Will the Release of Summoning Drop an Old p2p Skill Down?

warshadow212

With the new updates, we can def. see a possibility of a p2p skill being brought down. So far, many of you have chosen:

Thieving, Fletching, and Herblore

as the serious potential candidates.

Some of you also think no skill should be brought down. Reasons why?

1) "I'm p2p. I pay for it. You don't. Don't beg." - Somewhat valid reasoning. Already had bashed this one though (ads $ >>> p2pers $).

2) Update the skills f2p already has. I like this one. Crafting could be upped to create bracelets in f2p, or green dhide (seeing the release of green dragons in f2p possibly?). Or rune arrows dropping into f2p, since dragon arrows are now the new hot ranging ammo.

This is a summary of all your replies. Remember, to each his own, and you're entitled to your own opinion. May I remind you that FLAMING WILL NOT BE TOLERATED. Also, no off-topic posts in here please? We're talking about the possibility, if Summoning doesn't become partially-f2p, there might be a possibility, a slight chance, that a p2p skill will be dropped down into f2p status.

Thanks for the brainstorming, fellow players. Keep it up!

~WSW~

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is always a possibility of a skill being moved or partially put into free. Jagex has done it before and they can do it again.

BTW, 99 Atk/Str/Def/Mag/Range/HP = 126 cmb - Yeah this is true if you have 98+ prayer. Otherwise, you would definitely NOT have 126.

I have 126 combat and certainly do not have 99 range. (Thank goodness) That will give me something simple to work on when I want to max out my skills. :)

99 Att, Str, Def, HP, magic, cook, fire, wc, mining, fletch, prayer, fish, farm

Over 2100 skill

134 combat

I actually asked my frineds what they thought about a f2p new skill, and they said the chances were very small, and they wouldn't want it for f2p anyways. The way i see it is that Jagex just gave F2P a huge update (BH, clan wars and dueling arena) so chances are they won't update f2p for some time now. The last big f2p update was the SOS witch was very helpful to f2p'ers and that was a bit over a year ago if im correct, so the pattern for the past 2 updates are just under a year between them.

99 Fletching 99 Attack 99 Constitution 99 Cooking 99 Strength

Gamertag: H8tebringer

h8tebringer-siggy-bloodskull-1.jpg

However, to the balance of slayer/farming/construction/hunter that p2p's seen since the switch from RSC to RS2, I see a couple skills that could potentially be dubbed down to f2p status (only 1 out of these might possibly be chosen to be f2p):

1) Fletching: Mages have RCing (RuneCrafting), Warriors have Smithing, Rangers need Fletching in f2p. Evens things out for everyone. Money market for beginners. Money saturates into the economy, to the point, prices will go back up again like normal.

2) Construction: could be dubbed down to the point where f2pers could build a basic house, with a limit of max 10 rooms. (10 max could be changed, however, to a lower number)(no portal room for f2pers ). Money drainage from an already-dumbed down f2p economy. :S We already have estate agents stationed in Fally and Varrock, it's plausible.

3) Herblore: extensive items/ingredients that will saturate the market. Herblore market is pretty stable, and will make f2pers possibly join p2p. Make atk/str/def/energy/antipoison/restore potions creatable in f2p, rest p2p. Creates high demand for new skill items & ingredients, will boost a stagnant p2p herblore market. Opens Taverly up to do Druidic Ritual to start Herblore. Demand for ingredients of the new skill will rise high, so prices will rise. Try selling a wfv for more than 110 gp, you'll see high demand for wfv's, herbs, and 2nd ingredients in the f2p market. I heard revs poison in f2p, so why not? Perfect intro to the safety of those who go into the wildy.

4) Agility: Why I believe this is the most potent skill to be dubbed down to f2p - we can already recover run energy faster, if agility lvl > 1. I have 31 agil, from my time in p2p, and I find somewhat of an advantage with it, thankfully, than with 1 Agility. Brimhaven can easily be opened up for the Agility Arena. (No Shilo Village/Tai Bwo Wannai for f2p though, please). Run energy recovery carries over from p2p to f2p. Why not make it a skill to level up, without raising combat?

Interesting ideas on the future of RuneScape in 2008, warriorshadow. I like the way you analyse the different skills and compare how they could be used in f2p. However, I'll also like to add my opinions to your suggestions.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fletching:Interesting skill to bring to F2P, may increase variety of fighters (more rangers) in runescape. Currently, most rangers in F2P are reliant on drops and the arrows shop in Varrock to obtain arrows.Best candinate for Jagex to bring to F2P...

