Great Exchange--Possible money sink?

axeraider194

NOTE: There is no information or proof that this is real, or that Jagex will implement it into the update, it is just a possibility.

One word: DEPOSITS.

If Jagex takes a % of the items value (gauged by high alch value perhaps?) you are selling it for (say, 1% of the value) when the object fails to sell in the auction house, it can be a neverending money sink.

It'll prevent people from selling tons and tons of items for rediculous prices, since they are getting charged a small amount of gp if the object fails to sell (The deposit is put in before the item goes up for sale, if the object sells, you get the deposit back, if it doesn't, you lose the deposit)

For example, if I put a fire battlestaff up for sale in the bank (High alch value--9300), in order to put it up for sale, I will need to pay a deposit fee (93gp). If the object sells, I get what the buyer paid for, plus my 93gp deposit back. If it fails to sell at my price, the game keeps my deposit of 93gp.

Yes, it's a lot like in World of Warcraft.

Something like this can really control the gp/inflation problem, slowly but surely, it's a neverending money sink that although it's only a few gp from each person from every item they sell, it adds up to large amounts over time.

Thoughts? Opinions?

axeraider194.png

It wouldn't always make sense to use the High Alchemy price of each item for a tax because they don't always correlate with the market price. Probably make more sense just to deduct a tax from the amount of money being traded.

icecube7.jpeg

It wouldn't always make sense to use the High Alchemy price of each item for a tax because they don't always correlate with the market price. Probably make more sense just to deduct a tax from the amount of money being traded.

When it comes to phats and other rares, that's an awful lot of deposit money.

axeraider194.png

Theres so much money coming into the economy from alching and other stuff that this wouldn't make too big of an effect.

It most certainly would, at least, a hell of a lot more than what the money sink in world 2 and the forums are (0gp)

Get every single piece of barrow armor, barrow weapons, dragon armor, dragon weapons, rune armor, rune weapons, Third age armor, dragonhide, staffs, robes, etc.

That's a lot of high alch value in each of those pieces, which=more deposit money.

Now, think of most players in runescape doing that.

axeraider194.png

Yeah I know that's why I hope they don't do it.

But it seems like the only fair way to do it, if they were to.

icecube7.jpeg

Thats a good idea but not for the money sink issue, it would keep people from dropping, say, 100k nature runes at 350 ea and just leaving them there for a month, they would not want to lose their deposit money so they would sell at the normal price, it would keep prices in the auction house steady so that people don't drop absurd prices in there for months at a time to see if anyone buys.

I personally like the idea because I dont want to go into the GE and see the market flooded with a bunch of idiots selling something like a bronze med for 1 mill.

As people have said though...you cant necessarily go by the high alch value as that doesnt reflect true market price. So going off a percentage of what the item is selling for seems best...something like 1% as you suggested seems reasonable.

However, when we get to things like Phats, 1% is a big chunk to put down...anda lot to loose if your item doesnt sell (what if you offer a decent price and it's just not a hot buying time for that item?). Solution? Make it somehting like 1% of the items selling value up to 10k or something. So people putting up Phats would only have to put up 10k.

Any item under 1 mill would be a 1% tax if not sold. At 1 million gp, that 1% tax reaches 10k at wich point it would go no higher, so even selling a 500 mill GP item would only be a 10k fee.

sig1178ko.jpg

Sykoknight - 1900 skill total - 132+ combat

Fighting High Scores from late 2001 - Ranked 1894

Prayer High Scores from March 2002 - Ranked 749

Ya, I've been around too long.

i think it would be arround a 1000gp depost for anything 20k (alch wise) and below

and 5k deposit for anything higher

that will stop people selling buckets for 1mill ea and putting a 1gp deposit (according to your idea)

fulldragsigcopydh25.jpg

Well with Phats and other huge items then, you'd just go meet the person, so there wouldn't be this tax?

In Soviet Russia, glass eats OTers.

Alansson Alansson, woo woo woo!

Pink owns yes, just like you!

GOOOOOOOOOO ALAN! WOO!

I personally like the idea because I dont want to go into the GE and see the market flooded with a bunch of idiots selling something like a bronze med for 1 mill.

As people have said though...you cant necessarily go by the high alch value as that doesnt reflect true market price. So going off a percentage of what the item is selling for seems best...something like 1% as you suggested seems reasonable.

