Is God real post your thoughts!

Joes_So_Cool

No. There is no need for me to 'admit' anything. I see some creation idea as possible but I outlined why I question it and see it as a pretty empty idea with current knowledge (basically any 'answer' here is unsatisfying to me - I'm always left with questions rather than answers). To frame those questions, you have to inevitably treat the idea as if it were real. I was basically hypothesising.

You make it sound like God is only relevant to creation and that I only believe in God to fill the gaps in the origin of the universe. It smells like a straw-man.

I presented more my views of god, not yours. I view god in this way, sorry if it came across that I said these were your views.

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes God is real considering what i believe

he gets me through tough times

he helps me when im afraid

he sets guidelines and rules for me to follow

and most of all he gives me an understanding for unexplainable things in ways science and all other religions can't

452436.jpg

In the time of peace prepare for war-General Patton

Dsk805 lvl 139 6* mage

Blink182lover lvl 100 7* mage

Founder and Current clan leader of: PunkRock Lovers(rank#4)

and most of all he gives me an understanding for unexplainable things in ways science and all other religions can't

Methinks you havn't studied world religions very much :-w .

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

BlueLancer's

So how can you tell a child Santa claus or toothfairy actually does not exist (just because they 'can't be seen'), but a God does?

Santa Claus? Tooth fairy?! I mean, really, for a mod to say those things, it's just weird. First off, you don't talk to a child about religion unless he has the right mind to understand the whole concept. Second, Santa Claus and the "tooth fairy" are made up by parents for god knows what. So really, Santa Claus and the tooth fairy are not related with God 'cause they are imaginary. You can't say that about God as 7 billion people believe in Him with seriousness and not for amusement. Please don't twist my words or change the subject. (Thanks Unoalexi)

BlueLancer's

Says, or proves who? The Bible? Do you really believe the humans who have written every single letter of the Bible were somehow in direct contact with God?

Why, all of a sudden, is this "direct contact" impossible in the year 2007?

Please don't assume that I'm Christian. For the record, I'm with Islam, though Christianity and Islam are somewhat loosely related to each other.

God has mentioned in the Bible and the Quran that the end of the world has begun as soon as His messengers were dead. Why, of all reasons, did the Bible and the Quran exist? To guide the followers until the Day of Judgement arrives, of course, and lead them to the right path. (In other words, the book replaces the messengers as guidance.) So this means that "direct contact" is no longer possible as soon as the books were made.

BlueLancer's

However, hallucinatory experiences especially related to religion, are in modern medicine treated as psychosis or schitzophrenia. What is to say Muhammad or Jesus were not affected by that disease?

Why can't you seem to grasp the concept that [NOT ALL] "hallucinatory experiences" are caused by mental illnesses? Again, you are changing the subject by saying that religions are merely "caused by mental illnesses".

BlueLancer's

What proof, archaeological or factual, is there to support any of the people in history (thousands of people) who claimed to speak with God were not under the influence of a disease?

So, are you saying that all the people who made contact with God are suffering from some sort of disease? But then again, I don't see any proof of them having suffered from mental illnesses either. Hence, it is suffice to say that they may or may not be suffering from mental illnesses at all.

BlueLancer's

What I dismiss is their supposed "supernatural powers" which could've been

1. Tricks

2. Hallucinations

3. Totally made up

Have you not come to the fact that it may not be any of the factors you've mentioned?

People once said that earth was flat. It's proven wrong. Earth in the middle of the universe? Wrong again. Impossible to break the lightspeed barrier? Yeah, right. Scientists have broke the lightspeed barrier in their labs, on a sub-atomic level. God not real? Well, it's just a matter of time before that one dies too... 8-)

It's just stunning what humans can do with their reasonable doubts. :roll:

[oh man... come on.. i didnt do that bad to your modesty... and i was drunk! you were not! you took advantage of me... wildernessfreelancer!]

Yep, that's what they'll always say, LoL.

