Marijuana, Is It Actually Bad?

wakka102

Marijuana IS BAD for you. No, you most likely won't die from an over dose, but it screws with you. Badly.

Before both of my older sisters started smoking they were getting A's in school. Now they're both in their 20's still living at home, not going to school. One flunked out and barely has a job.

Marijuana screws with your mind. It brings you down as a person.

To Bill Gates: do you sleep wearing pajamas?

Bill Gates: yes

me: Wearing pajamas causes success! Did you wear pajamas before you were successful?

BG: Nope

Me: not wearing pajamas causes failure!

Other things could have caused your sisters' situation. Pot may have helped, but it was probably not the only cause.

whalenuke.png

Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

angel2w.gif

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First off, I have a hard time calling marijuana a drug. It's a plant, a weed no less, that was found growing from the ground. This is in the same category as herbs like mint, thyme, basil, etc., as far as I'm concerned. It's been used for thousands and thousands of years for various reasons, possibly used by the very same cultures that make up the world today.

What's so bad about mind alteration? Let's call it a hobby. A hobby is defined as "an activity or interest pursued outside one's regular occupation and engaged in primarily for pleasure." By that definition, playing a game online for hours at a time is also considered a hobby. We all have different hobbies, and it's not right to insult other peoples' choices when it comes to how they wish to allocate their free time. So let's say smoking weed is one's hobby. Anything that gives pleasure can be psychologically addictive, because we as humans seek what makes us happy. So again, by that statement, it's possible to get addicted to an online role playing game (as I'm sure many who are reading this are), or a substance that alters the mind, or meditation, or reading, or exercising, or any number of things. Now I've grouped smoking weed other harmless pleasure-bringers, as I think is fair here. Are we on the same page now?

That said, mind alteration in any of it's forms (alcohol, weed, LSD, etc.) should only be used by those who are ready and mature enough for it. If not, the side effects are people "acting like idiots" or driving under the influence, or something along those lines. Teenagers who smoke at school or any chance they get would be classified as those not mature enough, but sadly that's where the majority of the population of smokers comes from. They grow up and still act like idiots. The people who are stupid are those who are always high, because the THC content in the body never gets a chance to lower, and it cumulates and just makes it so that the user can't think straight after a while. The term "abuse" is key here. Using substances, legal or illegal, is one thing, abusing them is a whole different game, one that I disagree with. Before you state your negative opinions, consider if you're against the use or the abuse of marijuana.

The feelings experienced after smoking weed I would describe as: slight numbing of the head and face, but not uncomfortable. Dulling of colors, almost like a sepia tone. It's easy to concentrate on something, like a song or a movie, but only one thing at a time. That said I can pick out individual instruments in a song to the point where I hear nothing else. A euphoric feeling where everything just feels right, and complete comfort. Although I can think clearly, talking isn't something I want to do. Judgment isn't impaired at all whatsoever. Hunger comes, but if it is ignored it passes. If the choice is made to eat, the experience is like eating after fasting for a day... the food just tastes amazing. As with sounds, I can pick out individual flavors. Normally funny situations are funnier, but only because you can relate to them on a different level. Creative thoughts flow like crazy, because the mind doesn't contradict itself. This makes writing easier, and better even, and art as well, and the mind is open. The only neutral parts of the experience are dried out eyes and mouth (I wear contacts, and they just seem to peel off my eyes), and sleepiness. I only get tired if I just sit around, but if I'm active it just doesn't come. Sometimes I'm kind of tired the next day from it, kind of like over sleeping.

All of the above are enjoyable experiences that are overlooked when someone says they are "getting high." It's a lot deeper than that. Look at it with an open mind. Everyone has reasons for doing what they do, and if a significant amount of people partake in this activity, there is a reason for it. The only people who should even have a valid opinion against marijuana use are those who have personally tried it enough times to understand the effects. I "get high" a few times a month, and to say that it controls my life in any way would be a lie. I carry a full-time job and a part-time job, am a full-time student, work out regularly, and my life hasn't change negatively in any way since occasional smoking. It's different for everyone, so don't generalize and say it ruins lives. I don't want to say that everything you hear about why it's bad is wrong, but explore things on your own, and don't believe everything you hear. Before I experienced marijuana, I was kind of like that, against it. From the outside all one sees is negatives, because the positives come with it's use, and that's something everyone who has a negative opinion must understand. Just think before you form a negative opinion, and put yourselves on the other side of the fence for a moment.

peterstretchfn5.gif

Marijuana IS BAD for you. No, you most likely won't die from an over dose, but it screws with you. Badly.

Before both of my older sisters started smoking they were getting A's in school. Now they're both in their 20's still living at home, not going to school. One flunked out and barely has a job.

me: Wearing pajamas causes success! Did you wear pajamas before you were successful?

