Ask me about smoking.

Lateralus

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it funny to watch the 14 year olds that come on here and say "If you smoke, you're going to die early and have every worst case scenario happen to your body because of it" obviously just coming out of their 8th period Health Class where the teacher is a personal trainer. Propaganda FTW.

I don't have a question, but I'm glad that you stand up for your own actions and don't take crap from people that wouldn't know a cig from a pencil :wink:

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

I find it funny to watch the 14 year olds that come on here and say "If you smoke, you're going to die early and have every worst case scenario happen to your body because of it" obviously just coming out of their 8th period Health Class where the teacher is a personal trainer. Propaganda FTW.

I don't have a question, but I'm glad that you stand up for your own actions and don't take crap from people that wouldn't know a cig from a pencil :wink:

I think you're exaggerating. I dont know anyone (with any credibility) that has come on here and said that.

dmanxb7.jpg

Trix.--quit WoW as of 12/07

Thank you 4be2jue for the wonderful sig and avatar!

Just for fun I'm going to do a little calculation. You spend $5 a day on it which is $1825 a year.

If cigs never went up in price and you invested that money every year at a modest 10% return in

10 years you would have $31,994

20 years you would have $114,979

40 years you would have $888,504

60 years you would have $6,092,394

Instead you get ashes, a few moments of satisfaction and you probably won't live 60 more years if you keep smoking. I mean just investing what you spend on smoking could be the difference between retiring poor not having money for anything and retiring comfortably with a vacation house. Oh yeah, you will also look 60 years old when you are 45 from it aging your skin so badly.

So how exactly is that worth it and had you ever considered that if you gave it up and invested it at 10% a year you could be a millionaire by the time you retired just from that?

This is what I was referring to.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

Another question...

If marijuana was legalized, do you think that would help relieve the pressure for youth to smoke cigarettes? Or would it only increase cigarette/tobacco smoking?

I think that anyone who wants marijuana can get it regardless of legality. But I suppose the answer to this question would involve a comparison of countries like Britain and the USA to Holland.

La lune ne garde aucune rancune.

Even though smoking does cause 400,000 deaths every year in the US [source]), you're right that 'every worst case scenario' definitely doesn't happen to everyone. The 'propaganda' isn't unreasonable though, it's true. But...

Look at Jeanne Calment. She smoked all her life, and only quit her habit at 117 years old. She is the oldest person ever to live.

I don't smoke, and never have, but smoking alone isn't a cause of death. If you have horrible life habits, eat unhealthy food, have no physical hobbies like swimming, jogging, football/soccer etc... It just contributes to an early death, or a cancer (though, admittedly, cigarettes are nearly the sole cause of lung cancer in society).

Difficult issue personally.. Because 2 of my close relatives died because of cigarette-caused cancer, one at age 36, one at 40, my uncle and my aunt.

But I know dozens of smokers personally, a couple even related to my family age 70+ who smoke and they're totally healthy, whatnot with the coughs :P

Not particularly, but thats not to say that I haven't met a lot of people while standing outside the pub having a cigarette.

Did you start smoking due to peer pressure, or did you just want to experiment? Just wondering. :) My father, for example, only smokes when his friends smoke... Doesn't seem addicted though.

Did you start smoking due to peer pressure, or did you just want to experiment? Just wondering. :) My father, for example, only smokes when his friends smoke... Doesn't seem addicted though.

I don't remember ever being pressured to smoke, so either it was some crafty subliminal peer pressure, or I just felt like it. The majority of my friends are non-smokers.

La lune ne garde aucune rancune.

She is the oldest person ever to live.

Don't think that's quite true...

8888kev8888.jpeg

Sigs by: Soa | Gold_Tiger10 | Harrinator1 | Guthix121 | robo | Elmo | Thru | Yaff2

Avatars by: Lit0ua | Unoalexi | Gold Tiger .

Hello friend, Senajitkaushik was epic, Good luck bro.

I recently quit smoking just because I wanted to, after doing so for about a year. Last week I went to the doctor for a sore throat, and while that turned out to be just a cold, I now have to schedule an appointment with an oral surgeon to check out a lesion in my throat...woooops.

My dad started smoking when he was 11 and has just stopped 2 years ago. He has so far had no problems related to smoking except high cholesterol (this was a spelling suggestion, so if it's wrong you must realize I am a horrible speller). He stopped completely cold turkey, although he did eat a lot of Altoids for the first few weeks though(lol).

During my middle school years i took part in what we called Peer Education Program (P.E.P), where grownups teach kids and then kids teach other kids. We focused on smoking mainly and all it's negative effects. I for one will never smoke, that is what i have personal decided.