Construction:No doubt the skill everyone wants. To be able to make your own house to have parties and actual 'fun' PvP battles in. This probably won't make it though.

By the way, at level 1 construction the maximum number of rooms is 20 for members. Will this be different from the 10 rooms you suggested for F2P? Also, the houses avaliable are "located" in members-only cities.

Herblore:Not likely, as most herbs and ingredients require access to member-areas. Even the basic empty vial must be bought in stores in member areas. Unless they make glass craftable in f2p (which will require MORE access to members areas), herblore is simply unable to work in f2p.

Agility:A interesting idea; too bad it will only remain a idea. A good number of training courses are in the members world, the only exception being the Wildeness Agility Course (which requires a skill level of 52). Nowhere to train, apparently...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By my opinion, I think it is more likely that Jagex will update other elements of RuneScape for F2P (minigames ,monsters etc.) than drop a P2P skill down to F2P when Summoning comes out. It will be too complicated for the skills to be recoded for F2P.

P.S. All of you who argue about sending $$$ from Europe to USA to get P2P aren't making any sense. I live in Singapore, play F2P and I've to pay more to get P2P if I send my euros by mail...(Not to mention I'm 15 and broke...)

I'm not whining.

Don't whine about F2P Players being cheap...

Don't whine about P2P Players being elitist....

I PLAY RUNESCAPE - DON'T YOU FLAME ME!

I've updated the rationale on my OT.

Construction - max 20 rooms , even if ur lvl 99 construction @ f2p. F2P - some rooms available to p2p are not creatable in f2p. Rooms that you've made in p2p, then if you go down to f2p, will not have their functionality. Rather a message of "You must be on a members' server to use this room." Will pop up, kinda like tryin to go to Taverly from Fally in f2p.

Herblore -

*Herbs (grimy) in f2p can be dropped by Men, Women, and other npc's on f2p that are able to drop these normally on p2p/GE.

**Mortar & pestle, vials can be bought in Taverly, assuming Herby becomes f2p, you need Taverly to do Druidic Ritual.

Atk Pot (3) - (lvl 3) - guam leaf + eye of newt (both attainable - eye of newt can be bought in Betty's Magic Shop in Port Sarim/GE)

Antipoison Pot (3) - (lvl 5) - marrentill + ground unicorn horn (both attainable if unicorns drop horns in f2p/GE, you're able to buy mortar & pestle in Taverly/GE)

Str Pot (3) - (lvl 12) - tarromin + limpwurt root (both attainable - NPC drops/GE)

Stat Restore Pot (3) - (lvl 22) - harralander + red spiders' eggs (both attainable - eggs from Varrock Sewers/GE)

Energy Pot (3) - (lvl 26) - harralander + chocolate dust (both attainable - Chocolate bars/dust on GE; Cooks' Guild)

Def Pot (3) - (lvl 30) - ranarr weed + whiteberries (both attainable as long as JaGEx puts a bush or two in f2p areas)

Agility - add Wildy Course. Or add a new f2p agility course.

~WSW~

Definitely not Herblore, as nonmembers would need access to Taverly and its dungeon.

I think fletching is the most likely one.

I would like construction too, so all my money spent on my house doesn't go to waste when I go back to f2p.

All members skills are built around the entire member world, impossible to drop them down into f2p without opening up huge portions of the map.

Its not gonna happen, f2p don't get huge updates. Simple as.

Fletching, Theiving, Herblore, and construction can all be done without adding too much

I would hate to see fletching become f2p because the cape would become more common than the cooking cape

Hephaestos8.gif

All members skills are built around the entire member world, impossible to drop them down into f2p without opening up huge portions of the map.

Its not gonna happen, f2p don't get huge updates. Simple as.

Fletching, Theiving, Herblore, and construction can all be done without adding too much

I would hate to see fletching become f2p because the cape would become more common than the cooking cape

Skill capes are still members though, and that means you would have to go to members to buy it. Is this what Jagex wants? There will be an increase, but I don't think it'll be by much. Fletching maple longs only goes so far.

Idk, the only one I think is possible is fletching, but you won't be able to fletch much for money because there are no yew longs in f2p, no bs in f2p, and no maple logs in f2p. Best people can do is take those willows out of GE and just simply level fletching while making 10 gp by selling it to the general store.

I personally think that Jagex will be forced to make summoning f2p because imagine duel arenas and BH. Members would have higher cb lvls even though they probably can't use summoning in f2p worlds. If they are able to use summoning in f2p worlds, that would just completely unbalance the combat in f2p.

