Tip.it Times Presents: I could do that job so much better!

MPM

I agree 100% with the article, we could all go for some humility once in a while.

thats why p2p are only allowed on the forums, we actually know all aspects of the game

That's by far the dumbest thing i've ever heard, you don't have to experience something to understand it completely, and how about PAST members eh?

Think your thoughts through before you post them carelessly.

P2P get forums because they pay for them, thats the only reason why.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People may need to look at the credits list in console games once in a while. A brand new game made from scratch perhaps need 2 years full time of that unending list of programmers to make and perfect. JaGex is giving you something every month with a mere 30 programmers or so the article says. Things are easy until you try it.

I agree with this article, most of it at least. But in the own shoes thing, no I won't think of me doing a better job or anything. But I can think there are people better suited to doing it. Knowing I can't do a better job does not mean I cannot criticize, I pay for the service, I expect the service to be good. I pay for the plumber, I don't know plumbing. But if he can't fix it, I find a better plumber.

Not to say I really think that but just something I thought about. I am skeptical of whether they really are doing everything possible to stop Gold buyers and bots, but on another level, do I really want them to? Would you rather they sweep out all bots along with hundreds of completely innocent players in the process? Or do I want them to clean them out in a way that to ensure no innocent players are accused?

Templar Guardians

When are trying to lend something, the word to use is borrow. Not barrows, which is a mini-game.

Nice but half done.

Few months ago i read an excellent article regarding how its like to develop a MMORPG.

This article was written by the creator of Eternal Landsand i think its shows perfectly the picture from the game developers' view.

I can say that reading it made me appreciate even more the gr8 job Jagex is doing.

btw, there are small refferences to runescape in this article as well :D

Eternal Lands' MMORPG Postmortem: Mistakes and Lessons

Read It !!

Well, written, much sense about it

Dharoks, emo's ultimate weapon if you know what i'm sayin. :lol:
Very nice 10/10

For a second when I was looking at your drop-list picture. Ilooked at the dragon longsword and said "They have a dragon longsword now??" ohh I'm tired :wall:

..., then I noticed a gravestone where our tank was supposed to be and my health was a 1 digit number again.

I think I know from where he is.... (the guy who created Etenal Lands that is)

But this slightly makes me hold my mouth shut about no extra bankspace, I never wanted skills. But this still doesn't shut my mouth about costumer support.

Why does it take 48+ hours to get a simple response from the staff?

Your about 59 days off there -.- .

And I only got a auto message.

But I still don't want them to put more people in...

22031_s.gif

The key to defeating autos, is to give players the means to disrupt them, with some protection against victimizing the very few genuine skillers.

Maybe if summoning ever arrives in some form (and this bit would need to be F2P), it could be used to summon agressive monsters to an area, a limited number of times per player per day.

It was a nice read,

nabsigmar2011.png

[spoiler=My 99s (7)]9,638th to 99 Fletching ~ 29th January 2007

737th to 99 Hunter ~ 2nd July 2007

910th to 99 Agility ~ 28th January 2008

59,467th to 99 Defence ~ 23rd December 2009

92,762nd to 99 Hitpoints ~ 26th June 2010

102,704th to 99 Attack ~ 29th June 2010

144,091st to 99 Strength ~ 29th June 2010

Great read.

I especially like the section describing free players demanding better customer service.

I think the customer service side of the game is fine the way it is (given the amount it costs to play). But certain aspects of the game could use better insight, including how to deal with macros and real life traders.

Harrington.gif

This was a great article, and a good read as well. I complain very little about that game, only peoblem i still have is the bots, but nothing is perfect. Good job.

35bvvh1.png

[hide=Quotes]

Albel/Justin

Albel doesn't say anything anymore, just comes in, leaves an arrow and vanishes into the night :(Probably
practising some euphonium

You nearly had me fooled, you fooler you

Euphonium/10.

9/10. To me, always associate Albel with musical stuff in OT.

Everyone with a goatee and glasses is Albel now.

lmfao albel m8 wat r u doin, hi though.

[/hide]

[hide=Runescape Achievements]99 firemaking(2007), 99 woodcutting(2008), 99 fletching(2009), 99 magic(2010), 99 cooking(2010), 99 farming(2011), 99 construction(2011), 99 runecrafting(2012), 99 Hunter (2014),  99 ranged (2015), 99 HP (2015), 99 Slayer (2015), 99 attack (2015) 99 Defense (2015) 99 Prayer (2015) 99 Summoning (2015) 99 Strength(2015) 99 Herblore (2015) 99 Dungeoneering (2017)  99 Mining (2017) 99 Crafting (2017) 99 Smithing (2017) 99 Thieving (2017)  99 invention (2017) 99 Fishing (2018), 99 Divination (2018), 99 Agility (2018), MAXED (05/17/2018)[/hide]

Deep down, Andrew is a human game designer too. People might and will say he just wants to do things for money, but more than once he has proven them wrong by giving a message to the players, when they finally shut up.

