Salutary Neglect and offense forgiveness

benar

I think old blackmarks...as in old old black marks (2-3 yrs) should be removed after a certain amount of time if you do not commit the same offence again, especially for rule 1.

However, i'm proud to report i have yet to get 1 blackmark :thumbsup:

I've gotten a warning before (I think on the old abuse system) for language, when i was hacked :x

~Ddaanniiellh

overall-1.png: 1437 combat.png: 173
Lowest Combat to 1,000 Total in F2P (23 Combat)
2r8i4.png
Check me out on YouTube!

Just a plain "NO".

Rule breakers should be punished, rules should be enforced. No mercy on rule breakers. Advertising websites, scamming, RWT, all of this, is NOT a slip of the tongue. If you get black marks (human errors excluded), you deserve them. Getting a black mark is warning enough, no need to lose them after a period of time, that would only say to the player "it's ok to scam, just wait 1 month and you can do it again!"

Rule 1 (offensive laguage) breakers do so willingly. They puposely evade the censor, and I have no mercy on them.

Getting rid of black marks after a certain period of times would be the same as telling a child abuser that he is wrong, but after a certain time it is right again!

Rule breakers should be punished, always. Zero Tolerance!

transcript80.png

Other data was removed when acoount got hacked...

+1 agree

the rules that jagex has set down are pretty darn simple, if you're gonna go breaking them then you should be ready to cop the punishment on the chin and learn from it, how many second chances do u need?

Fire Cape attempts - 3 | No Cigar

8__omega__8.gif

8__omega__8.png

Yes, a statute of limitations. That can sum it up. It makes no sense why people have offenses held against them which they committed so long ago.

You are very right that many people do change in time too.

Nah, statute of limitations only holds for some crimes, not all of them. If a guy scams 40m gp off a player 1 year ago, he should still be perm banned. Same with hacking, autoing, advertising scam sites, or buying/selling irl.

If a player scammed 12 months ago, he probably only stopped because he felt he already got enough through scams. :roll:

My thoughts-they should read something as important as a last chance appeal. i had 1 offense(Real world trading, which i didn't do -.-) and they denied it, because "you have continued to break rules, time and time again" and "because of your attitude within runescape". WTF DOES THAT HAVE TO DO WITH REAL WORLD TRADING?!! sorry for the caps lol. but the first one is complete and utter bs, they said i broke it once, not numerous times...

That's their auto-responce to a denied appeal. You should send a complaint instead of appealing anyway.

Retired High Leader of the Great Titans

linesig3bv2.jpg

DK: Dragon axe x55, Zerker x40, Warrior x44

GWD: Bandos hilt x2,Bandos plate x8,Bandos tassets x3, Bandos boots x 2, Armadyl helm x2, Armadyl hilt x1, Saradomin sword x3

Dragon drops: d chain x3, d left half x3, d legs x4, d skirt x2, d claws x6

I think old blackmarks should be removed after a while, but only for some rules(especially rule 1). Jagex needs to loosen up with rule 1. Half the rule 1 reports are simply typos.

transcript80:

read the above. Not all people who break rule 1 do so on purpose.

I actually think swearing should be allowed in runescape to some extent. People swear in RL as well, learn to deal with it. If you can't take minor insults, chances are you're too young to be playing the game. Go play club penguin or something, kids.

Seriously, Jagex needs to stop pampering all the 10yr old kids on rs.

newbankofrsyq0.gif

All against the new updates, don't log in!

But I want to play... What if I log in, but put all my chats on 'off' so they don't know I'm on.

I can't agree with this, especially the Rule 1 argument.

People (myself included) utter the occasional expletive when surprised or angry. To actually type it out shows more premeditation, thinking about what you're doing before doing it.

Having a "statute of limitations" will only allow serial rule-breakers a way back. Yes I've heard the saying "people can change", I've also heard the saying "a leopard doesn't change its spots"!!

Don't break the rules - simple as.

Teeg

The censor should block away typos. Sure, it doesn' t always work, but if you LOOK at what you type, then there's much less chance to make a typo.

