Pure Essence: What happened?

cheezekillz

Doesn't anyone realise what jagex (imo) is trying to convince us to do? Do things for yourself! I've just cut 557 yews, picked my flax, made it into bowstrings, and I am currently fletching it. This is much more satisfying than buying materials, as I'm making 100% profit! More people need to do this.

C1Geq.png

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More people need to do this.

Why?

Is this a MULTIPLAYER game or just a single player game on shared servers?

And if Jagex wanted to force everyone to do everything themselves, why not admit that up front?

Qeltar, aka Charles Kozierok

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

Why?

And if Jagex wanted to force everyone to do everything themselves, why not admit that up front?

Why? Because you make 100% profit. Oh, btw I don't think that fletching and wcing is everything in rs. There are many more things you can do that are multiplayer.

C1Geq.png

Doesn't anyone realise what jagex (imo) is trying to convince us to do? Do things for yourself! I've just cut 557 yews, picked my flax, made it into bowstrings, and I am currently fletching it. This is much more satisfying than buying materials, as I'm making 100% profit! More people need to do this.

I agree with Qeltar, even if Jagex hasn't been completely honest with their players. Why not just buy materials? Unless you need xp or enjoy it, I don't see the point.

Also, you are not making "100% profit". Cutting yews, picking flax and spinning it all cost time- time which could be spent doing something more profitable and making you more money than you would have made doing things yourself.

bewatchingyousigau4.gif

[260+ Quest Points] [All Skills 50+] [Lv 97 Combat]

Also, you are not making "100% profit". Cutting yews, picking flax and spinning it all cost time- time which could be spent doing something more profitable and making you more money than you would have made doing things yourself.

It also gives you exp. I've leveled 3 woodcutting levels, and 1 crafting.

C1Geq.png

It also gives you exp. I've leveled 3 woodcutting levels, and 1 crafting.

Yes, I've mentioned that:

Unless you need xp or enjoy it, I don't see the point.

If you need xp, fair enough, but you can't claim you save money doing everything yourself.

This is getting too off-topic...

bewatchingyousigau4.gif

[260+ Quest Points] [All Skills 50+] [Lv 97 Combat]

What happened was 100000 runecrafters started taking for granted a large supply of cheap pure ess(coming from macroers) and forgot about how long it actually takes somebody to mine it.

Sorry runecrafters, but if you aren't going to mine your own pure ess then don't expect somebody else to mine you the 10k of it you use daily.

I know somebody will reply to this saying "but if i just runecraft then i make more money than i would if i mined my ess!", well that is the problem right there, too many runecrafters expecting somebody else to mine hundreds of thousands of pure ess for them.

I think it is great to be self sufficient on Runescape, but on the other hand people that feel that they should be able to buy every raw material they need and make it into something without making a loss is kindof asking for free experience.

Example: Prayer eats up 100+ Million just by using dragon bones on guilded alter to 99, people don't expect a big return on the raw material they buy, in this case the raw material being dragon bones.

Example: Players that buy tanned dragonhide don't expect to make every single penny back by alching the end product, they just hope to make most of it back.

Example: Players buy Maples and Willow or even Yews just to burn them to get to 99 knowing they make no money from the raw materials they bought.

Example: Mages buy thousands of yew longbows or magic longbows and natures to alch them for little to no profit, sometimes even a loss.

Example: Builders buy 100k oak planks 600 each just to get to construction up and drop the oak stuff they make yielding major loss for construction experience.

Now that you have that many examples, the one skill that you can actually get experience in and still make a decent profit is Runecrafting, even buying pure essence for 150-200 each you can make laws that are 300-350 each or Natures that are 250-300 each. Your profits might not be as high as before pure essence went up, but they sure as hell are still making you a bit of money.

Why?

Why? Because you make 100% profit. Oh, btw I don't think that fletching and wcing is everything in rs. There are many more things you can do that are multiplayer.

The dynamic economy was one of the things that MANY players liked about this game. It's not the only thing in the game but trade is very important in an MMO.

As for "100% profit", someone else covered that nicely. Remember that the saying "time is money" is just as true in RS as in the real world.

