Is God real post your thoughts!

Joes_So_Cool

My dear BlueLancer, have you ever been in a situation where not even science and rationality can explain what you're feeling, or seeing? 8-)

Nope, not once at all. Mind giving me one of your personal examples?

Have you ever heard of out of body experiences? It's said to be one of the most spiritually enlightening states that you can experience.

I've only just gotten interested in OBEs, so I'm still extremely skeptical, but some of the material I've read so far has been really fascinating.

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Methinks you havn't studied world religions very much :-w

Jumping to condemning conclusions for the win! /sarcasm

Just assuming the General Tip.iter stereotype off his post ::' .

($50 says that if I asked him who K'ung Fu-tzu was, he'd have no idea).

No, god doesn't exist.

Sure told us why, didn't ya.

If the god exists, then explain why the infants die at birth, what did they do to deserve death so quickly, and why didn't god do something?

By the way I seriously cba to argue about something so obvious, it's like arguing about whether the world is flat or not.

Genius!

I am now enlightened! There really can't be a god! It's all so clear to me now!

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

No, I believe there isn't a god, as such. I believe that there is someone/something up there that I sometimes chatter to when I'm feeling doubtful or worried, but I do not believe in a god. My interpretation of a god = better than everyone, has a beard, etc.

Don't believe in Adam and Eve.

Don't believe in Jesus' acts.

Don't believe in the Bible.

Give me Science, and I'll be on that religious bandwagon in a flash.

Sorry if I caused offence, I didn't intend to.

New sig to come!

For the life of me, they mentioned this multiple times in philosophy & religion classes.. I can't remember what it is called, but there is a category of religious people who do believe in God, but believe he does not actively take part or affect anything that happens in the world (in other words, he just put the materials and living organisms there and abandoned it).

I guess that's not impossible either. It seems highly improbable if a God would actually answer prayers and effect events in the world, he'd allow so many atrocities and horrible things to happen, even to innocent babies and children.

Can't really appeal to free will either, a baby didn't choose to be born in a 'free willed' world where he will be recruited as a child soldier at age 6 and be forced to kill his own parents at the command of a rebel leader who is hungry for more diamond fields.

For the life of me, they mentioned this multiple times in philosophy & religion classes.. I can't remember what it is called, but there is a category of religious people who do believe in God, but believe he does not actively take part or affect anything that happens in the world (in other words, he just put the materials and living organisms there and abandoned it).

I believe you are thinking of deism.

summerpngwy6.jpg

Religion is just a political act people use to get what they want. I see god as a tool used by many to believe there is something bigger out there that screws with us. If it is easier for people to think that the hand of god is what moves us,well then so be it. Who are we to judge their simple psycosis? The way i see it, the more focus people have on god, the less focus they will have on the down fall of society as we know it. By believeing in god people create change

00000000000000000000000ub8.jpg

Religion is just a political act people use to get what they want. I see god as a tool used by many to believe there is something bigger out there that screws with us. If it is easier for people to think that the hand of god is what moves us,well then so be it. Who are we to judge their simple psycosis? The way i see it, the more focus people have on god, the less focus they will have on the down fall of society as we know it. By believeing in god people create change

Believing in a god towards the end of one's life can make it easier for people who know they will die soon (i.e. old people), but thats not something I think anyone can understand until they are that age.

Well, practically the God's in islam and christianity are indistinguishable, because 'allah' directly translated to "god" in the english language. Even christians in such countries as Lebanon still call god "Allah" due to the arabic language ("Allah is not bound to one religion, just as God isn't)

Yeah that's correct. But I wouldn't say that they indistinguishable. The most vital difference is probably the doctrine of trinity which Muslims reject.

Probably everything else, except the parts where Muhammad ascends to the heavens while alive, or Jesus literally feeds a crowd with a handful of food/heals the blind with his hands, is true.

Jesus performed a lot of miracles. Those mentioned in the Bible are only selected parts of what he actually did. So I would rephrase it like this: "Probably everything is false, except for the parts where he doesn't perform any miracles." If we strip down the stories of Jesus and exclude all miracles we're going to end up with a guy saying some controversial things such as: "Love your enemies" etc.

The supernatural parts are up to every person's faith. Sadly not many kinds of religious people are represented on this thread, but not even nearly all christians I talked to believe in any kind of supernatural powers by Jesus. Heck, you're swedish, you'd probably even know priests with this point of view, I spent a part of my childhood in Sweden and it's a very 'neutralized' country where people view things objectively.