So, swearing (if that includes WTF and so on) doesn't bother me in person, but it IS against the rules. There are 1001 ways to type the "f-word" and people abuse it " to be cool". Let them be punished/ warned. Actually, a black mark is already a warning, since you don't get perm-banned right away in most cases.

As for the people who have gotten black marks when " they were hacked": that is not JaGEx' fault. You should have proper measures installed to prevent that. You can't drive a car when you don't have a licence. If you are 13 years old and know nothing of computer security (to some degree) don't blame JaGEx for your incompetence in the case you get hacked.

transcript80.png

Other data was removed when acoount got hacked...

Personally I think it is easy to avoid getting black marks or bans, if somebody says something to you that you disagree with just hold your tongue. You can't really do anything within the rules to teach them a lesson, because well structured arguments flash over the heads of most arrogant players. It is much better just to walk away (or teleport :P).

However I think Jagex needs to stop being so careless about giving people bans for things they haven't done, or for things that are clearly jokes. They should be taking more time over looking into reports, I think it is a lack of care more than anything that is making mods trigger happy with the ban hammer.

Haha, true.

But I'm mainly concerned about offensive language. It is over-reported and often players are unjustly marked when customer support simply doesn't understand what happened.

How can they truly judge when they weren't there?

they get a transcript of whats going on everytime you click that report button, they know whats going on.

img.cfm?img=41871

Yeah...Some people just go out of their way to ruin other peoples fun.
Sounds like Jagex to me...

Haha, true.

But I'm mainly concerned about offensive language. It is over-reported and often players are unjustly marked when customer support simply doesn't understand what happened.

How can they truly judge when they weren't there?

they get a transcript of whats going on everytime you click that report button, they know whats going on.

Transcript isn't always enough. My friend got .1 of a black mark... the transcript looked like this:

Friend: What?

-------------: 300k

Friend: Go away!

-------------: 300k!

Friend: Go away you f-ing noob!

And he got a blackmark for the "f-ing". What Jagex didn't get was the person asking for 200k for his item, my friend offering 200k, then the seller declining and asking for 300k. Then he followed my friend for 2 minutes before this conversation occured.

A 1 minute transcript isn't sufficient.

No, I still feel that Jagex has been fair and rather just in their implementation of the rules. People should not go about swearing or scamming and getting themselves reported. I have not swore (or scammed) a SINGLE time in RuneScape since I joined last year.

Although your suggestion to allow the oldest black marks to be removed is rather feasible, people may again yet have a relapse and go back to their original ways. So I suggest Jagex implement HEAVIER penalties upon those who break the same rule (e.g. Rule 1) again, like for example giving them 2 black marks instead of just 1. It would deter would-be bad-mouthed people and other noobs.

I do like the solution of having heavier punishment for breaking a rule again. It makes sense. People surely would be less likely to break a rule this way.

picture7eo0.png

A few people also seem to be confused with what my main point was. I don't want people getting their black marks removed if they were originally gained from breaking rules like scamming or autoing. That would be wrong. I reiterate that I am focusing only on offensive language. People can be forgiven for this, but not for hurting others through lying, steeling and cheating.

People who get black marks for reasons such as scamming and autoing deserve them, and they also deserve them for offensive language if at the time of breaking the rule, they really meant verbal offense to their victim, and if the victim was actually offended. But even so, this can eventually be forgiven, I believe.

picture7eo0.png

How about this....

(Blackmarks/2)*total black mark count= months you hold them

This way if you have 4 lackmarks, theyll expire 2 months. The more you get, the longer it takes the blackmakrs to epire. But if they expire and before you had say 5, then it would take 20 months. This would balance it out a bit more.

And also make it so you can never get less than about 10% or 20% of yout total black marks (all blackmarks you have ever gotten) so that even if you break a load of laws, it will take longer and longer and longer to get rid of them. So if you had 10 toal blacksmarks, you cant get less than 1 black mark, and if you had 20, you cant get less than 2 and so on and so forth.

I for one haven't commited a single offense in 3 years, and still carry 8 blackmarks aquired from when I just started playing. I will admit though, some people may abuse it, but for the most part those equations would help a bunch.

"Stupid is smart you dumb n00b." - noob in lumbridge