Ask me about smoking.

Lateralus

I've got a little throwaway - have you ever smoked in an airconditioned environment?

My motivation for asking this is that prior to such and.. episode.. smoke didn't bother me. Ever since, the smell is personally repulsive. I'm just wondering if you have been in such a scenario, did it change your smell of the smoke?

Can't say it's ever happened to me. What difference did it make?

Have you ever gotten angry at people who try to make you quit smoking?

I don't think anyone has ever tried to make me quit, and I don't get angry at people who dislike smoking either. What angers me is the 'smokers are lepers' attitude you get off some people.

Why do you think you smoke more when you drink? O:)

Something to do with receptors in the brain being dulled by the alcohol I think, not 100% on that though.

The other reason is that I think I'm a rock'n'roll god when I'm drunk. :P

Doesn't it bother you that your body requires something that isn't necessary?

This question has more or less been answered already. I don't know if you didn't pick up on it or you're just trying to be smart.

No, my question hasn't been answered. Unless the answer is "I don't care that my body physically needs something that isn't necessary". I am asking the psychologically impact smoking cigarettes has had on you. I am not saying you are pathetic because you need cigarettes, but rather since it is a known fact that nicotine is addicting, doesn't that bother you at all? I drink and smoke weed, sometimes, but nothing is physically addicting and i would like to know what that is like. It really isn't that much of a smart-[wagon] question.

Oke doke, my apologies I suppose. I still think the answer has been kind of implied through my attitude, but I'll give you a straight answer anyway.

Being addicted to smoking doesn't bother me at all. I've got quite an addictive personality as well. I would say it's possible that I'm addicted to drinking and gambling as well - Mentally anyway. Only the gambling bothers me really.

La lune ne garde aucune rancune.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I need advice..

I used to smoke 3-6 cigarettes daily for about 1 year 5 months. During this time I was exercising. Since I quit 1 year 7 months ago I still carried on exercising and eating healthily. How long until all the by-products from smoking totally leave my body?

00000000000000000000000ub8.jpg

So why is it that cigarettes are legal in the U.S. but Weed is not?

Cigarettes can be taxed, weed can't. The government barely cares that cigarettes do cause some 400,000 deaths annually, weed causes about 180 deaths per year (out of the nearly 40% of americans who have tried weed, both figures from government sources; check links).

It's a money issue, they don't care about the fact weed is multiple hundredfold safer than using cigarettes...

Cigarettes can be taxed, weed can't. The government barely cares that cigarettes do cause some 400,000 deaths annually, weed causes about 180 deaths per year (out of the nearly 40% of americans who have tried weed, both figures from government sources; check links).

It's a money issue, they don't care about the fact weed is multiple hundredfold safer than using cigarettes...

why cant they tax it? I don't understand, if it was legal companies could sell it and they could tax it then right?

why cant they tax it? I don't understand, if it was legal companies could sell it and they could tax it then right?

Not enough support behind legalization (at least that's what it seems like here). Most of the people I know who do it don't care enough to go out and support any sort of bill on the subject.

It also seems like the underground trafficking business would be ruined because of it. Just an idea.

The main reason weed is so heavily persecuted is because in the past, the cotton farmer lobby considered hemp to be dangerous competition to their crop, and lobbied heavily against it. They were afraid of it for good reason - in 1941, Henry Ford introduced a car that was not only built out of resin-enforced hemp fibres, but could run on ethanol produced from hemp, as an alternative to metal cars running on gasoline, since both were in short supply because of World War 2.

I don't think it's about money and taxes. If it were, pot would be legal, and so would other drugs (notably shrooms and LSD). The government can gain a lot of money through taxing more drugs. A lot of people think that you "can't tax drugs" but this isn't true -- take a look at the alcohol and tobacco industry. Also, I believe Amsterdam taxes their weed pretty effectively.

In fact, for the U.S., the prohibition is losing them billions of dollars every year.

law enforcement spends $10.7 billion annually to arrest and prosecute marijuana offenders

According to the report, Americans spend some $113 billion dollars annually to consume an estimated 31.1 million pounds of pot. By criminalizing this market, the study estimates that the government loses more than $30 billion per year in tax revenue.

[1]

Not enough support behind legalization (at least that's what it seems like here). Most of the people I know who do it don't care enough to go out and support any sort of bill on the subject.

Support is part of it, but in America the government doesn't need to ask the citizens what they think about a particular bill.

Anyways, there is a quite a lot of support for legalization across the United States. In countries like Canada, there is even more support. :D

weed causes about 180 deaths per year (out of the nearly 40% of americans who have tried weed, both figures from government sources; check links).

I have a hard time believing that, considering another reliable source puts deaths at around 280 over the course of 8 years.[2]

Either way, I feel that most of these marijuana-related deaths can be prevented with legalization, regulation and responsible use of the drug.

In my opinion one of the problems is that the U.S. spent so long advertising their "War on Drugs". It would be embarrassing for them to admit that they were wrong. Same problem with the current "War on Terror" sentiments.

I also feel that there is a strong correlation between soft drug use and peace/antiwar sentiments. And, of course, America would not want that. :P

As for Canada, I think we are very close to legalization. But, considering how pissed the Bush administration got for the Vancouver Safe Injection Site, we would probably get bombed for legalizing marijuana. :lol:

Sorry for the hijack, but it's just too tempting for me not to reply... :mrgreen:

I need advice..

