Dealing with Scabaras complete walkthrough (with maps)

mario_sunny

[hide=Items needed]Note you do not have to bring all of these at once, you can always re-bank

• [*:35gcj1p3]Super set(4 dose)

[*:35gcj1p3]At least 15 monkfish+

[*:35gcj1p3]3 prayer potions(4 dose)

[*:35gcj1p3]1 relicym's balm (4 dose) and super antipoison(4 dose) OR Sanfew serum(4 dose)

[*:35gcj1p3]Several waterskins, shantay passes, and white robes

[*:35gcj1p3]Fighting gear(preferably prayer-friendly in the first fights, then melee with d'hide on the final fights, keris dagger)

[*:35gcj1p3]10 gold trinkets from pyramid plunder

[*:35gcj1p3]1 gold pyramid from agility pyramid

[*:35gcj1p3]1 bucket of camel dung

[*:35gcj1p3]Money for carpets OR pharoh's sceptre

[/hide]

[hide=Stats recommended]

• [*:35gcj1p3]43+ prayer

[*:35gcj1p3]50+ att

[*:35gcj1p3]50+ def

[*:35gcj1p3]21+ firemaking (the higher the better)

[*:35gcj1p3]55 theiving

[*:35gcj1p3]60+ str

[/hide]

Notes:

*You can always bank when you need it in the convinient Sophanem bank which you unlocked in the Contact! quest.

*You can always do pyramid plunder during the quest to get the trinkets, as well as the gold pyramid.

(1)

Items needed:

- White robes

- Shantay pass

- Money for travel

Travel to Sophanem. Talk to the high priest and he will eventually tell you of a corpse upstairs. Once done, go upstairs and be greeted by a short cutscene. The girl will come back to life (she actually wasn't dead, only poisoned), and it turns out to be a friend from a previous quest, Maisa. Talk to her using every option and then go down to talk to the high priest. He will mention the high priest of Scabarites, he wants you to make peace with him.

(2)

Items needed:

- Combat gear, preferably melee and prayer friendly

- Prayer potions

- Food, if not using prayer

Now you will need to head east of Sophanem. Here you will find a swampy area filled with crocodiles. There are reeds in the swamp that you will have to pass through. Follow the red path on this map; the end of it leads to the archeologists:

sophmaphf1.png

Talk to the lead archeologist. She will want to you fill in a research book with 4 different pages. These four different pages can be found by killing different beasts that reside around the swamp and cave area. The two scarab creatures are found at the very northeast tip of the swamp, skeletons and zombies are found in the cave just north of the archeologists, and mummies are found to the east. Note these creatures are fairly high level (100+), so protection prayers are recommended, taking sips of pots when necessary. Kill these creatures until you recieve the 4 page drops and add them to your book by clicking on them. Return to the lead archeologist with the completed book.

Note: There is a small spring by the archeologists where you can refill your waterskins.

scabarasupgroundun1.png

(3)

Items needed:

- 10 gold trinkets from pyramid plunder

- 1 gold pyramid from agility pyramid

- 1 camel dung

The lead archeologist asks you to fill an order for Simon, the archeologist who guards the agility pyramid. She hands you a crate and tell you to get a certain number of bronze items (it differs for each person), which you need to make 'ancient.' Simon wants 10 gold trinkets (any kind) from pyramid plunder, 1 golden pyramid from the agility pyramid, and the ancient bronze items. While in the desert, use the camel dung on all of your bronze items, so they become smelly and 'ancient,' put these in the crate. Go to Simon and deliver all of these items; 10 trinkets, gold pyramid, and crate with bronze items. He will hand you a receipt to take back to the lead archeologist, return to her.

Note: You may want to use an agility shortcut in the eastern tip of the plateau. Enter through the eastern caves (over the low wall), past the mummies, and you should eventually see a rock where you can tie a rope. This creates a temporary shortcut between the agility pyramid and the plateau, saving you some time running through the swamps.

(4)

Items needed:

- Combat gear, melee preferably (addtionally, keris dagger is recommened)

- Super set

- 1 prayer potion

[*]1 relicym's balm (4 dose) and 1 super antipoison(4 dose) OR 1 sanfew serum(4 dose)

- At least 15+ monkfish

- 4 free inv spaces

The lead archeologist should hand you a key after all your hard work. With this key enter the dungeon in the cave with the skeletons and zombies. Luckily, you don't hit any monsters yet, but you should see a familiar Golem.

scabarasundergroundjb3.png

Take the logs from the supply box near the furnace, you will get one regular log, a teak log, and a magic log. Note this box does NOT refill. Use the highest level log you can use on the furnace (this depends on your firemaking level). It will light up without a tinderbox.

