replacing what was lost

ixfd64

With the recent updates, Jagex said that it would add content to replace what was lost, and that the newer updates would make the original content even better. Unfortunately, while Jagex did attempt to replace some of the things, it didn't do a perfect job.

One idea is to open a few servers for veterans, such as players with over a certain amount of EXP. These "veteran" worlds would have no limits for trading, staking, and PKing. Thus, gold farmers who create accounts just to sell gold wil be unable to use these worlds.

For a more practical solution, here are my ideas on how to replace and improve content that was lost.

1. rune running

Unless Jagex's upcoming trade restrictions will grant more leeway for making rune-essence trades, then it will be dead.

Solution: Add NPCs in the air and law altars that will "unnote" essence for a fee. For the air altar: there would be three NPCs who will "unnote" essence until the player's inventory is filled. The NPCs will "unnote" essence for 40, 60, and 80 GP each, respectively. To emulate the fact that paying runners more GP will get more runners, the NPCs will "unnote" for the player every 30, 20, and 15 seconds, respectively. For the law altar, an NPC will offer two options: "unnote" for the player for free every one minute, or charge the player 100 GP per essence. Finally, these NPCs should be on all worlds, not just the "original" running worlds.

2. General shop merchanting

Before the Grand Exchange, players could buy items like from the general shop for low prices, but it is no longer possible.

Solution: It is very impractical to transfer items with general shop, especially with non-stackable ones. Plus, it's still pretty costly, though. However, it was possible for people to transfer rares on non-busy servers. A good solution would be to allow players to buy for the original low prices on busy worlds. After all, no-one would transfer there, and busy worlds are the best for general shop merchanting, anyway! :)

3. private drop parties

With the party room update, we can no longer have private drop parties. as they would be crashed by noobs.

Solution: The party room is an extremely inefficient way of transfering. As far as I know, balloons "despawn" after some time, after which the item is destroyed. The players should be able to choose whether their party is advertised. As for manual item drops, a side benefit prevents drop traders from transfering items. However, no-one in their right mind would drop trade in a busy place. Jagex should change it so that tradable items, regardless of market value, will always appear if there are more than 15 people within a certain radius of the player.

4. merchanting

With the upcoming trade restrictions, merchanting will be dead.

Solution: NPC merchants can be added. For example, a NPC might occasionally pop up and sell coal for 150 GP each. At another place, an NPC might buy a certain amount of coal for 200 GP each. There would be many of such NPCs.

5. dragon imp hunting and monster drops

With the upcoming trade restrictions, players will no longer be able to pay "scouts" for locating dragon imps, or share the profit of single items.

Solution: If a player catches a dragon imp, they will be able to transfer up to 80% of the loot during the next hour. For monster drops, such as a dragon chain, the player should be able to transfer up to the value of the items they gained during the next day. For example, if a player gets a 25m drop a 10m drop an hour later, the player will be able to transfer up to 35m during the next 23 hours, and 10m for one more hour.

6. PKing

The Bounty Hunter wrecked PKing, and it is no longer possible to randomly PK outside the BH area.

Solution: Jagex added revenants as a replacement, but the ideas are only half-baked. For one, revenants should drop high level stuff, such as full rune, or a few hundred rune arrows, which a PKer would usually drop. However, some should still drop nothing. This is to reflect the fact that some players PK with only one item. To make things more realistic, only some revenants would be aggresive, and some revenants should also use trash talk, much like the Evil Chicken does. Also, revenants would gather in more popular places, such as Edgeville.

7. Staking

High staking was replaced with the duel tournaments, but it was reported that the tournaments are much harder to win, thus costing stakers.

Solution: Players would be able to stake against NPCs, within 3k of either side. Sometimes, the NPC would put up the stake, which the player has to match, and sometimes vice versa. To make things fair, one half of the rules will be chosen by the NPC, and the player can choose the rest.

8. Getting loot from death drops

There's few things mroe fun than getting something from a macroer's death pile. An idea is to make it so that regular players can see what the player has dropped; however, if the loot isn't collected before the gravestone despawns, then the loot would be available to everyone.

Transfer of wealth

To balance the economy, the wealth that is transfered to the replacement NPCs should be given back to the circulation. For example, if an NPC made one billion GP from "unnoting," then that one billion GP should go back into the player circulation. For example, an NPC that has gained one billion GP might randomly put it into the party chest! :D

ixfd64.png

ARENAscape:

Baratus [AS] max hit: 166 with Moon Battle Hammer

ixfd64 [AS] max hit: 116 with (untitled spell #2)

Transfer of wealth

To balance the economy, the wealth that is transfered to the replacement NPCs should be given back to the circulation. For example, if an NPC made one billion GP from "unnoting," then that one billion GP should go back into the player circulation. For example, an NPC that has gained one billion GP might randomly put it into the party chest! :D

The unnoting is to replace the system that's been used (i.e. sell noted items and repurchase in regular form for a loss).

