Is God real post your thoughts!

Joes_So_Cool

Argumentum ad populum

Argumentum ad antiquitatem

Actually, it's a false dilemma, as stated above (Which you totally missed).

hmm. Maybe I'll play your fallacy back. The majority of the world doesn't believe in Jesus's divinity. Therefore, he wasn't the son of God. The majority of the world aren't christians, therefore you're wrong. See how stupid an argument that is?

Reading skills ftl. Me wonders why I bother sometimes.

This material object thing is stupendously pointless; if God is as in the Bible and can do anything, of course he can circumvent physical laws and make sounds from immaterial.

Congratulations for catching on. Better late than never.

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay. We can play this game. The number of people who claim to have heard God's voice throughout the ages far, far, far, far, far outnumber those who don't.

I'm sorry, what? Where on Earth is the evidence for that?

Given there's one and half billion Christians, one billion Muslims and only 13.2 million Jews (which roughly adds up to only a half of the world's population), I find it difficult people like me, who have had no experience of God at all, are "far, far, far, far, far outnumber[ed]".

We've not even started to verify whether this voice is actually His or not either.

1.) God does indeed exist and talk to everyone, yet there are people who listen or

There is a difference between listening and hearing. I might not listen to someone, but I'm still hearing them.

Oh come on, you know as well as anyone you need a material object to make a sound.

Once again, good luck backing that statement up.

I've yet to come across any incident in my life where a sound has caused by an immaterial object. Why don't you actually try and convince us otherwise. See, part of arguing is making your own positive assertions, and proving them, rather than ignorantly dismissing everything you don't agree with.

This material object thing is stupendously pointless; if God is as in the Bible and can do anything, of course he can circumvent physical laws and make sounds from immaterial.

Oh how convenient, yet again people bending the rules just to make their faith fit. You're an idiot. -.-

tifsiggy.jpg

Thanks to Quarra for the awesome sig!

Xbox360 Gamertag = Tintin113

Nope actually, I'm going to adress that bit this time: good luck trying to tell me I'm wrong. You haven't disproved what I've said, you've just wished me luck in backing it up, so... thanks... I guess.

I never said sound didn't come from material objects. You're the one who said immaterial beings can't make a sound. By virtue of your assertion, you have to back it up. But I already know you can't and you haven't even attempted to try because you know you can't, either.

Good luck backing that statement up. :lol:

*Shrugs*

Argumentum ad populum

Argumentum ad antiquitatem

Actually, it's a false dilemma, as stated above (Which you totally missed).

hmm. Maybe I'll play your fallacy back. The majority of the world doesn't believe in Jesus's divinity. Therefore, he wasn't the son of God. The majority of the world aren't christians, therefore you're wrong. See how stupid an argument that is?

Reading skills ftl. Me wonders why I bother sometimes.

No, it's a logical fallacy. You just admitted you did one, I'm simply added two more. You might want to look it up sometime. Just because it happens to a lot of people, it doesn't mean they're right. At one point, nearly everyone believed that the Earth was flat, although the Greeks had proven it was a spheroid long before.

2153_s.gif

When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. ~Jonathan Swift

userbar_full.png

Website Updates/Corrections here. WE APPRECIATE YOUR INPUT! Crewbie's Missions!Contributor of the Day!

Thanks to artists: Destro3979, Guthix121, Shivers21, and Unoalexi.

This one comes first.

Oh how convenient, yet again people bending the rules just to make their faith fit. You're an idiot. -.-

Ooo... I get it now. So you disagree with the basis of Christianity (Or any religion, for that matter), then proceed to call anyone who professes to that ideology an idiot because you don't agree with it. Amazing how that works, isn't it? :roll:

stupendously pointless

That's really what I want to say. Thanks for the description.

Given there's one and half billion Christians, one billion Muslims and only 13.2 million Jews (which roughly adds up to only a half of the world's population), I find it difficult people like me, who have had no experience of God at all, are far, far, far, far, far outnumber[ed]".

Well you have to remember that there have been billions of people throughout humanity's existence. Thousands upon thousands of religions. Who are you to say the floating orb in the sky can't be their God? Or that the tree over there isn't the voice in their heads?