People once said that earth was flat. It's proven wrong. Earth in the middle of the universe? Wrong again. Impossible to break the lightspeed barrier? Yeah, right. Scientists have broke the lightspeed barrier in their labs, on a sub-atomic level. God not real? Well, it's just a matter of time before that one dies too... 8-)

It's just stunning what humans can do with their reasonable doubts. :roll:

I said I'll post later but I'm just sick of these posts. You can't prove God with science. And you never will. How exactly will scientists prove "Oh well, it seems God is real after all? How is it justified to compare a supernatural existance with flat earth, lightspeed barriers, etc..?

That logic makes no sense, flat Earth and "Earth being the middle of universe" were ideas proposed by organized religion in the first place. That would mean the opposite; That science will next come up with positive evidence a God's existence is false too.

Second, Santa Claus and the "tooth fairy" are made up by parents for god knows what. So really, Santa Claus and the tooth fairy are not related with God 'cause they are imaginary. You can't say that about God as 7 billion people believe in Him with seriousness and not for amusement.

And God is made up by humans whom you heard the story from. The world has 6.5 billion people and they all definitely don't believe in the abrahamic God.

Why bother arguing when your only argument is that coming from an appeal to popularity? Please, do read Argumentum ad populum and then read your post.

An argumentum ad populum (Latin: "appeal to the people"), in logic, is a fallacious argument that concludes a proposition to be true because many or all people believe it; it alleges that "If many believe so, it is so."

Examples of illogical argument ad populum

Since 88% of the people polled believed in UFOs, they must exist.

Since citizens have to pay taxes and are ruled by the government, the state must be a judicial reasoned and rightful institution.

Since most of the world believes in God, He must exist.

Since most people in the world eat meat, there are no ethical issues involved in meat-eating.

Just because a large people of number decide to believe in anything which is not proven, doesn't make it true! I don't know how hard that could be to understand. Just because islam has about 1.3 billion followers, doesn't make it any more "true" than the Falun Gong religious movement, the Hare Krishna or a tribal african religion with 100,000 followers.

So, are you saying that all the people who made contact with God are suffering from some sort of disease?

By stating that, you automatically make the assumption "some people must have made contact with God". Ever since visual methods of recording have existed, there are absolutely *no* cases of recorded supernatural activity.

Your only proof is a book, which by popularity does not gain authoritative scientific evidence, just as the Lord of the Rings doesn't even if it's read by 200 million people. Heck, even LOTR is based on some historical facts and real scandinavian folklore. Just like the Bible/Qur'an have some real historical events (which are for example supported by contemporary roman historians), and lots of fiction.

It would be good if insane/other christians/muslims/hindus/buddhists/etc. posted on this, because I'm not disagreeing with the idea of God existing/your right to believe in God.

I'm saying there is absolutely no way you can prove God or any other thing which is not in existence, hence I don't see why my Santa Claus (or the infamous Flying Spaghetti Monster) examples are irrational. They fully comply with logic based on empirical evidence and the scientific method of acquiring proof.

BlueLancer's

You can't prove God with science. And you never will.

How can you be so sure that God and Science are not related? It seems that you know heck-of-a-lot-more about God than I do, by saying that in this quote. I mean, is there even evidence that science cannot prove God exists? What I said in my last post (near the end) is about proving that nothing is impossible. Don't forget, people once said that exceeding lightspeed is impossible. Now, that statement is brutally killed as there is hard evidence to prove them wrong. My point is not that God and Science are related or not, but about proving that the impossible is possible. :wall: That the unexplained will be explained in time.

BlueLancer's

That science will next come up with positive evidence a God's existence is false too.

What if scientists have found a way to prove the existence of God? They have already prove that the Afterlife and the Soul exists. What, you want to wait for the end of the world to believe God exists? Well, it would be too late then....

BlueLancer's

And God is made up by humans whom you heard the story from. The world has 6.5 billion people and they all definitely don't believe in the abrahamic God.

How can you be so sure that humans created God? It would be more plausible to say that they spread the message that God exists

, from time immemorial (a few thousand years back, maybe?) Surely, the "story of God", as you've assumed, wouldn't survive for centuries. So the fact is: God does exist. Not because it's "popular with the people", but because it's a fact. And I'm talking about God in general, not the abrahamic one, so , yes, 6.5 billion people believe in God in general.