However, when we get to things like Phats, 1% is a big chunk to put down...anda lot to loose if your item doesnt sell (what if you offer a decent price and it's just not a hot buying time for that item?). Solution? Make it somehting like 1% of the items selling value up to 10k or something. So people putting up Phats would only have to put up 10k.

Any item under 1 mill would be a 1% tax if not sold. At 1 million gp, that 1% tax reaches 10k at wich point it would go no higher, so even selling a 500 mill GP item would only be a 10k fee.

If I learned anything from the Pokemon Diamond GTS, its that you see things like "Trading Bidoof lv.13 (basically absolutely worthless) for a lv.82 Deoxys! (Very rare)

By demanding a small amount of payment, I'd say 1%, .1%, or even .01% of the item (Perhaps a lower payment for the really expensive items) so that each trade helps reduce inflation

enex2sigjpegkm3.jpg

Do you hate Wyverns or Warped Terrorbirds? Think again! Misunderstood Monsters!

Want to become a Champion of Champions like I once was? Champion Scroll Guide!

Feeling Bored? List of Sidequests

Rare Drops: Dragon Sq Half : 1, Dragon Med : 2, Dragon Claws : 2, Dragon Legs : 1, Dragon Boots : 60+, Granite Legs: 8

There economy is not hurting as it may appear.

I thought you saying that you would be taxed to sell your items which make more sense than a deposit, but instead you were talking about a deposit which doesn't make sense in my opinion. Though this is a game it must still make sense for Non Playable Characters. Why would a 'person', regardless of him being real or not, help you sell your stuff, but get nothing in return? It makes sense to say that you're taxed instead of making deposit because if he is relying on getting your money by your product not selling. Is he going to try to sell it? No. Why would you even bother to sell it through him if he is not going to sell it? I say tax, not deposit.

However, tax would increase prices (hidden tax to the consumer) because you're not going to want to pay for tax so you pass it on to the consumer by increasing your prices. People would still use this 'capital' regardless of tax because it is convenient.

Is tax good for the economy though? No. Of course, there is two types of taxes in America, benefit taxes and ability to pay taxes. Benefit taxes is paying for the benefits your received which is fair and ability to pay tax is being taxed proportionally to what you make which is fun. However, both is coercion because you are forced to pay. This would be a benefit tax.

aprzanimateddarkci0.gif

OK , why would Jagex do any of this? It"s not like we are talking about real money here. :?:

Umm, economic stability?

What economic stability, this is a game. It's not Wall Street. Jagex cares about game play, not economic stability in a made up world. :wall:

***Happily poking bears, kicking cubs and petting bobcats since 1967***

eagleglobeanchorke1.gifc975dbbbcb.png eagleglobeanchorke1.gif

violent069oe7.gif Who says smileys are always happy? gunfight32zm4.gifmortarox0.gif

I don't think it's even that complicated.

All Jagex has to do is dump a few items in. Some elemental runes at 15 ea. Maybe some slightly cheaper rune armor. It's not like a store, where the player can KEEP buying them from, and the money still leaves the game.

It would be easy for Jagex to put money in or take money out.

OK , why would Jagex do any of this? It"s not like we are talking about real money here. :?:

Umm, economic stability?

What economic stability, this is a game. It's not Wall Street. Jagex cares about game play, not economic stability in a made up world. :wall:

:shame: :shame: :shame: If i was JaGeX i would worry about the economy - if Whips are 500k and santas were 1m... How many people would quit? I know i would.... :cry: *JaGeX says bye to millons a year...* :ohnoes:

10gfhah.jpg

jojosonofgod.gif

jojosonofgod.png

When they introduce 20 party hats into the game by making false listings, a lot of money will disappear.

so there's this thread in p2p general called "the most annoying things ppl do on runescape" i am tempted to post "ya wen im cybering with a girl and they log off for no reason"

Actually, rather than a deposit system, I'm guessing with some certainty that a tax system similar to the one used on eBay sales will be implemented.

Basically, you can put up an item for any price, but you must pay a percentage (probably between 0.5% and 5%, most likely 1%) when you post the sale. Whether or not the item sells, that tax is instantly taken and you don't get it back. This also prevents noobs posting items for millions, since they wouldn't be able to pay the, say, 100k necessary to post a bronze skirt for 10mil.