I used to smoke 3-6 cigarettes daily for about 1 year 5 months. During this time I was exercising. Since I quit 1 year 7 months ago I still carried on exercising and eating healthily. How long until all the by-products from smoking totally leave my body?

I think it's something like 5 years before all the noticeable effects go away, and like 20 or so before the disease risks go back down (not quite sure, saw it on some poster)

In Soviet Russia, glass eats OTers.

Alansson Alansson, woo woo woo!

Pink owns yes, just like you!

GOOOOOOOOOO ALAN! WOO!

I have a hard time believing that, considering another reliable source puts deaths at around 280 over the course of 8 years.[2]

Either way, I feel that most of these marijuana-related deaths can be prevented with legalization, regulation and responsible use of the drug.

That wasn't the point.. The point is out of some 80 million americans who have tried pot, only a few hundred have actually died from it's side-effects (or overuse), compared to the annual death toll of cigarette-caused cancers and other diseases which is at over 400,000 human lives.

Pretty needless to say, the tax loss of having 400,000 people less every year paying taxes and buying goods, employers losing their workers and costs of re-hiring, the emotional losses of relatives, toll on healthcare system... Exceeds even the tax share the government could have by legalising pot.

I need advice..

I think it's something like 5 years before all the noticeable effects go away, and like 20 or so before the disease risks go back down (not quite sure, saw it on some poster)

And here I thought I had heard somewhere that the dangers neevr go away #-o

And Bluelancer: so what you're saying is that by banning the sale of a good (cigarettes), the government can make millions of dollars? Freaking sweet.

whalenuke.png

Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

angel2w.gif

I've got a little throwaway - have you ever smoked in an airconditioned environment?

My motivation for asking this is that prior to such and.. episode.. smoke didn't bother me. Ever since, the smell is personally repulsive. I'm just wondering if you have been in such a scenario, did it change your smell of the smoke?

Can't say it's ever happened to me. What difference did it make?

It's hard to explain exactly why my perception of smoke changed, but I'd probably put it down to my dad smoking a few in the house about an hour before I got up. All the doors and windows were closed and the smoke would have been cycling through the aircon endlessly. I don't know the dynamics of smoke or if it goes 'off' over time but I'd say there was probably something wierd going on because of the total and utter lack of air flow moving the smoke into the atmosphere.

I dunno. Just not advisable is all I'd say.

I've got quite an addictive personality as well. I would say it's possible that I'm addicted to drinking and gambling as well - Mentally anyway. Only the gambling bothers me really.

Wow that sounds only too familiar :-w

igoddessIsig.png

The only people who tell you that you can't do something are those who have already given up on their own dreams so feel the need to discourage yours.

I've got quite an addictive personality as well. I would say it's possible that I'm addicted to drinking and gambling as well - Mentally anyway. Only the gambling bothers me really.

Wow that sounds only too familiar :-w

Familiar as in you can relate or familiar as in something you've heard over and over in psych classes?

Okay, I have a couple questions..

A)Do you notice some sort of a difference in Light or UltraLight cigarettes vs. Regular cigarettes? Like in ermm.. flavor(?) or something? How about between different brands?

B)Do you smoke cigars as well?

I'm sorry if these have already been answered, I'm too lazy to read the entire topic..

Ps. Thank you for smoking! :XD:

unoalexi.png

Here be dragons ^

Dragon of the Day

ryZi.gif

Okay, I have a couple questions..

A)Do you notice some sort of a difference in Light or UltraLight cigarettes vs. Regular cigarettes? Like in ermm.. flavor(?) or something? How about between different brands?

B)Do you smoke cigars as well?

I'm sorry if these have already been answered, I'm too lazy to read the entire topic..

Ps. Thank you for smoking! :XD:

There's a big difference between lights and regulars. They taste different and the smoke feels much thinner with the lights.

Yeah I enjoy a cigar every now and then.

does your moan maker suffer because of smoking?

Not that I've noticed. Long may it continue.

When I was backpacking in the summer, I noticed that smoking does help in getting to know people.

Anyway, not sure if this question is asked yet:

Why did you start smoking weed then? You say you started smoking cigs because you were already smoking weed :oops:

When I was backpacking in the summer, I noticed that smoking does help in getting to know people.

Anyway, not sure if this question is asked yet:

Why did you start smoking weed then? You say you started smoking cigs because you were already smoking weed :oops:

I don't know really, just always found it pretty interesting. The reason I take some of the things I shouldn't nowadays is because I like experiencing the different effects on the brain and thinking, but I doubt that was going through my mind when I was younger.

Most likely I was just a bored little kid who wanted to get wasted.

do you still smoke weed?

whalenuke.png

Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

angel2w.gif

no jokemaster, it dosent.

@on this threads topic.

i personally beleive smoking is fine aslong as the smoker is respectful. Like i would never smoke near non smokers, pregnant people, ill people, people who dislike it etc

i smoke tobacco every now and then, i prefer a cigar quite often. i got into smoking rollies when i was drunk, and jsut did. then i smoke cigars as a sociable enjoyable thing, as unlike rollies, they last long, theyre "smooth" (harder for a non smoker to understand, basicly the smoke is nicer feeling) and cigars have alot of taste (you get them in anything from cinnamon to earth, and yes earth cigars remind me of the smell of forests etc, theyre my favourite).

bsmovies.png