I have something I call my "world's simplest RS economic IQ test". I just ask someone: "Do you think fletching bows is a great way to make money?" If they answer "yes", they fail the test.

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

Proof of life (runes)

"We actually made the life rune for Classic, but didn't release it. Some players discovered its existence, but there was no way to actually get it."

Paul

RuneScape Content Team

"Initially, we were considering Summoning as an addition to Magic. We actually made the life rune for Classic, but didn't release it. Some players discovered its existence, but there was no way to actually get it," says Paul. Developing the RS2 engine held up things for a while and, by the time we got back to Summoning, there'd been some changes. "At that point, Magic was already filling out and we were also concepting Desert Treasure and alternate spellbooks, so decided it would be better as a new skill rather than an addition to an older one," says Mod Mark.

The life rune, from RuneScape Classic, was never actually released.

If you read that carefully, nowhere do they actually say the life rune will not be released in RS2. They say it was never released in classic, and that Summoning will not be an addition to magic, but nowhere does it say that they will not utilize the life rune. They're typing like lawyers there.

Cowmasta13.png

Hmm, I think they will fall pretty soon, since a lot of people have been investing in Essence right now in hopes of it going up, and will probably sell sometime after Summoning, making the supply on the Grand Exchange very high.

A little off topic: Why is there still Pure Essence when there are no autoers anymore? Can't they make it like it was before? Just normal Essence? :?

[insert birds flying in a circle here]

Yes, that sig was annoying.

Jagex created a tool which allows us to trade things faster, only to encourage self-sufficiency? Completely contradictory.

Not to mention, even with higher Pure Essence prices, I can still buy cosmics, natures and laws and make a profit at the Mage Training Arena by selling Infinity Boots; that's hardly forcing me to be self-sufficient.

Why?

The dynamic economy was one of the things that MANY players liked about this game. It's not the only thing in the game but trade is very important in an MMO.

As for "100% profit", someone else covered that nicely. Remember that the saying "time is money" is just as true in RS as in the real world.

I have something I call my "world's simplest RS economic IQ test". I just ask someone: "Do you think fletching bows is a great way to make money?" If they answer "yes", they fail the test.

Qeltar, I respect you for what you've done, but don't start ego boosting, setting IQ tests and assuming that your predictions are completely infallible. They may be accurate, but don't push it.

The term '100% profit' means that you aren't spending any money to get a profit, you are just getting money for the time taken in that activity. Being self sufficient (extracting raw materials, processing and selling without the middleman) is an example of '100% profit'.

However, that doesn't mean that it's the best investment of your time, because the 100% profit of being self sufficient may not be as big as the 50% profit of taking part in a single skill, such as buying raw lobsters and cooking them, before selling (The 50% is just an example, I am not saying that this activity actually gives 50% profits!), because it takes less than half of your time.

It's all about profits over time, not a percentage.

I'd have to say that RuneCrafters will have to make do with what they've got. Getting experience and profits at the same time is a privilege amongst skills, not a right. Production of essence was so high beforehand that RCers have gotten used to low costs for essence, and high prices for the finished runes, resulting in exorbitant profits. Two options: mine your own essence if you're happy with the profits in that method, or do something which is more worth your time.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

Idiots trying to corner the market? They will fail. People will simply stop runecrafting since it's not worth it, thus a shift of demand of pure ess to the left and therefore a fall in the price and way more people will start supplying pure ess because it's a perfectly competitive market. Then, once those phenomenal idiots realize they are gonna lose money, they will sell which increases supply even further.

Conclusion: They are going to get screwed over very badly

76th to reach 99 Construction on 6th of February 2007

379th to reach 99 Runecrafting on 4th of November 2007

BlueSig6.jpg

Finally the secrets of goal achieving are revealed! (give my guide a read :^_^: )

Qeltar, I respect you for what you've done, but don't start ego boosting, setting IQ tests and assuming that your predictions are completely infallible. They may be accurate, but don't push it.

Alright, alright, it was at least partially tongue-in-cheek. :P

I just find so few people understand simple economic principles like inputs/outputs, the monetary value of time and so forth. Fletching is probably THE most overrated skill in the entire game, because so many people go around saying it's a great way to make money -- heck, it's right at the top of Tip.It's guide to the skill.