This country (US) seems to be like a racehorse sometimes, only staring at one problem at a time while ignoring all others. During my P.E.P times a guest speaker once told this story:

"I was sitting a restaurant and there was this couple, one a smoker and one an extremely over-weight women. A man came up to the couple and started screaming at the smoker "Don't you know your killing yourself and poisoning the rest of us?"

The smoker replied "Yes I have tried many time to quiet and I know the effects of smoking"

Now, I was sitting there staring and wondering "Yes, that man is a smoker, he knows the problems of smoking, what will yelling do for him. If he thought that that would help why not yell at the women, she is also killing herself."

Now do not get me wrong, I am against smoking. It is a nasty habit. My question is not to the smoker, but to everyone who thinks that just because they yell at someone and saying commits such as "What did your lungs do to you?" your helping. My question is "What do you think this actually does?"

The way to do it is to educate the youth. Everyone dies, and smokers usually die faster. The smoking companies need new consumers when the old one dies. If you educate the youth you will certainly stop more people from smoking then just by yelling at them or sly commits. Nothing is more scarier then the truth.

(Sorry this isn't exactly what you wanted in your topic, but thats how i fell)

MSSW3-Banner.gif

She is the oldest person ever to live.

Don't think that's quite true...

It is, I kindly provided you a link, or if you don't trust the sources listed there, search her name by yourself. She is the oldest documented person to have ever lived on Earth and she was a smoker all her life, only quitting at age 117 (merely 5 years before her death)

Mythological characters, such as chinese emperors 2800 B.C. claimed to have lived for 300+ years, or some of the biblical characters claimed to live for 900+ years, or some characters in the hinduist Treta Yuga claimed to have lived for 10,000+ years.. Don't count.

Wasn't there a lady in France who lived for 130+ years or something? That rings a bell...

Yeah, that's the one I linked to. Not quite 130 years but very close.

I better grab the escargo and wine.

whalenuke.png

Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

angel2w.gif

f you smoke, you're going to die early and have every worst case scenario happen to your body because of it.

asigthegodofsoupzz0.gif

The spelling and grammar of that email was that of an 11 year old palestinian goatboy who is speaking english for the first time
Quite simply, Facebook craps on Myspace. Then makes it eat the crap.

I've got a little throwaway - have you ever smoked in an airconditioned environment?

My motivation for asking this is that prior to such and.. episode.. smoke didn't bother me. Ever since, the smell is personally repulsive. I'm just wondering if you have been in such a scenario, did it change your smell of the smoke?

If you had kids and they started when they were still in their teens, would you have any objections?

Well, if I was still smoking at the time it would be pretty hypocritical of me to object. All I could do would be tell them the facts. Without having kids it's hard to say, but I can guess that I wouldn't like the fact that they smoked.

If they were any younger than 16 I would probably play the age card, and tell them to stop until they were older.

Playing the hypocrite isn't always bad. Sometimes I think It can be necessary. I would like to think if I smoked and believed it wasn't a healthy habit for my kids to get in to, I would still stop them. I would stop them but of course you would still have the problems of A) Breaking your childs trust in your abilities to function as the good role model (cognitive dissonance or something like that? Its been awhile since I took psychology) and B) Like you said, you can't really do much with a kid after he's 16. They're pretty much done by then.

As long as you don't smoke where people pass by everyday, I can't care less how you destroy your lungs.

My tutor is a smoker. She knows that she always smells like smoke, but she can't care less. But it's obvious what smoking does to her. Her coughing is just :uhh: At least she's retiring soon.

onceiroseik5.png

is this topic JUST for cigarettes? Because I'm slightly curious about Weed as well. Most people I've met that have/do smoke it say that its better for you than cigarettes, yet it gives a high that cigarettes don't. So why is it that cigarettes are legal in the U.S. but Weed is not?

Doesn't it bother you that your body requires something that isn't necessary?

This question has more or less been answered already. I don't know if you didn't pick up on it or you're just trying to be smart.

No, my question hasn't been answered. Unless the answer is "I don't care that my body physically needs something that isn't necessary". I am asking the psychologically impact smoking cigarettes has had on you. I am not saying you are pathetic because you need cigarettes, but rather since it is a known fact that nicotine is addicting, doesn't that bother you at all? I drink and smoke weed, sometimes, but nothing is physically addicting and i would like to know what that is like. It really isn't that much of a smart-[wagon] question.

I guess we're SA goons now.

Uh, i love SA. You better not have said that with any negative connotation. By the way, do you have stairs in your home? :roll:

mcchrissigaw8.gif

Everybody lovin' it, but ain't no body touchin' it