[TF2] It's MANN Vs. Machine!

Jaziek

Sydney Sleeper encourages camping. Sniper isn't fun if you spend an entire game camping. No headshots mean you can't effectively take out classes up close (and fwiw, anyone who can play sniper well does that) and well, you're just an easy target when someone gets within 6ft of you. If you have the rifle, you can instantly kill scouts (biggest threat up close) and do significant amounts of damage to soldiers and demomen. It's imperative to hit those close-range headshots on soldiers because they lose their retreat mechanism.

Camp sniper is a boring mechanic. You don't "support" your team no matter what the Sydney Sleeper deludes people into thinking. It slows you down and restricts your options - ever thought about using the element of surprise as a sniper? You can't do that without the rifle. Even the Huntsman works moderately okay as a surprise weapon (yeah, Huntsman is actually pretty useful on certain maps) but nothing really beats the possibilities of the default. My point is - why let your team-mates finish someone off when you can just take them out quickly yourself? That's a true support sniper. Creativity is key to being good at that class. It's actually one of the easier classes in the game because if you play it for a few days, you pick it up really fast. It doesn't have anything particularly unique to master. It's also the easiest to get out of practice with, except for maybe scout, but that's a completely different playstyle.

I always suggest taking up soldier to new players. Apart from medic, it's the best way to learn maps since you're constantly moving around. All of the unlocks are quite solid (especially the Direct Hit - one of my most favourite weapons) and it's very difficult to really do anything wrong. It also has plenty of advanced mechanics to learn and it's quite interchangeable with demoman as well, although that never really worked out for me. I have good pipebomb aim but I'm more useful jumping through the air, shooting things in the air, filling people full of lead and making them eat pickaxe. I've played this class competitively and in pub games and it's so balanced and rewarding. It's not hard to get good rocket and shotgun aim either.

I don't even play anymore and I can write this much about it. Heh.

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ruerin, oh you.

I can play a solid demoman round, racking a K/D ratio of 3 kills to one death at my best. I utilise the pipe bombs a lot, and am constantly needing resupply. Demoman is definitely a fun class to play, but I found it takes a while to get used to the differences between demoman and soldier, as they can generally be used interchangeably in a map.

lampost_sig_stark.png

I find pyro and medic easy to learn on. Once you get a firm grip on playing other classes are good to play around with until you find your niche. In my case it's solly + spy. Although I have started playing sniper a bit more recently and I must say it can be fun. Managed to top the scoreboard for a few games on a 24/7 1hr ctf_doublecross server. I've had it only my list ever since the server was there, it seems the group that runs it changes their name a lot.

Steam | PM me for BBM PIN

Nine naked men is a technological achievement. Quote of 2013.

PCGamingWiki - Let's fix PC gaming!

Yes Tim, yes you did. However I might you my Saxton Hale mask if you want. I haven't really much for classless hats.

I'm going to wait till I get my new processor to play serious TF2.

15 FPS in heavy combat means not very good scores. And I know it's my processor, because my video card is above the recommended specs and my current processor is a piece of crap single core.

Ruerin, oh you.

I can play a solid demoman round, racking a K/D ratio of 3 kills to one death at my best. I utilise the pipe bombs a lot, and am constantly needing resupply. Demoman is definitely a fun class to play, but I found it takes a while to get used to the differences between demoman and soldier, as they can generally be used interchangeably in a map.

You're doing good. I can hit 5:1 as demo which is a "better" k:d than I pull as soldier sometimes, but I'm not as skilled as I am at soldier. My soldier performance depends a lot on how good the medic is and how willing they are to use me as a pocket. Demoman is significantly easier to play without a medic (more mobility, more damage spread) but you have to think defensively all the time. But do keep up demo, it's a class that's useful literally all the time if you're good at trapping up and pipes.