As you say, RCers have had a free ride for a long time. I don't think pure ess will stay above 150, but it's not going down to 80 again any time soon either. "Nature abhors a vacuum" as they say, and when any skill seems to be too easy a way to make money, people will adapt to "squeeze" the excess profits out of it.

Frankly, considering how much money RC has always made, and how hard miners have always had things, I'd say this is a positive development.

signew2.png

The split of normal and pure essence is no longer needed, with all the other anti-RWT measures in place now.

If the essence split was reversed:

P2P essence miners would curse,

P2P runecrafters would rejoice.

F2P essence miners would be delighted

F2P runecrafters would be upset.

Merging back to just one kind of rune essence, would inevitable see the price settle somewhere between normal and pure, as F2P ess miner supplies fed P2P runcrafter demand, just as before the very first and least useful of Jagex's anti-bot measures.

There are a ton of people buying 5m+ amounts of pure ess at the highest price possible in hopes of pushes up the prices. I personally know of a person who was a former merchant and is currently buying 12m+ pure ess to hopefully turn over into a huge profit.

This person is right.

lets push aside the wild theories and look at the obvious: no more autoers.

there's no way autoers cover the price from 90-160 gp especially due to the nature of the good.

76th to reach 99 Construction on 6th of February 2007

379th to reach 99 Runecrafting on 4th of November 2007

BlueSig6.jpg

Finally the secrets of goal achieving are revealed! (give my guide a read :^_^: )

There are a ton of people buying 5m+ amounts of pure ess at the highest price possible in hopes of pushes up the prices. I personally know of a person who was a former merchant and is currently buying 12m+ pure ess to hopefully turn over into a huge profit.

This person is right.

Yep.. and the Grand Excrement's 5% price limits is what is allowing them to do this.

The really smart speculators will make a huge killing, the bad ones will lose their shirts, and the 99% of players who just want ess for RC all lose out due to lack of availability and higher prices.

All of which is exactly what I said would happen the day the GE came out, because price controls always have these sorts of effects.

Isn't it nice that Jagex is "protecting" us from merchants and "ensuring market stability" with its little rules and restrictions?

signew2.png

Alright, alright, it was at least partially tongue-in-cheek. :P

I just find so few people understand simple economic principles like inputs/outputs, the monetary value of time and so forth. Fletching is probably THE most overrated skill in the entire game, because so many people go around saying it's a great way to make money -- heck, it's right at the top of Tip.It's guide to the skill.

As you say, RCers have had a free ride for a long time. I don't think pure ess will stay above 150, but it's not going down to 80 again any time soon either. "Nature abhors a vacuum" as they say, and when any skill seems to be too easy a way to make money, people will adapt to "squeeze" the excess profits out of it.

Frankly, considering how much money RC has always made, and how hard miners have always had things, I'd say this is a positive development.

I agree, it is positive. It was long overdue that RCers needed a bit of a price change, the profits were simply too massive. I think that the lack of bots have in some way helped this, but with the existence of pure essence, I don't think there as many bots as there were for, say, cutting yews in the first place, so it isn't a big factor. This is just a natural progression, and eventually the "vacuum" was going to be filled.

Fletching IS overrated, I agree, but I don't think it is going to be popular for much longer. The price of wood used in fletching in general is going up because it isn't being produced by bots, and the prices of bows is also going up as a result. Once people start seeing that the profits are so obviously low after you count the cost of natures (which coincidentally is going up because of essence prices are going up), it is going to be much less popular.

Actually, following up that prediction, the price of natures will drop because of much lower demand, and it may be the case that Essence will drop as well, but will still remain higher than it was at the start.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

But qeltar, for people who read that guide (who are mostly new to RuneScape and require basic knowledge of the skill's advantages and disadvantages), it is a good way to make money.

Most people who train fletching aren't very good at combat, thus they can't go hunting for big drops. Nor typically will they have played the game long enough to have a firm understanding of the RS economy, so they can't merchant either.

In terms of skilling, for a new player looking at our guides, it is a good way to make money, simply for the fact you're making a profit. There aren't many ways to make profit upon first joining the game.