And you also forgot to mention the primary application of Buddhism, which regards Buddha as a God rather than a Teacher. And Hinduism, while not monotheistic, is still theistic. Just wanted to say that.

We, as humanity, have bent the rules of everything. That's the point of science AND religion. Trying to put something we literally cannot consciously comprehend into words, which degrades this information uncomprehendingly. But when we've learned to see the universe like this, it's impossible for us to comprehend as it once was. Perceptions are different for every single human being on this planet. Or maybe you're all just a figment of my imagination. Or maybe I'm going to be eaten in fourteen seconds. Who knows.

catch it now so you can like it before it went so mainstream

Ooo... I get it now. So you disagree with the basis of Christianity (Or any religion, for that matter), then proceed to call anyone who professes to that ideology an idiot because you don't agree with it. Amazing how that works, isn't it? :roll:

No, he's calling people who make their own rules up, then when their rules are found to be false, bend them idiots. As you quite rightly said, "Reading skills ftl".

people who make their own rules up, then when their rules are found to be false, bend them idiots.

So, logically... humanity as a whole = idiot?

Don't forget. Gravity is a human concept. Perception.

Don't forget. Gravity is a human concept. Perception.

No. The spider walking across the floor next to me seems to be bound by gravity as well. It's not just us humans.

It doesn't seem that obliged to go to Church though. Ain't that wierd?

It's incredible how you manage to avoid questions and answer slightly - yet crucially - different ones to get your point across so you don't have to answer the questions that you know actually directly go against your religion and that you can't answer.

tifsiggy.jpg

Thanks to Quarra for the awesome sig!

Xbox360 Gamertag = Tintin113

Given there's one and half billion Christians, one billion Muslims and only 13.2 million Jews (which roughly adds up to only a half of the world's population), I find it difficult people like me, who have had no experience of God at all, are "far, far, far, far, far outnumber[ed]".

First of all, Christian, Muslims and Jews account for somewhere between 54% and 55% of the world's population. Second of all, there are more than just three religions in the world. Third of all, the non-religious (Atheist, agnostics, irrelegious) account for something like 14% to 16% of the world's population, just so you know).

We've not even started to verify whether this voice is actually His or not either.

Is this going to be one of those "You all believe different things so I'm going to say that none of you are right" type arguments, because I hate them with a passion? It's entirely possible that different people have different interpretations of the same message. Ever played telephone?

There is a difference between listening and hearing. I might not listen to someone, but I'm still hearing them.

...Are you really going to play semantics?

I've yet to come across any incident in my life where a sound has caused by an immaterial object. Why don't you actually try and convince us otherwise. See, part of arguing is making your own positive assertions, and proving them, rather than ignorantly dismissing everything you don't agree with.

Here's the thing. I didn't make a positive assertion. You (Well, it wasn't you specifically, I don't think) who said something along the lines of "Immaterial beings can't make a sound". I asked you to back that statement up, you couldn't-- And still can't-- Then tried to turn it around on me to prove to you that they can. I'd like to know how that works?

No, he's calling people who make their own rules up, then when their rules are found to be false, bend them idiots. As you quite rightly said, "Reading skills ftl".

My reading skills are just fine. Perhaps you should re-read over what he said?

It's incredible how you manage to avoid questions and answer slightly - yet crucially - different ones to get your point across so you don't have to answer the questions that you know actually directly go against your religion and that you can't answer.

Okay. I'll bite. What questions?

My reading skills are just fine. Perhaps you should re-read over what he said?

The word Christianity wasn't in his original post, yet you perceived it as an attack on your religion. Maybe I'm not really the one that needs to re-read what I'm saying?

You're infuriatingly bad at answering questions given to or proving to us the assertions you make, or answering to the contradictory evidence in the Bible. I'm through arguing with you here.

No, it's a logical fallacy. You just admitted you did one, I'm simply added two more.

Unnecessarily, since the nature of false dilemmas takes two extremes and makes out to be the only choices.

You might want to look it up sometime.

I already know what they mean.

Just because it happens to a lot of people, it doesn't mean they're right. At one point, nearly everyone believed that the Earth was flat, although the Greeks had proven it was a spheroid long before.

This is a lot of an irrelevancy, as we're dealing with experience (empiricism).