Although I am open to these ideas, I highly doubt that Jagex will implement herblore (because they need to open up a new area and create herb drops for f2p), construction (What's the point of an f2p house? No glory, no portal, a little bland imo), agility (too much work opening up a new arena and where can you even place it? Plus, the wildy agility arena's in p2p only area.), and fletching (not very profitable and too much adjustment) into f2p worlds. I believe the only plausible idea is dropping summoning into f2p worlds just because there will be too much of a combat difference between f2p and p2p otherwise.

blingkachi - thx for at least acknowledging the fact I was p2p. Thats where the niceties end. I won't pay if there's no old wildy and no ridiculous trade limitations (notice, I didn't say "no trade limitations at all"). I'm not whining at all. I don't think you read it through, you probably skimmed it. Read carefully, use a dicitionary if you're having trouble with the big words, k?

darkluniux - yes, this is pure speculation! give yourself a pat on the back. I'm not a JMod, or a PMod, to clarify. (I could have been, had I not told ya - the air was not clear on that fact.) I can't make decisions that will affect all players; i.e. I'm not JaGEx. So, congrats on the obvious. captain.

YES, people, this is all PURE SPECULATION! I don't think, however, that you read the part where I said that this was to counter-measure the thread on "Summoning F2P?" I mean, if that theory is possible, this theory that I clarified, is possible.

~WSW~

Fletching - I can see a possibility, with restrictions set so that you can't make any members objects, or rune arrows.

Construction - I can also see a possibility of this being F2P, with only the ability to make lower level furniture, thus enticing free players to go members for the useful things such as portals.

Thieving/Agility - I put two of these skills together because they both have the same reasoning for me. I think the chance of these becoming F2P is very small, because even if F2P is given just the bare bones, there's not much to make them want to become members.

Upgrading Current Free Skills - I believe the chance of this happening is small also, because the point of adding something to F2P is not to give the free players some new high level content or entertaining thing to do, but to entice the newer players into wanting to become members.

Ultimately the question is, what will entice them more, giving them a taste of a skill and having them think, "If I become a member, I'll be able to train this skill easier/get more rewards from it!" Or by not adding anything to F2P and hoping that they make a leap of faith for skills and content which they have never tried and know very little to nothing about.

Older players know that Fletching is profitable at higher levels because they have either become members and tried it, learning about what happens after level 70 or have spent their RS careers as non-members hearing about it. New players however don't have any time under their belt to have heard about it, so that only leaves them with the option of trying it, which as a free player isn't possible.

So what's better? Spending a while not paying because you don't know yet that is fun and profitable, or getting a taste of it right away, and becoming a member because you know that the good parts of the skill are only available there.

Jagex doesn't base their decisions on which populous deserves it more, they base it on what decision will bring in more revenue.

I think if one skill has to move to f2p, it'll be fletching, but only the arrows part, because you don't need to add a thing, just the ability to make arrow tips, and with a cap to addy.

"hasta la victoria siempre."

Beated Monkey madness lvl76.

Beated haunted mine at lvl 77.

cmb +75 and total +930 all stats +46 before p2p.

Al f2p stats +50 (15/02/08)

While I would like to see F2P get alittle taste of construction, I think that the easiest and most possible option for Jagex is to just give F2P a small portion of summoning. I don't think Jagex would go low enough to rub summoning in F2P's face with those development diaries, and then make it members...

Your thoughts are as good as mine though, I never thought about the possibility that they would just give us an old skill instead.

Penguin Power!

MSSW3sig.png

^The last great war of the Wilderness....

Yeah, I don't have a cool signature, so the MSSW3 sig will have to do....

Its not really going to happen. :?

F2P never get updates, so, if they get one, like the bankspace, then they're good for a year or two more.

I have all the 99s, and have been playing since 2001. Comped 4/30/15 

My Araxxi Kills: 459::Araxxi Drops(KC):

Araxxi Hilts: 4x Eye (14/126/149/459), Web - (100) Fang (193)

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)
Boss Pets: Supreme - 848 KC

If you play Xbox One - Add me! GT: Urtehnoes - Currently on a Destiny binge 

Its not really going to happen. :?

F2P never get updates, so, if they get one, like the bankspace, then they're good for a year or two more.

They got Dual arena and Willdy capes :P <.<

if anything i would like them to be able to visit house parties ::'

But not be able to train the skill, just visit and have a laugh there (all teleports except f2p teles would be disabled)

Zaroterasu.png