The oldest recollection that's coming to mind is when people were whining they didn't get their scythes even when the single-day event was extended to a weekend. Infuriated, he declared he was not going to release anymore holiday drops (which he did put in action that Christmas) since players are too greedy by mistaking a nice gift for a valuable item and complain in excess when they missed a non-tradable one. This changed for Runescape 2, probably from a staff decision rather than his own.

"300 programmers make their futile but glorious last stand against 1000000 angry players in The battle of Misthalin. They fight for honor, glory and new content sacrificing themselves so that their game may live on. This is Madness! This Is JAGEEEX!"

Would have preferred a source on those numbers, anyone could throw a few fancy numbers around.

Look around JaGeX.com

It shows what they're hiring, how many have the positions and how much each pays. Can't be bothered to find it, though.

A few flaws.

Wow is $15 a month, you don't need to buy game disks (unless expansion)

Doubling customer support staff does not "merely half to time" it's neccesary because if the staff was not increased eventually Jagex would be getting more emails per day then they respond to per day.

Players do have the right to criticize functions and mechanics of the game and Jagex and this should be welcomed by a company so as to improve their game.

Okay, now letÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s say your Andrew Gower.

Just something that was annoying me, should be you're (I think at least).

Personally, I'm quite happy that I can log on to the game any time I want to, without the servers begin full. I completely agree with the fact that JaGeX, or more specifically Andrew Gower, are doing every they can for the game.

Edit:

Players do have the right to criticize functions and mechanics of the game and Jagex and this should be welcomed by a company so as to improve their game.

A company should welcome constructive criticism, but not some idiotic rant made by someone on how range is too strong just because he died to one in the wilderness. And to be fair, most of the rants I've seen fit in the second category.

bewatchingyousigau4.gif

[260+ Quest Points] [All Skills 50+] [Lv 97 Combat]

Another good read. I have myself thought many times "Why do it takes so long time for them to reply?", but now I can understand why. And how nice Jagex actually is.

Thanks for changing my view on customer support :)!

lGxorje.png

Add me if you so wish: SwreeTak

The key to defeating autos, is to give players the means to disrupt them, with some protection against victimizing the very few genuine skillers.

Maybe if summoning ever arrives in some form (and this bit would need to be F2P), it could be used to summon agressive monsters to an area, a limited number of times per player per day.

Nice thought, but what would protect the inoccent players who happen to not be watching the screen? And isn't that what random events are for?

whatcolor_isblue.jpg[r]

At Jagex, we are dedicated to doing our very best to have as small an impact on the environment as possible. Jagex aims to be a 100% carbon neutral company, by taking all measures possible to reduce our emissions overall and to offset all remaining emissions.

Carbon Management Jagex aims to have as small a carbon footprint as possible. Reducing energy consumption per head is one clear way. Minimising the use of air travel and use of cars are other ways, but also simply being conscious of the true cost of energy consumption has a positive effect.

Ecotricity As an e-business, Jagex still requires substantial amounts of electrical power. So where Jagex has the ability to choose in the UK - all our electricity is bought from Ecotricity, the clean technologies power company.

Carbon Offsetting Wherever we have no choice in energy provider (such as at our server locations around the world) we aim to offset all the emissions caused by our power consumption. These funds support projects which promote the use of renewable energy, carbon sequestration and low energy alternative technologies. We also offset the emissions of all business air travel.

Recycling Jagex recycles as much of its waste as possible. This includes paper, metal and plastics. It also seeks to use suppliers who produce the products in environmentally sound and sustainable ways and take steps to minimise the amount of waste generated through our daily activities.

As part of its ongoing commitment to good corporate citizenship Jagex supports a range of national and international charities.

Since 2004, Jagex has donated over ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâã200,000 to various charities including:

Save the Children

CAFOD

Hamlin Churchill Childbirth Injuries Fund

Cancer Research

Cystic Fibrosis Trust

The University of Pennsylvania

Royal Marsden Cancer Campaign

Bury Bombers Wheelchair Basketball

SOS Children's Villages

Who could complain about a company like this?

whatcolor_isblue.jpg[r]

very very well said, and i believe its something very very few realize.

i read somewhere (from a j-mod) that they ban over 10k accounts every week, so when people say they do nothing, its really disheartening

i think its time for people to realize jagex is really working hard to give people something they can enjoy!

I Have Been Stripped of my Own Glory...

dudd_of_all.png

dudd_of_all.png

Cooking Cape EARNED: January 2nd, 2008

34,491st to 99 Attack: June 12th, 2008

I applaude you for stating the obvious truth. =D> It seems like people these days expect Jagex to go bankrupt to make the game perfect, no one and nothing is absolutely perfect, well, except me. I've never had to big of a problem with Jagex, and i highly doubt I or anyone else could do a better job than they do. They have a budget, and they're not going to hire half the world so that they can feel good about thenselves because we're al completely happy. I'm just happy that they let me play sucha great game for free!

Once again, great job on pointing out the truth, I agreed so much with that article.

Penguin Power!

MSSW3sig.png

^The last great war of the Wilderness....

Yeah, I don't have a cool signature, so the MSSW3 sig will have to do....