A rollback/reset? :o

unknowable

I have been thinking, and I think I've found a little bit of proof, based on some previous experiences and this article.

Seeing as Jagex released the Grand Exchange, they are trying to control the economy more. What happened to the MMO from the article was a partial reset. Might this be coming too for RS?

discuss :)

i think resets and windbacks could be used if something bad happens on a mass scale, which would mean more grateful people in runescape (LOL) than angry ones, such as if the 'instant death glitch'came back but on a broader scale it would mean more people would of died than lived, meaning jagex would of saved more items than lost some

for example, 3 people could be killed by it, losing 100k-10million worths stuff

but at that time, a guy got a abbysal whip drop

so the 3 people that regained their items would be happy, whilst mr. demon slayer would be unhappy. so it would be wise for jagex to do a role-back

220pxshkariwlogogt3.jpg

The idea that they are trying to control the economy has yet to be proven :roll:

Um, they said themselves that they are trying to control it. "Stabilize" is just one form of control.

Qeltar, aka Charles Kozierok

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

Exactly.

@Calum: You don't have to understand it. It was just the point of the economy getting out of hand and to stabilize it again they did a partial reset :P

It seems like everything that could have possibly gone wrong for a game happened in that article. :shock:

P2P offers more and better ways of making money than f2p. That's one of the cons you just have to play with if you don't feel like having 1 bigmac meal less per month.

It seems like everything that could have possibly gone wrong for a game happened in that article. :shock:

I must be abit behind...what article?

img.cfm?img=41871

Yeah...Some people just go out of their way to ruin other peoples fun.
Sounds like Jagex to me...

There have been very few rollbacks that happened because of an in-game event.

The duping back in classic did not even force a rollback, which in my opinion is the biggest "event" in Runescape history. Although there's another event very very few people were effected by that in comparison.

Most Rollbacks are due to server problems where data was not saved correctly.

i think resets and windbacks could be used if something bad happens on a mass scale, which would mean more grateful people in runescape (LOL) than angry ones, such as if the 'instant death glitch'came back but on a broader scale it would mean more people would of died than lived, meaning jagex would of saved more items than lost some

so the 3 people that regained their items would be happy, whilst mr. demon slayer would be unhappy. so it would be wise for jagex to do a role-back

Thats a pretty small scale example. Jagex would only do roll backs in cases of gigantic bugs where mass amounts of people were affected over a short period of time. So during a roll back, its not just one slayer guy who will be unhappy. It will be thousands, hundreds of thousands who earned something and now must lose it, just to please under a hundred people. So don't just go "jagex should do a rollback" because a few people were affected. This might do more harm than good.

[hide=]

tip it would pay me $500.00 to keep my clothes ON :( :lol:
But then again, you fail to realize that 101% of the people in this universe hate you. Yes, humankind's hatred against you goes beyond mathematical possibilities.
That tears it. I'm starting an animal rebellion using my mind powers. Those PETA bastards will never see it coming until the porcupines are half way up their asses.
[/hide]

montageo.png

Apparently a lot of people say it. I own.

http://linkagg.com/ Not my site, but a simple, budding site that links often unheard-of websites that are amazing for usefulness and fun.

Rollbacks were common before Rs2.

But I can see now that Jagex has no chance to do this, what with the increase of players tenfold and their attitudes.

People accepted rollbacks, and gaming RS continued, whilst some were glad that they had their full rune back, because of being pk'ed. And the pker was unhappy about losing the full rune he'd just pk'ed. But no one whined at least.

Thats a pretty small scale example. Jagex would only do roll backs in cases of gigantic bugs where mass amounts of people were affected over a short period of time. So during a roll back, its not just one slayer guy who will be unhappy. It will be thousands, hundreds of thousands who earned something and now must lose it, just to please under a hundred people. So don't just go "jagex should do a rollback" because a few people were affected. This might do more harm than good.

thats how he means it... he just made it a less big scale

sig312.png

angel2w.gif

The idea that they are trying to control the economy has yet to be proven :roll:

Um, they said themselves that they are trying to control it. "Stabilize" is just one form of control.

I'd rather have Jagex bring stability to an unstable economy rather then let a bunch of loners continue to manipulate certain areas of the unstable economy.

If you want to define what Jagex is doing as controlling. What do you classify the price manipulators as? Exactly... You people try way to hard to come up with conspiracies.