Now talk to the Golem. Tell him you are ready to start the levers. The amount of power you put on the levers depends on the following things:

- Mysterious box: theiving

- Empty room: strength

- Pipe room: agility

- Scarab room: combat

Take all four of those levels; thieving, strength, agility, and combat and put them in order from lowest to highest. You should apply the least power to your highest skill room, and the most power to your lowest skill room, with the other two in between.

[hide=Example]With for example 95 strength, 53 agility, 75 combat, and 88 thieving I would want the following setup:

- Pipe room: highest

- Scarab room: second-highest

- Mysterious box room: second-lowest

- Empty room: lowest[/hide]

You should see some nice cutscenes during the power-choosing In this time the Golem starts the power, you are not timed at all, so don't try to go as fast as you can. You also don't have to do the rooms in any order.

Scarab room

This is a simple task of killing a scarab beetle. It is level 207, but with the steam hits it should have taken some hits. Turn on protect from melee if you are meleeing it and eat when it does the mage attack. If you are ranging or maging, step back and turn on protect from mage; the scarab will range you and eat when necessary (unconfirmed).

Pipe room

Simply go across the pipe (high agility is helpful here), pull the lever, and go back across. If you fall on this the power will dissapear and you will have to start all over with lighting the furnace.

Empty room

There is no monster here or agility obsticals, however if you do not have the required strength level (60) you will fail pulling the lever and you will have to start all over to lighting the furnace.

Mysterious box room

This puzzle is very much like memory, except there are runes involved and you must match up 3 of the same runes instead of two. WARNING: Do not click off this screen or 'x' it out, you will fail the box and will have to start from the beginning with lighting the furnace. A strategy suggested by posters goes like this: Going from left to right, and down (like reading a book), click on combinations of three runes at a time, copying down where they are on an excel sheet. Then once you know all the rune's locations you can easily finish the puzzle.

For more turns, turn the cog on the screen. The amount of extra turns you recieve depends on your theiving level.

f_puzzlem_d175bd2.jpg

(Thanks to Cryztalwing)

Once you have done the last room, the screen will dissapear and you will be automatically taken out of the room, and the door blocking the long hallway will open.

(5)

Items needed:

- Same as above

Proceed down the long hallway cautiously, there is one floor trap cleverly hidden that you should try to disable. Do not turn into the other rooms, keep on going down the hallway until you reach the end.

Turn on protect from magic and enter the room just south of the hallway, with run on. Prepare to eat as you run, this small dungeon is filled with several melee, range, and mage scarab monsters. Go all the way west of the room you just entered and enter a room north of it, where the high priest lays. A small cutscene will show you entering the room with just the high priest. The high priest is not agressive.

The high priest is a forgetful thing, you must take advantage of this. The point in this conversation is you're trying to get him mad; any of the three options will work; "This place reeks of unholyness," "By all the dieties, what is going on here?," or "Sounds like the Devourer dragged you into heresy for her own ends." He will get mad and attack you with either range, melee, or mage (not all three, just one). Warning: Do not use any kind of poisoning weapon; he will eventually fall to 1hp (which is not supposed to happen) and you will have to either log out or re-enter the room. Turn on the appropriate protection prayer and fight him til he gets to about 3/4 hp. When that happens, he will turn non-agressive again. Now do this same thing two other times; talk to him, say the place smells of unholyness, and fight him til he hits 3/4 hp. On the fourth time you talk to him, talk about making peace with Sophanem. He will accept.

Now head back to the high priest of Sophanem and talk to him. Congratulations! Quest complete!

[hide=Rewards]questkq0.png

(Thanks to Inuashakent)

• [*:35gcj1p3]7k exp in agility

[*:35gcj1p3]7k exp in strength

[*:35gcj1p3]7k exp in theiving

[*:35gcj1p3]7k exp in prayer

[*:35gcj1p3]Ability to make enchanted water tiara (information below)

[/hide]

[hide=Information on water tiara (e)]

• [*:35gcj1p3]Using water runes on a regular water tiara will make it charged

[*:35gcj1p3]Water tiara acts like waterskin

[*:35gcj1p3]3 water runes = 1 charge (drink of water)

[*:35gcj1p3]Amount of charges unlimited (unconfirmed)

[*:35gcj1p3]You can only have one tiara at once

[*:35gcj1p3]If destroyed it will return the appropriate number of water runes currently stored in it

[*:35gcj1p3]You cannot use water staffs to charge the tiara

[/hide]

[hide=Miniquest: Research book]To start this miniquest, you'll need the research book you used in the quest.