Yes, the supernatural parts require faith but not accepting them means that you're undermining of the Bible. I fail to see how a Bible where you reject all things supernatural has any significance or authority today. You're also correct about Sweden. The church of Sweden is a joke these days. It worries more about being politically correct than to tell the truth.

untitledyw7.png

Give me Science, and I'll be on that religious bandwagon in a flash.

Actually, if scientists somehow proved gods existanse, many cristians would probaply abandon their believs. Because the whole idea of crhistianity is about believing or "faith", not proof. That could mean the end of crishtianity... not that i care much.

($50 says that if I asked him who K'ung Fu-tzu was, he'd have no idea).

Silly! Kungfu is martial arts not a person! #-o

Reality is hundreds of times more beautiful and more interesting than delusions. Fairy tales just tend to be easier to follow than the wonderful intricacies of life.

Jesus performed a lot of miracles. Those mentioned in the Bible are only selected parts of what he actually did.

That's just an assumption, holding as much historical accuracy as some of the Egyptian government documents claiming some of the Pharaoh's lived for up to 140 years (which archaeological evidence has show to be blatantly false, most of the pharaoh's died very young, and didn't come even close to being 70 years old let alone over 100)

The *only* source which claims Jesus performed miracles are the scrolls and scriptures compiled in the Bible. There is no other account of eyewitnesses, contemporary historians or any roman government documents proving any miracles have been performed by him.

If we strip down the stories of Jesus and exclude all miracles we're going to end up with a guy saying some controversial things such as: "Love your enemies" etc.

I don't think most christians would share your view. Jesus was not respected because he was a magician or performed tricks like turning water into wine. He was respected for the humble, honest man he was, and his teachings.

Which matters more, Jesus' teachings, or the fact he performed "miracles" to prove he is legitimate? Remember what Jesus himself said:

You blind fools! Which is greater: the gold, or the temple that makes the gold sacred? You also say, 'If anyone swears by the altar, it means nothing; but if anyone swears by the gift on it, he is bound by his oath.'You blind men! Which is greater: the gift, or the altar that makes the gift sacred? 20Therefore, he who swears by the altar swears by it and by everything on it

It's not important whether Jesus could walk on water or not, or create food/material to impress the crowds. His teachings make him an important person whose advise should be listened to, just like Plato, Muhammad, Gandhi, etc.

Yes, the supernatural parts require faith but not accepting them means that you're undermining of the Bible. I fail to see how a Bible where you reject all things supernatural has any significance or authority today. .

I don't know about you, but for me, the non-supernatural things have all the difference in the world. The Bible still affected me even if I'm not religious, because of the good and pure teachings by Jesus. Blindly believing he could cure blind people doesn't make me a better person. But I can learn something from his teachings which are wise.

Already during oppressing times, Jesus advised people not to blindly trust authorities that make you believe or do this and that, and how they are corrupted by riches and materials on the expense of people's rights:

Jesus said to the crowds and to his disciples: "The teachers of the law and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat. So you must obey them and do everything they tell you. But do not do what they do, for they do not practice what they preach. They tie up heavy loads and put them on men's shoulders, but they themselves are not willing to lift a finger to move them".

"Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You give a tenth of your spicesÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Ã

The *only* source which claims Jesus performed miracles are the scrolls and scriptures compiled in the Bible. There is no other account of eyewitnesses, contemporary historians or any roman government documents proving any miracles have been performed by him.

Well Josephus claimed Christ was a performer of miracles but his testimony is disputed as a forgery. I am sure that there were other gospels not included in the Bible that mention Christ as a miracle worker as well.

summerpngwy6.jpg

No. Religion is a tool used to make weakminded fools conform to what the top 1% wants.

However, I do believe that there is a species out there at a high enough level of technology to SEEM to be god-like to primitive humans.

Which is more likely/believeable:

An invisible man in the sky who watches everything you do and has a special list of things he doesn't want you to do. And if you DO do those things, he has a special place where you will burn in agonizing pain for all time.

OR

That in the billions of galaxies in the universe, out of the hundreds of trillions of planets, there is at least one, single planet other than Terra that holds a life form, and that one of those life forms has had more time to develop than us, and that one of those species actually has achieved a higher level of technology than us.

There is no meaning or truth in life but that which we create for ourselves.

40678187bv4.jpg

No. Religion is a tool used to make weakminded fools conform to what the top 1% wants.

It's the repeated use of statements like these on this thread that make one realize that this is a gaming forum for twelve-year olds.

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

It's the repeated use of statements like these on this thread that make one realize that this is a gaming forum for twelve-year olds.

