Ask me about smoking.

Lateralus

I thought this would be an interesting topic, and as far as I know it shouldn't be a problem for mods.

I know there's a lot of anti-smokers around here, but this topic is more for me than it is for them. I'm pretty pro-smoking and all that, and I really enjoy it, and I figure that if I'm posed questions about why I smoke, it'll help me to figure it out.

So, basically I'll just answer any questions anyone wants to pose to a smoker - What brand I smoke, why I started - Whatever.

La lune ne garde aucune rancune.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How often do you clean your teeth everyday to prevent the staining?

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

How often do you clean your teeth everyday to prevent the staining?

No more than usually. Once in the morning and once before bed. I haven't noticed my teeth being any less white than the average, but I know staining is inevitable.

My teeth are going straight to hell anyway. Smoking, black coffee and an awful diet.

What did your lungs ever do to you?

Sigh.

They raped my parents. This is my revenge.

How's the hase tent? :P

It's been retired really, maybe it'll return on a special ocassion.

Are you addicted?

Yes, definitely.

That said though, there's still times when I go days without smoking. Last year I did the Tour du Mont Blanc and didn't smoke for over a week.

Are you addicted?

Yes, definitely.

That said though, there's still times when I go days without smoking. Last year I did the Tour du Mont Blanc and didn't smoke for over a week.

Not the answer I was expecting. :o

The majority of smokers I am friends with deny being addicted, although they have 'quit' many times before.

Which leads me to my next question: Have you tried quiting before? If so, did you return to smoking for addiction reasons, or simply the joy?

untitled-1.png

Do you ever consider the effects of passive smoking to the people around you who have made the decision not to smoke cancer sticks?

Wow, someone has an agenda.

Yes, I suppose I do consider the effects of passive smoking... Passively. Generally my actual consideration is not to expose people to a smell they don't like.

I live in Scotland where smoking is banned in public buildings, so I'm almost always smoking outside. If I go to someone's house and the owner doesn't smoke, then I'll go outside to smoke. However, if I'm at a house where the owner smokes, then I'll smoke inside as well. Anyone else who enters the house knows the owner smokes and if they don't like it, they can leave.

I've toyed with the idea of quitting before for health reasons, but never went through with it because I just didn't want to really.

I didn't notice any change in my sense of taste or smell, but I don't have any doubts that they've been affected.

I spend around $5 a day on cigarettes.

What would you spend the ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâã1000 a year you spend on [bleep]s on if you didnt smoke?

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Do you have a lot of stress in your life and do you ever feel self destructive?

I don't really stress about anything, but I notice a self destructive streak in myself. I think the 'devil may care' sort of attitude is noticeable in a lot of smokers.

Thought this was would have been asked already:

What made you start smoking? And would you ever consider giving it up (I know you said you enjoy it, I mean as a future possibility.)

When I was about fourteen I used to smoke quite a lot of cannabis, and just ended up smoking cigarettes when I wasn't smoking that. I think having a mother and older brother who smoke as well was a big influence.

I don't know whether or not I'll ever give it up. I think I read something like if you give up smoking before you're 30 you lose a lot of the health risks, so that's something to think about.

Aah a pro-smoker (like me) :) . I don't have any questions for you since I also smoke. In my opinion all your answers are correct. The only thing that bugs me about smoking is my terrible lungcapacity which is why I am going to stop after newyear. Anyway today smokings seems like a crime to most people *sigh* :( .

krikke321.png

Computers will never be above humans because we made them.

That's what monkeys used to say about us.

Just for fun I'm going to do a little calculation. You spend $5 a day on it which is $1825 a year.

If cigs never went up in price and you invested that money every year at a modest 10% return in

10 years you would have $31,994

20 years you would have $114,979

40 years you would have $888,504

60 years you would have $6,092,394

Instead you get ashes, a few moments of satisfaction and you probably won't live 60 more years if you keep smoking. I mean just investing what you spend on smoking could be the difference between retiring poor not having money for anything and retiring comfortably with a vacation house. Oh yeah, you will also look 60 years old when you are 45 from it aging your skin so badly.

So how exactly is that worth it and had you ever considered that if you gave it up and invested it at 10% a year you could be a millionaire by the time you retired just from that?

Ambassadar.png

Just for fun I'm going to do a little calculation. You spend $5 a day on it which is $1825 a year.

If cigs never went up in price and you invested that money every year at a modest 10% return in

Instead you get ashes, a few moments of satisfaction and you probably won't live 60 more years if you keep smoking. I mean just investing what you spend on smoking could be the difference between retiring poor not having money for anything and retiring comfortably with a vacation house. Oh yeah, you will also look 60 years old when you are 45 from it aging your skin so badly.

So how exactly is that worth it and had you ever considered that if you gave it up and invested it at 10% a year you could be a millionaire by the time you retired just from that?

Hello biased agenda.

This is really stupid. I mean, people buy things they enjoy all the time -- but just because it's cigs it now ventures in the realm where "you're stupid, those things are a waste of money".

Anyways, I don't really have any questions for you lat. I my self really don't mind smokers (I usually stand up for them, as long as they don't ack like jerks) being a non-smoker myself.

Those are some tasty figures, but I don't assign monetary value to everything. I have enough money to do all the things I want to, and once I finish university I'll have a very well paying job which I can use to buy even more cigarettes if I'm still smoking.

The 'looking 60 when you're 45' is very much a worst case scenario as well. My mother has smoked for since she was 16 and she's... 48 now (I think, haha), and much as it pains me to say it, the woman is a knockout. All the risks of smoking are possibilities, not absolute certainties. Yes, what I do is bad for my health, but I don't see why most non-smokers feel the need to convert me.