Paying an NPC to do that is the same thing, provided the cost is comparable. No need to add the money back into the economy.

o_knames.png

Maxed total levels

Remaining for Completionist Cape: Livid Farm spell (Borrowed Power)

No one is perfect and therefore no one can do a perfect job :)

The problem with veteran servers is that they would take so much time to create and there will be people there who will continue to gold farm and auto. They'll just be more careful about losing their accounts and might even create a few a couple months in advance just in case they lose their current ones.

As for ess running, I think that would actually be a good idea, but wouldn't that just cut out the runners since people could simply just stand in the air place and just keep leveling? Therefore, the runners would be useless. I think making a system more like the GE would be a good idea. Basically the runners go there, talk to npc to give unnoted ess, wait for the crafter to take the offer, and get 2k + ess back in return. Aka the crafter gives 2k + noted ess to the npc and the runner gives unnoted for 2k and noted ess.

I disagree with the general store idea. What is considered a "busy" world at one point will be an "unbusy" world within seconds if it's teetering on the edge of the limit. Even on busy worlds, it wouldn't be hard to buy rares from general stores. If you're expecting the item to be there unlike others who aren't, you have a huge advantage and can easily buy it before other people can even see it.

For the 15 people in a certain radius idea, I disagree. A sweat shop can simply just get 15 people into an upstairs room in some random house and have his own "drop party" to drop trade all of the employee's cash. And once again, when you are expecting it and know where it will be dropped, you will have a huge advantage of getting it over other people. As for the party area idea, eh... I don't think so. There are so many worlds that have no one there so it'd be easy to drop trade (again).

I don't understand how your idea of merchanting would help... It just seems a little illogical. It wouldn't help merchanting, but make merchanting more of a sport of running around between npcs and waiting for them to spawn... Plus, I think Jagex is trying to slowly kill off the places where large amounts of money are being made such as the duel arena and the merchanting business. They're making the game more skill based.

I like your imp hunting and monster drops idea, however, I think these time spans should be a little less, but then again, I've never had scouts and never kqed before...

I completely agree with your pking idea. Make the revenants drop things pkers would actually bring to the wildy instead of 500 gp... Perhaps a rune full, rune legs, rune kite, etc for the mid levels. Addy, mith armor for the lower ones. And a little rarer but still possible drops of whip, barrow pieces, and maybe d skirt/legs. Of course the higher level drops cannot be very often because of the likelihood of dying. If this were to be implements, I do not think graveyards should be in the wildy. Instead your items disappear and are unclaimable or the graveyard timing should be cut in half. This is to prevent players who go there over and over again with friends protecting their items and therefore not losing anything.

Eh, I disagree with the NPC staking. It's making the game too much based on pvc and therefore changing the game way too much. I would simply just raise the staking limit. Plus, staking was meant to be a place for friends to have fun, but ended up as a huge money making business.

There's few things mroe fun than getting something from a macroer's death pile. An idea is to make it so that regular players can see what the player has dropped; however, if the loot isn't collected before the gravestone despawns, then the loot would be available to everyone.

The transfer of wealth would one again be making rs too much of a pvc game. I would suggest using the idea I placed earlier for rune running. It is basically the same, but without the 1 bill drop parties and not interaction between players and dependence of players upon other players, keeping the community interacting.

What you are saying is to make certain NPCs take the place of positions formerly heald by players before the last few month's updates. This is by no means a bad idea. However, just remember it is impossible for a machine to perfectly mimic a human.

yeah some of it is good but alot isn't with JAgex's cunrrent policy of no unbalanced trades.

So as a 99 hunter, i would like to share drag imps drop but jagex would never allow such a high transfer of items.

I don't think npc's acting as staking partners would work; they wouldn't have good tactic like real players and they would still trasnfer too much to players in jagex's terms. :cry:

img.cfm?img=41871

Yeah...Some people just go out of their way to ruin other peoples fun.
Sounds like Jagex to me...

none of the updates you listed are compatible with what jagex wants the game to be.

Million dollar question: What does Jagex want it to be?

Solution: Add NPCs in the air and law altars that will "unnote" essence for a fee. For the air altar: there would be three NPCs who will "unnote" essence until the player's inventory is filled. The NPCs will "unnote" essence for 40, 60, and 80 GP each, respectively. To emulate the fact that paying runners more GP will get more runners, the NPCs will "unnote" for the player every 30, 20, and 15 seconds, respectively. For the law altar, an NPC will offer two options: "unnote" for the player for free every one minute, or charge the player 100 GP per essence. Finally, these NPCs should be on all worlds, not just the "original" running worlds.

I'd personally like to see this kind of an option on every rune type except death&astral, not just those two. If we now got a smooth way of leveling rc, even for a loss, where xp doesn't depend on other people, it would totally break the bubble and cause a serious oversupply of certain runes. Few weeks ago the only reason why many people including myself didn't visit w66 laws more than like once a month was those factors. When the xp depends on other people (amount of runners, etc) and you are depending on their trading, needing to type 27 all the time and so on, it gets boring really quickly. A system like that isn't comparable to this and because of the risk of serious oversupply of certain runes, I'd like to see it on all runes.