There are 22 pages in all to the book, all of which can be found by killing scarab monsters, zombies, mummies, and skeletons. 2 pages are found in the chests near the high priest of Scarabas. Note: crocodiles do NOT drop pages.

If you have a complete book and return it to the lead archeologist you will recieve a 10,000gp reward.[/hide]

[hide=Miniquest: "A little job"]To start this miniquest, you'll need you have completed the quest.

Talk to Simon after the quest and he will tell you he needs "a little job" done. Next, go talk to the pyramid plunder mummy, and then back to Simon again.

Congratulations! Simon will now accept noted pyramid plunder items![/hide]

dangsig.png

By popular demand, this signature is back- however I currently do not have a blog up at the moment and if I did I wouldn't update it. Sorry, the sig links to nowhere :( .

Note:

You can only have 1 enchanted tiara at a time, and you can destroy your tiara to get your water runes back, according to the high priest at Sophanem.

I needed to give Simon 18 bronze helms.

85pbfja.jpg

Geaux Tigers ! Congrats on a great year !

Note:

You can olny have 1 enchanted tiara at a time, and you can destroy your tiara to get your water runes back, according to the high priest at Sophanem.

I needed to gice Simon 18 bronze helms.

Oh really? So I guess it differs for each person. I'll update that immeadiately.

dangsig.png

By popular demand, this signature is back- however I currently do not have a blog up at the moment and if I did I wouldn't update it. Sorry, the sig links to nowhere :( .

Awesome guide. Looks thorough, and nice layout.

I'll attempt the quest tomorrow with this guide.

I've put up a plateau picture I put together myself; I think that should help some people. Working on the dungeon one now, it's a bit hard considering I have to constantly eat while taking screenshots and posting them in paint. :|

dangsig.png

Great guide i will definitely use it when i attempt the quest :)

Pgkhqob.jpg

Proud Tip.It Moderator December 07 - October 2009
Proud TETAU Member 2006 - 2007 <3
"I had a standing agreement with god. I'd agree to believe in him, barely, so long as he let me sleep in on Sundays." - Rose Hathaway
[ Posting & You ] [ Forum Rules ] [ Next Tetau Event ]

Awesome guide \'

You may want to add that it's best to bring a reclym balm (bought for minimum price, south of CW from the ogres) to cure the disease the priest can give you. Also, the priest can mage, range and melee, not just the latter two.

Also you can add (if you want) that the tiara requires 3 water runes per charge, obviously you can't use a staff. I've got 1,500 charges on mine and I can still add more so I don't think there's a limit, not one that anyone could ever use up anyway.

Is it just 10k gp for that mini-quest? Pretty lame reward :?

One more thing, I prefer to use max steam on the mystery box, that's for those with a low thieving level (~60). It's still possible doing it with minimum and low thieving, but it's pretty annoying, even with excel. My preferred order was Mystery --> Agility room --> Strength --> Scarab. Personally, I found the scarab easy to kill with piety and mage protect, eating only one shark (min power). It's highly stat dependant I guess.

Great guide ::'

slayermask3.png

A Draconic Guide V1.4, Fimer - Multi-Timer Farming Timer V3.

Dragon Boots: 39|Abyssal Whips: 16|Dark Bows: 1|

Nice guide =D>

A few suggestions:

Items - get some Relicym's Balm before or Sanafew Serum. If you use the Balm you will need 4 doses each time you get diseased. The Serum also works as a super stat restore and anti-poison.

Step 2 - Take a rope and head west from the archeologists. there is a wall you can climb over. On the other side of the wall is a rock you can use your rope with. This creates a permanent shortcut between the plateau top and the agility pyramid - saves having to go through the swamp every time.

Step 4 - the firemaking levels required to light the logs seem to be the ones you would need to light a log using the Barbarian method. (This may be a bug). If you use up the 3 logs provided any type of log will do.

