What do YOU know about Global-Warming?

Zouka

1) I hate how people go on arguing if global warming is "true" or not. I'll leave that to the experts, who don't think in terms of black and white and are able to see the many sides to this issue.

2) Treating the earth with some respect should not be something up for discussion. Completely aside from global warming or not.

3) And no, I'm not a hippie. But once in a while, take off your shoes, walk through grass or in a wood instead of on concrete floors. It's divine.

1. yeah, because no biased person has ever gone on to get a master's degree or higher in a field of science. :roll:

Ever heard of peer review? Read a scientific journal and you're not reading one man's opinion. It's often done by more than one, with verifiable and repeatable methods and conclusions the whole area of science you happen to be part of can comb through and criticise if need be.

So sumpta's right. I'll leave the science to the experts who I know have more of an objective outlook and are critiqued to a higher and more thorough degree than people on an internet forum are for thier views.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And modern day technology fixes both of those problems warrior and sanfrans. ^^

Honestly I have no idea what to believe on global warming, we're entering a new warm period, or ice age, CO2 is the cause, tectonics, atmosphere depletion, human interaction with the environment..like c'mon?

it's nothing more than a political fight that will ultimately go nowhere, just ignore it and live your life.

it's nothing more than a political fight.

It's a non-political problem that has been politiced.

signaturehoh.jpg

I'd rather die for what I believe in than live for anything else.

Name Removed by Administrator ~Turtlefemm

Climate on earth is cyclical. However, the last time that cycle was swung out of balance the way it is right now was during a series of massive volcanic eruptions. Of course earth recovered from that, and it will probably recover from this too. The question is whether or not we'll be around to witness that recovery.

Climate on earth is cyclical. However, the last time that cycle was swung out of balance the way it is right now was during a series of massive volcanic eruptions. Of course earth recovered from that, and it will probably recover from this too. The question is whether or not we'll be around to witness that recovery.

Well said.

280pxmaunaloacarbondioxms7.png

280pxinstrumentaltemperuf8.png

10ro8.jpg

There is no meaning or truth in life but that which we create for ourselves.

40678187bv4.jpg

Well guys, if you lived in a tropical country like me you wouldn't doubt there is a climatic change going on at the moment, whether or not it's caused by human actions. Hurricanes are getting more common, El Nỉ̮̱̉o and La Nỉ̮̱̉a effects are getting harder, there have been several tornadoes this year in a valley where tornadoes usually were seen every 5-6 years, we are getting much more rain in the rainy season, and we're getting much less rain in the dry season.

I can't tell you the reasons, as I'm no expert, but I can assure you, it is happening.

This signature is intentionally left blank.

Well said.
Actually, I was talking about Milankovitch cycles, which last a bit longer than those graphs you posted...

Umm Al Gore doesn't like it? I could care less..

I just had to watch "An Inconvient Truth" for the second time..I nearly cried of bordom :( ....Anyway His documentary/film is being critised now

...aaaannnnnnd it just won him a Nobel peace prize. :-k

Umm Al Gore doesn't like it? I could care less..

I just had to watch "An Inconvient Truth" for the second time..I nearly cried of bordom :( ....Anyway His documentary/film is being critised now

...aaaannnnnnd it just won him a Nobel peace prize. :-k

That he really didn't deserve...

"If I did break into a hotel room to steal my trophies, this is how it happened."

I was watching National Geographic channel about ten minutes ago and there were some commercials on.

The first one was a very informative advert about how you can apply for a FREE magazine from a government initiative that informs you how to reduce your carbon footprint and save money etc... Great advert.

This was directly followed by an Admiral advert offering you a discount on your car insurance if you own more than two cars. FFS

So here's what I know about global warming.

1. Corporate greed will result in little change.

2. Governments will use it as an excuse to hike certain taxes (and do nothing with them)

3. Global warming talk is just that.... TALK, with little or no action.

Harrington.gif

That he really didn't deserve...

Eh, at least we know that the Nobel Prize is going to lead to more scrupulous examination of his documentary, with more proliferation of the information countering his arguments. An Inconvenient Truth definitely needs a little more of that .

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

Got something particular in mind reb? :P

Eh, about the documentary? No information or counterargument that isn't already over a year old. I kinda stopped caring about Al Gore in 2000, so I havn't felt any real need to bash him or his documentary.

I don't really hate either side of the debate, I just hate any form of dogma on either side. That, or overuse of pathos on the "man-made Global warming" side (ugh, wish that would end, frikkin' finger pointing and holier than thou speeches from that side of the debate). I would count the Nobel Prize being offered to one side as a reinforcement of dogmatic opinions, so I'm not exactly a fan of Al Gore, or anyone for that matter in this overly political "scientific" debate, getting it for that reason.

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

Got something particular in mind reb? :P

Eh, about the documentary? No information or counterargument that isn't already over a year old. I kinda stopped caring about Al Gore in 2000, so I havn't felt any real need to bash him or his documentary.

I don't really hate either side of the debate, I just hate any form of dogma on either side. That, or overuse of pathos on the "man-made Global warming" side (ugh, wish that would end, frikkin' finger pointing and holier than thou speeches from that side of the debate). I would count the Nobel Prize being offered to one side as a reinforcement of dogmatic opinions, so I'm not exactly a fan of Al Gore, or anyone for that matter in this overly political "scientific" debate, getting it for that reason.

I agree, pathos, holier than thou attitudes and dogmatic opinions get us nowhere, thus why I suggest bypassing all your conventional media/politics/"this documentary says"/"my uncle Jed says" type debates and go for some literature sources:

Science

Nature

PNAS

Oxford Journals

:)

And what's wrong with hugging trees???

The sap, it gets on the back on your hand and your all happy hugging it, you release from the embrace and theres sap everywhere probably some ants too. You panic, wipe it off onto your pants, and bam. STAIN. :cry: