Tip.it Times Presents: Reasons to hate Jagex!

MPM

whats that joke

how many noob does it take to screw in a lightbulb??

100, 1 to screw it in and 99 to complain how good it was before

JaGeX meet this rpoblem every time they have an update...there is no way out =/

Animaslayer.png

Dragon Drops: Platelegs x9, Med Helms x7, Plateskirts x4, Shield Left Half x3, At least 75+ Boots!, Hatchets x5, Ruined Shard x1, Solo Claws x2, Dragon 2Hander x1, Spear x2

Whip x27, Dark Bows x9, Draconic Visage x1

sweetol5.png <- do that when you see me :P

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In reply to the article "Jagex hates us..". I would just like to say that I personally have spent a great amount of time turning in bots. :wall: I hate them :evil: and think they make the game unfair. I would go to pc and there would never be any runes when I needed them or I would just be training my mage and had to world hop forever to get them. I love the new shop format. (and btw you can actually buy even more seaweed at one time than before -80 a day- if you talk to the shop guy there at Catherby) this is much more efficient to me that waiting on it to respawn or world hopping. (isn't it nice they gave us the same number as we get from our sand from Bert?) Now I know that when I need something I can buy it. :D

If you think it has stopped people from making money, you need to look again. The prices are higher now in the shops, especially runes, and ppl are still making loads of money on them. The economy will adjust and eventually ppl will see this was a great update and much needed. It makes it much more efficient to train when items are needed instead of having to look and look for someone selling something. There are still so many items that are player made, or player obtained, that all anyone has to do is adjust what they are selling instead of cheating all the other players out of shop stock. Kudos and more Kudos :thumbsup: to Jagex is my opinion and if anyone is wondering, I am a merchant in the game and have always obtained my items the legal way. It has not effected my income in any way, except maybe increasing it. People if you will look at the big picture, then you will stop your complaining. Unless, that is, you were botting and annoying all the rest of us.

Popular comments I've seen in people's "I-hate-Jagex" topics include "They don't care about the game", "They only want the money", "They're just doing silly little updates and not fixing the big problems", "They're afraid of people whining, so they won't do anything about this problem", etc. That's not just background juvenile moaning, it's a serious opinion expressed by intelligent and mature members of the RuneScape community.

I love the article all-around other than this one bit. It is very much so an opinion of a person on RuneScape, which should be viewed as a paying customer in members or someone they'd like to convert to a member in free to play. However, my beef with it is that I consider a large population of RuneScape to not be intelligent and mature at the same time. Don't get me wrong, this isn't entirely an insult, I'm just saying most of the people that play RuneScape are young and aren't supposed to be mature yet.

I'm sure he probably wrote something along those lines to avoid flaming and to upbeat the players, good idea for an article.

Kaejer.png

they hate me because they don't even respond to my last chance appeals while unfairly banned. They have really really sucky CS compared to WoW which i play now, around 10-20 min then you get in game chat support with a GM

mini193.png

Doing a little bit of everything

Guest Pintendo

I don't get why Jagex doesn't want people using bots. So some people want to play the game like that. I don't, but I'm not the only person in the world. So people want to use a few bots here and there, or they want to set it up every night. They would probably get a lot more subscriptions if they just let the bots go. I'm not trying to say that bots are the way to go, but you have to admit. It is just to dang annoying on how they put ads up on their own website saying that bots are a bad thing. It isn't going to hurt them to let people use bots. It's their computer and they should know if they download these "cheats," they are putting their computer on the line. It's their fault if they get viruses. If you think there are other reasons they don't want bots, please post them here. P.S. Whatever happened to Jagex's other multi player games?

I don't get why Jagex doesn't want people using bots. So some people want to play the game like that. So some people want to play the game like that. I don't, but I'm not the only person in the world. So people want to use a few bots here and there, or they want to set it up every night. They would probably get a lot more subscriptions if they just let the bots go. I'm not trying to say that bots are the way to go, but you have to admit. It is just to dang annoying on how they put ads up on their own website saying that bots are a bad thing. It isn't going to hurt them to let people use bots. It's their computer and they should know if they download these "cheats," they are putting their computer on the line. It's their fault if they get viruses. If you think there are other reasons they don't want bots, please post them here. P.S. Whatever happened to Jagex's other multi player games?
Bots affects the game for other players. They get in the way. You have to wait endlessly 'cause they chop the tree down. They used to buy all stock from the stores (glad that's fixed now). Things like that: they really get in the way of honest players, they spoil your fun!
muisje46.png

Now that some time has gone by and tempers may have calmmed down--no one likes change.

I have a question: Is the shop update working? In the areas I use to make money, the prices for raw materials and selling prices have not changed.

Lovin' the whole holier than thou "I've never whined or complained about an update in my life" attitude stamped all over this frikkin' thread.

Yes, all those who desire change should die, right. Good one guys.

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

And which one is this "mod hobagoly", Henrique O or Imre J?
Imre J is Mod Hobagoly and has been RuneScape's Head of Game Content since June 2006.

Henrique O has been the Lead Designer for MechScape since around January 2006.

ren_tbv450.png

Mechscape World (the original MechScape fansite)

All of the Jagex brown-nosers who don't think there are very good reasons to be upset over the company's totally inept and uncaring CS should tell this guy about how wonderful the company is and how they are "doing their best".

Qeltar, aka Charles Kozierok

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

All of the Jagex brown-nosers who don't think there are very good reasons to be upset over the company's totally inept and uncaring CS should tell this guy about how wonderful the company is and how they are "doing their best".

I have yet to see a detailed plan for how a company is to process incredibly large numbers of queries per day without ever making a single mistake. Hiring an a few thousand more staff might be a promising start, provided every single one of them is capable of working at 100% accuracy at the speeds needed to keep on top of the queries. The accuracy must be maintained when answering questions such as "is this guy lying in his ban appeal?" which is notoriously hard to answer correctly if you're not willing to trust the guy's word.

Now, we can probably trust the guy whose ban is mentioned above - and I'm disappointed that Jagex didn't - but what if the appeal were from someone who'd only got their stats into the 60s? Or the 50s? Or if they'd only played for 2 years rather than being around for much longer? At what do we stop automatically trusting them as a long-standing player? That's not going to be a sustainable solution to ban appeals, especially as it would implicitly give high-level players free rein to break any rule the like provided they can find a convincing explanation!

No-one's claiming that Jagex always gets things right (and as time goes by I disagree with them more and more), but it's overreacting to call anyone a brown-noser for claiming that the company might be attempting to do a decent job of running RuneScape.

c.f. The Editor's recent article entitled I could do that job so much better.

Besides, if anyone wanted to brown-nose Jagex, they'd be well advised to go do it on the RSOF where Jagex might read it :-P

I have yet to see a detailed plan for how a company is to process incredibly large numbers of queries per day without ever making a single mistake.

Nobody is asking for that.

As I said in the thread to which I referred, mistakes are to be expected, since we are all human. The problem isn't so much this person being banned unfairly, but the lack of attention to his appeal.

The problem is simple: Jagex does not care about individual players, and that is likely because they are not making customer support a priority. To each of us, a character is an investment of hundreds or thousands of hours of time and effort. To them we are just $5 a month, like any newb who signs up for membership tomorrow.

As for a "detailed plan" -- providing decent customer support is something thousands of companies are able to do. If they can't figure it out themselves, they can hire a consultant.

The accuracy must be maintained when answering questions such as "is this guy lying in his ban appeal?" which is notoriously hard to answer correctly if you're not willing to trust the guy's word.

So basically, they ban people based on flimsy evidence, let them appeal, and then deny the appeal with a form letter because they trust themselves more than the person banned.

Why bother with the appeals process at all?

Jagex is making money hand over fist. If they can't even devote a small amount of effort to considering the status of a long-time player -- and p mod no less -- then they are sending a clear message: We. Don't. Care.

No-one's claiming that Jagex always gets things right (and as time goes by I disagree with them more and more), but it's overreacting to call anyone a brown-noser for claiming that the company might be attempting to do a decent job of running RuneScape.

Wasn't referring specifically to you, but there are plenty of them around.

Jagex is doing a decent job of making Jagex money. Everything else seems to be a distant, distant second place.

~q

Qeltar, aka Charles Kozierok

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

Yeah I personaly love the fact we can buy as much as we need of stackable things in shops, I mean come on, try buying arrows before - pain in the but. but in real life too, no matter what happens people will complain - but thats how I like it

I'm a mature runescape player... well, as mature as someone who plays runescape can be :-)

As for a "detailed plan" -- providing decent customer support is something thousands of companies are able to do. If they can't figure it out themselves, they can hire a consultant.

On a practical note, I find it helps to do business with smaller companies. They have less customers so they tend to have more time to spare when I want something. The downside is that they might not have the resources to do the job, or they might fold up, or they might charge more.

Jagex themselves used to be a smaller company, and people got to meet the programmers just chilling in the game, leading to many a funny screenshot of players being teleported into the water obelisk or onto Party Pete's table.