Other things could have caused your sisters' situation. Pot may have helped, but it was probably not the only cause.

Possibly, but marijuana was the biggest factor.

rmstn1580.png

Possibly, but marijuana was the biggest factor.

And if they didn't do marijuana, I wouldnt be surpised if they turned around and took some other drug, which would likely have srewed them over even more.

2153_s.gif

When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. ~Jonathan Swift

userbar_full.png

Website Updates/Corrections here. WE APPRECIATE YOUR INPUT! Crewbie's Missions!Contributor of the Day!

Thanks to artists: Destro3979, Guthix121, Shivers21, and Unoalexi.

Seeing the examples of other students at my school, I'd say that marijuana should be illegal, along with tobacco and alcohol. Why? Because most of the people that have tried them aren't responsible enough. These irresponsible ones go around, drinking and smoking (cigarettes and pot) until they simply are wasted and can't go on. If only they had enough maturity and could do it more conscientiously, I'd have absolutely no trouble with them.

(For the record, I do have have tried, and sometimes drink alcohol, but I haven't tried anything smoked yet)

This signature is intentionally left blank.

Seeing the examples of other students at my school, I'd say that marijuana should be illegal, along with tobacco and alcohol. Why? Because most of the people that have tried them aren't responsible enough. These irresponsible ones go around, drinking and smoking (cigarettes and pot) until they simply are wasted and can't go on. If only they had enough maturity and could do it more conscientiously, I'd have absolutely no trouble with them.

While I agree that certain teens make poor decisions and use certain substances irresponsibly, I feel that making these substances illegal is not the best option. I'm sure you are well aware that, illegal as it may be, teens feel no guilt in smoking marijuana (law-wise).

Strangely enough, legalizing drugs and encouraging a better attitude towards responsible use has often shown to decrease substance abuse. Take France, for example, where young teens are often given alcohol at dinner and the drinking age is a mere 16 (it's barely enforced). Yet France has an extremely low rate of alcohol abuse among youth.

Nevertheless, the actions of a few irresponsible teens is no reason to ban a substance for the entire public.

Also, please keep in mind that the self-appointed "potheads" and drop-outs in your school only comprise a small fraction of marijuana users. If you make it to university/college, you may be surprised to find a large community of responsible marijuana users (none of which are high school drop-outs).

It destroys the brain its called dope for a good reason and apart from their being medical evidence to support this you can just travel on public transport for a day with the potheads and see the zombie effect for yourself.

Unlike other drugs it's users are in a state of denial, I cant blame them because If I smoked it I would rather belive what I WANT to belive than know the truth but Ive seen to much to be able to bring myself to even sit in the same room if I smell it im out of there.

~Dan64Au

Since 27 Aug 2002

It destroys the brain its called dope for a good reason and apart from their being medical evidence to support this you can just travel on public transport for a day with the potheads and see the zombie effect for yourself.

Unlike other drugs it's users are in a state of denial, I cant blame them because If I smoked it I would rather belive what I WANT to belive than know the truth but Ive seen to much to be able to bring myself to even sit in the same room if I smell it im out of there.

Isn't dope Cocaine?????

finally back in the game! send me a message, all my old friends quit

I laughed so hard I pooped my thong. :lol:

Isn't dope Cocaine?????

Not that ive heard of

nicknames probably change from place to place

~Dan64Au

Since 27 Aug 2002

I'm sorry to hear that.

It affects different people, differently.

There are many factors to take in to consideration other than using the drug its self.

igoddessIsig.png

The only people who tell you that you can't do something are those who have already given up on their own dreams so feel the need to discourage yours.

I scored a high distinction overall in substance abuse, but I still like a puff here and there :P

igoddessIsig.png

The only people who tell you that you can't do something are those who have already given up on their own dreams so feel the need to discourage yours.

Guest baronmaster

i hope you're joking if you think thats an analogy

Blah blah Blah
ahh ok I didn't look at your location, I'm USA and Dope is cocaine over here, and I'll have all the fun I want with Pot, but I refuse to touch cocaine, thats why I was like 'ummmm yea?" ohhh and this also goes for the majority of the smokers I know, (like 999 out of 1000)

finally back in the game! send me a message, all my old friends quit

I laughed so hard I pooped my thong. :lol:

i hope you're joking if you think thats an analogy

Yea, it really wasn't my best work, but it served the purpose of pointing out how ridiculous it is to atrribute one single thing to causing his sisters to drop out and such.

whalenuke.png

Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

angel2w.gif

Yea, it really wasn't my best work, but it served the purpose of pointing out how ridiculous it is to atrribute one single thing to causing his sisters to drop out and such.

