Prices of rares?

ilya

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are many expensive new items to buy these days; they came with the introduction of the God Wars Dungeon: Bandos armour Armadyl armour and of course the Godswords, they all have prices in the same area as the lower rares(masks and santas) are in.

These stuff has a better use than rares, if you have just them to show of you can also do with the GWD stuff, + these items have nice bonuses.

+Summoming is comming so people want more money.

If there are more GWD items in game, what will drop the prices and there are no new items to spent lots of money on, then the Discontinued items prices will start rising again, because people want a new something to spent there millions on.

This is just my opinion, although I wrote it as if these are facts :XD:.

coenvg.png

Master of Firemaking since 10-11-2007 Yes, I QUIT! =]

Master of Woodcutting since Christmas 2007

Completed all quests - Completed all achievement diaries.

MY opinion is that because Jagex can now, if they wish, lower the price of rares continually.....

AND my reasoning for this is that jagex never intended for them to be horded for large amounts of cash.....

agreed.

though i'm not in a position to speculate, i personally hope that jagex really do live up to their word and keep market prices fair and according to what the market really reflects.

jagex have really shown how much they want to tune down the relative values of rares, as seen from their repeated introduction of member's items with sky-high prices. and members aren't helping too; they have their own valuable little toys to play with. apparently they don't care about f2p either - earlier today i was in varrock watching an amusing 'pink skirt riot' thing, and one or two p2p players were around to discourage rioters, telling them to 'go back and do quests or go fighting'. they probably wanted us to hack into a member's account and do his/her unfinished quests, or break into a members' server in search of the kalphite queen.

but no matter what happens to rare prices, i think if jagex do tune down the prices, there will be consequences. some people like me will think it is something they have been working on without telling the public. and hopefully there will be protests. and i do hope if that happens, people who think we are wasting our time can go back to NOT wasting their time. we'll live our lives, and they can live theirs.

Assuming Jagex does not interfere and the GE continues to work well, it is quite likely that they will hit some rock bottom and [bleep]e upwards soon thereafter. The short-term future is difficult to predict though, especially as market sentiment has gotten much harder to determine in the new system.

However, I'm already seeing market failures in all phats, the cracker and the half wine because Jagex set their initial prices too high.

[hide=large quote]

Weren't red masks nearing 38M in December? :?

Dunno about last month, but I sold a red mask last year for 38M (and last year not meaning 4 days ago, but a couple months ago :lol:)

Rares won't always keep going up if nobody wants them. As qeltar said, in order for an item to go up in price there needs to be a large demand for it. If there's a medium/low supply of an item but no demand, how can it go up?

Exactly. There's an extremely low supply of black spears ingame, but do they have a high price? No. It's because they're useless, and nobody wants them.

There will always be players that want something that's hard to get.

Rares are that item. I see players that swam in a sea of money suddenly finding themselves without their "easy" ways to make hundreds of millions. These players are now panic selling. As they think it's impossible to play RS without making tens of millions a day, they want to make sure their suddenly "suspect" investments are in nice "safe" cash.

I don't know when the prices of rares will bottom out. If summoning can be leveled very quickly with tons of cash I bet the prices will drop even more as players sell even MORE rares to get liquidity.

But eventually the playerbase WILL stop worrying about "surviving" this economic mess.

And once that is over, players will start to worry more about making money again.

Once prices on rares start going up players will start merching them again, and we shall see how long that "bubble" lasts.

[/hide]

Rares were based in the fact that large sums of cash could be obtained both fast and readily, and therefore horded into the accounts that could do this; stakers and merchants were two of these key groups. And these have in effect been nulified compared to how they used to operate.

I'm willing to bet that rare prices will continue to sink as the demand for them has (MASSIVLY) dropped, people choseing to get out when they can. Likely to bottom out at some point, value highly dependant on the structure of summoning. But if could easily be even years before they hit they high they once were at.

Solo GWD'er

Drops: Bandos Hilt x 1/ boots x 1 / Steam staff x 1 / Shards x 9

99 Str/ 99 Att/ 99 HP (More to come...)

the thing is that as the market goes mad like now people sell things very low but it is usally cheap skates who buy them and as they drop in value they just get rid of them but when the market eventuly goes normal and the demmand goes up there are alot less of them so the people who still have them can sell them for more

I expect rares to drop for a bit more untill people have all the money they need to buy items for summoning lvling fast and easily and be with the first to high summoning lvls :P

Then afterwards, since summoning is very unlikely to be a money remover, money that was dumped at people supplying summoning powerlvlers will start being spent on rares as they are at an all time low and many relatively low lvled people will be wanting to own one of these cool and exclusive hats as well which the next gen of players will never be able to afford once other interested players start causing prices to go back up in the 20million again ^^

So after all of that they will just start slowly rising by few of them being lost, especially since other people cant pick them up anymore if anything happens to the owner, and new people entering wanting to own such an exclusive item ^^

I bought a few small rares (in addition to the red hat I got for 169M a few weeks ago) after the trade nerf, and I don't see them going up at least for another 6 months. But I'm in for the long haul, if I'll ever even decide to return. My advice: spend your money elsewhere.

I also have two rares.... Santa and a Green mask.

My personally opinion is whilst merchanting rares is a thing of the past.... merchanting its self is still very strong (when you work out the tricks).

The rares are going to probably crash by another few mill and I expect them to be "low" for another year or two.... but in the end they will slowly rise.

rares merchanting is dead, so people are not buying to sell straight away, in alot of cases they are buying to keep, and this is essentially as good as not having them in the game as they are not in circulation.

whilst numbers don't actually decrease everytime sombody buys one to keep, they do become rarer....and it is this fact that will cause the price to raise (slowly).