Yeah, well don't be so sure you would want to participate in debates with tons of adults and accredited professors, researchers, etc. :P

I've had a ton of these discussions on other forums, and not just pertaining to religion, and at some point I just lose track because the thread has over 600 pages and I simply don't have the time to read past arguments and claims which have been proven wrong/right, over 2,000 different sources and footnotes...

Not that I insult people like reaper, despite his age (which we don't even know for sure), he has a right to his opinion.

Actually, his statement is dead-on if it were said aloud just a few hundred years ago in most of the world's countries. Religion has been always used as a power tool by the 1% which was aristocracy, priests, etc. who had vested interest in keeping the majority of the population dumb, illiterate and loyal (most of all, to think not paying taxes to the king or church is blasphemy)

Yipes...finals come around things just seem to pile up...leave the thread a day and five more pages appear. Anyways, BlueLancer, I was wondering what instances of not paying taxes to the king being called blasphemy (forgive my horrible prose style and excessive use of forms of 'to be'...) you were thinking of. As I recall, the Church prior to the Reformation was at odds with the majority of European monarchs on the issue of political power. Hence the Investiture Controversy between Henry IV and Gregory VII. Anyways, I'll (attempt to) stop rambling. Thanks for keeping this thread largely ad hominem free :D

Completely random note: one of Henry's letters to the pope contains the most amazing sentence ever, "Descend, descend and be damned throughout the ages!"

Cieco mondo...cieco mondo

Omg this is all too funny. :lol: I mean, this thread is about voicing out your opinion (whether God is real or not), and not about criticizing other people for doing so. Also, the thread is " Is God real? Post your thoughts!" , not "Is God real? Post the facts!" (Not that anyone has the fact to make this all right/wrong to begin with.) I just don't understand why some people just HAVE to say whether people's opinion are right/wrong (usually the latter). The point is to stop criticizing-slash-flaming people just because YOU think their opinion is flawed. 8-) =D>

[oh man... come on.. i didnt do that bad to your modesty... and i was drunk! you were not! you took advantage of me... wildernessfreelancer!]

Yep, that's what they'll always say, LoL.

Omg this is all too funny. :lol: I mean, this thread is about voicing out your opinion (whether God is real or not), and not about criticizing other people for doing so. Also, the thread is " Is God real? Post your thoughts!" , not "Is God real? Post the facts!" (Not that anyone has the fact to make this all right/wrong to begin with.) I just don't understand why some people just HAVE to say whether people's opinion are right/wrong (usually the latter). The point is to stop criticizing-slash-flaming people just because YOU think their opinion is flawed. 8-) =D>

lolololololololol

warri0r45's
Nothing has been proven to travel faster than the speed of light.

Dude, seriously, your statement is an absolute insult to scientists worldwide.

Here's a link to one of many proofs that it is possible to break lightspeed barrier http://frontiersciences.spaces.live.com/Blog/cns!A1E4CC21DE41A7DD!169.entry

warri0r45's

The idea that there is an 'afterlife' or a 'soul' has not been proven and can not be by scientific means.

No, really, you're insulting Science. Bigtime. 8-)

warri0r45's

That you deduce god exists from the idea's pervasion through time is erroneous and an argument ad populum fallacy.

And WHO are you to say that? can you give me evidence that my statement is false? :roll:

warri0r45's

light itself can not escape the black hole's gravitational pull, especially at the event horizon.

Yes, that is another factor that prevents the observer from seeing the core of the black hole. :wall:

lolololololololol

wwidas6.jpg

lolololololololol

warri0r45's
Nothing has been proven to travel faster than the speed of light.

Dude, seriously, your statement is an absolute insult to scientists worldwide.

Here's a link to one of many proofs that it is possible to break lightspeed barrier http://frontiersciences.spaces.live.com/Blog/cns!A1E4CC21DE41A7DD!169.entry

warri0r45's

The idea that there is an 'afterlife' or a 'soul' has not been proven and can not be by scientific means.

No, really, you're insulting Science. Bigtime. 8-)

warri0r45's

That you deduce god exists from the idea's pervasion through time is erroneous and an argument ad populum fallacy.

And WHO are you to say that? can you give me evidence that my statement is false? :roll:

warri0r45's

light itself can not escape the black hole's gravitational pull, especially at the event horizon.

Yes, that is another factor that prevents the observer from seeing the core of the black hole. :wall:

lolololololololol

I would have said the same or attempted to talk some sense into Mr. Freelancer there but I think he's a little to 'special' for that.

warri0r45's

I would have said the same or attempted to talk some sense into Mr. Freelancer there but I think he's a little to 'special' for that.