You just can't dismiss the fact just because the majority of the people believe in them and it's not proven yet, because it will be proven sooner or later. (Like I said, a matter of time.)

By the way, I saw the UFO thing, and I can only say that they exist as well. (Most of them are hoaxes, but some of them just cannot be dismissed as a hoax because it contains genuine hard evidence.)

BlueLancer's

Why bother arguing when your only argument is that coming from an appeal to popularity? Please, do read Argumentum ad populum and then read your post.

Why do you always make assumptions? I'm not appealing to popularity, the numbers are just statistics. The argumentum- Latin- thingy? That's just an excuse to hinder us from the facts. Is it wrong for the majority of the people to believe in something that is credible?

BlueLancer's

Just because a large people of number decide to believe in anything which is not proven, doesn't make it true!

How, then, is the concept of God alive after all these centuries? Like I said, just because something is not proven yet, it does not make it untrue.

BlueLancer's

Your only proof is a book, which by popularity does not gain authoritative scientific evidence

Yes, right now the proof is all in the book. Of course, there is no scientific evidence towards the unknown. (Coincidence, ghosts, OBE) And right now, the book is classified in the unknown section, by scientific terms.

BlueLancer's

I'm saying there is absolutely no way you can prove God or any other thing which is not in existence

How can you be so sure that God does not exist? By scientific means, yes, it is impossible to prove God's existence at the moment. If you think rationally, all you need to do is to give it time for some hard evidence to appear.

BlueLancer's

hence I don't see why my Santa Claus (or the infamous Flying Spaghetti Monster) examples are irrational.

You're kidding, right? :uhh: The only factor that separates God from other nonsensical fairy-tale characters you've mentioned is that the fairy creatures are made up by people (including you and you're noodle-monster thingy) and that they are made in the present.Who are you to say that people "created" God? Do you even have any evidence without relating to creatures made up by the human mind? And the concept of God goes back a long, long time ago. Who are you to say that the people in the past "made up God" and that story survives until today, somehow for some absurd reason? The thing is, it can't survive. The only reason why people believe in God from the past until today is because He is real. People are not stupid enough to believe in creatures made up by the human mind, which proves that God is not made up by humans.

BlueLancer's

They fully comply with logic based on empirical evidence and the scientific method of acquiring proof.

Do you know what's inside the Black Hole in space, after you've passed the event horizon? The answer is: No. Heck, even scientists don't know what happens after passing through that point. They even claim that it defies logic to even think what might be inside it after that point.

(The event horizon refers to the point that things can no longer be observed by the observer as the particles are traveling faster than the speed of light, and we need light to see, or observe things.)

[oh man... come on.. i didnt do that bad to your modesty... and i was drunk! you were not! you took advantage of me... wildernessfreelancer!]

What if scientists have found a way to prove the existence of God? They have already prove that the Afterlife and the Soul exists. What, you want to wait for the end of the world to believe God exists? Well, it would be too late then....

I just couldn't reply past this point. There is no point in arguing with a person who genuinely believes scientists have proven the "afterlife" and "soul" are in existance.

I wish you luck in your college philosophy debates, you'll really need it.

People are not stupid enough to believe in creatures made up by the human mind, which proves that God is not made up by humans.

So you think all the millions of Gods that exist (including the roman gods that people worshipped for over 800 years) were all real and 'not made up by humans'?

In medical science/human psychology, it's been known for ages even small children create imaginary friends and believe they exist... This phenomenon isn't limited to kids though, it also affects adults. Some even have to go to a therapist later on.

The term imaginary friend ordinarily refers to such characters created by children, but the same phenomenon is observable in adults. The inventor will act as if the imaginary being is physically present by talking to it, playing with it, or even attempting to feed it. If told that the friend is non-existent, the inventor will often retaliate in a defensive manner by stating that the imaginary friend is invisible, or in some cases questioning the vision of the person.

You're so full of misinformation and brainwashed blind following of whatever you have been told. You could learn a lot from rational religiously devoted people such as Insane.

Not that you'll listen, but maybe you will after some fellow muslims here post to show how you put muslims in a bad light with posts like that.

"People are not stupid enough to believe creations of human mind"

Have you been living under a rock?

