My School Grades are Plummeting - but why?!

megakiller32

The sad thing about these people is that when they get out into the real world, they will be f..., royaly. They haven't a clue about life. No life experiences. They are from 'perfect' families, which is lucky for them, but if getting a low, or lower than average grade is enough to upset them then they are going to get a real kick in the teeth later in life.

Don't asume that, eh? I admit, it was weird to come crying to an online forum, but I was the same way. My family was "perfect", but everything else sucked and I needed up experiencing more by 15 then many do by 30. All that time though, I refused to accept anything lower than an A. Anything below is failure and I'd work harder to pick it up.

My advice to this guy, is to see what they got wrong and analyze, get extra help, and improve. Also, unless you like being insulted by the TIF, don't make a topic like this again. :P

Cowards can't block Warriors.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If I got a B on an exam I'd be ecstatic. I make like 1 B and the rest C's on my exams, I do all my homework but I'm a terrible test taker, no matter how much I study I'll never make above a B on an exam (they are usually low B's too, 80-85)

Also, how is a 79% a B+? Isn't it a C+?

Dunno what grading scale you go for, but 50%is a pass here, so 50-59=D

60-69=C,70-79=B, 80-100=A.

Getting an A is harder in the first place, so they make the scale wider for (-A)- (+A)

mergedliongr0xe9.gif

Sig by Ikurai

Your Guide to Posting! Behave or I will send my Moose mounted Beaver launchers at you!

Reb, how can you even get a 6 GPA? O.o

Eh, I've seen it mentioned it general, something stupid about AP Classes and honors classes giving massive bonuses to GPA at someone's school. It's really bull for the most part.

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

Getting an A is harder in the first place, so they make the scale wider for (-A)- (+A)

Wow. Our grading system really screws us. . . A is 93-100. And 69 or below is a fail. It's a seven-point scale for the grades in between. There is also a ten-point scale, but I don't see it used as widely.

I would have an A in math if I was on your system. . . I have A's in all my other classes, but math sucks >.<

p2gq.jpg

You need to get your head straight. When I hit middle school, I almost completely failed the 6th grade. In the 7th grade, I didn't do much better. This year I'm determined to excel. But we always have our downfalls. Either something happens to us, and we become emotional, or you just choose not to do anything. It happened to me about 4 weeks ago. My grandfather died of suffocation. It has left deep scars. But I was determined to not let it bring me down, but instead, inspire me.

Sorry for the dramatic post. I feel quite exalted >.>

Eh, I've seen it mentioned it general, something stupid about AP Classes and honors classes giving massive bonuses to GPA at someone's school. It's really bull for the most part.

Yes. It is really bull to give someone more credit for taking college level classes when his/her peers are taking base high school classes. :roll:

6.0 comes with a weighted average. The weighted GPA takes into account honors and AP classes. In an honors class, a "B" is a normal 3.0, and counts as a weighted 4.0. (Honors you add 1, AP you add 2. I.E. a "C" in an AP class is the equivalent to an "A" in a normal class, and a "B" in an honors class.)

Weighted GPA is never shown by itself. On college applications, your normal GPA is shown, and then weighted GPA IS SOMETIMES shown. This is not "bull". It is showing you were in a much higher class.

"The greatest joy a man can know is to conquer his enemies and drive them before him. To ride their horses and take away their possessions. To see the faces of those who were dear to them bedewed with tears, and to clasp their wives and daughters in his arms."

-Genghis Khan

Wow. Our grading system really screws us. . . A is 93-100. And 69 or below is a fail. It's a seven-point scale for the grades in between. There is also a ten-point scale, but I don't see it used as widely.

I would have an A in math if I was on your system. . . I have A's in all my other classes, but math sucks >.<

We use a 10 point system at my school. I would have all A's and a B in Spanish if I were at your school. Instead I have 2 A's, 3 B's, and a C.

Yes. It is really bull to give someone more credit for taking college level classes when his/her peers are taking base high school classes. :roll:

6.0 comes with a weighted average. The weighted GPA takes into account honors and AP classes. In an honors class, a "B" is a normal 3.0, and counts as a weighted 4.0. (Honors you add 1, AP you add 2. I.E. a "C" in an AP class is the equivalent to an "A" in a normal class, and a "B" in an honors class.)