I'm pretty sure he would know his sister's situation and what would have had the greatest effect in them dropping out.

summerpngwy6.jpg

The thing with people saying that Weed screwed their friend up, or family member up is crazy. There must be more to the story. There's a reason why it's called "the gateway drug". After people have tried pot, they might want to try lacing it, or try harder drugs, then you will be messed up.

goldenblade995.png

The thing with people saying that Weed screwed their friend up, or family member up is crazy. There must be more to the story. There's a reason why it's called "the gateway drug". After people have tried pot, they might want to try lacing it, or try harder drugs, then you will be messed up.

100% with this guy

What capitalism does to legalized soft drugs:

dscf0009kg8.th.jpg

(The logo on the tube is the logo of the coffee shop it was bought in)

Since everybody is doing the whole 'personal experience' thing, I guess I might as well explain a thing or two about the Dutch coffeeshop system...

Outside of the cities where soft drugs are a major source of tourism (Amsterdam is the main one, Maastricht is popular with drug tourists from Belgium, Germany and France) you'll usually find coffeeshops concentrated around the inner city. Their opening hours are generally limited by local ordinances, most commonly 8 hours a day, six hours a week. Most coffeeshops are open in the late afternoon and evening. All coffeeshops only sell to people 18 years and over.

The interior of the coffeeshop usually varies with the crowd. Some are typical hipster places with designer furniture and indy rock on the sound system. Others are a lot darker, looking more like a dive bar, with matching client̮̬̉̉le. In general you can order at a bar, then either smoke there or at a table. The actual ordering is done off a menu, and you can usually order both pre-rolled joints and just pot to roll your own. Pretty much every coffeeshop I've been to also has a small non-alcoholic bar, selling soft drinks, fruit juice, coffee, tea and snacks (varying candy bars to organic home baked bran muffins, again depending on the client̮̬̉̉le).

Marijuana use is generally accepted among most of the city population, although it still bears a taboo in more rural areas. Of all my friends, I'd say 95% has absolutely no problem with marijuana use (except for maybe the smell), and about 20% uses it at least once a month. I know a few people who would be considered 'stoners' in America, but none of them seem to have problems staying in school or keeping a job. As long as you don't show up to work high or let it affect your job performance, most employers don't have a problem with what you do in the privacy of your own home.

One of the major downsides of the tolerance policy is that it's pushing the supplying of the coffeeshops into the world of organized crime. Basically you're allowed to grow up to five plants for private use, which is of course nowhere near enough to supply a coffeeshop. Still, the police cracks down on large-scale growers, and only organized crime usually has the resources to stay ahead of the police. Of course this leads to competition, which leads to drug-related violence. The Christian Democrat Party and Christian Union Party who hold about 60% of the parliament seats within the current coalition are dragging their feet on full legislation, even though by now soft drug use has become so pervasive that recriminalization would cause way more problems than it would solve. Right now they're discussing cracking down on so called growshops, which supply home growers with both the hardware and the information they would need. If these shops were closed down people would still be able to get the hardware they need at garden supply stores and places like that, but without information on how to use stuff like heat lamps safely, things could get very risky indeed.

As for why it is illegal - the main party responsible is the lobby of cotton farmers, who realized that hemp, as a far superior source of natural fibers, could potentially ruin them. To give you an example: In response to the growing pressure on resources due to World War 2, Henry Ford designed and built a car made out of resin-stiffened hemp fibres that could run on ethanol extracted from hemp.

Great post necro. :)

I have a few questions if you don't mind...

- How are the prices? And do they tax it?

- Do regular citizens ever buy directly from the black market (dealers) or do they mostly use coffee shops?

- Has commercialism (brand names, logos, added ingredients/chemicals, whatever) badly affected the marijuana, or is it still good?

- If your government legalized marijuana to the point that coffee shops needn't buy from the black market, would it help or hinder the situation?

- Can you still find a variety of strains (white widow, etc) or do you just get mystery bud?

I'm hoping to travel to the Netherlands this summer. :)

- Do regular citizens ever buy directly from the black market (dealers) or do they mostly use coffee shops?

- Has commercialism (brand names, logos, added ingredients/chemicals, whatever) badly affected the marijuana, or is it still good?

- If your government legalized marijuana to the point that coffee shops needn't buy from the black market, would it help or hinder the situation?

beaten to it with almost the same post :wink:

- Can you still find a variety of strains (white widow, etc) or do you just get mystery bud?

you said white widow and made me chuckle to myself, cuz i didnt know it was so well known :P

(Where i live its considered one of the best, to the rookies of the sport anyway)

im looking forward to a response to your questions mate

coolio0wjos1.jpg

My WoW character, gnome warlock Saldomar