Personal defense

MC_Kejml

I can run away. :P

Parkour :P

(I don't think I own anything bigger than a pocket knife, never been much for weapons)

Pfft, lotta good that'll do ya in an open area or out on the streets :P . Being a fast runner would be much more useful :-w .

Unfortunatly, I can do neither. :(
iteme3721.jpg

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can run away. :P

(I don't think I own anything bigger than a pocket knife, never been much for weapons)

Pfft, lotta good that'll do ya in an open area or out on the streets :P . Being a fast runner would be much more useful :-w .

Who's to say the two don't go hand in hand? :P

First, I'm a second degree black-belt. I've also taken Israeli Special Services fighting style classes for two+ years.

I always have a pocket knife on me at all times, sharpened to the point it cleanly cuts a peice of paper that is tossed into the air

I plan on getting a concealed carry license as soon as I hit 18, then I will be able to have a firearm.

It is impossible to exaggerate the unimportance of almost everything.

I don't believe in any over-structured eastern-martial arts. If you are in a real fight all you need is to know something that your opponent doesn't and anticipate how they are going to attempt to achieve the same end. Rocks work well to that end. Or pans. Or really anything that they don't see coming. For the past three or so years I have got together with a friend who is an avid student of Western martial arts and we spar with various blunted weapons from his collection. What we have both learned from the process is that the most important two things to winning any fight are to know yourself and know your enemy. However it is also important to recognize that if you go looking for fights you will eventually meet somebody who can beat you. It's best to be peaceful as much as you are able.

"He is no fool who gives up that which he can not keep to gain that which he can not lose."

--Jim Elliot

"You must picture me alone in that room in Magdalen, night after night, feeling, whenever my mind lifted even for a second from my work, the steady, unrelenting approach of Him whom I so earnestly desired not to meet. That which I greatly feared had at last come upon me. In the Trinity Term of 1929 I gave in, and admitted that God was God, and knelt and prayed: perhaps, that night, the most dejected and reluctant convert in all England. I did not then see what is now the most shining and obvious thing; the Divine humility which will accept a convert even on such terms. The Prodical Son at least walked home on his own two feet. But who can duly adore that love which will open the high gates to a prodigal who is brought in kicking, struggling, resentful, and darting his eyes in every direction for a chance of escape? The words compelle intrare, compel them to come in, have been so abused by wicked men that we shudder at them; but, properly understood, they plumb the depth of the Divine mercy. The hardness of God is kinder than the softness of men, and His compulsion is our liberation."

--C.S.Lewis

What kind of school do you guys go to to need and moreso be allowed to carry brass knuckles? :-s

I never carry any kind of weapon, mainly because I'll end up forgetting about it and leaving it in my pocket or something. Next thing I know, I'm in school with a pocket knife. I would never need it anyway. My city is pretty dang high for crime rate, and I don't exactly live in the safest part of town, but I never go strolling around in the daylight, much less night. If I ever needed to defend myself, I'm competent with my fists.

I've done that SO many times it's not even funny. I usually just take it to the office, tell them what happened, get it back after school, and then go on with it. The secretary at my school is pretty understanding. Never got in any trouble due to it so as long as you don't freak out or brag to everyone that you brought a knife to school, it doesn't really matter.

It is impossible to exaggerate the unimportance of almost everything.

im a decent fighter and i usually dont pick fights so i should be alright :wink:

452436.jpg

In the time of peace prepare for war-General Patton

Dsk805 lvl 139 6* mage

Blink182lover lvl 100 7* mage

Founder and Current clan leader of: PunkRock Lovers(rank#4)

I live in a very safe city, one of the safest in the USA. I really doubt I'll get attacked on the streets. Of course, when I'm in Boston, it's a different story...But still. No, I don't carry anything that a regular person would call a weapon. Although at school I have a rubber band in my pocket just in case.

doublesmileyface1.png

Cenin pân nîd, istan pân nîd, dan nin ú-cenich, nin ú-istach.

Ithil luin eria vi menel caran...Tîn dan delu.

According to A Current Affair, my city is the most dangerous city in Australia. That just shows what a load of crap that show is.

But no, I don't carry anything for personal defense. I'm pretty good at talking, and I'm quite sure I could talk my way out of most fights. Also, there is the issue that I'm incredibly skinny and have no muscles, so there's no realy glory in beating me ina fight.

I don't know. I'm sure I'll get beaten up sometime, but hasn't happened yet, so I'm not too worried.

What city is it?

Oh and Off-Topic, ACA is full of [cabbage]. It's only good for givin the chasers material. :D

Dubbo.

West used to be dangerous, kind of. But then they (I don't actually know who "they" are. Coucil or Police I assume.) shipped off the people who were causing trouble to different cities.

Cool.

I study Tai Kwon Do, Shodokan Karate, and Goju-Ryu Karate. I don't carry around any weapons, though I do keep a pair of these in my dresser drawer, along with a 9-inch hunting knife.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... ai.svg.png

I see your sai and raise you a broadsword:

broadsword.jpg

I study Tai Kwon Do, Shodokan Karate, and Goju-Ryu Karate. I don't carry around any weapons, though I do keep a pair of these in my dresser drawer, along with a 9-inch hunting knife.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... ai.svg.png

I see your sai and raise you a broadsword:

img]http://www.trueedge.co.uk/images/broadsword.jpg[/img]

No way! If someone comes after me, I want it to be over in 1/4 of a second, not 1/5 of a second. Also, 2>1.