Weighted GPA is never shown by itself. On college applications, your normal GPA is shown, and then weighted GPA IS SOMETIMES shown. This is not "bull". It is showing you were in a much higher class.

At my highschool AP classes and GATE classes (for freshmen) are all worth 1 extra point, and that is our normal GPA. So if I were to take all AP classes, I could have a 5.0 as my "normal" GPA.

It's a vicious cycle, what happens is you did worse than what you expected and because you only get that score instead of the score you desire, unconsciously you make yourself study to the score you obtained.

For example, say you feel you really deserved an A but you got a B+, it will lower your ability unconsciously. Unconsciously you will feel that you're only worth a B+ so for the next test, you will only study to a B+ level, then you may only get a B on the next test and the cycle continues and spirals down hill, it is very common in people who have high expectations.

Don't ever think you're not good enough because you are what you think (within logical reason).

What I would like you to do is to accept your score and know within yourself you will do better next time and allow yourself more study time or reading than you had done to obtain your B+.

I think you did an amazing job and believe you have the ability to get back up there.

You need to take Z scores (from exam correlations) in to consideration in this circumstance. Perhaps you only received a B+ because of the degree of difficulty of the exam paper? Ask your teacher what the average score was for your exam so you can find out how many standard deviations above or below the mean you actually scored. You may find that even though you received 79% you may have scored higher than 79% of the class.

Let the B+ be a reminder that no one can be perfect, trying to be perfect only leads to you finding more imperfections, which then leads you to question your abilities. You don't ever want to do that because it's all down hill from there, that I promise you.

Take it from someone who's been there, graduated in the top 15% of the state, then entirely bombed out.

igoddessIsig.png

The only people who tell you that you can't do something are those who have already given up on their own dreams so feel the need to discourage yours.

It's an attempt at grade padding, and a bad one at that. You want to know good grade padding? A school in my area, a public school, and not exactly a top notch intelligient one, holds a GPA average for the entire student body of non-weight 3.5, all thanks to how much faculty works to get their students grades up [without the actual need to work hard with the kids, considering how easily A's are handed out] and get them into good colleges to get a good reputation for the school itself. That's grade-padding.

It's little more than a school board trick. Colleges can get past it generally with rankings and whatnot, but over the years it's warped grades to make them less and less valuable as a measure of a students ability. Not every school does it, but it happens enough and to a high enough degree to cause problems >_>.

If you think you're smart enough to take an AP class, don't expect to get babied with some moronic GPA-padding. If you can't handle being on level-ground with the rest of the school, ya probably shouldn't be in that class in the first place. That's what an AP class is- advanced placement, for those who are supposedly smart enough and driven enough to do well in the harder classes.

That, and colleges can see from your transcript that you were in a higher class, so I fail to understand what the need for a weighted GPA is based on your argument :| .

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

For example- Im great at French, im doing my GCSE a year early, however i only got 79% (Which is a B+)

...Lucky. 79% is a low C where I am. B+s don't start til 90. Feel very lucky.

On another note. Perhaps you should try dictating more time to studying in some form or fashion? I barely study at all myself, but for my style I find doing studying and other assignments at the last minute ingrains it into my memory.

Hevendor_Guy.png

rsdeadzm5.png

There's cake through here, apparently.

GPA - Grade point average.

It differs between states and countries.

igoddessIsig.png

The only people who tell you that you can't do something are those who have already given up on their own dreams so feel the need to discourage yours.

After the above posts, I have come to the conclusion that either Americans hide their intelligence and are super children, or your work is much easier then ours....

*Thx goddess, I guess that kind of gives me the meaning of it, but we dont have a GPA here, so im still in the dark about it. Like what is the scale or w/e.

mergedliongr0xe9.gif

Sig by Ikurai

Your Guide to Posting! Behave or I will send my Moose mounted Beaver launchers at you!

A = 4

B = 3

C = 2

D = 1

E = 0

Those are the GPA scores. You average them out. It's pretty hard getting a 3.5+. Lion, if a 79% is D in VA, and B in England, which one would seem harder?

I live in Canada >.<

And I dont know, that logic dosen't dictate which is harder.

What would determine which is harder, is the number of people passing . If more people are passing with the 69?% pass line in America, then the 50% in Canada, It would mean the American work is easier.(or you guys are super children with excellent IQ's).

Take for example the english course I'm in now. People are happy if they even get a 65% on any of our work.

mergedliongr0xe9.gif

Sig by Ikurai

Hmmm.