Solution: The party room is an extremely inefficient way of transfering. As far as I know, balloons "despawn" after some time, after which the item is destroyed. The players should be able to choose whether their party is advertised. As for manual item drops, a side benefit prevents drop traders from transfering items. However, no-one in their right mind would drop trade in a busy place. Jagex should change it so that tradable items, regardless of market value, will always appear if there are more than 15 people within a certain radius of the player.

I personally don't agree with this. That system would be too vulnerable for RWIT, even tho it isn't as practical for it as dropping used to be. I'd personally lose few drop parties than see more dramatic and shocking updates in future because of a loophole found from the system.

Solution: NPC merchants can be added. For example, a NPC might occasionally pop up and sell coal for 150 GP each. At another place, an NPC might buy a certain amount of coal for 200 GP each. There would be many of such NPCs.

What's the point in that? Is buying stuff and selling for profit really that fun? Seriously you'd need to stock up on sick amounts of coal to make any reasonable profit with a system like that and it would actually create more gp, unlike the old merchanting.

I personally don't see a reason why this many NPC's should be brought into the game to replace the old stuff. NPC pkers or stakers imo sound either something that will definately either get abused or will cause a lot of ranting at forums. I already hear in my ears how 12-year-old kids are crying at Edge how Jagex stole their gp/phats/life/armours/whatever with glitched monsters while others brag how they've found a way to win every time.

If we can't get the old stuff back (which I wouldn't even really want to see, as it would be a clear sign for ranters to keep doing the same stuff after every non-wanted update and the old problems would come back), we should watch to the future how this game could become better. New stuff like summoning will definately drag people tighter towards this game and rants will vanish. However if we bring some panic replacements to the game (I'd for example call those npc merchants with that name), it's just waste of time.

People have ranted and protested many times during the history of RS. Some may still remember the introduction of Wilderness and P2P (not that they were this kind of surprised, tho), RS2 divided people into 2 categories as the older alternative was left, modifying PC caused riots, bigger mass bans in RSC caused riots, etc. Of course people are overreacting when something big happens and it's the masshysteria affect here. Many people are joining the rioters as they see it as the only way to say how they feel and want to get the feeling of being part something. Thinking replacements or protesting won't help here, we need to think something new. There's already many good suggestions going around rs forums as well people are finding new ways to play this game and handle the situation. During bigger changes like this the human blood is being weighted.

signaturehoh.jpg

I'd rather die for what I believe in than live for anything else.

Name Removed by Administrator ~Turtlefemm

You forgot the trash talking after a pk. To replace that I suggest that after a player kills a revenant, the said npc will appear in edge bank and say stuff like "you are a sad pker noob, "congratz on killing me when I had no food" or "I am going to get on my high level main now and kill you everytime you set foot in wild." :shame:

You forgot the trash talking after a pk. To replace that I suggest that after a player kills a revenant, the said npc will appear in edge bank and say stuff like "you are a sad pker noob, "congratz on killing me when I had no food" or "I am going to get on my high level main now and kill you everytime you set foot in wild." :shame:

i seriously started to laugh when ir ead this :thumbsup: :lol:

Yeah, ever since the wild change it's just not the same. I find myself yelling "You're a NOOB!" at myself in the mirror. But it's just not as fulfilling....

"Here lies one whose name was writ in water."

• 2 weeks later...

for your 5th one, they could make it where you can only trade that amount to people that was in your lootshare group at that time. So scouters could join their clan chat/lootshare and be able to get half the profit/half the items.

sig.jpg

These are all nice suggestions and I like the idea about "veteran servers" very much. The problem with this idea though is that it would probably take a lot of effort from Jagex's side to create these worlds. But it's still a nice idea, and I think that it would solve quite a lot of the problems that RS have right now. Not all of them, but some of them.

lGxorje.png

Add me if you so wish: SwreeTak

You forgot the trash talking after a pk. To replace that I suggest that after a player kills a revenant, the said npc will appear in edge bank and say stuff like "you are a sad pker noob," "congratz on killing me when I had no food" or "I am going to get on my high level main now and kill you everytime you set foot in wild." :shame:

Yeah, ever since the wild change it's just not the same. I find myself yelling "You're a NOOB!" at myself in the mirror. But it's just not as fulfilling....

:lol: Yay, people like my suggestion. I somehow don't see Jagex adding this to the game, though. What a pity.

I have to agree with Hohto here - I don't think it's wise to attempt to recreate parts of the game that were lost. You won't be able to simulate the old game mechanics in a similiar way and with a similiar feeling anyway. Instead, it is very likely that it will only open new loopholes, like your suggestions (2) and (3).

Attempting to replace parts that were lost with NPC's shows to me you fail to recognize the importance of player-to-player interaction that actually made these game parts so popular. Instead, people would be much better off to think of new subgames that have a fun and foolproof player interaction.

Lastly, can people who rarely ever merchanted stop claiming that merchanting is dead. It is not, it has changed. There are some huge new profit opportunities. Yes, there is a significant player-interaction loss for merchanting in the new system as well - but you are not going to be able to replace that with NPC's no matter how much you try.