Self-Sufficiency vs. Bought Skills

Low C

I see many people walking around with cooking capes or farming capes and such that have never enjoyed the skill but bought them and power-trained it. Not enjoyed climbing the ranks of that skill and fishing their own fish and cooking it like it used to be back when i started playing. We would fish away at barbarian village and enjoy gaining fishing and cooking levels and not worrying about a skill cape or respect.

One reason I reason I see people, and I've been guilty of doing it myself, is buying all the supplies and plugging away at levels like they're work. Like farming, some buy lots of maples and spend millions power farming and not enjoying the skill. Yet some use mtk and pickpocket all their seeds and enjoy a farm run a day thinking ill get that cape some day. Those are the self-sufficient people in my eyes.

Now im asking which are you? A person who buys their supplies and power level the skill. Or one who trains level by level enjoying the skill for what it is.

Discuss.

Low_C.png

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, using your example of farming, I would say that I am self sufficient. I tried growing tree's once, and gave up. I have gotten all the way to level 68 growing mostly just Ranarr's and on and off sweetcorn.

ajk822.png

4031st person to 99 Thieving on 5/25/2008

If anyone plays NBA Live '08 online on the Wii please PM me. I'm up for anyone.

I think I'm one who is self sufficient, the only time I've "bought" a skill was from level 63-70 Prayer. I've got all my 92 Cooking levels from my own fish that I have fished. Oh yeah, I also bought myself halfway between level 70-85 Fletching, bought like 5k of the yews used.

[insert birds flying in a circle here]

Yes, that sig was annoying.

I don't have a cooking cape but if I do cook I do fish my own fish. Whe I train firemaking or fletching I cut my own logs. It is much more respectable that way.

I will say I bought almost all my fish for 99 cooking, on Ddaanniiellh, however, only because at the time, cooking was actually profitable.

On Lil Dan Def, I have yet to buy a single fish (up to 80 cooking). I guess I can do it both ways if i want.

~Dan

overall-1.png: 1437 combat.png: 173
Lowest Combat to 1,000 Total in F2P (23 Combat)
2r8i4.png
Check me out on YouTube!

I would say that I am half and half, I cut all logs for 99 fletch I also cut all logs for 92 fm, but but I bought 99 cooking then bought 99 fm (3mil exp in a day o.O). Although I did buy nats for 88 magic, but I will rc nats for 99 when I can be bothered. I guess that makes me half and half.

runemsanta,2dtv0.gif

I would say that I am more self sufficient than most. I rarely ever buy skills, the only exceptions being some crafting and herblore levels.

I find that gathering materials myself to be more enjoyable than just buying them from other players. It gives stats a greater since of meaning having worked for them myself as opposed to getting them as fast as possible through money.

Also, the fact that I have been perpetually poor my entire RS career has no effect on this opinion. :roll:

Artemis_42.png

"Those who know nothing, can understand nothing"

- Ansem, Kingdom Hearts

I'm completely self sufficient UNLESS buying something and altering it will make me money. I got 99 fishing at 80 something combat because back then cooked lobs sold for more than raw lobs. 82 fletching or w/e I am (lol) was gotten completely self sufficiently until 70 where I made money off making yew longs. Other than those 2, I'm completely self sufficient. I wanted 70 prayer was (66) so I camped at Green drags for about 3 days :oops:

We would fish away at barbarian village and enjoy gaining fishing and cooking levels and not worrying about a skill cape or respect.

-snip-

One reason I reason I see people, and I've been guilty of doing it myself, is buying all the supplies and plugging away at levels like they're work. Like farming, some buy lots of maples and spend millions power farming and not enjoying the skill.

About that. When you're a newbie, levels come very easily, it just seems like each 5 minutes you can make new stuff and it's very exciting. You don't have to worry about exp rates or anything of the sort and just enjoy yourself. But when you get high level, that's when things start to become like work as you said. You need more and more exp exponentionally. There's a limit at how much fun you can have doing those repetitive actions. At which point, many people will just try to have fun completing goals since they cannot get any more fun from the skill itself. Since for instance, they get no more fun from fishing, they will just buy the fish and get 99 cooking, and they get enjoyment from completing their goal. It would really be great if we could really enjoy the skills we have as they are, but that isn't possible. When you've planted your first strawberries, ranarrs, trees, etc, well you've pretty much seen them all. When you've fished your first load of sharks, all the other ones after are going to be the same. All the excitement from the newbieness is gone. But it would help if ALL skills had good and interesting things to do at 90+, usually there isn't much to do after level 80.

2480+ total

We would fish away at barbarian village and enjoy gaining fishing and cooking levels and not worrying about a skill cape or respect.

-snip-

One reason I reason I see people, and I've been guilty of doing it myself, is buying all the supplies and plugging away at levels like they're work. Like farming, some buy lots of maples and spend millions power farming and not enjoying the skill.

About that. When you're a newbie, levels come very easily, it just seems like each 5 minutes you can make new stuff and it's very exciting. You don't have to worry about exp rates or anything of the sort and just enjoy yourself. But when you get high level, that's when things start to become like work as you said. You need more and more exp exponentionally. There's a limit at how much fun you can have doing those repetitive actions. At which point, many people will just try to have fun completing goals since they cannot get any more fun from the skill itself. Since for instance, they get no more fun from fishing, they will just buy the fish and get 99 cooking, and they get enjoyment from completing their goal. It would really be great if we could really enjoy the skills we have as they are, but that isn't possible. When you've planted your first strawberries, ranarrs, trees, etc, well you've pretty much seen them all. When you've fished your first load of sharks, all the other ones after are going to be the same. All the excitement from the newbieness is gone. But it would help if ALL skills had good and interesting things to do at 90+, usually there isn't much to do after level 80.

