16 January 2008 - Summoning balancing

kemikalkadet

I mean how do they know if the people want more shards to level, or if they are done with this skill due to its level of difficulty?

They should give people their money back and if they want more shard they can always buy some more after all. :P

Stephleref.png

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lol, I freaked out until someone told me to read the last few sentences :XD: I bought 10k shards yesterday and thought I just lost 250k :cry:

I still cannot see a huge profit from this until a higher level where you summons can stay around for..lets say an hour.

You do understand that all you have to do is renew the amount of time that your familiar is with you every 3 min....

If people had been intelligent enough to actually use the pouches instead of powerleveling then this wouldn't even have been a problem. Everyone has been saying "It will cost like 500million gp to reach level 99."

What do you mean by using the pouches? Like, making the summoning scoll things?

soulthresher.png

If people had been intelligent enough to actually use the pouches instead of powerleveling then this wouldn't even have been a problem. Everyone has been saying "It will cost like 500million gp to reach level 99."

You still don't get exp for actually using the pouches (at least, I don't think that you do). The only way to actually gain a non-negligible amount of experience is by making pouches, and that hasn't changed.

This is an improvement, but I personally would have preferred keeping the shard price, but allowing you to get a significant amount of exp (even if only 1 exp per damage point) for the damage that your familiar deals. Meh.

Omg Jagex actually listened to players for once :shock:

Wow, I actually think you've said that 3 or 4 times lately, maybe I'm mistaken, but nice post none the less.

You still don't get exp for actually using the pouches (at least, I don't think that you do). The only way to actually gain a non-negligible amount of experience is by making pouches, and that hasn't changed.

This is an improvement, but I personally would have preferred keeping the shard price, but allowing you to get a significant amount of exp (even if only 1 exp per damage point) for the damage that your familiar deals. Meh.

Actually I think you get experience from each scroll special that you do while the creature is summoned. You can train with some of them if you just use them by your side for long enough.

Omg Jagex actually listened to players for once :shock:

Wow, I actually think you've said that 3 or 4 times lately, maybe I'm mistaken, but nice post none the less.

ERRR what ? Thats the first time lol? and tx for saying it was a nice post P.S I don't play rs anymore

loverrrzp8.jpg

Yeah, actually summoning doesn't have to do with combat.... it shouldn't raise cb lvl. I believe the post said half? So what should they be now 25 ea. shard if I remember correctly.

this is great news, jagex has definately impressed me with this skill and i'm glad they realized that 50gp per shard was a lot.

Sucks for people who bought like 100k shards lmao

Finally, to make sure that reducing the cost of shards isn't unfair on early levelling, we will make sure that people who have already purchased shards will automatically either get some gold back, or receive extra shards so they have effectively paid the new price.
icecube7.jpeg

Lol, I freaked out until someone told me to read the last few sentences :XD: I bought 10k shards yesterday and thought I just lost 250k :cry:

I still cannot see a huge profit from this until a higher level where you summons can stay around for..lets say an hour.

You do understand that all you have to do is renew the amount of time that your familiar is with you every 3 min....

Which is great and all but it uses your summoning points and unless you will take the time out of your routine of...lets say runecrafting, and recharge it, it seems a bit useless to have a summon for 15 minutes.

soulthresher.png

Can't you guys read or something? I bolded the part where it explains what will be done with the people who already bought shards

16 January 2008 - Summoning balancing Next

We've noticed that a few players are worried that the summoning skill costs a lot of gp to level. However after carefully double-checking the figures, we really don't believe this is the case!

A lot of people are looking at the skill and calculating how many shards they are going to need to level it up, multiplying that by the cost per shard, and coming to the conclusion that it's going to be very expensive.

However the key point that is easy to miss is the fact that the completed pouches themselves are extremely powerful. They aren't just junk to throw away! In fact, you can make at least as much money from using the completed pouch as it costs to make in the first place. For example, if you summon a creature to fight alongside you, the increased rate at which you can collect monster drops as a result balances out against the initial cost of the pouch. Or if you summon a creature to carry items for you, the increased rate at which you can runecraft, or collect items gives you back as much money as the pouch cost. These are just two examples of the countless ways the summoning skill can help you make money more effectively. We had to make the cost high, because the rewards are so high!

At the moment all our calculations show that if you use the pouches effectively, (with the possible exception of the very early pouches), you can make back the cost of the pouch by the increased productivity it gives. Therefore the actual net cost of levelling this skill works out at zero! ThatÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s significantly cheaper than, say, construction.