Heaven's Gate

Heaven's Gate was the name of an American religious group led by Marshall Applewhite and Bonnie Nettles. The group's end coincided with the appearance of Comet Hale-Bopp in 1997. Applewhite convinced thirty-eight followers to commit suicide so that their souls could take a ride on a spaceship that they believed was hiding behind the comet carrying Jesus. Such beliefs have led some observers to characterize the group as a type of "UFO religion."[1] They believed that the planet Earth was about to be recycled (wiped clean, refurbished and rejuvenated), and that the only chance to survive was to leave it immediately.[2] The group was formally against suicide, but they defined "suicide" to mean "to turn against the Next Level when it is being offered."[3] They were convinced that their "human" bodies were only "vehicles" meant to help them on their journey.

People will believe ANYTHING if the perpetrator is convincing enough. I don't think you just quite understand how gullible people are. If the person is a skilled manipulator, such as Hitler, he will gain even a whole nation to follow his ideas.

*Sigh*..... I'm left speechless (and tired) reading your imaginary friend thing. It's like saying "Hey there, people! Meet Jesus, my imaginary friend! He's standing beside me, to the left."

My dear BlueLancer, have you ever been in a situation where not even science and rationality can explain what you're feeling, or seeing? 8-)

My dear BlueLancer, have you ever been in a situation where not even science and rationality can explain what you're feeling, or seeing? 8-)

Nope, not once at all. Mind giving me one of your personal examples? (Other than the stock answer of 'miracle healing' or 'I was feeling down, then I realized Jesus can open my heart')

Alternatively, don't tell me, send it to James Randi at http://www.randi.org/

If you can prove you have supernatural abilities or can communicate with Gods, he will offer you $1 million which is already deposited in a bank account, waiting to be cashed out.

You also didn't reply to my post at all. Please, do give me a source where a scientist says "soul" and "afterlife" are proven facts. You implied that, I'm waiting.

*Sigh*..... I'm left speechless (and tired) reading your imaginary friend thing. It's like saying "Hey there, people! Meet Jesus, my imaginary friend! He's standing beside me, to the left."

:wall: I think thats why your having such a hard time understanding..

He's on the right side. :mrgreen:

If you love me, send me a PM.

8 - Love me

2 - Hate me

Wildernessfreelancer:

The misstatements of fact and fallacies in your post are atrocious.

Nothing has been proven to travel faster than the speed of light.

The idea that there is an 'afterlife' or a 'soul' has not been proven and can not be by scientific means.

That you deduce god exists from the idea's pervasion through time is erroneous and an argument ad populum fallacy.

The world's population is roughly 6.5 billion. There are roughly 780 million Hindus (obviously focused in India) and 300 million Buddhists in the world. Neither of these two religions have what you would call an ordinary god-belief.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_religious_groups

Just because you say a popular idea will be proven sooner or later dosen't make it so. There is no way of proving the existance of a supernatural entity by natural means.

You're right, just because something is unproven dosen't make it untrue, yet the inverse is also the case - just because something is unproven (or should I say unfalsified?) dosen't give you artistic licence to claim it's true.

There is no such scientific term as the 'unknown section' and if an idea in this 'unknown section' happens to be unfalsifiable or unverifiable by natural means, then it's not a scientific concern.

You dismissing BlueLancer's Santa Claus/FSM examples on the basis of them not having been around as long as the god idea is an appeal to the time an idea has been around. The more time an idea lasts (and the more popular it gets) does not equal the more true it gets.

An event horizon is not unobservable because it's particles travel faster than light, it's because light itself can not escape the black hole's gravitational pull, especially at the event horizon.

BlueLancer's

I just couldn't reply past this point. There is no point in arguing with a person who genuinely believes scientists have proven the "afterlife" and "soul" are in existance.

And, yes scientists have proven that the afterlife and the soul exists, since you really wanted scientific evidence. It's just a matter of believing it or not. And right now, you're just denying the truth because you can't accept it.

BlueLancer's

I wish you luck in your college philosophy debates, you'll really need it.

For the record, I don't believe in luck, so I'll take that as a saying. Well, I'm not in college at the moment as I'm only 15..