A growing company has a problem brought on by hiring new staff. This isn't a defence of Jagex, nor is it intended as an excuse for anything.

I, as Supreme Boss and Founder of my imaginary company, need to hire underlings to take on some of the work so that I can get on with running the company. I, the Supreme Boss and Founder, know perfectly well how things should be done, and I probably wrote the instruction manual for the newbie staff. Then they go off and read it, and start trying to do the job. Except they're not Me, and they don't think the same way as I do. No matter how thorough I make the instructions, they decide to enforce Company Policy rigidly where I might have been flexible, or they simply misunderstand something and do a whole load of harm before anyone realizes what's up.

This calls for more supervision of the newbie staff, so maybe I try to keep a better eye on what they're doing. That doesn't work very well with Me trying to get my own work done, so I end up hiring a guy to act as a manager for my underlings. He can run their hiring, their training, their discipline, etc. Except he's still going to have the problem that the underlings don't think the same way that he does, and they still won't always do what he would have wanted, and by the time we've got a huge team of underlings, they're going to be mighty hard to check up on all the time.

What I've got now is a dilemma. If my underlings are instructed to follow Company Policy at all times, they're inevitably going to hit a situation where it would have been better to be flexible. I could update the Company Policy to cover more situations, but it will now be so long and complicated that they'd have to be superhuman to remember it all and apply it correctly! Alternatively, if they're instructed to use their initiative instead, they might do absolutely anything.

Unsurprisingly, and without any particular malice on my part, things go wrong.

We don't know exactly how Jagex got from the small start-up to the behemoth it is today. It doesn't seem to have been planned in the usual way; it's generally known that Jagex didn't have a huge start-up loan and a team of entrepreneurs watching over their shoulders when they began. They seem to have simply evolved from that beginning, doing what they think needs doing, fixing problems as they come up. Perhaps a consultant or two would have helped. Perhaps they did get consultants - given that consultancy firms are hiring people fresh out of university [*] to go and give advice to experienced business-people, I'm a little sceptical about consultancy as a source of wisdom.

[*] Including some of my friends. Lovely people, but not blessed with many years of experience yet.

Sure, things could stand to be better. Little guidelines like "that's one of our longest-standing players, don't diss him", for a start. Although, if you tell a whole team of people that they should try to trust the word of people who've played since before dd/mm/yyyy, who knows what the instruction might get twisted into later...

...basically, they ban people based on flimsy evidence, let them appeal, and then deny the appeal with a form letter because they trust themselves more than the person banned.

Why bother with the appeals process at all?

People I've seen posting about getting their accounts back on appeal had, in many cases, explained that their account had been stolen at the time of the offence. That's a claim that Jagex can check against their IP logs. An explanation about a random encounter with a real-life friend doesn't make the existing "evidence" of item-transferring go away. I don't like it at all, but one can see how the situation might arise.

As for quick-replies... they claim to ban many thousands of accounts per week (newsposts about botting and real-world trading), and however much they dress up the wording, all those "You've been banned" messages are going to look pretty much the same. Except that they'd have spent a heck of a lot longer doing the work, which doesn't give much of a benefit for the time spent.

Wasn't referring specifically to you...

Ok, cheers :-)

I personally enjoyed the article, fairly much so! I also believe it's true. Despite most of what qeltar said, i believe people have a good opinion over the article, so kudos to you!

Open to any criticizm, lol!

I Have Been Stripped of my Own Glory...

dudd_of_all.png

dudd_of_all.png

Cooking Cape EARNED: January 2nd, 2008

34,491st to 99 Attack: June 12th, 2008

Good article. People will whine no matter what anyone does. That is just a fact of life. I personally liked the shop update and since I rarely buy stuff from shops, it didn't affect me much. I'm a new member so I don't know anything about battlestaves. I think the bot problem needs to be delt with and unless Jagex does something too drastic, I won't quit Runescape anytime soon.

MSSW4TI.png

Yesterday, i bought a walliecard and became another 31 days member.

Then 2 hours later i was talking but no one responded.

I watched my Offence and Ban area thingy (lol) and i saw i was muted for 2 days. I watched the evidence: I saw my conversation with a lvl 45 2 MONTS AGO what was like: Hey bow 0f mercy your a noob, my lvl 631 main own you in 1 hit. I said: Lol u idiot, runescape cmb's only go to 126. Fakking noob jeez.

Seems like a present of people who pay to play the game. MUTE EM! :shame:

Busy on my 30 def Turmoil project. 92/95 prayer!