2153_s.gif

When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. ~Jonathan Swift

userbar_full.png

Website Updates/Corrections here. WE APPRECIATE YOUR INPUT! Crewbie's Missions!Contributor of the Day!

Thanks to artists: Destro3979, Guthix121, Shivers21, and Unoalexi.

Just because moving fast is a part of parkour doesn't mean someone who runs fast necessarily uses parkour :P .

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

When I get a Flail in real life, I might carry it around with me so if anyone gets me angry I could break all their limbs without too much effort...

If not I might just carry one of them sword-canes: a cane which has a sword concealed within.

My Last.Fm

LeekSpinner!!!

Random Furry Dance!!!

Proud to hate life, since not too long ago!!!

I've done that SO many times it's not even funny. I usually just take it to the office, tell them what happened, get it back after school, and then go on with it. The secretary at my school is pretty understanding. Never got in any trouble due to it so as long as you don't freak out or brag to everyone that you brought a knife to school, it doesn't really matter.

I took my backpack on a scout campout one time, and I had my swiss army knife in one of the pockets on the strap. I was walking around school for at least two weeks before I finally realized it was there :uhh: .

Yeah, I decided against carrying a pocket knife habitually after that.

p2gq.jpg

Just because moving fast is a part of parkour doesn't mean someone who runs fast necessarily uses parkour :P .

Oh, I was thinking the other way around. Though a lot of people use the underlying philosophy of finding the most efficient path a good deal more then they'd realize.

I don't carry any weapons, I think in general they escalate situations rather than diffuse them. If push comes to shove, a lighter placed inside the fist will take most people out.

I have had the misfortune of being hit with loads of weapons though - Brass knuckles, baseball bats, hammers, golf clubs, bottles and very nearly a home made petrol bomb. Much of that was in one night!

La lune ne garde aucune rancune.

I'm a high blue belt in Tae Kwon Do(Though should be brown(I was pulled out of it right before my brown belt test)) and a yellow belt in Kenpo. I know how to fight with a staff as well. Though I've never had to use any of these skills in real situations.

Though I never carry any of them with me, I own four swords, two shurikans, an axe, and a dagger, all of which stay in my room.

The crime rate in my area is very low so its very unlikely that I will run into trouble here, though its possible.

crim2ma.jpg

~^v^~Ex-Leader of the Divine Flames of Redemption~^v^~

I'm a high blue belt in Tae Kwon Do(Though should be brown(I was pulled out of it right before my brown belt test)) and a yellow belt in Kenpo. I know how to fight with a staff as well. Though I've never had to use any of these skills in real situations.

Though I never carry any of them with me, I own four swords, two shurikans, an axe, and a dagger, all of which stay in my room.

The crime rate in my area is very low so its very unlikely that I will run into trouble here, though its possible.

Is that even worth mentioning :| ? No offense, but did you just not like it or something and give up the second week?

And why the heck do you own shurikans o_O!?

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

I'm a black belt in karate but I'm not stupid enough to get into a fight whenever I can run, which I can do fairly well. My area isn't too rough for me, as I know most of the 'hard' people. We've had a couple of my sisters mates turn up on the door step after being beaten to a pulp though, which was pretty nasty.

ragenori9bosq4.gif

Thanks Venomai for this super sig and Kwimbob for the awesome avatar!

I got nothing but a can of deodorant and I sure as hell carry it with the lid off with my finger on the feakin button while walking through dark scary parks to get home. It hurts more than anything, trust me I tried by accident :(

A girl was raped 10 mins from my house a few weeks back :ohnoes: :ohnoes: so it's a pretty dodgy area to be honest.

I don't drive and my parents are too self absorbed to give me a lift to be on the safe side.

igoddessIsig.png

The only people who tell you that you can't do something are those who have already given up on their own dreams so feel the need to discourage yours.

@ lemeja: Well, if you're 18, you can buy some in local self-defence stores ( there is always one in an supermarket), or, you can buy some from foreigners' stalls (and boy do they have a complement of them!)

@ NOM_ANOR: Frogman is right - as long you dont show them, you are allright :)

sizegf9.jpg

^ my book :^_^:

I don't play anymore, but I'm grateful I played through the best RS times!

No, there is no need. The only thing I would see it acceptable to carry would be a girl having some pepper spray. When going to university I live right in the middle of the city, i have never had any trouble, there is no need for knives and short swords much less a gun. Whenever i see people buying swords I feel sorry for them. I also think all this martial arts buisness is hilarious, good luck with that.

Signature3.gif

With so many trees in the city you could see the spring coming each day until a night of warm wind would bring it suddenly in one morning. Sometimes the heavy cold rains would beat it back so that it would seem that it would never come and that you were losing a season out of your life. But you knew that there would always be the spring as you knew the river would flow again after it was frozen. When the cold rains kept on and killed the spring, it was as though a young person had died for no reason. In those days though the spring always came finally but it was frightening that it had nearly failed.