If Belgium splits in two, who gets Brussels?

YourOldFriendIsBack

How? What? Why?!

I haven't heard anything about this in the news... Explain!

J'adore aussi le sexe et les snuff movies

Je trouve que ce sont des purs moments de vie

Je ne me reconnais plus dans les gens

Je suis juste un cas désespérant

Et comme personne ne viendra me réclamer

Je terminerai comme un objet retrouvé

How? What? Why?!

I haven't heard anything about this in the news... Explain!

You mustn't read newspapers then. It's actually a realistic possibility, now it's been half a year after their elections, and they still can't form a government because of grossly opposite views between the flemish and vallonian populations.

If you read up on the history of Belgium, it's not even a 'real' country, it's a political state. Not to mention the french involved in this... Belgium could split very soon.

Hell, I'd take Brussels if nobody wants it.

Belgium has a king. You could apply for the job if the country breaks up, settle in one of the provinces, and declare overlord-emperorship. :lol:

From what I understand it would be much better off as two countries anyhow, what with the culture differences and all. The map I saw though would leave two countries, one of which is land locked. That's generally not a good thing.

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

You mean having different cultures in a country makes it weaker? I guess someone should send a note to George Bush about that...

"Our diversity makes us stronger." pfft, that is a total load of crap. Diversity in a country leads to conflict and countries wanting to split apart like you have with Canada and Quebec wanting to secede.

He needs to go read The Federalist by Alexander Hamilton, James Madison, and John Jay.

Paper Number 2 by John Jay says:

"With equal pleasure I have as often taken notice, that Providence has been pleased to give this one connected country to one united people - a people descended from the same ancestors, speaking the same language, professing the same religion, attached to the same principles of government, very similar in their manners and customs and who, by their joint counsels, arms and efforts, fighting side by side throughout a long and bloody war, have nobly established the general liberty and independence."

Ambassadar.png

Belgium has a king. You could apply for the job if the country breaks up, settle in one of the provinces, and declare overlord-emperorship. :lol:

Oh, sure, I'd apply.

My resum̮̩̉̉ consists of a tank division, two zeppelins and a looped track of The Ride of the Valkyries.

By the way the whole Belgium splitting in two thing was a spoof by a news station. They just took something that might happen one day and messed with everyone's heads to try to make a point.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/6178671.stm

it is currently taking us over 170 days to form a government. That happened a while ago, but right now Belgium is in a serious crisis.

I do not think, however, that we are going to split anytime soon. Each region will just get more autonomy.

I have no idea who would get Brussels, I only know that it would be a very long negotiation.

I do not know whether any split will actually happen, but if it does then Flanders will get Brussels. Look at the situation, the EU have a french president and Brussels is the capital of the EU. France have always been of the opinion that they are the main influence to the EU. The richest part will make the most of Brussels, and thats not the flemish.

Signature3.gif

With so many trees in the city you could see the spring coming each day until a night of warm wind would bring it suddenly in one morning. Sometimes the heavy cold rains would beat it back so that it would seem that it would never come and that you were losing a season out of your life. But you knew that there would always be the spring as you knew the river would flow again after it was frozen. When the cold rains kept on and killed the spring, it was as though a young person had died for no reason. In those days though the spring always came finally but it was frightening that it had nearly failed.

By the way the whole Belgium splitting in two thing was a spoof by a news station. They just took something that might happen one day and messed with everyone's heads to try to make a point.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/6178671.stm

That's not quite the point.. 8-) Nobody said the country has yet split in two. Even the article says

"Our intention was to show Belgian viewers the intensity of the issue of the future of Belgium and the real possibility of Belgium no longer being a country in a few months," Yves Thiran, head of news at RTBF, told the BBC.

Also some politicians were in on the joke, so it had some acceptance to act as a shock for Belgians. They made it really look as if the flemish people declared independence. Because that might just happen very soon if they don't form a government. It's soon been 7 months since the elections with nobody in power.

America would get it. Don't ask how, just accept it.

whalenuke.png

Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

angel2w.gif

Ok, some people really don't know what they are talking about. I live in Belgium, I follow politics and there's nothing really different from the situation 10 years ago.

It's just hard to form a government, because there are issues about small areas and the rights for the french speaking belgians.

Brussels would be an independent state if Belgium ever splits, which I doubt because it would be such a mess and completely unnessecary.

signature4s.jpg

Oh, sure, I'd apply.

My resum̮̩̉̉ consists of a tank division, two zeppelins and a looped track of The Ride of the Valkyries.

My rebuttal: a squadron of B 17 Flying Fortresses, a load of anti-tank ordnance, and a looped track of Navras

whalenuke.png

Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

angel2w.gif

My rebuttal: a squadron of B 17 Flying Fortresses, a load of anti-tank ordnance, and a looped track of Navras

It doesn't quite have the same ring to it, nor the same punch of symbolism.

Ok, some people really don't know what they are talking about. I live in Belgium, I follow politics and there's nothing really different from the situation 10 years ago.

It's just hard to form a government, because there are issues about small areas and the rights for the french speaking belgians.

Brussels would be an independent state if Belgium ever splits, which I doubt because it would be such a mess and completely unnessecary.

Exactly, the stuff I've read on this thread... =;. Please, if you don't know what you're talking about, just shut up, before my faith in some of you gets badly injured... Flanders has no claim over Brussels and actually, it's been many decades since the "French" (Walloons would be the correct term) were the wealthiest. The Flemish Government hasn't the faintest idea how to spend their wealth.

Should Belgium split in the next few years, and that is far from likely, Brussels will probably be neither Flemish, nor Walloon territory. They'll make it EU or a microstate like Monaco or Liechtenstein (that's what the Bruxellois have in mind themselves). We are in a crisis, that is true, but those who wish to seperate may shout the loudest, but are far outnumbered by those who don't want to seperate. Quite frankly, most Belgians are more worried by the increasing prices (oil,...) than by independence.

Also, from a cultural point of view, the Flemish have much more in common with the Walloons than with -say- the Dutch, even though they supposedly speak the same language. Belgium is often compared with a seemingly bad marriage: both partners quarrel all the time, but try to come between them and they'll take vengeance on you with a before unseen understanding.

Well I will admit I don't know what I am talking about on this topic. :wink:

I just posted that BBC article since no one had posted an article and thats what I found when I did a web search to try to help out.

Be sure to keep us posted on what is going on anyone that is from Belgium. I would be curious to keep up with this.

Ambassadar.png

I hope my country won't split. We're havin a stupid political crisis over nothing...

Who would get brussels well i think they would need a year or 3 to deicide that... It would probably be like what Sumpta13 is saying, I think.

I hope we get to re-vote, the biggest partie (CD&V-N.VA) would lose votes and i'd love that to happen, I would also be able to vote for my first time! I'll make a huge difference! :roll:

pi.jpg

200512ilovednboe9.jpg

..::Attack, Mage, Ranged & Hitpoints 99 | Total DK Drops: #223++::..