BlueLancer's

So you think all the millions of Gods that exist (including the roman gods that people worshipped for over 800 years) were all real and 'not made up by humans'?

Ok, you got me there. Right now, I'm just feeling stupid. Let's take it this way: Zeus, "god of lightning", does not exist as it is proven by scientific evidence that lightning is made up charges. Poseidon, "god of the sea" does not exist as scientific evidence shows that waves are made by winds. Omg, I can go on proving that all of them are false. But the point is that some gods are not yet proven with scientific evidence to be false. Do.....you....understaaand... the wordsss.... that... are... coming.... out... of... my.... mouth?!

BlueLancer's

You're so full of misinformation and brainwashed blind following of whatever you have been told. You could learn a lot from rational religiously devoted people such as Insane.

*Sigh*... religions do not have to be rational.. because some things in life cannot be explained rationally. I mean, I can dream the future, where's the rationality in that?

BlueLancer's

Not that you'll listen, but maybe you will after some fellow muslims here post to show how you put muslims in a bad light with posts like that.

Yeah, I'd like to see that coming..... 8-)

*Sigh*... religions do not have to be rational.. because some things in life cannot be explained rationally. I mean, I can dream the future, where's the rationality in that?

This guy is a troll. I feel like an idiot I actually tried replying to him, lol.

warri0r45's

Nothing has been proven to travel faster than the speed of light.

Dude, seriously, your statement is an absolute insult to scientists worldwide.

Here's a link to one of many proofs that it is possible to break lightspeed barrier http://frontiersciences.spaces.live.com/Blog/cns!A1E4CC21DE41A7DD!169.entry

warri0r45's

The idea that there is an 'afterlife' or a 'soul' has not been proven and can not be by scientific means.

No, really, you're insulting Science. Bigtime. 8-)

warri0r45's

That you deduce god exists from the idea's pervasion through time is erroneous and an argument ad populum fallacy.

And WHO are you to say that? can you give me evidence that my statement is false? :roll:

warri0r45's

light itself can not escape the black hole's gravitational pull, especially at the event horizon.

Yes, that is another factor that prevents the observer from seeing the core of the black hole. :wall:

BlueLancer's

This guy is a troll. I feel like an idiot I actually tried replying to him, lol.

Why, thank you. Actually, I've realized that I'm not trying to convince atheists to convert. Everything I said was just based on my opinion. You know what? People have their own beliefs, and I respect that, because people will want to think that what they believe in is right. So, for now, those posts are just based on my opinion. Please don't post me back anymore. And I sincerely apologize for any offense that I may have caused. No, really. I mean that. Hey where are you going?! Come back here!! :ohnoes:

Dude, seriously, your statement is an absolute insult to scientists worldwide.

Here's a link to one of many proofs that it is possible to break lightspeed barrier http://frontiersciences.spaces.live.com/Blog/cns!A1E4CC21DE41A7DD!169.entry

This just keeps getting funnier.. Maybe there's some entertainment to be gained from this guy.. :lol:

The claim by 2 german scientists that said they could overpass the speed of light has been debunked already a few days after they made their ridiculous claim.

But hey, according to you, a claim by 2 german nutjobs makes it a scientific fact. Also, God exists because you say he does (or can you even prove it's a He, not a female?)

Everything I said was just based on my opinion. You know what? People have their own beliefs, and I respect that, because people will want to think that what they believe in is right.

You know what? Science is based on universal, proven facts. Facts are not what I or you believe to be right. They are what have been proven right by the scientific method and empirical evidence.

By saying everything you just wrote was based on your opinions, you admitted you were just pitting "your word against mine". You can't disprove science, or prove God, with words. Just as I can't prove a blue apple exists by words that have no scientific backing.

I've realized that I'm not trying to convince atheists to convert.

Good for you, I'm not an atheist. As a matter of fact I was baptized by a priest at birth in a church. I still don't rule out the possibility of any god's existence.

I just find it funny when people like you think they have conclusive proof "I know God exists because a book said so, and everyone else is wrong" with nothing backing up your words other than your personal 'belief'.