Step 4 - as well as the cog you can also turn the switch, just over the number showing how many tries you have left, to get more chances. I suspect both of these are dependant on your thieving level and the initial number is based on how much steam you allocated to the room.

MystMech2.jpg

Step 4 - I would suggest leaving the Scarab till last as if you fail any of the other rooms you will need to kill it again. The Keris dagger you got from the Contact quest is very effective when fighting the Scarab.

Extra - During the quest Simon Templeton will ask if you can do a small job for him. He wants you to set up a deal with the Mummy in the Pyramid Plunder mini-game. The mummy is not interested. When you go back and tell Simon this as a reward he says he will buy all non-gold artifacts from the mini game in their noted form.

vlad_the_old.jpeg

Thanks to 4be2jue for the sigs.

Vlad_The_Old.png

There are 10 types of people in the world - those that understand binary and those that don't!

Vlad_the_old.png

About the last step when to talk to the Scarabi High Priest;

Another guide states that you have to choose these following options of conversations to the high priest to get him to finally not attack you and come to his scenses:

"By all the dieties, what is going on here?"

and in the second conversation choise:

"Sounds like the Devourer dragged you into heresy for her own ends"

I chose those 2 conversation-options each chat with the high priest and I had to fight him 3 times before he, the 4th chat, didn't attack me when I chose the same option at the second choise. The 4th chat he didn't say that about heresey is heresy and he came to his senses.

Just wanted to add that.

And another thing about the Enchanted Water Tiara you can make after the quest is completed, you can enchant it with how many Water Runes as you like, it seems, I used 975 water runes on it and got 325 charges on it. And you have to wear it for it to work. And remember that you now don't get a message about that you are thirsty, the charges are used automatically from the tiara. And you have to take it off to check how many charges it has left in it.

Sir_Nitram99.png

8 skills at 99: Herblore - Farming - Cooking - Firemaking - Woodcutting - Fletching - Magic - Crafting

well so far its a good guide... i havnt completed quest yet... to the levers part....

couple things to note though is that i had to get the items for agility pyrimid guy BEFORE the pages for journal

also a big thing to note is that after you take the logs out of the store chest for the levers you only get those 3..... it doesnt magicly refill lol.

i can only light the teak and oak logs it gives not mage so i ahd to go bck and get more logs

you may also wanna suggest a kerris dagger.... reward from contact quest its supposed to be good agianst beetels.... possible even to hit a 99!

EDIT: ok i have gotten to mysterious box room.... and discoverd it requires a thieving lv in order to get more turns. i have 61 thieving so if anybody would like to help compare to his we may be able to find out what thieve lv is.

Edit #2

forgo to mention because i didnt have thieve lv to get more tunrs i lost a turn..... which in rasult made it so i could not finish puzzle.... not good!

Edit #3

guess what more problems... this time with the direction to go after you solve puzzle.... first off you go west not south or north..... you countinue west into the other room.... also theres 2 traps..... mabey its just me and its diffrent but i ran through whole tunnel

dj_phox.png

I can't beat the stupid mysterious box thing.

I took a peice of paper and wrote down each one I clicked on starting from the top left and going to the right. As I found the pairs I crossed em off.

As I found the pairs I crossed em off.

Pairs? :shock:

Most of us had to find 3 of a kind

vlad_the_old.jpeg

Thanks to 4be2jue for the sigs.

Vlad_The_Old.png

There are 10 types of people in the world - those that understand binary and those that don't!

Vlad_the_old.png

i used a spreadsheet program... typed in each rune and as i solved it replaced the name with "S" to stand for solved..... its a bit neater than paper if you can do it....

im almost done with quest now... on the passege way i mentioned earlyer... had to eat lunch so i stoped for a bit.... those bugs are actualy nice dropers... gotten some good herbs from em and they drop 2 at a time.... not exacly hard if you equipedn right,,, guess thats why i seen 2 people training on em lol....

dj_phox.png

something you can do for fun i noticed on the boss monster guy is that if you poision him before you get to talk point again he will die when the poision hits... instant death lol.... he only has 1 hp when talking lol

edit.

if you do kill him from the poision you have to exit and go back in that room to make him re appear..... kind of a pain lol.... i do not recomend using poision lol.... regualr kerris is good though... finaly a use for that weapon... i know you can use it on kalphites honestly who trains on them and its not worth it to use it on KQ unless you were very lucky and hit only 99's lol

dj_phox.png

Heya mario, here's my contribution :)

[hide=Spelling]

Items:

Monkfish

Relicym's Balm

Stats:

Expand skill names?