Someone has understood what i wanted out of the thread. :P

I know people who love farming still at level 98 and farm everyday. I know people who have over 14m xp in certain skills, well just because they enjoy them. Not all skills end at 80. Some can still be enjoyable and used as a method to train other skills.

Not all skills in runescape are the same though. So fishing and farming don't have to be the only examples.

Low_C.png

Self-sufficient all the way. well... almost.

Although I can afford to buy a few 99s if I chose to, I prefer to train the long way. The only 99s I would say I bought were 99 cook and fletch and I was already close to a cape in both those skills (98 fletch and 94 cook) before there were skill capes. I also had 99 range before PC or skill capes and done without cannoning I might add.

I still train herb (81 so far without ever buying herbs or ingredients) getting my own herbs either from the chaos druids or from farming. Same with prayer -- never bought or sold a bone. Its more fun to set a target one level at a time.

The thing I like about skills is not the level but the route taken to get there. I cannot be bothered to continuously train one skill as if it is a job that has to be done. That would make RS a lot more like homework and a lot less like a game. Besides, getting a 99 takes away the fun in the skill for me as there is nothing more to look forward to in the skill after that (I dont care much for xp ranks).

sig5qf.gif

# 1101 to 99 range on 12-18-05

85 slayer on 12-18-05 with combat at 102;

2200+ total.

I know people who love farming still at level 98 and farm everyday. I know people who have over 14m xp in certain skills, well just because they enjoy them. Not all skills end at 80. Some can still be enjoyable and used as a method to train other skills.

That's lucky for them, personally I'm not like that. I enjoy farming, it's not as repetitive as other activities, and you get time to do other things in-between. But when it comes down to all those grinding skills, I have no patience at all. But it's a good balance. The boredom-resistant people farm the ressources that the people with no patience buy. :lol:

2480+ total

i am definitely guilty of buying skills, but certain skills, in my opinion, are better for me to buy. Personally, I don't think I could kill 5k green dragons, bank the bones and hides, tan the hides, and craft them. I would go crazy. I would rather buy the hides pretanned and craft them myself. I love to craft, I enjoy it a lot. I just dont have the time or the willpower to grind away at green dragons to get the hides.

But, I used to do farming just from the drops I would get. I don't much like farming, so I only go it up for a few quests.

1-63 smithing was all my own ore and bars that I mined myself in F2P. Once I hit P2P I mined 5k iron ore, bought 5k, mined gems to get 58 (i think) rubys to make the rings of forging. made the bars and then made those into knives. I didnt mine the other 5k because to be totally honest, it didnt seem worth it. I was already making 1.2m at the time. paying a little wasnt going to hurt me a bit.

Flething I bought, but who wants to chop trees for days to get 1 fletching level? i dont :( Same goes for construction.

I don't know. I guess I could be self sufficient if I wanted to. I can see both sides to it. It is much more rewarding to get everything yourself, but sometimes it is just hard to keep grinding away, and 5 days later you are only half way done. I would like to tell you I like being self sufficient, but I also like to enjoy the skill. not work endlessly at one skill to enjoy another.

polarbeardaveyz9.png

Proud to have bought 77k oak planks instead of cutting em and planking em myself. Sometimes it just isn't worth it to do things yourself.

Picture2-10.png

So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

You have a good point, there ARE two different kinds of capes. Hard work ones (agililty, for example), and wealth/status symbol ones (construction, let's say). Both are respectable, but in different ways. Construction is super fast, and shows that you have money to blow, which would impress some. But Agility takes a long time, with a lot of focus and dedication. This would impress others.

When you buy a skill, it takes away some of it's mystique, but depending on the skill, it can still be quite impressive.

I'd guess I'd be both. I bought a lot of supplies for 99 firemaking, but I also cut some too. But for the majority of my skills, I am completely self-sufficient. I mine my own ore, I fish my own fish, cook my own food, and make or get most of my own runes from monsters.

For some skills it's enjoyable to go about collecting the resources myself, but for some it's just more fun to power through the lvls, more expensive but more fun, and what's the point of playing if it's not fun?

I'm half and half. Normally I will try to level most of my skills without buying anything. But like most I joined in on the 99 bandwagon and bought 99 Firemaking. Overall though, I would say I am more to the self sufficient side.

Under+Oath13.png

Under+Oath13.png

Accomplished 99 Firemaking on August 3rd, 2007

Accomplished 99 Fishing on June 14th, 2008

Considering I can't buy my way to 99 hunter, I'd say I'm self-sufficient and most certainly enjoy the skill :D

made0f12une.png

^^ClicK^^

"I backed my car into a cop car the other day

Well he just drove off sometimes life's ok

Alright already we'll all float on

Alright don't worry we'll all float on" - Isaac Brock

Days Hunting:4 - Kingly Imps Caught:2

Money Earned: 4.5-5m

I do whatever it is that I decide to do.

That's it. Sometimes I buy, sometimes I collect myself.

That's the way I play. Whatever seems like the best idea at the time.

If you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.

MischlingsSH.png