Well.... in the very beginning I was expressing my own opinion and minding my own business. That is, until BlueLancer stabbed my brain with a knife made out of words. Thanks to him, I can't sleep soundly last night (no, seriously) and I had a bad headache. Even as I'm typing right now, I can't seem to get his "knife" out of my brain.

What's worse is that Mr. Warrior here intervened between the 2 lancers post exchanges. (A forum mod vs a newb mod.) You just HAD to make people's lives more miserable. :roll:

Btw, You started posting to me and telling me the "fallancy-atrocious-crap" that I was saying. Aka you started it. :notalk:

And I don't want to hear any augmentum-latin-whatever unless it's from an exorcism ritual. 8-)

[oh man... come on.. i didnt do that bad to your modesty... and i was drunk! you were not! you took advantage of me... wildernessfreelancer!]

warri0r45's

Well.... in the very beginning I was expressing my own opinion and minding my own business. That is, until BlueLancer stabbed my brain with a knife made out of words. Thanks to him, I can't sleep soundly last night (no, seriously) and I had a bad headache. Even as I'm typing right now, I can't seem to get his "knife" out of my brain.

What's worse is that Mr. Warrior here intervened between the 2 lancers post exchanges. (A forum mod vs a newb mod.) You just HAD to make people's lives more miserable. :roll:

Btw, You started posting to me and telling me the "fallancy-atrocious-crap" that I was saying. Aka you started it. :notalk:

And I don't want to hear any augmentum-latin-whatever unless it's from an exorcism ritual. 8-)

You are entitled to your opinion but if it involves errors in fact or logic then people are gonna pick you up on that. It's really very simple. You claimed that the soul and afterlife were scientifically proven. Anyone with two brain cells to rub together knows this isn't true and anyone who has knowledge of the nature of science will know why, i.e. you can't test these philosophical/religious notions and 'prove' them in the way that science does. You also used faulty logic, including the notion that the longer an idea is kept and the more people that believe in it, the more true it must be. Anyone with a little grasp of logic or the concept of how we come to know whether something is true or not will know that popular or pervasive dosen't always necessarily mean true nor is it a logical basis to conclude something is true. Do you think that at the time, those that believed that the sun revolved around the earth were correct just because most people accepted this notion?

You've just gotta think about this a little more and think about what you post. I'm not trying to be mean or anything and sorry for calling you 'special', it's just more often than not people will pick you up on misstatements of fact or errors in logic and will expect you to back up what you claim a bit more and get your facts right.

Thank you. It's just that, there are those few things in life that cannot be explained by science/logic/rationality. An example : What happened before the Big Bang theory. No one knows for sure the answer to that. Well then, isn't it possible that you can throw in "God theory" before the Big Bang theory? (Assuming that "God" is a singular, invisible super-entity.) It's a possibility. Then, God (in this case) would have indirectly created the stars and planets, life, and everything else in the universe.... when God had possibly created the Big Bang in this theory. :thumbsup:

Underlined: Theory, in this instance, means : A scientific possibility that is not yet proven by science in reality.

BlueLancer's

This guy is a troll. I feel like an idiot I actually tried replying to him, lol.

Me: LoL a forum mod thinks I'm a troll! How cool is that? 8-)

Bunny: Uhh... you didn't get what he meant, didn't you?

Me: Of course I do! He meant that I was as strong as a troll! D'oh!

Bunny: Umm... no.

Me: That I'm as big as a troll?

Bunny: Wrong again.

Me: That I'm as scary as a troll? As smelly as a troll? As-

Bunny: STOP! He meant that you're as stupid/dumb/idiotic as a troll!

Me: .........

* Both stared at each other awkwardly *

Me: Oh yeah? What do you know? You're just a talking bunny! *storms off*

Sorry, couldn't resist :lol:

Thank you. It's just that, there are those few things in life that cannot be explained by science/logic/rationality. An example : What happened before the Big Bang theory. No one knows for sure the answer to that. Well then, isn't it possible that you can throw in "God theory" before the Big Bang theory? (Assuming that "God" is a singular, invisible super-entity.) It's a possibility. Then, God (in this case) would have indirectly created the stars and planets, life, and everything else in the universe.... when God had possibly created the Big Bang in this theory. :thumbsup:

Underlined: Theory, in this instance, means : A scientific possibility that is not yet proven by science in reality.

It's a possibility but then what made God? 8-)

igoddessIsig.png

The only people who tell you that you can't do something are those who have already given up on their own dreams so feel the need to discourage yours.