No. The spider walking across the floor next to me seems to be bound by gravity as well. It's not just us humans.

It doesn't seem that obliged to go to Church though. Ain't that wierd?

Perception, perception, perception...

Oo, a petty gibe at something I don't do. Thought you were above that.

The word Christianity wasn't in his original post, yet you perceived it as an attack on your religion. Maybe I'm not really the one that needs to re-read what I'm saying?

Me ---> Christian

Him ---> Disagreed with one of the axioms of Christianity, then proceeded to call me-- A Christian-- An idiot for accepting that axiom as true.

...What were you saying again?

You're infuriatingly bad at answering questions given to or proving to us the assertions you make.

Problem: I didn't make an assertion. You were the ones who did, I asked you to back that statement up, you couldn't, still can't and are now trying to turn it around because you made an indefensible claim. Funny.

or answering to the contradictory evidence in the Bible.

And, as I said prior, I'd like to see it. I'm still waiting, though...

I'm through arguing with you here.

*waves*

First of all, Christian, Muslims and Jews account for somewhere between 54% and 55% of the world's population. Second of all, there are more than just three religions in the world. Third of all, the non-religious (Atheist, agnostics, irrelegious) account for something like 14% to 16% of the world's population, just so you know).

Believing a religion = hearing God speak? Um, are you sure?

I have to admit, thats an awful lot of prophets.

there are no stupid questions

just way too many inquisitive idiots

balance is scary to people who like things easy for them

Utopianflame.png

I just finished reading the last couple pages.

Wow. Sly_Wizard is the perfect example of the type of creationists I run into every day.

:wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:

It's so glaringly, painfully obvious that he will not listen to logic and will instead resort to answering questions that were never asked. This specific type of idiocy never ceases to amaze me. WHY CAN'T YOU FACE THE TRUTH? YOU DON'T HAVE TO BE SCARED; THERE IS NO HELL TO BE SENT TO IF YOU USE YOUR BRAIN.

noobs crowding hill giants? not on my watch

Because, you know, that's precisely what I said :|

No, I said that there are more than just three religions in the world that profess who profess to hear the word of God/gods/goddesses etc.. There's Hinduism and some sects of Buddhism, for example (Yes, contrary to popular belief, some sects of Buddhism do worship a god).

Wow. Sly_Wizard is the perfect example of the type of creationists I run into every day.

*Smilies removed 'cuz TIF hates them*

It's so glaringly, painfully obvious that he will not listen to logic and will instead resort to answering questions that were never asked. This specific type of idiocy never ceases to amaze me. WHY CAN'T YOU FACE THE TRUTH? YOU DON'T HAVE TO BE SCARED; THERE IS NO HELL TO BE SENT TO IF YOU USE YOUR BRAIN.

...There is just one question I feel as if I must ask.

"Who are you?"

lol

Sly, they profess to *follow* the word of god, not to hear it personally.

If god spoke to any given person directly that makes them a prophet. Certainly in Islam god speaking to you would be a great heresy as Muhammed is according the Islam the last prophet.

there are no stupid questions

just way too many inquisitive idiots

balance is scary to people who like things easy for them

Utopianflame.png

Because, you know, that's precisely what I said :|

No, I said that there are more than just three religions in the world that profess who profess to hear the word of God/gods/goddesses etc.. There's Hinduism and some sects of Buddhism, for example (Yes, contrary to popular belief, some sects of Buddhism do worship a god).

*Smilies removed 'cuz TIF hates them*

...There is just one question I feel as if I must ask.

"Who are you?"

lol

That actually doesn't help your argument all that much. Using Abrahamic Gods does, but bringing in the polytheistic Hindus and such does not. They believe in vastly different gods, which are not the same. Are you asserting that Ra, Zeus, and Neptune are all the same God as yours?

It seems to me that the existence of so many vastly different gods helps to prove the point that humanity likes to make things up, not that everyone is talking to God.

2153_s.gif

When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. ~Jonathan Swift

userbar_full.png

Website Updates/Corrections here. WE APPRECIATE YOUR INPUT! Crewbie's Missions!Contributor of the Day!

Thanks to artists: Destro3979, Guthix121, Shivers21, and Unoalexi.