Anyone who says religion is "complete and utter rubbish" is either a) too young to properly think for themselves, or B) hasn't study the topic at all, or both.

Me, I'm more keen to Eastern Religion (Buddhism for it's depth, Confucianism and Taoism for their insightful teachings, Zen for it's training, etc.), as the vast majority of it focuses nearly completely on the here and now, a vast contrast to much of the Western [and primal] religions. Yes, familiarity does breed contempt, so I've got that influencing me, but [world] religions as a whole, when examined holistically and with an unbiased viewpoint, give us valuable insights into understanding both ourselves and the world we live in :) .

Eastern religions are somewhat overlooked on these forums. Most often we end up with an atheism vs Christianity debate. It's probably because most people here are either atheists or Christian.

I guess the question "Is God real?" doesn't stop with a yes or no answer. If your answer is yes, you won't necessarily know which God is the right one. Instead you'll have a bunch of religions to choose from. And if your answer is no, you could still be religious since there are religions such as Buddhism which are non-theistic.

A thing that kind of bugs me is that other religions seem to have similar effects on people as Christianity does. Muslims seemingly find comfort in Allah and they are as devoted (if not more) as any Christian. However, I think the key is Jesus. Almost everyone would agree that he really existed. The task is to find out who he was and what he actually did.

untitledyw7.png

No, god doesn't exist.

Sure told us why, didn't ya.

If the god exists, then explain why the infants die at birth, what did they do to deserve death so quickly, and why didn't god do something?

By the way I seriously cba to argue about something so obvious, it's like arguing about whether the world is flat or not.

Muslims seemingly find comfort in Allah and they are as devoted (if not more) as any Christian. However, I think the key is Jesus. Almost everyone would agree that he really existed. The task is to find out who he was and what he actually did.

Well, practically the God's in islam and christianity are indistinguishable, because 'allah' directly translated to "god" in the english language. Even christians in such countries as Lebanon still call god "Allah" due to the arabic language ("Allah is not bound to one religion, just as God isn't)

And I agree about the Jesus thing. Actually, that's exactly what a religion teacher at my school taught the class (he was a qualified christian theologist).

Nobody with two bits of brains and the capability to conduct research, denies the existence of a personified jewish person called Jesus (Isaiah) who gained a significant following due to this pure, morally feasible teachings that appealed to a lot of the common people. There are conspiracy theories around that too... I'd frankly treat them as the same as the 'zionist new world order' ones.

Indeed the issue is, as you said, did people like Jesus/Muhammad really do all the things mentioned in the Bible, and the crucial question, did they really bend the laws of nature just because a God allowed them to.

Probably everything else, except the parts where Muhammad ascends to the heavens while alive, or Jesus literally feeds a crowd with a handful of food/heals the blind with his hands, is true.

The supernatural parts are up to every person's faith. Sadly not many kinds of religious people are represented on this thread, but not even nearly all christians I talked to believe in any kind of supernatural powers by Jesus. Heck, you're swedish, you'd probably even know priests with this point of view, I spent a part of my childhood in Sweden and it's a very 'neutralized' country where people view things objectively.

You can believe Gautama Buddha recieved divine visions, you can believe Jesus walked on water, you can believe Muhammad spoke with angels...

Just that people should remember they are personal 'beliefs', not universal facts like in science. What sounds true to you, sounds false to a supporter of another religion.

No, god doesn't exist.

If the god exists, then explain why the infants die at birth, what did they do to deserve death so quickly, and why didn't god do something?

By the way I seriously cba to argue about something so obvious, it's like arguing about whether the world is flat or not.

Did u even think of the possibility that god does exist, but he doesn't care about infants dieing?

If he doesn't care about the purest form of innocent human life dying to malnutrition, why on Earth would he care about the prayers and requests of overweight, spoiled western people who wish they had "extra money to buy their kids some presents"? Are presents a necessity for life? Even over giving life to a child who has done nothing to deserve death?

No, god doesn't exist.

Did u even think of the possibility that god does exist, but he doesn't care about infants dieing?

Reality is hundreds of times more beautiful and more interesting than delusions. Fairy tales just tend to be easier to follow than the wonderful intricacies of life.