Generally;

2:1 k/d as soldier is quite good in most pub games without a medic. I've hit 6:1 when I've had a good medic backing me up and that was when I was just getting into advanced soldier mechanics. When my shoulder gets better and I can play without pain from wasd then I'll make a few vids after I get back in practice. The game kinda stresses me out though so I doubt I could play competitively again.

3:1 as demo is more than fine but it's harder to rack up insane killstreaks (at least for me) in public games. I've gotten a 21 killstreak as soldier before and it wasn't even lucky. Everyone went pyro eventually though ;_; But yeah, I'm not especially great at this game overall. I'm strong at soldier and that's about it really. Scout and sniper are fun too.

15 FPS in heavy combat means not very good scores. And I know it's my processor, because my video card is above the recommended specs and my current processor is a piece of crap single core.

Try using an FPS config. I can supply you with some if you want. The game won't be pretty (and you can easily remove it if you don't like it) but being able to play properly is better than struggling at 15fps.

Does anyone know how to get into the enemy sniper nest on Hightower? It's been bothering me for a while. There are only two ways in (that I know of), and one goes through the resupply gates. The other is a series of crates which appear to be commonly used, but it would require some sort of double jump which I have no idea how to do. I know it's possible because I've been backstabbed up there.

Try using an FPS config. I can supply you with some if you want. The game won't be pretty (and you can easily remove it if you don't like it) but being able to play properly is better than struggling at 15fps.

Nah, lowering the graphics actually decreases my performance (probably because having a better graphics card makes it take some of the load off of the CPU).

Double-jumping from the High Tower onto the metal thing that picks up the carts into the nest works.

Alternatively I think you can crouch-jump from the ground, to the crate, to the platform near their spawn door and climb the stairs to the nest, but don't quote me on that.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

Double-jumping from the High Tower onto the metal thing that picks up the carts into the nest works.

Alternatively I think you can crouch-jump from the ground, to the crate, to the platform near their spawn door and climb the stairs to the nest, but don't quote me on that.

The metal thing only works towards the end of the round, when the cart is being raised (as far as I know). The crouch-jump is what I'm looking for, I've got ithe hang of it now. The trick is to not crouch all the way.

The other day someone traded me their frying pan for one of my G.R.U. dupes. So now I have my "F.U.N.E.X.?" (renamed frying pan) along with a spare.

My personal favourite is the Familiar Fez, as I play spy a lot. Having bought the polycount pack, I've decided there's no point in using the sniper set.

My personal favourite is the Familiar Fez, as I play spy a lot. Having bought the polycount pack, I've decided there's no point in using the sniper set.

The ability to avoid headshots is completely negated by the inability to make headshots, but that Snaggletooth hat is awesome. Even if you don't like it, it gets huge demand for trades from what I've seen.

Speaking of high-demand hats, what's the best way to get a Max (bunny) hat?

The metal thing only works towards the end of the round, when the cart is being raised (as far as I know). The crouch-jump is what I'm looking for, I've got ithe hang of it now. The trick is to not crouch all the way.

You probably don't need it when you're double jumping, if I remember correctly. You just gotta have a little faith in the jump.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

I like the looks of ghastly gibus, and have dominated a player with it, but for some reason didn't get it. Sometime (probably tomorrow) I'll try that alien game, to get the parasite hat. I think that's co-op, you should join me.

And Giordano, double-jumps are only with the scout, and they do work from the high tower, but not with any other class.

I'm Bentomat on Steam, if anyone wants to add me and try to get some of the friend achievements.

E: Item limit reset, I got a mining helmet and 2 nataschas :thumbup:

Speaking of high-demand hats, what's the best way to get a Max (bunny) hat?

It was a limited edition thing I think, for buying the latest S&M.

Many believe that the 1980 eruption of Mt. Saint Helens was a catostrophic geological event, in reality it was the day that Jimi Hendrix returned to Earth from the next world and actually stood up next to a mountain and chopped it down with the edge of his hand.

-Random Youtuber