Unless you are desperate for the money.... don't panic sell.... keep hold and I am sure they will raise again (but at a much slower rate)

sig2webzx7.jpg

I believe rares are going to follow the same path most other items have followed. They crash, hard, and then the moment that they look to have hit rock bottom and start going up, people will buy like crazy, driving the price back up.

If they do follow that path, then they will also follow the peaking path. If they show signs that they slowing down people will sell, driving the price back down and restarting the cycle. What differs the rare cycle will be that there are a limited amount, so everytime it crashes, it'll rise up a bit higher then the last peak. With jagex releasing price graphs in the future, it will turn all rare owners into market experts, which could compensate for the lack of merchers.

Logically that's what I think rares should be do.

A fun little thing:

rarechartnx0.png

lovinmoriog6.png

Retired Moriquendi Staff

Mori Website

Mori Forums

Mori Memberlist

If Jagex doesn't interfere with the prices on the GE, rares will go up a bit after reaching their lowest point possible. When the rares reach a very low point, where they are very cheap. At this point, some players will decide to buy rares due to their low prices. Their demand will go up a bit, and as their demand goes up, then so does their price. As their price goes up, their demand goes down again, and the price will keep fluctuating until Jagex interferes with the GE. It'll probably not rise back to it's original price for a long time though, or not at all.

think of it this way

they cant drop forever

say they do for a while

the price of santas hypotheticly ends up at say 5mil

now you have 5 mil and youve wanted a rare for a while but never thought you can get one

what do you do you buy!

other people with 5mil+ also decide its cheap enough and safe enough to buy again thus the demand starts to exceed the supply bringing up the price

this process can take weeks or years depending on the money consuming updates jagex throws at us and how well we adapt to the g.e system

Ring_World.gif

I think that with their momentum, rares will continue to drop for a while, especially after summoning comes out, as it is quite possible many high lvl players will dump their rares for cash. This downward momentum will drag prices down further for a while, but eventually i see a rise in prices for the long term, maybe 2-3 months down the road.

Something else that people need to be aware of is a possible INCREASE in the prices of rare as summoning is released. As we have previously seen, when new skills are released, rare prices tend to drop dramatically as high lvls dumped their rares into the market. This being the case for farming and construction (although im not sure about hunter, i was retired for that period) merchants may be able to predict another drop in prices. As these merchants move in to grab many rares, predicting a drop in price below their real value, there may be a higher demand for rares than the number of players willing to power their way to be the first 99. This is a completely hypothetical situation, but it may arise if enough people with cash see this trend.

I think that with their momentum, rares will continue to drop for a while, especially after summoning comes out, as it is quite possible many high lvl players will dump their rares for cash. This downward momentum will drag prices down further for a while, but eventually i see a rise in prices for the long term, maybe 2-3 months down the road.

Something else that people need to be aware of is a possible INCREASE in the prices of rare as summoning is released. As we have previously seen, when new skills are released, rare prices tend to drop dramatically as high lvls dumped their rares into the market. This being the case for farming and construction (although im not sure about hunter, i was retired for that period) merchants may be able to predict another drop in prices. As these merchants move in to grab many rares, predicting a drop in price below their real value, there may be a higher demand for rares than the number of players willing to power their way to be the first 99. This is a completely hypothetical situation, but it may arise if enough people with cash see this trend.

Unlike construction from what we have see so far, most items relating to the skill are untradable.... if it is not a skill that can't be bought then people wont sell rares to train it faster.

sig2webzx7.jpg

These items are discontinued and cannot ever enter to the game, so to my knowledge although they will go down at some point, they are bound to go back up in the future as more exit the game.

That's the mantra that rare owners keep chanting, but it's not necessarily true.

(though mine is "down a lot more, then maybe back up a bit").

You simply quoted him in a pessimistic manner.

And if the trade limit is discontinued... will rares go up in price again?

I think the thing that many still realize is that rares are rare. There are less and less of them all the time... So they should be becoming more valuable.

I'd really like to buy and easter egg right now as they're 5 Mil... but is it a good investment?

And if the trade limit is discontinued... will rares go up in price again?

I think the thing that many still realize is that rares are rare. There are less and less of them all the time... So they should be becoming more valuable.

I'd really like to buy and easter egg right now as they're 5 Mil... but is it a good investment?

Scarcity and low supply are two different things. Something can be rare but undesired (example: bronze spear with karam poison).

I wouldn't buy the Easter unless that 5M is extra that you want to spare. And there are definitely other good investment opportunities.

sigcopyaf.png

Ever wanted to find street prices of RS items? Check out the SPOLI Index

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

I recently bought a green mask at 13.4 mill. It looks like the prices are about to stop dropping, but I'm not sure. Either way, they will most likely rise after the rush of summoning is over.

I think that once the price of rares started dropping, everyone started to sell, afraid the prices won't rise again and that it was affected by the GE. I personally think this is the reason why there is so much supply. Also, I think for a period of time before the New Year, RWTers were doing a last ditch attempt of their rares to make those few extra dollars in real life. Also, I think stakers are selling their rares in order to train other skills with ease since there is no more money in what they used to do.

In my opinion, these factors all pushed towards characters selling everything they had and therefore dropping the price of rares.

Of course, I could be wrong and there are probably other reasons.

The prices will keep dropping until the merchanters who are buying up the items at the moment release them in the market (the prices are lowering due to merchanters buying at the lowest price as people are crazy enough to sell their rares for summoning at the lowest price) so I think the prices will rise again after summoning is released and the demand for rares will go up again.

sig312.png

angel2w.gif