That's pretty good anyway, but we've decided we want to make this a really rewarding skill, and it's time we had another good money making skill in the game. Therefore later this week we are planning on halving the cost of shards. After this the amount you can make from using a pouch will be far more than it costs to make, and you will be able to make a tidy profit. In fact we calculate this will then make summoning one of the best ways of making money in the game, but only if you actually use the pouches! Finally, to make sure that reducing the cost of shards isn't unfair on early levelling, we will make sure that people who have already purchased shards will automatically either get some gold back, or receive extra shards so they have effectively paid the new price.

sig312.png

angel2w.gif

I think the fact that Jagex have needed to clarify the whole concept of Summoning shows that Wolf Whistle & the Knowledge Base failed to achieve their goals.

Finally, to make sure that reducing the cost of shards isn't unfair on early levelling, we will make sure that people who have already purchased shards will automatically either get some gold back, or receive extra shards so they have effectively paid the new price.

I'm really interested in knowing how this will actually be done. Does anyone know if Jagex have ever done something like this before?

I reckon anyone who has bought shards before this price update will be able to go to any of the Summoning Shops and the NPC will then ask you which option you'd like, but I guess we'll just have to wait to see how it's done. :P

considering one would spend roughly 116k to get to level 16 you will either get back half of that, or double the shards you previously bought...

so im imagining its based on your level - if you are lvl X you get Y back because you have most reasonably used Z amount of shards.

edit::: looking at that^^^ its very unclear as to what i meant...

so im imagining its based on your level - if you are lvl X you get Y shards/money back because you have most logically used Z many shards.

Thesmallone9.gif

Which is great and all but it uses your summoning points and unless you will take the time out of your routine of...lets say runecrafting, and recharge it, it seems a bit useless to have a summon for 15 minutes.

You still don't realize that even with 30 summoning using 1 point every 3 min is almost nothing, you can do the math.

How the hell am I supposed to make more profit than normal with summoning if I can only use them in multicombat and I have to make obelisk trips every 20 minutes? :|

Technically, I could replace the obelisk trip with going to fish and cook my own food (as opposed to buying it) and still "make a profit" :)

Unless they're talking about non-combat familiar powers... In which case it's kinda odd that it raises combat so much. I'm curious about the beaver's multichop versus a magic tree.

Mithdragonsig5.jpg

I think the fact that Jagex have needed to clarify the whole concept of Summoning shows that Wolf Whistle & the Knowledge Base failed to achieve their goals.

30 seconds after I loaded the first Summoning KB page for the first time I said to myself, "hoo boy, they are going to have a LOT of confused kiddies with this."

BTW, if the pouches are so valuable, why did some idiot assign them giveaway prices on the GE?

Have you checked the prices of the higher level/more useful summons yet? I dont have a members account so i'm unable too, but i'd hope they would have a decent start price. I understand that the lower ones wuldnt sell because they're relatively useless and in huge supply. I guess the moneymaking potential comes down to the start prices on the ge.. too low and they'll be totally unsellable. Hopefully after seeing players concerns over the price of the skill they'll double check ge prices to make sure it's profit worthy.. i'm not holding my breath just yet though :P

red-mask-sig.gif?t=1238621802

MSSW4Banner.gif

This means free shards for me, good update, I also love it how they made charms untradeable now people will have to work for their skills instead of just buying them.

Th3_C4bb4g3.png

Th3_C4bb4g3.png

Th3_C4bb4g3.png

- Back to casual f2p scaping due to limited time (university and girlfriend <3:) -

This means free shards for me, good update, I also love it how they made charms untradeable now people will have to work for their skills instead of just buying them.

What's wrong with buying skills? It's not like their money appeared out of thin air

+1

30 seconds after I loaded the first Summoning KB page for the first time I said to myself, "hoo boy, they are going to have a LOT of confused kiddies with this."

BTW, if the pouches are so valuable, why did some idiot assign them giveaway prices on the GE?

Because you are supposed to use them yourself, its the basic of summoning. do it yourself.

I said about the same thing about the Kbase :lol: . It took a few moments and a quest to figure it out, but then i got the hang of it. I basically became the Kbase for my friends, they all asked me, i could answer them all :P .

Actually I think you get experience from each scroll special that you do while the creature is summoned. You can train with some of them if you just use them by your side for long enough.

If you use the Granite Crab special 5 times you get a massive 1 xp

It seems to me the xp to be made in this skill has NOTHING to do with actually bringing Summoned creatures into the game. Maybe the xp gained for making pouches and the amount gained for actually summoning creatures should be switched.

85pbfja.jpg

Geaux Tigers ! Congrats on a great year !