Shiva.jpeg

R.I.P Shiva

They probably don't want 06/06/06 again... :XD:

06/06/06 was probably the closest we ever came to rollback. However they were not prepared to implemnt the roll back for something lkike 4-7 hours (maybe only 2) after the incedent ended. A roll back of more than 30 minutes to an hour would have dire consequences for to many people. Even a 5 minute roll back at that time might have cost a staker an entire phat set (not a prblem anymore -.- ). A full blown complete roll back...99.99%of members would quit on the spot. Any f2p'er with at least 6 months time playing would probably quit too. And the ruined repretation would hinder game gowth. They couldnt do it, theyed just have to discontinue the game.

If you read it well, it says because of the desastrous economy they did the reset.

In my humble opinion the economy is kinda screwed up :roll:

oh, and the stake limit! That's a measure too :P

Theres a difference between control and protection.

Its like for example in facist italy.

The corporate state was formed and the communition between allmajor industry owners meant competetion was removed and they set prices as they wished.

In runescape terms this was the 100% open market under the influence of price manipulating merchants (note this does not mean all merchants) and bots etc flooding the market with cheap resources.

Jagex measures still allow the market to shift naturally but it makes it so it cannot be flooded with low price (bots) or high price (price mani) products to majorly alter it suddenly.

It just offers it stablitiy, items can't jump to 50% value in space of like an hour this way

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

06/06/06 was probably the closest we ever came to rollback. However they were not prepared to implemnt the roll back for something lkike 4-7 hours (maybe only 2) after the incedent ended. A roll back of more than 30 minutes to an hour would have dire consequences for to many people. Even a 5 minute roll back at that time might have cost a staker an entire phat set (not a prblem anymore -.- ). A full blown complete roll back...99.99%of members would quit on the spot. Any f2p'er with at least 6 months time playing would probably quit too. And the ruined repretation would hinder game gowth. They couldnt do it, theyed just have to discontinue the game.

Rollbacks have happened, you know o.O... I remember once I logged on one morning and everything was fine for me, but for my friend who'd been playing overnight, he'd lost about 6 hours work. It's not when stuff happens in game that they do rollbacks, but when some code or something gets messed up. Most of the time players never know why.

In Soviet Russia, glass eats OTers.

Alansson Alansson, woo woo woo!

Pink owns yes, just like you!

GOOOOOOOOOO ALAN! WOO!

Unlike the creator of that game, Jagex has thought things out. Their way of fixing such issues was creating RS2, giving the players an option of staying in RSC or moving on to RS2. Plus, Jagex has a much bigger organization which means more brains to think up new ideas and more brains to think of the dire consequences. I believe that this will not occur. If something bad does happen, Jagex will probably move on to RS3 with some new features and some exp modifications.

As for the GE, I think Jagex is trying to control the economy, and I personally think this is a good thing. By controlling the economy, they can benefit the honest, hard-working players and cut down on the real-world traders and lazy money-making people.

I disagree, here's the quote you're referring to I believe:

There is a limit to the amount you can buy or sell items for in the Grand Exchange, which is generally set at 5% above and below the 'market price', and it is impossible to buy outside of these boundaries. This will create a stable economy that cannot be abused by players who seek to manipulate prices to the disadvantage of others.

Look a bit at the context. All they are saying is that they used these limits so and "stabilize the economy" so that nobody can manipulate prices. That's entirely different from trying to take over the entire economy. Actually, the fact that they still let people trade with complete liberty is proof enough that they are not seeking to control the economy; they just want to prevent a possible abuse of the GE.

If you read it well, it says because of the desastrous economy they did the reset.

In my humble opinion the economy is kinda screwed up :roll:

Well, go ahead and tell us the proof behind that "humble opinion" of yours. I'm eager to hear it.

oh, and the stake limit! That's a measure too :P

The staking limit was to stop real-world trading, not control the economy #-o . Way to miss the point

76th to reach 99 Construction on 6th of February 2007

379th to reach 99 Runecrafting on 4th of November 2007

BlueSig6.jpg

Finally the secrets of goal achieving are revealed! (give my guide a read :^_^: )

You don't understand what a rollback is.

Every day (well, actually a few times a day) they save the progress of every character. A rollback means that everyone gets put back to their last saved point. They'd never reset all the accounts, but they have done rollbacks several times.

fishing.gif