1:

corpse

4:

keris

thieving (and again in the example)

Miniquests:

miniquest (In both expanded boxes)[/hide]

Great job on the maps too :thumbsup:

I ranged the scarab (full black d'hide) with mage protect to start with, but found I was getting hit much more than whilst using range protect. Was standing in the doorway, so it definitely wasn't meleeing me. The attack is range/mage ?

73 mage, 72 range, so nothing special defense wise.

Does the power allocation to the puzzle room make the puzzle less random? Just looking at maddudy's pic, and all 18 of my goes were nothing close to as neat as that.

Oh, and lastly, with the puzzle room allocated the least power, it is impossible to logically solve. Using excel, you need to use 12/20 of your guesses to remove the runes, leaving only 8 guesses where you can fail. The most efficient method is to uncover two of one type, and then get lucky and find the 3rd on your first click of three.

^(perhaps obvious, but hey... :-w )

Transportation: - Suggested by taraka2

Pharaoh's Sceptre

Charos Ring (for carpets)

Ancient Magicks home tele will get you close (ish). Al-kharid carpets still quicker though.

edits:

.: Turns out once you open the doors they stay open, there's no need to bring logs if you have to return for some reason.. like dieing.. <.<

.: Bring 5 or so extra logs is a very good idea, to help with the puzzle

.: After reducing the priests health, there is a good chance he will disappear. Logging off and back in seems to fix this, and you resume from where you were - no need to start the dialog again.

.: It is also possible that the scarabs will spawn next to him, effectively safespotting you from one, until he summons another. Make sure you kill all the scarabs before finishing him, or they will interrupt the dialog and you may have to reload.

.: You can refill your waterskins from the spring east of the archeologists

.: DON'T FORGET ANTIPOISONS IN THE DUNGEON! Being poisoned for 9 whilst trying to fight scarabs and a high priest is quite annoying..

Although I teled out with a rol and the poison didn't kill me. rol effect? or poison stops after boss?

.: When searching the trap, make sure you click the right side, getting it wrong will walk you over it, then search it..

.: Slightly irrelevant, but the tiara will be used over any waterskins

TSA FTW :mrgreen:

Hmm.. looking at this post.. this is not a thread hijack, honest :oops:

Fantastic guide Mario! And Thanks Lore!

ok I attempted most of this quest so far without the guide but after the four levers and getting diseased and hit for loads of damage i figured what the heck..so...

1) I put most power into the Scarab room making the Scarab get hit for 120 damage immediately. I then finished it off by having range prayer on and my Keris++ kicked out the rest of its HP pretty fast. I killed it first then movedon to the rest of the rooms.

2) I am not sure if it matters but I went from the room i put the most power in and followed in order to the least lowered room. Scarab (takes more damage from high powered steam), Puzzle (easier with more power), Pipe Room (chances of slipping off from oil with more power as the steam melts it off), and finally the empty room (more power less strength needed *note* I have 95 strength so put it as the least powered).

2A) Puzzle part: First thing you have to do is click all three parts of the machine on the right of the puzzle. All three will move and give you more chances to solve the puzzle (I believe you get to a total of 35 chances). Next remember you can press 4 buttons before the first three you pressed reset leaving the last button still showing. That gives you the opportunity to write down (or as Lorexvath did Excel) the runes shown on those 4 buttons. You can keep this pattern going until you get to the bottom 6 buttons. By then you should have figured out a few 3 button combos and be missing only the last 6. You will have plenty of chances left to finish the puzzle and have the solution in front of you to do it.

3) I highly suggest the Sanfew Serum as suggested by someone else already. The main reason besides having the combo of anti-poison and anti-disease is the fact it requires far more doses of Balm to cure this disease. It took me 5 doses of balm before it cured me.

4) I know it may not change much but perhaps turning off Auto-Retaliate before going through the maze to find the High Priest would be good. I had a ranger shooting at me as I passed a [bleep]e trap and was hit for two straight 19s from the trap alone because my character ran back across it to fight the ranger then I had no ranging prayer on so took more damage.

I hope some of this helps and hasn;t already been put into the guide. I need to now get sanfews made and go back to find the High Priest because I started getting hit way too much and teled out...

Good luck all! And may your QP Cape come to your shoulders again soon!

TSA FTW!

tifsiggy.jpg