farming August 1st, 11 | 19,993th to 99 Crafting August 2nd, 11 | 89,739th to 99 Woodcutting Janurary 1st, 12 | 55,424th to 99 Fishing May 9th, 12| 60,648th to 99 Firemaking May 12th, 12 | 16666th to 99 Agility May 17th, 2012 | 24476th to 99 Hunter June 1st, 2012 | 57,881st to 99 Fletching June 1st, 2012 | All 99s June 1st, 2012 | 3183th to 120 Dungeoneering July 24th, 2012 | 2341st to 2496 Total level July 24th, 2012 | Completionist Cape July 24th, 2012

For French, It's easy to find them in the Canadian servers, since half of the time you see people speak in french in there. As a french canadian myself, I think it would be nice if some could have the game in french, as some don't speak any english (I have a few friends constantly asking me to translate -_-). Most those asking me to translate are from France though.

As for what I think they chose German to be first, I would be for the easyness. As english is not my first language, I can easily see that these 2 languages are very similar, the german I have heard is almost the same thing as english!