You probably shouldn't worry about it, if you're serious about getting A's then you will, especially if you always get them.

I have about an 85% average, with my marks in English often being lower than my other marks and I just accept that I'm not as good in that area.

I live in Canada too :P

So got no clue what half of you are talking about.

A = 4

B = 3

C = 2

D = 1

E = 0

Those are the GPA scores. You average them out. It's pretty hard getting a 3.5+. Lion, if a 79% is D in VA, and B in England, which one would seem harder?

Are you sure 79% is a D? I'm from one of the tougher counties in terms of GPA scales, and that's actually a high C.

94-100: A

90-93: B+

84-89: B

80-83: C+

74-79: C

70-73: D+

64-69: D

0-63: F

To the OP: Relax, it happens to even the best of us. Just remember that when you start working, what's important is the knowledge you have, not the grade.

cescsig.jpg

After the above posts, I have come to the conclusion that either Americans hide their intelligence and are super children, or your work is much easier then ours....

*Thx goddess, I guess that kind of gives me the meaning of it, but we dont have a GPA here, so im still in the dark about it. Like what is the scale or w/e.

For example QLD Bachelor of Behavioural Science with 4th year honours:

1, 2 = fail

3 = low pass

4 = pass

5 = credit

6 = distinction

7 = high distinction

Say you have 4 units for that semester.

So I may have a drug course which is equal to 1 unit, then a counselling and psychotherapies course, which is equal to the 2nd unit, a biology class which is the 3rd unit and a pure mathematics class, which makes up my 4th and final unit.

Within those units, you will have percentage weights. For example, you may have one mid year exam worth 25% of your final semester grade, 5% for research participation, 40% on written research report and final exam worth 30% of the final grade. This allows people who scored a low grade in one of those percentage weights, to pull their socks up and get a high grade in one of the higher ranked percentage weights.

When marking an assignment paper it will mark you out of 10 for each requirement. For example: "Use of references and adherence to guidelines" and "structure and topic selection" etc

It will most likely be out of 100.

25 marks or below = a 1 (refer back to 1-7 GPA scale)

26-46 marks = 2

47-49 marks = 3

50-64 marks = 4

65 - 74 marks = 5

75 - 84 marks = 6

85+ marks = 7

Exams will be out of percentage of questions and what you got right.

So say at the end of that semester in the drugs unit I got a 7 (high distinction), in counselling a 7 (high distinction), a 6 in biology (distinction) and another 7 (high distinction) in math...

I then add 7, 7, 6 and 7. That comes to a score of 27... 27 divided by 4 scores = a grade point average of 6.75.

Therefore, overall that semesters GPA is a distinction overall.

I hope that kind of helps you understand what the scale is.

igoddessIsig.png

You'll have to relax. Talk to your family. Listen to jokes. Quiet yourself down. You'll won't appreciate it if you are going crazy over stress at exams. It can cause seizure. Of course, you'll would love to do your revision together with your friends if you are living in dormitories. I can only do my revision by myself. None of my family members know what the heck i was saying when i ask them questions. My mother and father are not educated. My brother isn't very good at english and maths. My sister isn't even at home all the time. So, you can count yourself lucky if you are in a educated family which knows english. Take care. Don't go too stressful after exams. Be optimistic.

What's 7+11?

If my finger is a spear, and it's wriggling, what is it?

Answer1: seven-eleven

Answer 2: Shakespears. No offense.

What the hell is with this forum and fulfilling the stereotype of the introverted nerd who cries whenever he gets a B and spends the rest of time boasting about his 6.0 GPA? Maybe not so much in the OT as in General, but whenever there's any kind of discussion about grades, it's hard finding someone on the thread who doesn't fulfill the stereotype, in it's entirety.

It's annoying. Really annoying.

You, sir, need to get an F on something. It'd do you some frikkin' good.

Were you bullied at school or something? he's only asking for help...

Maybe you're stressing out too much, megakiller32. Exams are a stressful time and cramming is what you don't want to do. Instead, take a lot of breaks, enjoy yourself, but still do all your revision, and most importantly figure out what you need to revise the most. You'll find that you'll do fine in life with B's - if it means that much to you to get higher grades, find ways to revise that arn't reading out of books. Try BBC Bitesize, they're great, loads of games and different kinds of revision materials to help you do your best.

logo.jpg